• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Did the Sanctified Mind for the first time last night - listening to the Sherpa explains the fight was like...

dc3Seiv.gif

And remembered why I am not keen on Raids.

Sanctified mind gives you a lot more room for error, so I like it okay. I just wish the damage phase was longer. I feel like they do that to try to prevent one phases, but it's not very satisfying. With a group who knows what they are doing, it's really good.

Also because it's not immediately strict, you have room to grow ya know? So you start like really struggling with the platforms disappearing. And it's all super overwhelming. But then as you get better your group is super on top of it and you get the plates back like immediately every time, and you combine your buffs and mods and get him down easy.

That's the whole reason I dislike super strict encounters like Riven or Val Ca'uor. There's no room for pulling the encounter back from the brink. There's no drama. It's just either you do it exactly right or you fail. By the time you finish you just feel like you've gone through the motions so many times it isn't fun.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
DID NO ONE BUT ME HAVE TROUBLE WITH LAWRENCE??

Lmao I feel like I'm going insane. Every DLC boss was tough except Me IRL (living failures). But everyone always talks the most about Ludwig and Orphan and I'm just sitting here like...well I beat ludwig solo. Tough but I got him. I struggled with Orphan but I know if I'd kept practicing I could have got him too. But Lawrence just...I couldn't. But no one talks about how hard he is so am I just missing something super duper obvious and he's actually easy??

You're not alone, I had exactly the same experience. Laurence is the only boss in Bloodborne that legitimately made me angry at the game. I'd get angry at myself for making mistakes against other bosses, but this guy? He ain't fucking fair.

No I agree, fuck Laurence. He was the hardest boss of the DLC, not Ludwig and not Orphan of Kos. I think this boss may be very YMMV, though I don't know why because my brother beat Laurence without much trouble but he struggled on Ludwig.

Shout out to Watchdog in BB, Isshin and Demon of Hatred in Sekiro (speaking of Isshin I think his bad ending version may be worse for me), then the Limit Cut bosses in KH3 as well as Yozora, and finally Hollow Knight endgame (I gave up not long after beating the last boss). There is also a bullshit platforming endgame section in that game.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Having platinumed Bloodborne, I went into the DLC with my NG++ character. I never got passed Ludwig and still haven't seen anything passed him despite Bloodborne being one of my games of this gen.

Sekiro felt like a walk in the park compared to this encounter for me. Well over 100+ deaths and no victory. No boss or encounter in any game or Soulsborne has ever made me just say Nope no more.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
DMC5
Geryon Knight on DMD difficulty because V is a terrible character on anything higher than normal mode.
Nero v Virgil on DMD. Unlike Dante, you can't use Dr. Faust to cheese this.

Sekiro
Owl. This took me like 2 hours to beat.
Guardian Ape. In Hindsight, no idea why this took me so long.
Isshin the sword saint, not as hard as the other two but the only other one that gave me trouble

Bloodborne
The boss at the end of the DLC, that crawls around on the floor on fire.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I died to Ludwig more times than any boss in any games. It was embarrassing for sure. I started the DLC on NG+ which made it worse. I put the game down for months because of it. But when I finally beat him after farming, grinding and actually going through chalice dungeons for the best gems I finally managed to beat him. I felt like leveled up my gaming skills for real. I beat Orphan in 3 or 4 tries and Lawrence on my first go.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Though I guess posting mmo raid bosses is kinda cheating :P

WoW has some crazy fights like Kil'jaeden and Jaina as well.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

And not in a good way. Here's the issues with the fight's attacks (I suspect that not many people here have even got to Absolute Radiance, much less beat her):
Spikes: A layer of spikes that covers half the arena and restricts your ability to dodge attacks. Causes massive issues in conjunction with the other attacks. In addition, if Absolute Radiance hangs over the side of the arena where the spikes are, she is effectively unhittable with the nail.
Triple laser: Either has the aim of an autoaim bot or a Stormtrooper. If she uses it in Phase 2 when the spikes transition from one end of the arena to the other, then the lasers restrict your movement and you are unable to move to the safe end of the arena in time.
Double sword wheel: The swords are a hazard as soon as they spawn. If on Phase 4 Absolute Radiance spawns on the platform you're standing on and uses this attack, you will get hit without the use of Descending Dark.
Horizontal swords: Not difficult to dodge, but prolongs the fight as it makes attacking her incredibly dangerous.
Vertical swords: Combines the two problems of the horizontal swords (attacking her is incredibly dangerous) and the triple laser (restricts your movement, which can lead to an undodgeable situation if the spikes spawn below you).
4 orbs of light (phases 1, 2 and 4): The orbs can clip through the ground if they spawn right underneath it, which is an issue when you're supposed to cause said orbs to hit the ground to dodge them. In addition, the orbs of light can be obscured by the Radiance's halo, as shown here: https://imgur.com/hYYncae
Pillar of light: The cooldown for this attack is far shorter than that of Absolute Radiance's other attacks. If you're standing on the wrong platform in Phase 4, or if the spikes in Phase 2 are on the side that the pillar of light is coming from, then Absolute Radiance will use an entirely new attack while you're busy dodging the lasers.
Stairway to Hell (phase 5): The lasers on Phase 5 come out so fast that it's near-impossible to react to it properly. This is an issue as they do not target you specifically - they instead target a random location close to you, so you can very well use your shadowdash in anticipation of it, only for you to get hit as the laser targeted a different location. In addition, you cannot heal in this phase, so you die in six hits at most. If you don't know why this is an issue - imagine if the fireballs from Grimm's uppercut landed in a random position every time he used that attack.
Orb barrage (phase 6): Occasionally, an orb can spawn right above you, rendering the usual tactic of leading the orbs off-screen ineffective and rendering future orbs exceedingly awkward to dodge. In addition, you cannot heal in this phase (or the previous phase), so you have whatever health you ended Phase 5 in (usually only one or two hits).
It is honestly one of the worst bosses I've ever fought in a game.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't play much of HK's DLC. Normal Radiance is enough of a challenge.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States

