• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Not Ghost Trick or anything by Cing; really, really obscure stuff. This system has a vast library and I'm convinced there's more gold to be wrung out of it. I'd love to know the game you liked that you've never seen anyone else praise.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Knights in the Nightmare and The Dark Spire are both excellent. If those are too mainstream still, I loved Ketsui Death Label.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Time Hollow. Cool time travel adventure game published by Konami. Not a gem, but still fairly enjoyable.

Oh, and I know it's a Cing game, but Again: Eye of Providence is pretty cool too, but I bet even some CiNG fans never heard about this one. Definitely not on par with their other games, but still had a blast with it.

Granted, those two games aren't the most obscure...

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
ed367d163b587e92379aad8525f15593.jpg
a2c6d4b3237f652f876360c3c621eb6c.jpg
c1daaeb92fc62c0543dbfebf568d3ae6.jpg

Lost Magic is a Pokémon/RTS hybrid with a weird-ass magic system that has you combine magic glyphs to create new spells and use them with your hero unit.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Can it be a Japanese only game?

Like do you totally want to fight Kaiju in a namco scaled back take on monster hunter?

Kaiju Busters
300x.jpg

(Not an amazing game but I still enjoyed their take on it).

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Time Hollow. Cool time travel adventure game published by Konami. Not a gem, but still fairly enjoyable.

Oh, and I know it's a Cing game, but Again: Eye of Providence is pretty cool too, but I bet even some CiNG fans never heard about this one. Definitely not on par with their other games, but still had a blast with it.

Granted, those two games aren't the most obscure...
Good choices! Again is surprisingly good. I'd also add 7th Dragon, Avalon Code, Nostalgia, Bangai-O Spirits, Big Bang Mini... and many others. Amazing system that DS!

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Is Soul Bubbles obscure enough for you?

It's a game where you play as a spirit carrying tiny souls toward the goal via a bubble you draw and control while avoiding traps. It was a Toys R Us exclusive in the US for some reason so I'm not sure how expensive it is to get today.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
51ra7xsz6xl._sx342_xsjsu.jpg

Deep Labyrinth
is a neat dungeon crawler with some really intricate levels, tons of secrets to uncover and what is possibly the last great Yasunori Mitsuda OST (though Mitsuda did some amazing work in collaboration with other composers on subsequent OSTs he was involved with). The Mitsuda OST elevates the game's atmosphere immensely and underlines its otherworldly, dreamlike feel. The battle mechanics are a bit basic but it's enough to hold the game together. It does have some interesting stylus controls where you have to 'draw' magic runes and sword slashes on the bottom screen. I had a blast playing through this around release back in 2006 and never really understood why it wasn't more popular. Dungeon crawlers with real time battle mechanics just aren't very popular I guess.

Bonus tracks from the OST:

Last edited:

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Miami_Nights_-_Singles_in_the_City_Coverart.png

Miami Nights: Singles In The City does not get much praise and possibly not known much by everyone, so I say it must be way too obscure, despite it 's published by Ubisoft.

I like this game when it was on Mobile Java and when I knew it would be on NDS with full 3D visuals, I was excited to play and it was okay; not great but okay, like playing a rip off version of The Sims.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road (titled RIZ-ZOAWD in Japan). Super fun RPG.

Mark Dagician

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Lord of the rings : Conquest. It's fucking Battlefront on your DS. You have no idea how many hours I spent in that game.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
-Blood of Bahamut is neat, basically Shadow of the Colossus if it was a Square Enix ARPG.
-Try to track down the Dementium games, proper old school horror games.
-Also moon, made in the same style as Dementium. All three games are made by fan favorite Renegade Kid.
-Honeycomb Beat remains the most unique puzzle game on the system, but largely ignored.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I had a friend recommend me "Glory Days 2" and I've never heard of it otherwise. Apparently it's a sequel to an even more obscure GBA game with a different name. It's a pretty unique game, a 2D sidescrolling perspective of a war battle where you control a helicopter or jet and have to bomb structures, infantry, tanks to do a kind of tug of war so your own automatically controlled troops can advance. It's pretty bizarre to play. And I'm into multiplayer DS games, and it has 8-player local multiplayer for some reason - somehow 8 aircraft fly around, 4v4? I can't imagine how it works, it's so weird.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
51ra7xsz6xl._sx342_xsjsu.jpg

