• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of LRG's Monkey Island™ Anthology?

• I love it!

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • I hate it!

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

Votes: 168 66.7%

• Total voters

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
The collection includes all five games in a single USB flash drive.
Tbh the biggest insult in this LRG release is that the five games are on a USB Stick.

Like, that's per definition a physical release, I get that, but LRG is supposed to be about discs, carts, etc. This is just five cracked installs on a custom-case USB dongle, that's basically digital lmao. Have a box set with a nice DVD box for each games and then we'll talk.

Yeah, this is really confusing to me. I see a physical release as being on a disc. Granted, PC is basically all-digital these days (and some of these games were on floppies to begin with so you can't match the original media either), but still. I mean, LRG is putting out Sega CD games these days, and the Star Wars stuff were on discs too.

Have they done any PC games on a USB before?

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this thing so much.

Right, it basically defined my gaming tastes. I have volume 1 too which contains Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Fate of Atlantis. I have essentially a full CD-ROM collection of LucasArts adventure games in terms of disks, but only have the big boxes for Escape From Monkey Island and Grim Fandango.

Including this in the collection might have been a nice gesture, if they could have made it happen; but not as the only way to play the original.

It would definitely be cool, but I don't mind using ScummVM, it's usually one of the first things I install whenever I get a new computer.

Oct 27, 2017
I said it in the other thread but the only thing that is even remotely interesting for me is the book but not $160 interesting. It's a shame that nobody seems happy with the results.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The best part about it was finding out that you can buy those (probably unlicensed) Murray pins, and they glow in the dark.
There's a really good LeChuck one from another seller called S and M Pins. I was dead set on buying both until I saw that shipping to Canada for each of them is higher cost than the pin itself. $65 USD for two pins, I can't do that.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There's a really good LeChuck one from another seller called S and M Pins. I was dead set on buying both until I saw that shipping to Canada for each of them is higher cost than the pin itself. $65 USD for two pins, I can't do that.
It really is ridiculous. A pin is small and easy to ship. It shouldn't be expensive to send anywhere in the world.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Because the high res assets almost certainly don't exist. Things weren't made in 4k back then - hell I believe the original capped out at 480p and looked incredible for the time- and even stuff that was made at higher res isn't preserved. You're basically asking for a full remake, and I don't think the first two MI remakes justified doing the third.

The main easy way to do it would be AI upscaling which looks pretty good but companies don't seem to like that route.

Wow, that upscaling looks incredible! Wish there was a way for the whole game to run like that....

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, it basically defined my gaming tastes. I have volume 1 too which contains Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Fate of Atlantis. I have essentially a full CD-ROM collection of LucasArts adventure games in terms of disks, but only have the big boxes for Escape From Monkey Island and Grim Fandango.

It would definitely be cool, but I don't mind using ScummVM, it's usually one of the first things I install whenever I get a new computer.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had Volume 1 as well. Although they're long gone now, no clue where they are :(

OP
OP
EeK9X

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
also re: this complaint and a few others, the owner of LRG has addressed the issues in a thread. basically they have contractual obligations to Disney, they don't have access to high res assets and they can't use the LucasArts logo

From that thread, it also seems they are willing to reiterate a bit on the stuff Disney will let them, so there's a chance some minor improvements could still happen, even if the biggest issues will probably remain.

How absurd is it that a licensed product can't use the logo of the company that made said product in the first place? Even worse, when they're all owned by the same corporation! Still, I wasn't talking about LucasArts, but Lucasfilm Games, which is different than Lucasfilm Ltd. They can use the latter, but not the former?

Also, they're just shipping the exact same USB stick from their SW "Definitive Editions", printed on a different color. This is a complaint I have about most of LRG recent releases: they don't have anything unique about them. They always seem to include the same generic stuff: enamel pins, pewter miniatures... And it's not an issue exclusive to their licensed items from Disney, either, as Shantae, Chex Quest, Blaster Master Zero and many others all followed the same pattern.

The irony is that this was a perfect opportunity to include a metal verb coin from Curse (like these people are doing)...

If LRG are so concerned about budgetary constraints, why not ax the statuette and the shadowbox? The statue is more than likely the most expensive item of the set to produce, and their design choice is controversial, to say the least (not to mention canonically incorrect). As for the shadowbox, it's a neat idea, but if that's also what's driving up the costs, I say it has to go.

Any of the items that I mentioned in my dream list would be preferable over those two, while still being relatively cheap and realistic to produce in large quantities. There are artists selling custom-made three-headed monkey plushies for €25. Heck, Game Informer gave away a dozen of Guybrush voodoo dolls to celebrate the release of MI2:SE way back in 2010!

