• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here are some of the best Ken quotes from the period up till the PS3 launch..

"We want for consumers to think to themselves, 'I will work more hours to buy one."

"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

"With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment."

"[PS3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine. I'm not going to reveal [the PS3's] price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive. I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households."

"It's probably too cheap."

"Cell will make possible a transformation in entertainment like that from novels to movies."

Hiroshi Yamauchi had some "hardcore quotes".

"Customers do not want online games."

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games,"

Sony also had some stupid quotes in regards to the DS and the PSP..

Phil Harrison said:
"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

And good old Peter Dille said this..
"You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we're doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead."
and soon after Sony sold a Purple Hannah Montana PSP. lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't in the spirit of the thread, but I'm posting it anyway.

d0c9nokm_2a29xebawlwufeksx.jpg

dpukc62wkaaahwg7ejef.jpg

itagakitekkenv3jka.png

I don't think the interview where he pulled out his katana became a meme, unfortunately.

Nov 8, 2017
"2 jobs" will always take the cake, the epitome of corporate hubris
This one is a myth. No-one at Sony ever said anything about having two jobs. The actual quote was this:
Crazy Ken when he said PS3 is "for consumers who think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
Still not a good look to imply that people should work overtime to buy your console, but there's no mention of two jobs in that quote at all.

"Give me 60fps or give me death"
I'm going to need some context for this one; Google isn't really helping me here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This one is a myth. No-one at Sony ever said anything about having two jobs. The actual quote was this:

Still not a good look to imply that people should work overtime to buy your console, but there's no mention of two jobs in that quote at all.

I didn't know that, I guess that just speaks to how negatively people reacted lol

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Shinji Mikami saying he'd commit harakiri if RE4 came out on another platform, and then apologizing for it going multiplatform.

He even said that Sony makes their consoles easy to break to increase their install base, and that PS2 is selling well because many people are buying replacements.

He was also bitter about Kingdom Hearts selling more than REmake, and claimed it's due to "aura purchase"; people buying the game just because of their friends were playing it, not because they'd like it. He said KH doesn't deserve its sales, and isn't worth the price tag. He made an apology to Square for it later on, but said REmake is still a much better game.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
8adc6dK.jpg

EDIT: Found a larger version of the capture.
I mean...he's not wrong!? (about the internet I don't know anything about specific places in the US though).

I can't imagine trying to use any modern console without a half decent internet connection. Games get "Day 1" patches and updates all the time, I'm not convinced the disc versions of games actually work in any meaningful way.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
I mean...he's not wrong!? (about the internet I don't know anything about specific places in the US though).

I can't imagine trying to use any modern console without a half decent internet connection. Games get "Day 1" patches and updates all the time, I'm not convinced the disc versions of games actually work in any meaningful way.
This happened early enough in the generation that the mere words "always online" immediately led to foaming at the mouth and gnashing of teeth, even though it was already a reality.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

You can still play non-patched games, and single player games don't require online connection. The point wasn't obviously about patching, but required 24-hour online checks for ALL games. I remember military personnel being pissed about it, for example.

Retail games not working at all without a patch is far from the truth. Sure, patches improve the experience, like shortened loading times in Bloodborne, but the game was perfectly playable in its initial state.

EDIT:
This happened early enough in the generation that the mere words "always online" immediately led to foaming at the mouth and gnashing of teeth, even though it was already a reality.

24-hour online checks still aren't reality, because people pushed back against a strategy that wouldn't benefit consumers.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I would imagine something like this happens whenever lootboxes are discussed within the ESRB.
dd53a8716402aac90078e03db8c3543a.jpg

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint," John Koller, the director of hardware marketing at Sony, told the gaming website IGN. Koller added that "8- and 9-year-olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In response to a question about Playstations E3 conference

"Have you seen Titanfall? OK. Enough said! Conversation over!" - Major Nelson

Last edited:

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bit controversial but "The game is fun. If it's not fun, why bother?" -Reggie
Imo pushes the medium down. It's a toxic mentality that practically makes people narrow down their views on games and ignore a lot of games that try to do different stuff and provide different experiences, and are not necessarily fun.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things," said Peter Rosas.

"Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing."

"It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper playstyles can be represented with our current roster."

People dunk the first sentence but once you read the full statement I can almost understand the point he was trying to make.

For example, NetherRealm is now consistently transplanting Mortal Kombat's "functions and playstyles" into the cast of Injustice and then does the reverse once the latest MK game is released afterwards. Probably not out of laziness but because people would get disappointed if they couldn't play a character with Scorpion's teleport attack or Sub Zero's freezing ice balls.

He just said it in such a crass and insensitive way. Everyone knows why X-Men characters can't be in MvC anyone you don't need to handwave people's disappointment like this.

May 13, 2019
Shinji Mikami saying he'd commit harakiri if RE4 came out on another platform, and then apologizing for it going multiplatform.
I read he said that he'd cut his own head i.e fired himself if any of the original GameCube exclusive Capcom 5 came out in other consoles.

Hence one of the chihuahuas in God Hand's dog race minigame is called "Mikami's head."

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Yes we did, but as time showed us one good game is not enough to save one of the most self harming strategies ever seen in this industry. "

Self harming? Can someone elaborate what this is referring to?

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I don't understand what's supposed to be so terrible about this quote, or that gif of the dude spinning around with his copy of Skyrim. It's just people enthusiastic about videogames. Do people object because they're the wrong videogames?

Why are they contemptible, but the Easy Allies dudes crying and hugging over the announcement of Shenmue 3 is wonderful and inspiring?