• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying Final Fantasy Tactics recently. Trying to use the party members that I never really used in the past. I suspect that many of you who played the game can have an idea of some characters that are the least likely to be picked, but I expect that many of you forgot someone...

Here I was, finishing the optional dungeon and starting the optional battle when this guy showed up
latest

It does join the party after the fight but I never used it. Having defeated everything, I was left with only Random Battles.

I want to talk about those who went unused, those who are barely remembered but where still there. We have to honor them somehow.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Regal

latest

Iirc, he comes in to the party only at the halfway point, and then for the entire time, he only fights with his feet. I remember wanting to see him break those cuffs so bad. It pissed me off and I felt his skills went mostly unused.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Yeah, this is why Vincent always is the first to spring to mind. It's a good thing he had that good 90s vampire aesthetic going for him or no one would have ever gave a shit
You don't pick him up on your first trip to the mansion?

Lost Number is weak to Stop and you have Choco/Mog at the time. Summon that and pelt it with magic to kill the physical attack side and your lower level selves can finish it off on the first visit.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Is this a RPG party members you don't like thread?

I'm not sure how an objective consensus is supposed to be reached here on which party members in a particular game are never used because everyone has their favorites.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Nah VIII characters can be junctioned into any role you want, other than Limit Breaks the differences are very minimal. Everyone's playable, and you get them all very quickly except Irvine.
Exactly, so since Zell, Irvine, and Squall had the best limit breaks, there was zero reason to use anyone else.

Cast Aura, unlimited limit breaks. Defeat anything.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not the best example since the game makes you use every character at different points, but I don't think I ever purposefully used Bobbery in Paper Mario 2.

More recently, in Ys 8 I never used the mercenary guy. I don't even remember his name, that's how little I cared about him.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Exactly, so since Zell, Irvine, and Squall had the best limit breaks, there was zero reason to use anyone else.

Cast Aura, unlimited limit breaks. Defeat anything.
You know... except character preference? It's not like X where Kimahri is notably gimped and uninvolved in the story or Amarant where he comes in on the second half of disc two, in FF8 you can play whoever you like and they'll be good. 90% of players aren't min-maxing limit breaks.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Snow in FFXIII. Worst character in the series and Fang is almost as good of a sentinel while being much better at everything else.

Don't think I've used Red XIII in a single playthrough ever.

You monster. My priority party member every time.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Snow in FFXIII. Worst character in the series and Fang is almost as good of a sentinel while being much better at everything else.

Fang is great but her HP/Endurance doesn't hold a candle to Snow. They did a great job balancing the XIII characters. I think Amarant is a clear cut weak link in the IX cast, he seems similar to Zidane but without the fire power.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuffie sucks. Cait-Sith sucks. Never felt like I was missing out on anything leaving them on the sidelines.

I suspect most people don't bother with Aeris for the obvious reason that levelling her up is kinda pointless.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Is this a RPG party members you don't like thread?

I'm not sure how an objective consensus is supposed to be reached here on which party members in a particular game are never used because everyone has their favorites.
Because there are some games where certain party members are at a clear disadvantage. Kimahri from FFX for instance was supposed to be a versatile/well-rounded character but because of how the sphere grid is set up he winds up lagging behind everyone else in your party. When Kimahri is sorta decent at everything but great at nothing he ends up feeling mediocre in a game where you can only have 3 of 7 party members battling at a time.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Honestly I'd say Sharla from Xenoblade Chronicles 1. I've only ever used her in that brief period before you get any extra party members. I've always found Shulk's light heal to be enough healing for me, and with Sharla's mediocre damage output and terrible chain attacks, I find that battles take way too long with her in the party. She only starts to become decent once she gets Headshot, but by that point, you have so many other party members that she just feels left in the dust. It doesn't help that, following her introduction, her story arc is ignored until near the end of the game (which can easily be 50-60 hours worth of downtime).

Nov 17, 2017
orig_04ae75fdb93a946cadfeba24b26d66d4.jpg

It's Mia! ....

The lovable scamp who keeps brightening your life? Mia?

I think Mia is probably one of the most missable party members in a game I've played. In Xenoblade X, when you first find her she just seems like a normal NPC who gives you a pretty generic quest to gather items for her. She's a mechanic who wants to be a BLADE and fight monsters/explore Mira, but no one will give her a chance. So you get her some basic supplies so she can prove herself and that's it.

Like over 100 hours later in post game, I suddenly find her hanging out in a giant tree a continent over. She's gone out on an adventure to prove herself but it's not going well. Then commenced a series of silly sidequests where you find Mia all over the world involved in various shenanigans and have to save her from the danger she keeps getting herself into.

Eventually she actually becomes a real BLADE and surprisingly joins your party. Even more surprising she's actually a really good party member. I'm not sure how many XCX players got her or are even aware of her.

OP
OP
TheCed

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, most side characters go unused in FFT

Rafa
Malak
Cloud
Meliadoul

Irvine with Aura and Pulse Ammo is probably some of the best damage you can do in the game

Rafa is a great Mage but never used her main class.
Cloud with Quick Cast and Finishing Touch is quite good.
Meliadoul has greatly improved in the PSP version by being able to hit characters even if they didn't have armor.