• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Let's do this. Quotes said by people in the industry that were so out of place to become memes.

"We want the Skyrim audience" EDGE interview to one of the directors of Dark Souls 2. After all the discussion of Dark Souls vs Skyrim that happened in 2011 and after this was laughable. Two very different games, but seeing how Elden Ring supposedly is going OW his words might have been misunderstood. Just crazy or visionary?

"Have you seen Titanfall" Major Nelson. Yes we did, but as time showed us one good game is not enough to save one of the most self harming strategies ever seen in this industry.

Now, what did strike you as a bad quote?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
"If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things," said Peter Rosas.

"Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing."

"It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper playstyles can be represented with our current roster."

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
x8nfgsB.jpg

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Genji 2 is an action game, which is based on ancient Japanese history.
Being based on history, the, um, stages of the game, will also be based on battles which took--actually took place in ancient Japan.

So here's this giant enemy crab.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games," Hiroshi Yamauchi .

Oct 27, 2017
"No internet for Xbox One, get a 360" Don Mattrick on Xbox one launch.

Edit: Full quote:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360," says Mattrick. "If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device."

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Genji 2 is an action game, which is based on ancient Japanese history.
Being based on history, the, um, stages of the game, will also be based on battles which took--actually took place in ancient Japan.

So here's this giant enemy crab.

I rewatched this a few days ago and it still makes me tear up from laughter.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
An old classic (though a marketing move rather than said in casual dialect) would be, "John Romero's About To Make You His Bitch".

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy Ken when he said PS3 is "for consumers who think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
$599 US Dollars.

"You think you want it, but you don't" - J Allen Brack on Classic WoW servers

DoublePayje

Oct 29, 2017
"No. And, by the way, you don't want to. You think you do, but you don't. " - Allan Brack when asked if Blizzard had any plans for WoW Vanilla. Current president of Blizzard by the way!

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
"If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things," said Peter Rosas.

"Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing."

"It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper playstyles can be represented with our current roster."
this one was really bad

like, in that case why have a marvel vs capcom in the first place? the characters are the whole point

all you had to say was "we wanted to focus on other characters that haven't gotten a shot in marvel before, and maybe the other characters could show up later, who knows"

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I wonder who's going to drop some good quotes this console launch cycle. I get the feeling it'll be Jim Ryan.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
"People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious. "

- Albert Penello during XBox One launch

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
"Consider that any hour your don't spend a dime somebody somewhere dies. Either you play, or you die."

- Producer, Robert LaMarr

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
"Consoles have long been TV parasites" - Iwata

We all know that Nintendo had no idea how to market or make the Wii U sound appealing, but this was just terrible.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
"Where we've drawn the line is we are not looking to do business today with the garage developer. In our view, that's not a business we want to pursue."

- Reggie Fils-Aime

"At Kaos studios in NY sitting with a team that's finaling on 7 day weeks for a couple of months. Talk about that thousand yard stare."

- THQ exec Danny Bilson via twitter (re: Homefront studio) for some reason

EDIT: He never even deleted that lol

May 18, 2018
"It's really depressing because we almost... we were inches away from having you be able to select a girl or a guy as your co-op buddy when you invite someone in.

"And it was purely a workload issue because we don't have a female reading for the character, we don't have all the animations," he explained. "And so it was this weird issue where you could have a female model that walked and talked and jumped like a dude."

Ubisoft Montreal

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
"...like an anime fan on prom night."

Way to piss one the one single group that may have given a damn about your shitty game.

Also Sony's boldface "think of the children" lie when asked about crossplay.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's quite an unfair thought that Microsoft are trying to control our gaming, they're trying to force us to be online all the time. [People] didn't really think that through.

The trouble is, I'm a terrible PR person.

I still have nightmares about holding German sausages over my head.

Freedom is... freedom can actually be boring, you've got to realize that.

they are all quotes from the same person...

"Peter Molyneux"

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how well thought out PS5 and the launch is I'm counting on Jimbo to deliver some silly quotes.
Ok I'll bite

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Harrison in 2013:
Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Hermen is a European who will be taking one of the major offices at PlayStation. I think everybody in Europe should be thrilled and happy and proud that that is happening." - Jim Ryan

"I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?" - Jim Ryan

"We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft – the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully." - Jim Ryan

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
"People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious. "

- Albert Penello during XBox One launch

That's a good one.

Here's few regarding the infamous parity clause.

Chris Lewis said:
"But, honestly, and this is going to sound a bit contrived, we just want what our consumers want from us. We want to be where they want us to be. We want the quality bar of what they experience from us to continue to go up. I think it has to happen. Everybody's got to do that. If we want to continue to command healthy average selling prices, which we all do, that which we offer our consumers has got to keep getting better.

"Despite the fact it can be irksome to have such strong competition all the time, it actually does keep us on our toes. It's great for everyone, and it makes for a very healthy race to higher and higher levels of quality of game experiences."