You either sell a simpler CE of decades-old games for a reasonable price (in the $60 to $80 range), or you better include some primo feelies if you're planning on charging ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FREAKING DOLLARS for it.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm pretty sure I had Volume 1 as well. Although they're long gone now, no clue where they are :(
Nice, it was such a great deal back when it came out. As devastated as I was about the demise of LucasArts into a Star Wars only company and then being bought by Disney, I am glad that almost all of their great back catalog is easily available on digital store fronts. At this point I have made peace with the fact that I can play all the great games of my youth on modern PCs, but we're unlikely to ever get anything of the same quality.

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
I see the complaints, especially about the artwork, but speaking as a massive Monkey Island fan (I have a Tales of stein on my desk at this moment) I like both the statue and the shadowbox.

Given it's an anthology release, I'm not sure why the statue being canon is a problem - that said, I'd prefer the mentioned gold Elaine or even a Murray skull.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
How absurd is it that a licensed product can't use the logo of the company that made said product in the first place? Even worse, when they're all owned by the same corporation! Still, I wasn't talking about LucasArts, but Lucasfilm Games, which is different than Lucasfilm Ltd. They can use the latter, but not the former?

Also, they're just shipping the exact same USB stick from their SW "Definitive Editions", printed on a different color. This is a complaint I have about most of LRG recent releases: they don't have anything unique about them. They always seem to include the same generic stuff: enamel pins, pewter miniatures... And it's not an issue exclusive to their licensed items from Disney, either, as Shantae, Chex Quest, Blaster Master Zero and many others all followed the same pattern.

The irony is that this was a perfect opportunity to include a metal verb coin from Curse (like these people are doing)...

If LRG are so concerned about budgetary constraints, why not ax the statuette and the shadowbox? The statue is more than likely the most expensive item of the set to produce, and their design choice is controversial, to say the least (not to mention canonically incorrect). As for the shadowbox, it's a neat idea, but if that's also what's driving up the costs, I say it has to go.

Any of the items that I mentioned in my dream list would be preferable over those two, while still being relatively cheap and realistic to produce in large quantities. There are artists selling custom-made three-headed monkey plushies for €25. Heck, Game Informer gave away a dozen of Guybrush voodoo dolls to celebrate the release of MI2:SE way back in 2010!

You either sell a simpler CE of decades-old games for a reasonable price (in the $60 to $80 range), or you better include some primo feelies if you're planning on charging ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FREAKING DOLLARS for it.
Well said. The worst part about everything is that they are charging $160 for it.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
The very first thing that you should think about an antology limited of Money Island is the rubber chicken with a pulley. COME ON.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Because the high res assets almost certainly don't exist. Things weren't made in 4k back then - hell I believe the original capped out at 480p and looked incredible for the time- and even stuff that was made at higher res isn't preserved. You're basically asking for a full remake, and I don't think the first two MI remakes justified doing the third.

The main easy way to do it would be AI upscaling which looks pretty good but companies don't seem to like that route.

You're right, but it was all hand drawn animation and while I'm sure they didn't scan them in at a high resolution, there's surely a good chance they would've saved the original assets. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but that seems to be to be the type of thing LucasArts/Lucasfilm would have done. After all, they would have owned the assets whatever animation studio had been contracted to create... right?

Even just two or three years after release it was obvious that the game looked low resolution and someone had to be of the mind that a re-release was inevitable at some point when such a resolution would be unacceptable. Still probably wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.

Denghiu

May 24, 2020
Not digging it. Like many already said, it is a pity that they didn't/couldn't use the amazing graphics, colors and assets that these franchise is famous for. The all-black look is quite sad.
I would be very interested in getting the book aside though.

Oct 30, 2017
The ultimate insult mistranslation cracked me up. Yes, it's not incredibly legible in the pixel art, but 1) the recipe is in the game and 2) silver, gold, badass...which one of these things is not like the other? just some critical thinking could have fixed this.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
You're right, but it was all hand drawn animation and while I'm sure they didn't scan them in at a high resolution, there's surely a good chance they would've saved the original assets. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but that seems to be to be the type of thing LucasArts/Lucasfilm would have done. After all, they would have owned the assets whatever animation studio had been contracted to create... right?

Even just two or three years after release it was obvious that the game looked low resolution and someone had to be of the mind that a re-release was inevitable at some point when such a resolution would be unacceptable. Still probably wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.
Even if they had the assets, I think you're drastically overestimating how useful/usable/high res they might be. Also as mentioned: they literally can't access the Lucas vaults right now because of Covid. Maybe we'll get information about what happened to it from the books. And I mean maybe we're lucky and an ex-Lucas employee plundered old assets and they get leaked (like the soundtrack).

