• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Even though he has no idea why that red-haired lady is so fucking angry at him.
I mean... he doesn't need to. An earthquake doesn't need to know why an earthquake survivor hates earthquakes. Everyone in that battle isn't getting their revenge against Thanos. The movie isn't about Thanos. He's out of the picture 10 minutes in because his arc was in Infinity War.

He's only in that final battle, and really the only reason the final battle exists at all, so that the movie can make the statement that that very same "inevitability" can be curbed by these people standing together. The thread to reintegrate him in the movie is little more than a contrivance, not really key to giving him an arc. It's just the catalyst to kickstart the avalanche they failed to stop last time. (I know I used the earthquake analogy before, but you get the idea)

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
"HERE'S MY SUNDAY BEST!"

Marvel-Super-Heroes-Arcade-Coin-Op-Mame-Iron-Man-2.gif

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The line is huge. Considering that it wasn't originally in Iron Man 1.

Oh I know where the line is from, I just don't feel it in the scene. In Iron Man 1 it is huge whereas here it feels like a catchphrase being thrown out that means nothing other than hey that's that guys catchphrase. Didn't work for me.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That story feels like a tall tale. Like, the rest of the scene doesn't make sense in retrospect if it wasn't building to that line.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I see what you're saying

Thanos saying 'I am inevitable' in the hut before his death and then repeating it prior to him trying to snap on the battlefield - the repetition of it (and it having no mention in IW) seemed in script terms to be leading to a counterpoint exactly like one 'I am Iron Man' would bring

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely shocked this was a late addition.
I actually guessed that the 'I am inevitable' line and callback were written purely for Tony's reply. Because honestly, it's a bit of a weird thing for old Thanos to say…

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... he doesn't need to. An earthquake doesn't need to know why an earthquake survivor hates earthquakes. Everyone in that battle isn't getting their revenge against Thanos. The movie isn't about Thanos. He's out of the picture 10 minutes in because his arc was in Infinity War.

He's only in that final battle, and really the only reason the final battle exists at all, so that the movie can make the statement that that very same "inevitability" can be curbed by these people standing together.
Shit I'm really bad at writing posts.

Just meant that I found funny when he reacted to Scarlet Witch yelling at him for killing Vision even though he doesn't know that because that's what the beheaded Thanos did. It was the "I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE" reply that made me chuckle in the battle scene. Guess I'll stop writing in this thread now haha.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Just meant that I found funny when he reacted to Scarlet Witch yelling at him for killing Vision even though he doesn't know that because that's what the beheaded Thanos did. It was the "I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE" reply that made me chuckle in the battle scene. Guess I'll stop writing in this thread now haha.
lol it's cool I may have just misread what you meant.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

It's not you, but other people have criticized the movie that the steaks "are lower" because that thanos doesn't know them. That didn't matter to thanos though.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. I'm just glad it didn't end on a jokey quip like Joss Whedon probably would've done.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I like the line, it's a final fuck you to thanos and the way he sounds off, and the way I heard in the cinema and Tony's expressions just before the snap is a moment of both human arrogance and triumph. It was masterfully acted. I thought it for the scene pretty well, stealing the villain his moment of victory.

Thanos thought he was inevitable, but iron Man stopped the supposed inevitable, classic.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I see what you're saying

I would definitely believe that Robert Downey Jr. came up with the line and/or the idea for ending the movie that way. But it doesn't make sense as an on-the-spot improvisation. Without the surprise reveal, there's no reason to shoot the press conference scene in the first place.

It's a nice story though. :)

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Pepper Potts as Rescue was another one of these collaborative serendipities?

"Iron Man is going to die in this battle"

"How do we get Pepper there in time to see him?"

"..."

"Put her in a suit!"