Deep Labyrinth
is a neat dungeon crawler with some really intricate levels, tons of secrets to uncover and what is possibly the last great Yasunori Mitsuda OST (though Mitsuda did some amazing work in collaboration with other composers on subsequent OSTs he was involved with). The Mitsuda OST elevates the atmosphere of game immensely and underlines the otherworldly, dreamlike feel of the game. The battle mechanics are a bit basic but it's enough to hold the game together. It does have some interesting stylus controls where you have to 'draw' magic runes and sword slashes on the bottom screen. I had a blast playing through this around release back in 2006 and never really understood why it wasn't more popular. Dungeon crawlers with real time battle mechanics just aren't very popular I guess.

Bonus tracks from the OST:

Came to say Deep Labyrinth too. Love Era 😃

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I second Soul Bubbles.

Also, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. Not really obscure cause it's a Spider-Man game but the DS version was not that well known and it's the best one. It's a metroidvania with some excellent combat mechanics that feel like a fighting game (it has air combos!).

Last edited:

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Hands-down the best DS game I ever played was Loopop Cube: Lup * Salad DS, or something to that effect. It's a 2D puzzle game where you simply have to push blocks around to match three together, then they pop. When you clear all the blocks, the level is done! Sounds simple, especially when the entirety of your moveset is essentially left, right, and a little hop.

It gets savage though. You'll have to match four sometimes, or be careful not to match four. Sometimes five. You'll have to work out how to do things in order so you don't get blocked in somewhere you can't get out of. You'll have to use blocks to reach other blocks while remembering you have to match them later. You can push multiple blocks, but again be careful - you don't want to get squashed.

There's a PSP version, and a PSone version (which was released in the US on PSN) if people want to try, but it was the DS one that introduced me to the game, and yeah, it's brilliant.

Here's one single screenshot, which is probably enough to give some colour to everything that I've just said.

00002.png

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ouendan 1 & 2 are essential imports, especially if you've played Elite Beat Agents (aka the best DS game)

Also Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times is a super cute Animal Crossing-like where you attend magic school and can befriend a cell-phone man

16f6eb27f56312fd90225583bff98310.gif

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017

Coropata is an absolutely wonderful spiritual sequel to The Incredible Machine franchise but with a japanese touch. With beautiful 2D animation made by a Vanillaware staff. Super fun yet very frustrating too, as The Incredible Machine was.

...also very expensive for Nintendo DS standards. Prepare to pay around 150+ bucks for it. The japanese in the game is super easy too, if you are learning it.

EDIT: Hah, this game is 10 years old today!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Try Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors 2

CalmYearlyJabiru-size_restricted.gif

Jump Ultimate Stars

0835835_375b4269d9fb4f0179485b6c11480288.jpg

Rocket Slime

250px-DragonQuestHeroesRocketSlimeBox.jpg

The collector's market is making these games slowly climb in value but they're still at an accessible price. I highly recommend them for an afternoon play session.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
NTRYAWJshots.jpg

Away - Shuffle Dungeon. Dungeons keep getting shuffled in real time as you play across both screens.

Incredible mechanic.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Coropata is an absolutely wonderful spiritual sequel to The Incredible Machine franchise but with a japanese touch. With beautiful 2D animation made by a Vanillaware staff. Super fun yet very frustrating too, as The Incredible Machine was.
Yeah, frustrating is right! It starts off so fun but when the requirements start needing to be pixel-perfect and the solutions are way more convoluted, oh boy. The style was great though, she was my avatar on the old place for a really long time because her walk animation was just adorable!

