• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
01-most-popular-pokemon-worldmap-1.jpg

As we can see, while Pikachu dominates on a global scale — accounting for roughly one in every 10 Pokémon-related searches around the world — local favorites crop up from country to country. Several clusters appear in various regions. In Europe, the tortoise-like Golem is the most uniquely popular Pokémon in the adjoining countries of Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovakia.

Onix is the most popular Pokémon in the cluster of Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, and Colombia, with searches for the boulderous serpentine occurring as much as eight times the global average rate. The rare, versatile Eevee is the most uniquely popular Pokémon in four countries — Denmark, Finland, Latvia, and Lithuania, with searches for these Pokémon occurring at twice the rate it does globally.

There are a lot of information in the link below. It's a pretty interesting data to look at, if you're curious.

thetoyzone.com

The Most Popular Pokémon Around The World

In celebration of Pokémon’s 25th anniversary, we used Google search data to find out which is the most popular Pokémon in every country around the world.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i dont think people searching for onix in brazil have much to do with the pokemon...

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry everyone, it seems the UK is responsible for the relentless overuse of Charizard in recent years.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
searching for onix in portuguese can be either a precious stone, a popular car, the name of a minister or a suggestion google gives for "inox"

the pokemon is really down on the list

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "onix" and "golem" are probably more searches for the gemstone and the mythical creature, respectively.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
it just being the original 151 and based on Google searches makes it seem pretty innacurate to me. Fun and novel, but yeah.

If you factored in every 'mon and used Google you'd get like, "Max IV Garchomp"

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Lol Philippines is inaccurate because there is a rapper here named Abra trended for awhile. I demand a recount.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is that really reliable? Onix is a common word and also the name of a car, and Golem is just a common word. If they're using Google trends for this what was the specific terms they were checking? Japan also has the same issue with "Kabuto" not being just the name of a Pokemon.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Did they only use gen 1 pokemon for this? I know some of them are obviously the most popular and recognizable ones, but with absolutely no pokemon like Lucario and Gardevoir on here over the likes of Muk and Jynx I'm inclined to believe it is just gen 1. Which kinda sucks for a 25th anniversary celebration thing.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
The hell is going on in Mozambique and Kenya for the fine citizens to believe Gloom is the best Pokémon lol.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I have questions on this...

First, they ONLY surveyed the first 151? I have a VERY hard time not seeing any other Gens listed at all in this. Lucario not at all, considering he's in Smash etc?

Also, I don't know if it's the best to correlated "most popular" with "most searched". Some of these could just be something looking up game data or something on PoGo, rather than them being popular because they are well-loved or whatever in those regions.

I just don't think this is very complete data just by looking at Google search trends. As others pointed out, other characters, cars, and other things also share those names.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Paras being no.1 in India and Pakistan seems wrong. I think Paras being a common name in India may have skewed the results there.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll be damned Jynx actually showed up.
Charizard for Canada? Bah how boring.
Kabuto fels....so boring too! I literally wrote off Kabuto as a "who cares" Pokemon and now to see I'm totally off what some highly regard is sorta surprising and funny to me. xD

EDIT: Oh, this used Google Search data?? Interestring metric I guess.. :S

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this based around search engines? Because in Brazil one of the most popular cars is the Chevrolet Onix
106169_1

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
I hate this type of infographic, since it's never the actual most popular thing, and it's just the thing more popular there than average.

golem isn't the most popular anywhere, I don't care what this thing says.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm thinking the info might not be the most reliable cause having been to Japan. I don't think I've ever seen any Kabuto stuff in any pokemon store lol.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm a Brazilian who loves Pokemon since always and I NEVER saw someone praising Onix.