• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario and Master Chief are LOCKS imo.

Link could be good but dunno if the Zelda games have as broad appeal/recogniztion. Pikachu but to me I associate it with the card games/cartoon before game.

Lara Croft sort of faded in popularity but I do like her on there.

Ask me in like 10 years and I will probably say minecraft guy is a lock

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If it was of video game Presidents, who would it be? I'd go with:

President George Sears aka Solidus Snake (MGS2)
President Michael Wilson (Metalwolf Chaos)
President from Saint's Row IV (that's the player character)
President John Henry Eden (Fallout 3)

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Mario
Pikachu
Donkey Kong
Lara Croft

Even with the new movie coming out I just don't see "Sonic the Hedgehog" as enough of a household name. Maybe 25 years ago. Donkey Kong ekes out Pac-Man, imho, too, given that much of the newer generations probably have absolutely no idea what Pac-Man is. (Yes, that's terrifying.)

And Lara Croft beats out other human characters. Three feature films each starring an Academy Award winning actress, reboot upon reboot upon reboot. Old enough (90s) and iconic enough (00s, and I don't mean the decade).

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the mount...

Probably in part, but I would guess that in 2020, more people would know the more recent POTUSes and not necessarily Theodore Roosevelt so much. When I watch UK quiz shows, for example, the POTUSes that people seem to know are Washington, Lincoln, FDR, and anyone from Bill Clinton on.

Anyway, my answers would be: Mario and Pac-Man (two locks, maybe Pac-Man's not a lock in thirty years, though), Sonic (it could just be the movie's success talking, but the little guy endures across media and has done so for thirty years now; that's too impressive to ignore), and Pikachu (even if I've sometimes heard people say, "Oh, it's Pokemon" instead of naming his actual specific Pokemon species name when they see him in plushie form or whatever; they know what game he's from).

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
For those that say Pac-Man, what Pac-Man would be pictured up there? A simple circle with a slit like the in-game sprite and title, the modern design we see in Smash Bros., or the OG cabinet art:
latest

Mario and Pikachu are the only locks imo.

In a perfect world it'd be Ms. Pac-Man but I'd go with the modern hockey puck style Pac...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief is too similar to Doom Guy and I doubt for example our parents could have named them unless maybe they play a console regularly,
Nah. Chief represents one of the most significant changes to take place in gaming, and dominated a decade with Halo 1/2/3.

Honestly doubt parents know Doom guy given its sales numbers and limited install base (in comparison to Halo). There's also books, anime and TV, it reaches beyond Doom guy culturally.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
v5bLaLt.png

Mario for being the videogame mascot

Doomguy for the FPS origins

Minecraft for the imagination sandbox genre (is there any game like it yet?)

Everquest for MMO pioneering

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Probably this.

Let's be honest, people, per the OP's rules, most non-gamers aren't going to know who Master Chief is.

I remember when I used to work in retail, there was a boy and his mom checking out at my register. The boy was wearing a Master Chief costume. I told them that I liked his Master Chief costume, and the mom replied that she didn't know what that was, and that her son was dressed up as Halo.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ralph H. Baer
Shigeru Miyamoto
Gabe Newell (for the digital revolution that was/is steam)
Gunpei Yokoi

then graffiti all of them with Todd Howard's face

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario, Sonic, and Master Chief are easy locks as some of the most iconic characters in gaming. It's really up to that 4th slot between, as many have already said, pikachu or pac-man. I think you could make a strong argument for either. Lara Croft is another interesting one, but I don't think she makes the cut. Unfortunately Mt Rushmore lists always have tough cuts, and I think she's just one of them.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's always interesting to see the differing takes on who's too recent to be included in the canon of video game characters. In this case, since the direct comparison is Mt. Rushmore, I thought it'd be interesting to compare the relative recency of the presidents on Mt. Rushmore to establish a hypothetical baseline for exactly how recent a character is allowed on the Mt. Rushmore of video games.

Mt. Rushmore covers 134 years of American history (1776–1909), and was begun in 1927, when the US was about 151 years old. At the time the project was begun, only presidents from the first ~89% of American history were included. I propose that 1972 represents the first year of video games proper, with Pong as the first broadly recognizable video game, and the Magnavox Odyssey as the first console. Accordingly, we have roughly 49 years of video game history to work with, and only games from the first 43 years would fall under the Mt. Rushmore 89% guideline.

I propose that for the Mt. Rushmore of video game characters, any character who debuted in 2014 or earlier is eligible.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Mario, Sonic, Minecraft Steve, Master Chief is who'd personally think would be the most fitting.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Lotta people in this thread thinking their picks are far bigger than they actually are: Kratos? Master Chief? Come on now.

I think it all depends on what the head stand for, and OP kindly pointed these facts out;
  1. Mainstream popularity
  2. Quality of IP
  3. Enduring legacy
and despite some of Sonic's questionable sequels, I don't see how the 4 cannot be;

Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic, Pikachu.

May 5, 2018
Gex, Klonoa and Bubsy

Mario, Sonic, Master Chief(?)
How dare you lump Klonoa with those mascots. Because Klonoa isn't on par with Gex nor Bubsy and should be replaced with Buck Bumble or Awesome Possum.

I'm kidding. But I thought the Klonoa games are rather beloved by whose who played it right? I actually want to play Door to Phantomile.

But my answer to this would be Mario, Pac Man, Pikachu and Master Chief.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I need to see how Halo Infinite performs and is received before I could commit Master Chief to a spot over Doomguy. Halo's peak was undoubtedly huge, but Doom was both the trailblazer for the FPS genre and is more currently relevant. If Halo doesn't disappoint, I'd give it to Chief, but otherwise I'd side with Doomguy.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Lotta people in this thread thinking their picks are far bigger than they actually are: Kratos? Master Chief? Come on now.

I think it all depends on what the head stand for, and OP kindly pointed these facts out;
  1. Mainstream popularity
  2. Quality of IP
  3. Enduring legacy
and despite some of Sonic's questionable sequels, I don't see how the 4 cannot be;

Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic, Pikachu.
Yeah it's absolutely this.