And not in a good way. Here's the issues with the fight's attacks (I suspect that not many people here have even got to Absolute Radiance, much less beat her):
Spikes: A layer of spikes that covers half the arena and restricts your ability to dodge attacks. Causes massive issues in conjunction with the other attacks. In addition, if Absolute Radiance hangs over the side of the arena where the spikes are, she is effectively unhittable with the nail.
Triple laser: Either has the aim of an autoaim bot or a Stormtrooper. If she uses it in Phase 2 when the spikes transition from one end of the arena to the other, then the lasers restrict your movement and you are unable to move to the safe end of the arena in time.
Double sword wheel: The swords are a hazard as soon as they spawn. If on Phase 4 Absolute Radiance spawns on the platform you're standing on and uses this attack, you will get hit without the use of Descending Dark.
Horizontal swords: Not difficult to dodge, but prolongs the fight as it makes attacking her incredibly dangerous.
Vertical swords: Combines the two problems of the horizontal swords (attacking her is incredibly dangerous) and the triple laser (restricts your movement, which can lead to an undodgeable situation if the spikes spawn below you).
4 orbs of light (phases 1, 2 and 4): The orbs can clip through the ground if they spawn right underneath it, which is an issue when you're supposed to cause said orbs to hit the ground to dodge them. In addition, the orbs of light can be obscured by the Radiance's halo, as shown here: https://imgur.com/hYYncae
Pillar of light: The cooldown for this attack is far shorter than that of Absolute Radiance's other attacks. If you're standing on the wrong platform in Phase 4, or if the spikes in Phase 2 are on the side that the pillar of light is coming from, then Absolute Radiance will use an entirely new attack while you're busy dodging the lasers.
Stairway to Hell (phase 5): The lasers on Phase 5 come out so fast that it's near-impossible to react to it properly. This is an issue as they do not target you specifically - they instead target a random location close to you, so you can very well use your shadowdash in anticipation of it, only for you to get hit as the laser targeted a different location. In addition, you cannot heal in this phase, so you die in six hits at most. If you don't know why this is an issue - imagine if the fireballs from Grimm's uppercut landed in a random position every time he used that attack.
Orb barrage (phase 6): Occasionally, an orb can spawn right above you, rendering the usual tactic of leading the orbs off-screen ineffective and rendering future orbs exceedingly awkward to dodge. In addition, you cannot heal in this phase (or the previous phase), so you have whatever health you ended Phase 5 in (usually only one or two hits).
It is honestly one of the worst bosses I've ever fought in a game.

I was going to say Sword Saint, but this looks absolutely bonkers. You got my votes, fuck that.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about Absolute Radiance is the shitty new ending you unlock only by beating her at the end of the Pantheon of Hollownest.

A shitty new ending that is only made tolerable by delivering the delicate flower to the Godseeker. Joy.

Oct 25, 2017
Yozora on Critical BY FAR.

I pity the person who played through the DLC for the first time on Level 1 Crit.

Before Re:MIND, I'd likely go with some Defiled Chalice boss in Bloodborne or something like that.

EDIT: Worth mentioning I didn't do the insane Hollow Knight boss rushes, I can definitely believe some of them would be harder.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see how I would EVER beat Lady Butterfly. Lol. That ramped up quickly.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
I would say Nightmare King Grimm from Hollow Knight. Orphan Kos and Isshin were very difficult, but I was at least able to beat them. I just gave up on NKG. And I didn't even try the other form of Radiance, so maybe that is the hardest if harder than NKG.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk, Sargeras took a 30-person guild prepared to the teeth and with militarylike discipline 500+ attempts, roughly 35 hours of wipes over a month

Imma go with that one, or any endgame MMO boss really

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yozora on Critical mode for sure, but at least that was the fun, well designed kind of difficult.

