• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Was Freedom Cry really underrated? I mean, I heard tons of people talking about it and how it was great.
Lightning Returns was the least enjoyable of the FF13 games, for me at least. I do not like games where I have a timer to do stuff.

I agree with Remember Me and DA2. Both were great games and people gave me too much flak.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a defender on qualities of DA 2 for a while now, but underrated? No. It isn't. In fact, given critic reviews, I'd call it a bit overrated in that regard. It has fantastic elements to it, but as an overall package, it's pretty kinda terrible.

Couldnt agree more on Sleeping Dogs through.
Seems to be more about public perception than critical scores. Still, this is definitely more of a list as it's mostly just short blurbs than detailed explanations. It doesn't really say why DAII's story is so good other than saying what the concept is about.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough people talk about Ghost Trick

So I am going to list Ghost Trick on the underrated list.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love the love for Sleeping Dogs. It's a true crime that we never got a sequel.

I see you.

<3
untitled-104-faster9ss4z.gif

212259EDE889991F657DDDF396371C0A731C37BB

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pathologic 2 is the videogame we'll spend 2021-2030 reading retrospectives about how genius it was.

I don't shame game reviewers for not getting it, it's a terrible game by design. But anybody who cares about videogames as art should be grateful this game exists: It's incredible, a testament to what interactivity can say about the human experience that no other medium can.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I know it was well received but I expected Dark Souls, sub 90 meta but most people seem to regard it as one of if not the best game of the decade.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is when I go though my own personal list of underrated gems, turns out that they're just too niche to even warrant being mentioned.

Like their reach is too limited to even expect a theoretical mass adoption that was somehow missed.

Stephen's Sausage Roll
Unexplored
Star Traders: Frontiers
Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up
^^^ My past 4 years GOTY picks.

I could go on for days listing out other titles that filled out my Top 10 lists over the years.

Oh well. At least I can be satisfied knowing the market is flexible enough to support unsung heroes, even if they don't see critical mass attention or sales.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lightning Returns probably isn't the most underrated JRPG of the decade. I'd hand it to the Trails trilogy. I'm sure Lightning Returns outsold all three combined..

I don't think being underrated has anything to do with sales. While Lightning Returns definitely outsold all of the games from the Trails trilogy, it's a game people don't like that much unlike the other three.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Gunslinger deserves all the recognition it can get. For such a sub par series, Gunslinger's creative narrative flair, arcade mechanics, and historical nuggets make it one of the most enjoyable FPS' I've ever played. I lost count how many times I've played through that game.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That's a pretty good list. I would add Wandersong, Super Time Force, Ghost Trick and Legend of Grimrock I & II which are some of my favorite games from this decade.

Jun 23, 2019
Phew. The moment I read MAG I had flashbacks to that amazing game. Sony really needs to consider bringing it back. It would make bank in this GAAS dominated landscape.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
"What if Grand Theft Auto had heart and was good?"

That sentence perfectly sums up how I feel about Sleeping Dogs, too.

also this list has Call of Juarez: Gunslinger on it, and that game is fun as hell

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
I think there are at least a dozen other games that can easily fit this list and replace some of its games such as Dragon Age II. That being said, I totall agree with Alpha Protocl. It was a rare type of game and it was so much fun!

Oct 25, 2017
My picks:
  • Terraria: which gets no respect despite being very fun and selling 27 million copies.
  • Talos Principle: the best puzzle game since Portal, dammit
  • Dark Souls 2: which is in some ways my favorite of the entire series

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Crackdown 3 was robbed.

But Sleeping Dogs is definitely a better game than any GTA in my opinion, it's Hong Kong was so evocative and the martial arts combat was brilliant.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sleeping Dogs was a cool game and i wish we got a sequel. The combat system was great. Good story, Decent VA. It's probably my favorite Square Enix Game that's not a RPG

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Alpha Protocol is in the house, yeah ! ...
They are missing Spec Ops : The Line and most importantly:
capsule_616x353.jpg

And I think after all the glory Witcher 3 did received, Witcher 2 is now overlooked when it's a great game too

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I know it was well received but I expected Dark Souls, sub 90 meta but most people seem to regard it as one of if not the best game of the decade.
The premise of the list is basically "games that weren't embraced by the public to the extent that the author feels they may have warranted", not "widely beloved and profoundly influential game got 6 less internet points from critics than some say it deserved"

Oct 28, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 should be on the overrated list. It's Watch Dogs 1 that deserves to be on this one. Fantastic game that would have got the reception it deserves if people weren't caught up in the hype and downgrade crap.

Driver San Francisco was great btw and it's another example of a game having so much pre release negativity before being given a chance.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I love Resonance of Fate. I still haven't finished it because it gets so incredibly grindy mid-game, but I love the characters and world and the whole steampunk thing they got going on, and the whole concept of their town being on this giant gear shaft tower far above the ground is just cool. I need to get back into it

That game had no business failing. It was superb

1sVViiY.gif

pHLfKeX.gif

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
My picks:
  • Terraria: which gets no respect despite being very fun and selling 27 million copies.
  • Talos Principle: the best puzzle game since Portal, dammit
  • Dark Souls 2: which is in some ways my favorite of the entire series
Dark Souls 2 is the highest rated one on MC which makes it the most overrated game of the decade, since it sucks.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Was sleeping Dogs really underrated? I feel it just didn't do the GTA numbers the publisher probably was hoping for, but i feel the press and fans did like it.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
"Here's the truth: Dragon Age 2 is the best game in the series."

Yea I don't think so. In retrospect the game was maybe overlycriticized due to being so inferior to Origins, and there is to be a discussion of DA2 being better than Inquisition, but it sure as hell isn't nearly as good as Origins.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Although it may sound strange to say, Bloodborne legitimately was very underrated by gaming press.
Metacritic of 92 is not underrated at all. Keep in mind it had performance issues.

I love Bloodborne and would rate it a 10/10, but given the issues with performance and the, somewhat, obtuse storytelling I don't think it's unfair that it ended up at 92.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Is it really underrated though? I've heard nothing, but good things about it. I guess it's not mentioned too much.

I personally think it's underrated, yeah. I think it took the Burnout Paradise model a step forward, and the ability to jump from car to car was something GTAV would basically adopt. I think Driver: SF got decent reviews, but it's clear it didn't sell super well.

To multiplayer was so original for a driving game, and the campaign was creative & crazy.

Sidebar: Starhawk is one of the most overlooked gems from the previous gen. "Build and Battle" was the precursor to Fortnite, honestly.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
"Here's the truth: Dragon Age 2 is the best game in the series."

Yea I don't think so. In retrospect the game was maybe overlycriticized due to being so inferior to Origins, and there is to be a discussion of DA2 being better than Inquisition, but it sure as hell isn't nearly as good as Origins.

yeah hard agree with you. Origins is vastly better than the two other games in the series, both in story and combat.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really have to play The Missing and Pathologic 2, the things I've heard about both have made me so eager to give them a go.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst was robbed.
Glad I'm not alone on this. I remember playing the hell out of it and loving so much about it, from the open world elements to the characters and plot. It felt like a really solid step over the first game, but feels like a lot of people put it at the same level as the first. Dang, I almost wanna redownload it to play some more now.