• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

The move puts Cumberbatch in the mentor role that was previously occupied by Robert Downey Jr., who played Tony Stark/Iron Man in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and by Samuel L. Jackson in Spider-Man: Far From Home, the latter reprising Nick Fury. The role gives Holland a chance to play opposite seasoned actors, gives Peter Parker a father figure and gives the movies extra star power while also tying them to the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe.

EDIT - Annnnnd I spelled Multiverse wrong in my title, can a mod fix that please? Thank you.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
So Tobey and Andrew Garfield going to be cast soon then right? That'd be so fucking good if it happens.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FirmImpeccableIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

*MULTIVERSE INTENSIFIES*

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Maybe the Jamie Fox Electro is the same Electro who somehow fell into the MCU dimension.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I don't love it. This is the *third* movie. He doesn't need a mentor/father figure. Like didn't we just resolve that at the end of FFH? Spider-Man needs to start swinging on his own.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
They're really gonna do the multi spiderman thing aren't they?

It's definitely looking that way, between this and Jamie Foxx returning as Electro.

Watch as Tom Hardy gets cast as Venom.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the compromise that Sony and Disney came up with when they had their spat over movie rights was that the next Spider-Man movie would tie into the wider Sony Spider-verse somehow. So I'm kind of expecting Tom Hardy's Venom to show up.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Baby spiderman sucks. They always have to put another hero in these movies to play opposite him.

If this opens up cameos from the other spidermans tho thats gonna be hella exciting.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out Dr. Strange 2 was just Raimi's Spider-Man 4 this whole time! The pieces all fit together.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Feige can't give DC a break. BvS was announced and then Feige pushed for Civil War. DC then announces New Gods and Feige pushes for Eternals and now DC revealed that Flash will feature the multiverse and Feige wants to rush this film out.

Got to give Feige credit, he knows how to corner DC films by doing it first.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I'm hoping he's not actually playing a mentor role, I feel like that would defeat the purpose the the Tony Stark storyline we had from Civil War through Far From Home.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Dr strange is gonna be popping up in a lot of upcoming movies I bet for that multiverse shit.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get over it and have fun with this but I hate that we can't just do a Spider-Man movie anymore.

Oct 29, 2017
This is getting more interesting after the completely random and confusing news of Jamie Foxx and Electro...but also...out of everything to cross over for a multi-verse film...Electro??

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So that's how Sony is going to connect their not MCU films to the MCU Spider-man, multiverse. Works for me.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
If Sam Raimi ends up being a creative consultant for this movie, we might get the Spider-Man 3 he always wanted!

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Man if they get Tobey and Andrew to come back and be on the screen together taking on Kang with Dr Strange. Take my money right fucking now. What a world we live in

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Feels like not, this seems more like a multi-verse plot and who's better to introduce Spidey to a multiverse than Dr. Strange?
What's what I'm hoping for. Let Dr. Strange introduce the multiverse, then let Spider-Man handle shit.

I mean hell, you could argue we had Mysterio of all people play a mentor role for Spider-Man, time to let him be his own man.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm so tired of them needing to give him an MCU mentor. I just want a MCU Spidey film without all the other Avengers.
I'll get over it and have fun with this but I hate that we can't just do a Spider-Man movie anymore.
This is pretty much how I feel. I know it's gonna be fun and it's gonna probably an absolutely entertaining movie, but it is a little disheartening that we need to see Peter get another mentor as if he hasn't learned so much with the help of Tony and the Avengers.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck does Spidey need a father figure when Aunt May is right there?