• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Holee shit--they somehow sorted the licensing issues?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
tenor.gif

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
any news on whether will it be available in the correct aspect ratio? (I assume they'll do the same as The Simpsons...)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Also please let this be the beginning of all the semi-lost Muppets content to finally be released. Muppets Sex & Violence, Muppet Tonight, etc. PLEASE.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance this is remastered?

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since they recreated that opening for the The Muppets movie that came out a few years ago, I have wanted to watch this show again.

Licensing must of been an absolute bitch to clear.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So many classics, Stallone, Steve Martin, Elton John, Donna Summers, Mark Hamil, Dom Delouise

i can't even picture today's stars doing a better job than these people did on that show.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt?!!?! Awesome! Can't wait to finally watch it. I though we might just get the first season or three but all five! Well that's a gap filled(but where's Pair of Kings and Aaron Stone Disney?!)

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I really really really hope this makes disney do something with The Muppet franchise.

Like I dunno, maybe have them do another variety show like this?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You have no idea how happy this has made me. I have been harassing the Twitter's of all companies involved for the last year to get this to happen.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I hope they're the British versions of the show, which are two minutes longer per episode. This feels like such a big moment. How right are they going to get it? Hopefully all the way right.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand being gun shy on that side the last 3 or so times they tried it didn't go great (even if the content itself wasn't bad)

Yeah, I can understand that. To be fair, the Muppets Now stuff they did recently is actually pretty good.

And honestly, I dunno if the variety show format would work nowadays. I just want them to do something new with those characters.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah, I can understand that. To be fair, the Muppets Now stuff they did recently is actually pretty good.

And honestly, I dunno if the variety show format would work nowadays. I just want them to do something new with those characters.
Muppets Now wasn't awful, but I don't think the "unscripted" gimmick worked. There were lots of times where you could feel the strain of improvisation. It just was not natural. The timing was poor, the spontaneity was hit or miss, some jokes went on way too long. I think the format was fine, but The Muppets need solid scripts.

Although something The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight had that I really liked was a sense of location. I would like any future Muppet show to retain this.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Excite! What excellent news.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

I think because today's actors just don't have the charm they had back then.

It just never seems to work well with actors in the last 20 years.

Then again not everyone can be Michael Caine

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think because today's actors just don't have the charm they had back then.

It just never seems to work well with actors in the last 20 years.

Then again not everyone can be Michael Caine
Using this as a springboard to discuss Muppets themselves rather than their human guest stars: there is something to be said about how the original crew were The Muppets who created the characters and performances out of their own minds, which created very consistent and naturalistic performances. This was how you could have so many interviews with Kermit and Miss Piggy where they felt just like real people. Jim and Frank were these characters. When their understudies took over it was a change, but they'd also been doing the characters for years under the guidance of the originals. I never disliked Whitmire's Kermit and have always appreciated the way he portrayed Kermit as an aging figure. I don't think Muppets Tonight is any less magical than The Muppet Show despite all the years that had passed. The naturalistic dialog and performances by the cast gels very well with the human guest stars they had at the time who never felt like they were there for a quick bit. I will never forget Garth Brooks singing Fiddler on the Roof.

But what I'm getting at is that "The Muppets" used to be highly specialized actors and writers doing something that came very natural to them. It created very holistic and organic experiences. It was something where human stars could be inserted and not at all feel out of place among the puppets. But as we get further and further away from their peak, they feel more and more like objects being picked back up and less like living characters who have always been there. There is a difference between "The Muppets are back" and "they are doing more Muppets" to me, you know what I mean? A lot of the time modern guest stars have the same exact quality as if they're walking on a green screen. They're not present with the Muppets because the naturalism as a whole has suffered.

I think the more recent Muppet content, starting with Muppets Most Wanted and continuing into The Muppets and Muppets Now, feels like Muppets being "done" instead of Muppets just "being." This can be a very difficult thing to describe. And I am hesitant to call it Nostalgia because the first Muppet content I ever watched was the 2010 film, which spurred me to consume a lot of nonconsecutive Muppets content. There is a certain magic that is missing right now.

I believe they can get that back but it takes something they don't have right now. I wish I knew what it was.

Edit: Buncha typos.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
The idea that I'll be able to show this to my son in a year or two literally brings a tear to my eye.