• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been several years since fighting games started having unique dialog for every fight, and no games do it better than the Mortal Kombat games. The MK lore is so delicious, and going through and seeing every combination of pre-fight dialog for every character adds to it a whole bunch. I love how just a few lines of dialog can be alternatively epic or outright hilarious. My favorite dialog by far belongs to the Cage clan:

Part of the reason I can't wait for the new Story-mode DLC for Mortal Kombat is for the inevitably awesome Robocop vs Terminator dialog.

Feel free to post your favorite MK pre-fight dialogs here, there are seriously hundreds of them by now.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about how much of a step above the rest NetherRealms is for fighters. I haven't seen that much care put into a fighter since like forever. I wish Japan went more that route or at least a Rival Schools route

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was just thinking about how much of a step above the rest NetherRealms is for fighters. I haven't seen that much care put into a fighter since like forever. I wish Japan went more that route or at least a Rival Schools route

Unfortunately while they do good story modes, have good graphics and sell a lot of copies, the rest of the game doesn't match up to that. Would be great if they took some lessons from Japan on how to make long term engaging fighting games.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
It's up there.

Lowain in Granblue Fantasy is probably my favorite. Also helps that it has amazing delivery in both English and Japanese and going the MK route of having unique dialogue for every matchup

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I think fatal fury 3 got it beat 2 decades ago
tumblr_n3hqpmiSL61qd9g7oo1_1280.png

Also i think i get the reference in this one now..
EDt0Jr8U4AApXzt.png

EI3M9V7WoAAXWAW.jpg

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
MK is the only fighting game trying, I think it should be copied by everyone, snk has a super little only to super connect characters, sfv is non existent

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the ones most mentioned are comedic and to be fair, most other fighting games aren't trying to be funny.

Still prefer the special intros from GG

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Soul Calibur desperately needed a bump up in this, thought for sure it would be added in the 2.0 patch or whatever, the few differences in dialogue certain characters have are nice and really show what could've been a much more interesting interaction system.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
NRS has really turned the three-part intro sequence into a science, a staple, and a legit selling point. It's really telling that of all the things MK11 allows you to customize, the one thing it absolutely does not let you touch is the intro dialogue. Granted, every character has several with every other character (including themselves) so it's most likely infeasible to begin with, but at the same time there's a magic in stumbling onto the Raiden vs. Cetrion intro where Cetrion makes it clear she killed Fujin or the Spawn vs. Scorpion intro where Spawn references goddamn Soul Calibur that I imagine they'd like to preserve.

ASW is really the only other company that comes even close to this sort of thing (special shout-out to the sheer scale of the Lowain intros and outros in GranBlue), and a small part of why I'd love for them to tackle, say, a full Shonen Jump game is in part because of that sort of attention.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They learned from MvC3 and then made it their own. MX11 had so many great ones (and so many varied ones between the same characters!)

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's short, straight to the point, amusing, funny, hilarious, etc.

Once I thought old KOF fight intro for certain character vs certain character = cool, but Mortal Kombat made it to one character vs all characters intro = amazing.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Even Spawn vs intros are fire, due to the fact that Keith David's voice & reprising his role as Spawn again.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

This is honestly an insane amount of unique facial animations and every character is this polished. 😰 Seriously Harley Quinn looks like a digital double of a cosplayer lmao. That's how detailed she looks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sub Zero: I now fight for the defenseless. You should turn away.
Scarecrow: Why is that?
Sub Zero: Because I have engaged in Mortal Kombat.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
NGL when it comes to fighters aren't NRS games the only ones that do have dialogue and interactions pre-fight anymore? Like it's one of the things I miss most about the presentation of old capcom games, they bring so much character to the roster

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Johnny Cage vs any movie icon is always golden, for obvious reasons:

And MK11 shows Noob to be surprisingly witty for a heartless shadow of his former self (Shao Kahn even gives him props); try taking a shot every time he uses 'death', 'darkness', or 'shadows' as a retort. :P

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
A lot of modern ones aren't trying at this scope I don't think. Granblue's the one piece of competition I can single out and it's mostly carried by Lowain being ridiculous and other really noticeable exceptions (Narmaya getting extremely happy vs MC). I appreciate SF having unique post-fight quotes but they aren't voiced or focused on very much.

Kano getting called a second-rate Jarek is a crazy low blow

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
MK does not even have alternate paths for killing or sparring the opponent. Also hope the guys behind the lb2 retranslation project translate these dialogues too. Never before have I seen such emotional dialogue ruined by bad translation. Also Norio Wakamoto shits on all MK voice actors. Except Amano he also voiced Igniz, Rugal and Bison.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 does this too, they're great and full of neat references.

They also do some unique lines for call ins/tagging in and victories as well.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Umvc3 is a treasure in this regard. Full of dialog that even meta-reference some comic book stories

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Mileena: You're repulsive.
Johnny Cage: Sleeping with Baraka is repulsive.
Mileena: WHO TOLD YOU THIS?!?!?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the entire first video in the OP. What I learned is these games have a surprisingly cute sense of humor, lol.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for a game that's ass when it comes to actual gameplay and most of the community have actively complaining about MK11 I'm suprised the franchise is getting so much love on era these days.