• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
We had a few of the maxed out older trashcan models at the last motion studio I worked for rendering.

These things really do pay for themselves after a year or so if you are saving 2 - 4 billable hours per day per employee or, more importantly, freelancers who need to have their worked checked out every night or morning. I was actually kind of peeved when they got them since my downtime for goofing around was cut in half.

These aren't for consumers or prosumers. The alternative is using render farms which aren't as effective or cheap unless your work focuses on longer run videos.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
All seems to point out that this is not for 3D artist but for video editors, plus color grading, After effects, etc. In a "buy 12 get a discount" scenario. Just the lack of CUDA support alone points that way, but even the 4 Radeon chips you can put in it are optimized for video.
Sure, one can still rely mostly on the CPU rendering like 5 years ago, but now that every big software is implementing GPU accelerated renderers there simply is a hole that this machine cannot cover.

I'm also a freelancer 3D artist. One thing that gets annoying in these threads is the notion that freelancers only do videography.
As someone who lives in AE every day...I can say this thing is almost exclusively for Video Editors in Final Cut or people doing some crazy stuff in Logic maybe. After Effects is garbage at utilizing cores unfortunately : /
Maybe compositing apps like Nuke and whatnot would run great on here though too! Definitely not affordable, I wish they would make a Prosumer tower that was modular like this...

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017

Didn't look like anyone really answered you.
ECC RAM is typically used in servers. It has error correction for bit-swapping built into the stick itself. It's for protection against something like a solar flare. It's expensive due to the extra components, and that it's for enterprises that will pay for it.

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who lives in AE every day...I can say this thing is almost exclusively for Video Editors in Final Cut or people doing some crazy stuff in Logic maybe. After Effects is garbage at utilizing cores unfortunately : /
Maybe compositing apps like Nuke and whatnot would run great on here though too! Definitely not affordable, I wish they would make a Prosumer tower that was modular like this...
Well this is also true, someone who knows their software can get a machine that will simply perform better than the Mac Pro. After Effects likes faster CPUs, and as you said it, not great at utilizing many cores.

At the end of the day I have to agree with the argument that it is not for individuals, but for a company that just tries to covers all the bases for potential employees even thought the machine is not the best at any particular thing.

Last edited:

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Well this is also true, someone who knows their software can get a machine that will simply perform better than the Mac Pro. After Effects likes faster CPUs, and as you said it, not great at utilizing many cores.

At the end of the day I have to agree with the argument that it is not for individuals, but for a company that just tries to covers all the bases for potential employees even thought the machine is not the best at any particular thing.
Yeah, and the argument pretty much holds up! I remember using the old cheese grater at previous jobs that were pretty obscenely loaded, at least it came in handy for me sometimes doing simulation stuff too! I just miss being able to use OSX for work stuff though ;(

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
What is the problem here? Let's make a thread about similarly specced Windows setups that cost more or the same?
Also, this will probably be bought by a lot of freelancers as well, not just evil mega corps.

What's with the Crysis joke? Weird troll thread from a moderator.

Why do you think the thread was created because of a problem lol

Weird take

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I was just building one of these today but then I found out Steam is still not supported which seems crazy so I would have no way to play Half Life Alyx and now I'm so torn

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a member of the apple computer universe can i make a shitpost thread about how black panther 2 is only going to have a cgi budget of 12 dollars, when that movie comes out?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It does!? Oh man I thought Half Life Alyx wasn't listed as compatible. This changes everything
Steam is a separate thing as HL:A. Steam as the application itself works in Catalina. HL:A is not confirmed to anything but Windows (as it uses SteamVR), but it might be compatible later on as Linux should get SteamVR support soon(tm), which should also help for MacOS.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I think many Producers will buy the base model as their digital audio workstation, even though the MacBook Pro is specifically advertised for them.

The Big Short

Oct 29, 2017
Shrug. I work with 3D. The computer I am on at work (in other words right now) is a bit above half that, and I don't work for an internationally known animation studio.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
KLZVtab.png

jxbZ2d3.png

Already beaten by TR3, and not even by a chip that's in the same price segment lol.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Why do people keep posting the most expensive Config and complain who this is for, as if there no other "cheaper" configs for the Mac Pro??