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's not you, but other people have criticized the movie that the steaks "are lower" because that thanos doesn't know them. That didn't matter to thanos though.
Yeah! To me that's even more terrifying, it's like "oh I murder millions of people, what's another little ass planet to the kill count" or "I killed half of the universe and I will go full genocide this time" that makes Thanos a scary villain for me. Kinda his version of "for me it was a Tuesday" like Bison from the Street Fighter movie.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they went that direction instead of having
Arya appear behind Thanos

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really upset we never got a Groot/Iron Man "I am -" off. Guess I'll settle with the "I am Steve Rogers" from Infinity War.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I wonder if Pepper Potts as Rescue was another one of these collaborative serendipities?

"Iron Man is going to die in this battle"

"How do we get Pepper there in time to see him?"

"..."

"Put her in a suit!"
I mean a) you get another female hero
b) Pepper has worn a suit before
c) if there was ANY time for her to put a suit on, it's now
d) like you said, convenience so she can have a farewell
e) people were asking at panels if she was gonna be Rescue since the lead up to Iron Man 3

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was the perfect line to use there. And there's nothing awkward about it.

I've a hard time imagining Tony just...snapping without speaking there. That would've been awkward.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I love the line. A good alternative, " and I am an Avenger"

Or is that not good

Also, joke one, " and I am an Avengers: Endgame"

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
That line made the ending for me. The whole time pre-Endgame I thought Cap would sacrifice and IM would live out his life. As soon as I heard that line, I just went "it had to be him."

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kind of hard to believe that the most obvious and natural line had to be improvised or cooked up by an editor, respectively.

same thing happened with Apocalypse Now, they were filming a movie where willard was sent to kill kurtz, and all throughout filming they didn't know how the movie was going to end, until they finally stumbled upon the idea of willard killing kurtz.

sometimes you overlook the stuff thats right infront of you

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely believe that Robert Downey Jr. came up with the line and/or the idea for ending the movie that way. But it doesn't make sense as an on-the-spot improvisation. Without the surprise reveal, there's no reason to shoot the press conference scene in the first place.

It's a nice story though. :)

Except you can't say that, because you don't know what the original ending was...

It's possible that they were using the press conference to establish a totally different plot thread, but we'll never know.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the obvious impact of seeing his face in that moment, why the hell did Tony not have his helmet on? For the "I am Iron Man" moment, yeah sure I can see him removing it. But he goes up to Thanos to steal the stones without his helmet on too, and nearly gets decked in the fucking face. Why? I don't remember it getting destroyed. For the snap they could've had him just take it off at that point.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the thread title, I was thinking, what one line was so pivotal to the movie?

But yep, that one was it. lol. It's a killer ending.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Aside from the obvious impact of seeing his face in that moment, why the hell did Tony not have his helmet on? For the "I am Iron Man" moment, yeah sure I can see him removing it. But he goes up to Thanos to steal the stones without his helmet on too, and nearly gets decked in the fucking face. Why? I don't remember it getting destroyed. For the snap they could've had him just take it off at that point.

I think he only wears it once in the whole movie - during the final battle.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He wears it in 2012 NY as well.

But yeah, it's off at the end so we can see him emote. One of the few times it didn't bother me. At this point, everyone in the MCU has suits with auto-removable helmets, for that very reason lmao

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean yeah that's what I'm saying. That was the finale of the final battle lol. If there was anytime to wear his helmet, it was then. When he was point blank with Thanos. Tony should know that better than anyone as he took straight hits from Thanos that would've killed him if it wasn't for his armor on Titan. Seemed very stupid for him not to put it on.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That scene is perfect. I know there are some viewers who question why it had to be Iron Man that snapped the gauntlet instead of Carol or Thor, but the set-up of tricking Thanos and snatching the stones away from him without him realizing is just perfect for Tony because the nanotech armor assimilates the gauntlet upon touching it, allowing the stones to transfer over to Tony. It's a really clever use of the Iron Man armor, which in the past isn't really utilized very well every time they change it up.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That line made the ending for me. The whole time pre-Endgame I thought Cap would sacrifice and IM would live out his life. As soon as I heard that line, I just went "it had to be him."
It's not even a hindsight thing, but I was always so surprised so many people thought this. The story has been building to tony sacrificing since the start, and cap somehow some way getting to have an actual life outside being a soldier.