Also not sure what you're talking about with the graphics, the general consensus is the game looks extremely beautiful and aged better than basically anything else from 1997. That's 23 years ago. 1024x768 monitors weren't even the most common monitor resolution until 2005(?), no idea why you're saying it was low res in like 1999 (low bitrate, absolutely). Definitely wishful thinking. Like I said: AI upscaling is almost certainly the only cost effective way that game gets a higher resolution.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
66ff8860856c36049f512f13d2d275eb.png

that image + "badass" are kinda damning.

🤣

And honestly - if they included a statue, make it "Curse" Guybrush - if you don't wanna have the headaches of creating a 3D model from pixel-art

Like, who even is that?
Li09dKO.png

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, op, for the write up. I didn't even notice there wasn't any physical copies of the games save for the USB.

Still, while the majority here hates the "new" Guybrush statue, I only wished that it had both him and Elaine. Maybe modeled after that ending shot of MI 1.

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada

this! especially the price point. and this is the series known for lampooning game prices.

also a good point made over at the reddit thread: how good can this book be if LRG can't get access to the Lucasfilm archives?

finally, has it been pointed out here that the ultimate insult poster (beyond being horrible drawn) has a typo? it's supposed to save 'bronze' not 'badass'

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Honestly it seems like the whole Lucasarts line they've been doing is the ultimate example of skimping on production costs to maximize profit. The whole Star Wars line-up they did had probably the most boring and uninspired packaging cover artwork (and with the same Lucasfilm USB that Monkey Island is apparently using):

DARKFORCES_LimitedRun_1024x1024-1024x512.jpg

unnamed-7.png

MockUp_CE_Banner_JediOutcast_SWITCH_223a5139-5e91-4e6c-9684-431f0b608c61.png

DARKFORCESII_LimitedRun_1024x1024-1024x512.jpg

MockUp_CE_Banner_Episode1Racer_SWITCH.png

EfEPTjAWAAET0j-

BountyHunter_limitedrungames_2.png

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
  1. A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle, from The Secret of Monkey Island™ (c'mon, that's a given);
  2. A Guybrush Threepwood voodoo doll, from Monkey Island™ 2: LeChuck's Revenge;
  3. A talking Murray, the demonic skull, toy (or at least a paper weight), from The Curse of Monkey Island™;
  4. An empty case symbolizing the nonexistence of Escape from Monkey Island™;
  5. A flask containing the tears of former Telltale Games employees, from Tales of Monkey Island™;
  6. A poster with brand new art by Steve Purcell, just like Telltale commissioned for Tales;
  7. Games in independent physical media, each with its own big box replica packaging with proper artworks;
  8. An "Ask me about Grim Fandango" button, since the Loom one has already been made available;
  9. Cloth maps (or at least prints/postcards) of all major islands in the series;
  10. Dial-A-Pirate and Mix 'N' Mojo DRM wheels.

As a fan of the series...

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money-1024x1280.jpg

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
as much as I was initially "this is neat" about the package, the more I've reflected on it and the more I've seen alternate pitches the more I'm swinging towards "Oh actually this should be better".

I think the major issue is they've spent a ton of money making a making of book that pushes the price up significantly as an item that people would probably rather just buy separately.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Even if they had the assets, I think you're drastically overestimating how useful/usable/high res they might be. Also as mentioned: they literally can't access the Lucas vaults right now because of Covid. Maybe we'll get information about what happened to it from the books. And I mean maybe we're lucky and an ex-Lucas employee plundered old assets and they get leaked (like the soundtrack).

Also not sure what you're talking about with the graphics, the general consensus is the game looks extremely beautiful and aged better than basically anything else from 1997. That's 23 years ago. 1024x768 monitors weren't even the most common monitor resolution until 2005(?), no idea why you're saying it was low res in like 1999 (low bitrate, absolutely). Definitely wishful thinking. Like I said: AI upscaling is almost certainly the only cost effective way that game gets a higher resolution.

Now that I think about it (it's been a while since I played), what I'm mostly thinking about are the in-game sprites. They could definitely do with some sprucing up. I vividly remember the day I bought the game, didn't even stop to play it on my own pc, I went down to a friend's place, fired it up on his 486 100MHz pc (both had 1024*768 monitors, I remember that much, and we had pretty basic pc's - even his father's older 485 66MHz had a 1024*768 monitor, I believe) and played it for hours. We were absolutely impressed with how the game looked, as were his family. Because of the art style even with low resolution assets the game still looks great even to this day. Could use a resolution bump, but nothing that really sticks out.

Just the game sprites could do with a little clean, but even they still look good even at the end of 2020. A strong art style will always shine through and clearly that is the case with Curse.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Yeah, this collection is pretty lackluster and completely insanely prized.
This amazing series deserves something far better than this.