Am I right to assume that DSiWare is dead? I just remembered about Snapdots which wasn't amazing but was the closest thing the DS got to Guru Logic Champ (aside from putting a GBA cart into one) - it replicated the gameplay wholesale and that is some awesome gameplay. Just a shame there wasn't more of it.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Steal Princess

It's made by some of the people behind Land Stalker/Dark Savior I believe, it's a more bite-sized version of those types of isometric puzzle platformer games with some combat elements. I like the artist they got for the designs/portraits and having a good time with it. Starts out super simple and doesn't pick up for a while but the later levels look crazy.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
OL26uA4.png

The Dark Spire is a classic dungeon crawler, inspired by Wizardry and Ultima. Features fantastic music and incredible artwork, and the ability to play the game with stripped down graphics like the original PC games that inspired it.

fmD1CyT.png
NbWieXe.png

vj0nh59.png
Bbqp2f2.png

Last edited:

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Solato Robo Red the Hunter

Cool RPG adventure. Very fun to play.

Aliens Infestation

Isolation is the best Alien game. Infestation the second best. Cool Metroidvania/contra hybrid

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
The Wizard of Oz JRPG on DS (emulated here in HD)

j1eq66C.gif

As a warning: I was waiting for this game so fucking much at the time, the Trailer is still fucking awesome, like it was by far the most well crafted polygon based DS game ever made at the time, and the final result was... err... well... I personally think the trackball gameplay was too tedious and repetitive for my taste, and as a RPG is overall really easy, so I was heavily disappointed. The music is still awesome though.

Came to post this, did not disappoint.
Seriously think about this game way to often and I think more then EA has done although its life time.

Fun fact: Henry Hatsworth was made by the Madden team... I've always had a hunch that this game was a revenge from years of internal pain. Absolutely essential game, especially for me that I love 2D, platform gaming and Tetris Attack.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno how obscure it is now but Soma Bringer is pretty cool. Made by Monolith Soft. There's a decent fan translation too.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Not Ghost Trick or anything by Cing; really, really obscure stuff. This system has a vast library and I'm convinced there's more gold to be wrung out of it. I'd love to know the game you liked that you've never seen anyone else praise.

Have you played the touch detective/mystery detective games? They're super charming though simple point & click games.

IWy5CQg.jpg

Rondo of Swords is a very cool srpg which is worth playing too. It has a really cool battle system where you have to run through enemies to hurt them, so you can hit multiple enemies with one character in one turn. It's fairly unique as far as I know.

XBW9UOW.jpg

Space Invaders Extreme 2 is very cool. I guess a lot of people may have just ignored it thinking "it's just space invaders". Give it a look on youtube.

bLsd8oV.png

I'll just mention trauma centre, infinite space and radiant historia in passing as I'm pretty sure they're not that obscure. play them if you haven't though

Last edited:

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Dementium and Moon, both FPSes by the same developer

Dementium is like a first person Resident Evil, the game is heavily based around horror and there are puzzles and navigational challenges. It's very atmospheric, with an interesting story and a superb soundtrack

Moon is more sci-fi, and based on, well, the Moon. It's more action/shooting oriented, with a smaller emphasis on puzzles and story.

They're really good games, both got good reviews from IGN back in the day, but because they are indie shooters on the ads they were completely overlooked. It's a great time.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LifeSigns, the second one is localized, but you get the gist of the story so far in the first minutes.
It's more drama than Trauma Center.
514xyM2TtkL.jpeg

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Izuna 1 & 2, japanese roguelike dungeon crawlers published by Atlus
Theresia, a really interesting horror game
the Alice In Wonderland game produced to tie in with the Tim Burton film, wait come back it's really good!

The Alice in Wonderland game was so good. It's the only game I ever made a thread about at the old place because I was so surprised it was so good. Very Lost Vikings.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
There's a game called Orcs and Elves that I liked quite a bit. It's a first person, turn based, dungeon/maze RPG. Not sure if it's obscure or not but I never see anyone mention it.