• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're really gonna do the multi spiderman thing aren't they?

I guess Spiderverse was so popular they figured why not do it for real? That way you can have Tom Hardy and Jared Leto hanging with Michael Keaton without too much drama and it even opens the door for Tobey Maguire to show up. Jamie Foxx might even imply Andrew Garfield will show up.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man 3 is reportedly the last Marvel Studios conjoined movie as-per the revised deal. It's unknown if Sony'll allow any more crossovers.
It's the last Spider-Man film in the current deal but the revised deal accounted for one more Spider-Man crossover appearance in a non-Spider-Man film, which is not currently accounted for.

Mar 3, 2018
multiverse-spider-man.jpg

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, including other MCU characters in these solo Spider-Man films is a contractual stipulation. Like, Sony wants to leverage Marvel's characters in their Spider-Man movies, otherwise the partnership is less valuable to them. They can produce their own Avenger-free Spider-Man films otherwise.

I get people wanting Pete to be his own man and not lean on father figures, but Tony and Fury were not huge parts of the previous two films anyway, and I like the dynamics of Pete playing off Tony or playing off Fury. Pete and Strange bouncing off each other? Sounds interesting! (It's also possible that characterizing the relationship as a "mentor" role is just speculation on THR's part.)

I also wonder if Strange's inclusion here is less about introducing the multiverse and more about cleaning up the ending of FFH?

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Strange and Peter were great together in Infinity War and clearly made an impact on him since Aunt May knew him in FFH.

I do not trust Sony Pictures with creative decisions since frankly they have done terribly since 2007 with the exception of Spider-Verse which, and I know I'm in the vast minority, I wish didn't have 3 gimmick characters on top of the three actual characters. They can't help themselves from overloading every possible thing into a movie so they can green light a million spin offs and sell a bunch of toys.

Marvel Studios is being smart here. They're ingraining spider-man in another Marvel character so he's harder to detach from the MCU, thus playing into future negotiations to keep the deal going between Sony and Disney. Furthermore, if they are setting up a multiverse, Sony can have Spider-Man in shitty Sony movies without screwing up any lore from the marvel movies

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
IIRC, including other MCU characters in these solo Spider-Man films is a contractual stipulation. Like, Sony wants to being leverage Marvel's characters in their Spider-Man movies, otherwise the partnership is less valuable to them; they can produce their own Avenger-free Spider-Man films otherwise.

I get people wanting Pete to be his own man and not lean on father figures, but Tony and Fury were not huge parts of the previous two films anyway, and I like the dynamics of Pete playing off Tony or playing off Fury. Pete and Strange bouncing off each other? Sounds interesting! (It's also possible that characterizing the relationship as a "mentor" role is just speculation on THR's part.)

I also wonder if Strange's inclusion here is less about introducing the multiverse and more about cleaning up the ending of FFH?
yeah, I imagine Dr Strange role is probably something like in Thor Ragnarok, just a small 1 or 2 scene to move the plot along.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I assumed Doctor Strange 2 would be out well before Spider-Man 3. But I love both of these characters, so whatever. I'm looking forward to it!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
IIRC, including other MCU characters in these solo Spider-Man films is a contractual stipulation. Like, Sony wants to being leverage Marvel's characters in their Spider-Man movies, otherwise the partnership is less valuable to them; they can produce their own Avenger-free Spider-Man films otherwise.

We must have watched different films.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
old man toby is going to be the one to drop the "great power..." line at the end too, book it.

What if Tobey's Spiderman is the one that dies in Miles Morales' world? And it's Andrew Garfield's Spidey that becomes his mentor? Then somehow it ends with Miles Morales showing up in Tom Holland's world, either by accident or to recruit him.

🤔

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I would have liked Black Panther to appear in Spidey 3, but with Chadwick Boseman passing...

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Can't nobody be in a spider-man movie without people immediately assuming they'll be a mentor. This will be a good dynamic looking at their past interactions, I'm with it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Can't nobody be in a spider-man movie without people immediately assuming they'll be a mentor. This will be a good dynamic looking at their past interactions, I'm with it.

Right, a lot of folks jumping to conclusions with that one. Look at how Dr. Strange has interacted with other characters in the MCU. He's...not really the mentor type.

I don't think of Fury in FFH as a mentor either.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he's way too much of an asshole for that and that's kind of what he is in the comics as well. I don't think him and Scarlet Witch are going to get along either.

edit: goddamn y'all editorialized the fuck out of this article with the title here.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange, I'll take him any way I can get him.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they would have Strange act as mentor to Parker, any more than Fury was acting as a mentor. But if they were going to do that, I feel like the point would be for Strange's character arc more than Parker's. Strange would have more to learn from the relationship and have more interesting places to move the character, though that would retread a lot of how they used Stark + Parker so I think they'll forgo that altogether.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know some people really hate Tony and Peter's relationship in these movies, but I genuinely do think it was well done and led to a lot of great moments in IW/Endgame.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Sony going to use the MCU multiverse as a backdoor to greenlight Raimi Spiderman-4 staring Tobey and Kirsten.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The last line will be Doctor Strange mournfully flinging Tom Holland into an alternate universe and sealing it off, screaming "I'm sorry, friend! It's the only way to save our universe! Whatever happens to you now is non-canon!"

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The perfect time to kill off Tom and bring back Tobey to achieve his true destiny.

Funny timing since they're about to team up in the comics.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Better see Tobey in that next trailer.

This might also mean there would be two Venom now.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The multiverse is such a good idea, why not just let mcguire, garfield, and holland all be cannon? I love it

Oct 27, 2017
This is really the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. Fully trust Feige to introduce the concept of the multiverse in the MCU without things getting too messy, then expanding on the consequences in future films. Then Sony can riff off that with their own schlocky movie with all three Spidey actors, Tom Hardy's Venom and quite possibly the Sinister Six. Conceptually exciting, will definitely have its faults but it's the sort of event film that they're unlikely to pass on and I'm interested in seeing it.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Let's get Andrew Garfield, Tobey Maguire, and Nicholas Cage up in here, please.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So, are they gonna have this movie be Spider-Verse and Sinister Six at the same time?