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am curious to see what comes of the afterburner card in terms of if someone will offer other configurations for the FGPA, but at $2000 a pop, that's quite a bit just to tinker.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Meh, I'm sure the light VFX/video editing crowd will appreciate it

Not powerful enough for my purposes

Feb 1, 2018
KLZVtab.png

jxbZ2d3.png

Already beaten by TR3, and not even by a chip that's in the same price segment lol.

Cool synthetic benchmarks of individual CPUs from a tech blog. Export a 90 minute feature film timeline to prores or DCP (Resolve Windows can't even do this), or render 5-6 VFX comps in a cramped, stuffy studio during an LA summer and get back to me. That's what this type of computer was made for

I am curious to see what comes of the afterburner card in terms of if someone will offer other configurations for the FGPA, but at $2000 a pop, that's quite a bit just to tinker.

I'm really disappointed the Afterburner is only compatible with the mac pro. It would be such a valuable tool out in the field with laptops, inside a thunderbolt 3 chassis, to provide real time rendering/playback of prores footage and take a load off the CPU/GPU that's already throttled somewhat in macbooks

Absolute lunacy. The hold Apple have on their customers is both cynical and insidious.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about

Last edited:

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
RAM is a traded commodity, heavily protected by various national interests and the market has damn near open price fixing, along with small profit margins. Most of your high capacity ECC chips will just get thrown out/recycled into the new batch because the lithography didn't hold up, which is unavoidable. The logic of how RAM works in the market is basically different from all other computer hardware.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait until people find out how expensive high end server hardware is, which is basically what the Mac Pro is. As someone who works in IT and handles the configuration and purchasing of computer hardware, nothing about the Mac Pro pricing is ridiculous aside from maybe the monitor stand. This computer is a tool to assist with very specific tasks, not a computer that's being sold to everyone for email and light photo editing.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Can you even play crysis on a mac?

If I open Steam I think the newest game is like Team Fortress 2 and Borderlands 1

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Cool synthetic benchmarks of individual CPUs from a tech blog. Export a 90 minute feature film timeline to prores or DCP (Resolve Windows can't even do this), or render 5-6 VFX comps in a cramped, stuffy studio during an LA summer and get back to me. That's what this type of computer was made for
It's faster than the xeon chip in every way, please show me any kind of load that the xeon succeeds in because I'd love to hear about it. Even considering the tests these are very real programs

And considering that it's able reach that kind of performance while outputing 100W less than the intel chip, it would do just fine in your "stuffy studio during an LA summer"

dfces7L.png

I have no idea why you'd get so upset, it's merely an observation of how Apple stumbled into bad luck with CPU releases, although they probably would have stuck intel regardless, considering they have better ties in the workstation space. Is this an apple fan thing?

Feb 1, 2018
I have no idea why you'd get so upset, it's merely an observation of how Apple stumbled into bad luck with CPU releases, although they probably would have stuck intel regardless, considering they have better ties in the workstation space. Is this an apple fan thing?

I'm not upset, just don't really understand why synthetic benchmarks would be indicative of real world performance. Do you? We're not even considering the fact that they might prefer Intel for business reasons or for Thunderbolt compatibility. Or AVX 512 which I don't really think is a big deal for most users but still.

PS- reported for the "apple fan" thing. I'm tired of platform warring going largely unchecked in tech topics.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
I'm not upset, just don't really understand why synthetic benchmarks would be indicative of real world performance. Do you? We're not even considering the fact that they might prefer Intel for business reasons or for Thunderbolt compatibility. Or AVX 512 which I don't really think is a big deal for most users but still.

PS- reported for the "apple fan" thing. I'm tired of platform warring going largely unchecked in tech topics.
I could report you for being weirdly aggressive for no reason, but that seems awfully unncessary. I don't really care who the puts out the hardware, and I'm not saying Apple is an awful company in any way.

Anyway, there are other benches with the 3970X succeeding in both handbrake and premiere.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
"runs crysis at 1080i" just makes this thread a dumb troll to begin with. if people wanna waste their money, let them. i'd buy this if i was filthy rich because i love me some mac OS. for now i'll just settle with my MBP.