Good guy Phil said:
"I'll be honest, the thing I worry about is I look at all the people who buy an Xbox and invest their time and money in Xbox One," Spencer said. "Millions of people own Xbox One and I want those people to feel like they're first class, because they are.

"When a third party game comes out it comes out on all platforms at the same time. When indie games come out, I want them to come out and I want Xbox to to feel like it is a first class citizen when an indie game launches."

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"Things break"

Peter Moore, in regards to Xbox 360 failure rates

I think the complete quote was

"I can't comment on failure rates, because it's just not something - it's a moving target. What this consumer should worry about is the way that we've treated him.Y'know, things break, and if we've treated him well and fixed his problem, that's something that we're focused on right now. I'm not going to comment on individual failure rates because I'm shipping in 36 countries and it's a complex business.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate Dragon Age 2, but wow did Bioware have some stupid quotes around the game's launch.

There was the whole thing about how much of an RPG Call of Duty actually is and how they were certain there was this big untapped market of potential DA fans playing Modern Warfare.

One particular quote I remember is how they kept repeating that DA2's combat would have you "think like a general and fight like a spartan".

Absolutely hilarious after killing wave after wave of bandits dropping out of the skies of Kirkwall.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Can't remember important shit, but know these gems by heart:

"I have something to admit, I'm not much of a gamer. But this man, he is. He's definutely someone who knows the difference between RPGs and NPCs. Please welcome Phil Harrison" - Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google

"Fist Bump!" Kinect Disneyland Kids

"It's Ridge Racer." Kaz Hirai

"Woo!" Lone guy in audience sympathetic to Kaz

"RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!! Remember that one?" Kaz Hirai

"Fallout 76 will have 16x the detail" Todd Howard

"You plant this acorn and it will eventually grow into a tree" Peter Molyneux

"Xbox watch TV! Watch TV!" Everyone not named Phil Spencee at the Xbox One reveal.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler" Can't remember her name but I know the quote.

"Since we have everyone here this morning, I thought it'd be nice to play a song for you." - Shigeru Miyamoto moments before the Wii Music demonstration.

"I think Hip Hop is cool now because of President Obama." Guy at Konami 2010 conference

"Doodly doodly doodly doodly doo." Mr Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"Hey, you wanna come over and play my Wii?" Mr. Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"Tom Culancy" Mr. Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"Here, hold my joywand!" Mr. Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"I'm talking about that loud, obnoxious, slightly deranged poop on your toothpaste" Just guess (it's fucking Mr. Caffeine)

"See this Mountain over here, you can climb it!" Todd Howard

"Fallout 76 will have no pay to win mtxs. Just cosmetics." Pete Hines

"You buy mtn dew or you buy doritos, you actually get a code, you go online to dewxp.com or doritosxp.com and yout actually get something in the game." Geoff Keighley

And, of course:

"John Romero is about to make you his bitch!" Daikatana ad, circa 2000.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I don't hate Dragon Age 2, but wow did Bioware have some stupid quotes around the game's launch.

There was the whole thing about how much of an RPG Call of Duty actually is and how they were certain there was this big untapped market of potential DA fans playing Modern Warfare.

One particular quote I remember is how they kept repeating that DA2's combat would have you "think like a general and fight like a spartan".

Absolutely hilarious after killing wave after wave of bandits dropping out of the skies of Kirkwall.

Speaking of Bioware...

915iDfs.jpg

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't remember important shit, but know these gems by heart:

"I have something to admit, I'm not much of a gamer. But this man, he is. He's definutely someone who knows the difference between RPGs and NPCs. Please welcome Phil Harrison" - Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google

"Fist Bump!" Kinect Disneyland Kids

"It's Ridge Racer." Ken Kuteragi

"Woo!" Lone guy in audience sympathetic to Ken.

"RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!! Remember that one!" Ken

"Fallout 76 will have 16x the detail" Todd Howard

"You plant this acorn and it will eventually grow into a tree" Peter Molyneux

"Xbox watch TV! Watch TV!" Everyone not named Phil Spencee at the Xbox One reveal.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler" Can't remember her name but I know the quote.

"Since we have everyone here this morning, I thought it'd be nice to play a song for you." - Shigeru Miyamoto moments before the Wii Music demonstration.

"I think Hip Hop is cool now because of President Obama." Guy at Konami 2010 conference

"Doodly doodly doodly doodly doo." Mr Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"Hey, you wanna come over and play my Wii?" Mr. Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"Tom Culancy" Mr. Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"Here, hold my joywand!" Mr. Caffeine Ubisoft 2011

"I'm talking about that loud, obnoxious, slightly deranged poop on your toothpaste" Just guess (it's fucking Mr. Caffeine)

"See this Mountain over here, you can climb it!" Todd Howard

"Fallout 76 will have no pay to win mtxs. Just cosmetics." Pete Hines

"You buy mtn dew or you buy doritos, you actually get a code, you go online to dewxp.com or doritosxp.com and yout actually get something in the game." Geoff Keighley

And, of course:

"John Romero is about to make you his bitch!" Daikatana ad, circa 2000.

All your Ken Kutaragi's should be Kaz Hirai i think.