• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Did they search for the localized names in countries which have different Pokémon names? I have a hard time believing anyone cares about Golem...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Slopwoke on Spain isntead of Charizard, or abra, or gengar, or articuno?
Yeah this list is not right. Have they asked like 3 persons in each country?
Like ive never have heard anyone old or young have slowpoke as their favourite pokemon here.

This whole map really sounds like tales from my ass.
Edit
Wait they used google search data? Then yeahn tales from their ass. They didNt even take into account pokemons that sound like real words in some countries.

Last edited:

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I saw the picture and got excited that they might have identified what real world region all the Pokémon might be from.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
There's no goddamn way that Kabuto is the most popular Pokemon in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
I must've infected my country when I dressed up as Gengar as a child, or maybe it was because my parents dressed up as Team Rocket.............

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah lemme hit this up with a giant.

rg0l844or1y11.png

Heck, even with the highly suspicious Genwunning of this chart, I refuse to believe nowhere in the world wouldn't have Psyduck as it's favourite. You really going to have Mankey and Weepinbell above Psyduck of all things.

EDIT: If the data is only going to check the Kanto 151 then buzz off and do the chart again. You can do all 898 now.

Last edited:

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought Pikachu would be Canada's choice, not Charizard.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno how anyone could manage collecting data about such a thing, but using google's search data is a bit dumb. like I don't look up my fave pokemon on Google cuz I know all about them already, lol? People usually tend to look up terms they, well, don't know.

Like, I'm going to be googling pyukumuku cause I keep on forgetting its learnset

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Onix isn't the most popular Pokemon in Brazil.

Also that poll seems to be only gen 1, so it was inaccurate from the start?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Onix isn't the most popular Pokemon in Brazil.

Also that poll seems to be only gen 1, so it was inaccurate from the start?

I think they only checked Gen 1.

08-most-searced-pokemon-poster.png

Still, all 151? What the hell, get out of here with you 25th anniversary "celebration" if you are going to ignore 7/8th of the franchise.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest it's only gen 1 so they don't have to explain why Guardivar leads in so many areas. Also any pokemon that are normal words are likely only on there for that reason.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
A small poll would've been accurate then google search data in this instance. That methodology section is a travesty. So goddamn thin.
Nothing on how they accounted for names that aren't unique, nothing on how they accounted for translations. I can think of a few other flaws but those are the big two that they just left out of the write-up completely.

I think they only checked Gen 1.

Still, all 151? What the hell, get out of here with you 25th anniversary "celebration" if you are going to ignore 7/8th of the franchise.
It would be pretty time-consuming to put all the names into trends data for all the countries. Still...

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
did they search for the localized names in each country or did they just plug in the American names? They also clearly didn't take into account that some of the Pokémon names are also words... Kabuto is obviously not the most popular Pokémon in japan, but it means helmet and is also the name of a million other things.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
1200px-Ash_Gengar.png

Glad to be on the winning team. :) I would've been happy with Gengar, Snorlax, Slowpoke, Magikarp, or Psyduck.

Why is Onix so popular? I don't really understand that one, he's not cute or funny or weird.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would be pretty time-consuming to put all the names into trends data for all the countries. Still...

Well they should have put in the time and effort to check and put in every pokemon, a 25th anniversary only comes once.

Who does this company think they are, Gamefreak or something?

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

If there was a pokemon equivalent, I'd use that

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Nice, my home country Philippines w Abra. Always wondered why I preferred Abra.

JP w Kabuto? Interesting

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What? I never even heard of Onix, I don't trust this.
Psyduck should be the top Pokemon where I live.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Yeah this list is probably the worst one I've seen, ever. Incredibly flawed methodology and the gen 1 bias on top of that.

I'd leave a comment on their site but I guess they don't allow comments lol

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Abra the local province is the one being googled in the Philippines, not the Pokemon.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Being brazilian is really strange to see Onix, here I see so much love for Charizard and Gengar, is very easy to find a tattoo of these two.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, judging from what I can see here, the data they're using is probably unfiltered/uninformed and therefore garbage re: Kabuto, Onix, Paras, and probably plenty of the other oddbals.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
As the official inofficial german representative, i call bollocks on Golem being most popular over here. Heck it's not even the Alolan one with the cool beard! ;D

It's probably Charizard or someone else of the common most popular ones.

Personal fav is Scizor, followed by Gengar.

Bonejack
Golem... Why? Golem?? GoLeM???
(Not sorry)

I know, right?