I've heard horror stories about Extreme Behemoth in MHW, though.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
It wasnt the most extreme or the hardest, but the "Mirror Match" in Control was probably my favorite this gen.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I had to retry Genichiro more than Sword Saint I think, that battle was a wake up call and forced me to change my general approach to fights... which helped me for most fights including the final boss. Owl 2.0 and Demon of Hatred were harder, DoH took me a long time and was also not fun. Because of the posts at the time I was ready to spend ages on Isshin but it went okay. Then when I replayed the game months later on pc I had him at like the third try. Sekiro on 60 fps was a real 'weighted clothing coming off' moment for me, it was liberating cruising through the game.

Watchdog of the Old Lords took me a looong time in BB. He doesn't have a large moveset but getting your lifebar cut in half is a serious handicap and he also takes quite a beating.

Nightmare King Grimm in HK is definitely the hardest boss of that game, but I never played the final dlc. Mantis Lords are also a pain if you try doing them early.

Never played the DkS II & III dlc's, all these Fume Knight mentions make me curious.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
Mold 1 from Control.

Or that asshole flying demon in the basement once you beat the game.

Fuck them.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This gen for me it was Champion Gundyr. First boss from a Fromsoft title that took well over 20 tries to the point I had change my play style for it. Funny enough on my second playthrough for platinum I summoned a mage who one shotted him, that was fun to watch.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Fuck it, let's do a top 10

10. Data Xion (Kingdom Hearts 3)
9. Phantom Express (Cuphead)
8. Nameless King (Dark Souls 3)
7. Lavenza (Persona 5 Royal)
6. Vergil (Devil May Cry 5)
5. King Cerberus ( Devil May Cry 5)
4. Owl (Sekiro)
3. Demon of Hatred (Sekiro)
2. Ludwig (Bloodborne)
1. Sword Saint Isshin Ashina (Sekiro)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Father Gascogne certainly gave me the most trouble out of any boss I fought all gen, including every other non-DLC Bloodborne boss.

Sword Saint Isshin is likely tougher but there's an easy cheese for him, which is the only way I was able to take him down. Still super stressful to fight.

Dr. Kahl and his motherfucking robot.

Part of me wants to change my answer to this, but that stupid robot didn't make me so frustrated I quit Cuphead for months.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I didn't have all the upgrades, but some of the Hollow Knight bosses are ridiculous. I really need to fully upgrade my Knight before trying Nightmare King Grimm or Absolute Radiance again.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Lady Butterfly. I tried for two weeks and couldn't do it. Got so pissed off that I uninstalled the game twice and eventually sold it.
...rebought it a year later and beat her on 3rd attempt 🤷‍♂️

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead was a really easy game before they nerfed weapon swapping. You snooze you lose!

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
It wasn't difficult per se, but holy hell the final sequence in Yakuza 0 goes on for (literally) hours. No checkpoints means you have to commit a chunk of your life to finishing the game.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the real answer would probably be some MMO Superboss. Alexander Ultimate in FFXIV takes a group of 8 people months to beat, with over 100 hours of playtime.

If we're not counting those though, it would probably be one of the Souls games. I keep seeing Isshin mentioned which is interesting because he was never the boss that gave me the most trouble in that game. Isshin is more of a test of mechanics that you've already learned throughout the game. Bosses like Demon of Hatred and the Headless Apes were test of endurance, which wasn't really something the game ever expected out of you before those points. So they gave me a lot more trouble.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Putting in what I think is the first vote for Okumura's robots in Persona 5. What a frustrating, NOT FUN nightmare that was.

The final boss, the Reaper, other extra bosses... none were as un-fun as that endless stream of robots in the outer space palace.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
What was the most difficult boss you faced?
My vote goes to Extreme Behemoth from Monster Hunter World (Pre-Iceborne). Was never able to beat it in vanilla MHW, and had to wait until Iceborne was released to finally kill it with MR Gear.
img02_555x328-1280x720.jpg

I read that Ancient Leshen was even more difficult than it, but I never faced it until after its nerf and post Iceborne.

Nah, Ancient Leshen is definitely not more difficult compared to Extreme Behemoth, and yes I say this as a player who beat it before the nerf and pre-Iceborne. You just need to have people carry flash bombs and able to do dragon dive properly.

Extreme Behemoth pre-MR rank is just a whole other level entirely.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I'm really curious about the Yozora Critical fight now. Problem is I generally can't get into the KH games. Might just dive into it someday

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Dark Eater Midir (Dark SOuls 3 DLC).
Only Souls Boss i have never beat, thank God no trophy is associated with this Bastard.

Demon of Hatred (Sekiro)
Technically i killed him by Mistake, He fell in the valley.

Owl Father (Sekiro)
I killed him, yes, but it took me almost 50 tries.

Orphan of Kos (Bloodborne)
Fuck this monkey and his second form.

Lawrence (Bloodborne)
Optional, yes, but wanted to kill him for the trophy.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if its the hardest, but its the one I hated the most during my playthrough of Dark Souls 3, fuck her (her?)

dark_souls_3_boss_how_to_beat_dancer_of_the_boreal_valley.jpg

Dancer of the Boreal Valley