About the Curse artwork excisting in physical form. I think I read somewhere that it doesn't exist since it was basically created, or at least heavily worked on in photoshop, so the only way to get higher resolution artwork would be to actually redraw it. Which the artist from Curse, Bill Tiller, actually offered to do during the Remasters release. But we all know how that went.
I'm not sure I'd want redrawn artwork as I love the original so much and I think it looks perfectly fine still, just as the first two games do.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

About the Curse artwork excisting in physical form. I think I read somewhere that it doesn't exist since it was basically created, or at least heavily worked on in photoshop, so the only way to get higher resolution artwork would be to actually redraw it. Which the artist from Curse, Bill Tiller, actually offered to do during the Remasters release. But we all know how that went.
I'm not sure I'd want redrawn artwork as I love the original so much and I think it looks perfectly fine still, just as the first two games do.
He did? Man, we could have gotten a hd curse in another life, this stings.

Deleted member 3203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada

Laserschwert (who started working with LRG after they "used" his art on the Sega CD SMI release) already obtained a clean, high-res version of the Curse poster from Bill. You can find the logo-less version here: https://mixnmojo.com/galleries/full/full20200819112304.jpg

So I don't buy a lot of this spin from LRG. I also don't believe there aren't people at Lucasfilm who could help scan, find files for the project.

Its a rush job, and it shows.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Laserschwert (who started working with LRG after they "used" his art on the Sega CD SMI release) already obtained a clean, high-res version of the Curse poster from Bill. You can find the logo-less version here: https://mixnmojo.com/galleries/full/full20200819112304.jpg

So I don't buy a lot of this spin from LRG. I also don't believe there aren't people at Lucasfilm who could help scan, find files for the project.

Its a rush job, and it shows.
I was talking about the in game art in Curse though.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My guess is that they can't use the LucasArts logo for the same reason recent Star Wars games use the Lucasfilm logo: it's the one they're using for everything now.

I don't know what Disney required them to do in the contract, but hopefully the 30% they can change is enough to make it better.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh the biggest insult in this LRG release is that the five games are on a USB Stick.

Like, that's per definition a physical release, I get that, but LRG is supposed to be about discs, carts, etc. This is just five cracked installs on a custom-case USB dongle, that's basically digital lmao. Have a box set with a nice DVD box for each games and then we'll talk.

The two options were close but more people voted for USB stick than disk. For me personally, I find that CDs are in an awkward position where they're just old enough to be useless for most people (most computers these days don't have a disk drive) but not old enough to be nostalgic like a cartridge or a floppy disk would be.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Ah, sorry. Misunderstood.

That said, Bill has been playing around with updated artwork. https://mixnmojo.com/news/Bill-updating-Curse-of-Monkey-Island-backgrounds-on-spec
Interesting, I hadn't seen that!
Redrawing the art certainly is a interesting way to go, but for me it looses a bit of the original charm since it's both a new drawing and a new visual style. It'd be more of a reimagining instead of a HD version of the original. It just wouldn't be "MY" Curse of Monkey Island. Though that wouldn't be a problem for new players of course.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man the more I think about this the more sad I get. Really hope they take this off the release list and go back to the drawing board with it.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not too fuzzed about the collection, since I'm just going to assume that they aren't including the superior German dub (which also isn't on GOG) in this for Curse of Monkey Island anyway. As a German Monkey Island fan, that's all I care about (and thankfully was able to mod into the re-release).

Also adding to the choir of "this wasn't the Guybrush design we wanted for a statue".

Deleted member 3203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
Interesting, I hadn't seen that!
Redrawing the art certainly is a interesting way to go, but for me it looses a bit of the original charm since it's both a new drawing and a new visual style. It'd be more of a reimagining instead of a HD version of the original. It just wouldn't be "MY" Curse of Monkey Island. Though that wouldn't be a problem for new players of course.

For me, as long as the original is included and can be switched back in game (like with MI 1 & 2 SEs) then I'm okay with it. Its a great game, and deserves a remaster of any sort.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It really is ridiculous. A pin is small and easy to ship. It shouldn't be expensive to send anywhere in the world.
I was going to contact the seller to ask them if they can just put the pin in a letter, and mail it the cheapest way possible. But to contact anyone it seems like you need an Etsy account and I don't feel like making one :\

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
as much as I was initially "this is neat" about the package, the more I've reflected on it and the more I've seen alternate pitches the more I'm swinging towards "Oh actually this should be better".

I think the major issue is they've spent a ton of money making a making of book that pushes the price up significantly as an item that people would probably rather just buy separately.
They should tell us more details about the book and give us a better idea of what it actually is (page count, sample pages, who's being interviewed, etc) rather than "trust us, it's going to be totally rad!"

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge MI fan and wouldn't touch this even for $100. The SE art is some of the worst in gaming and to make the statue based on it is just insane.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
looks like complaining worked and the whole "yeah we can't do anything because Disney" excuse didn't really hold up:

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like adventure games and have never played anything in The Monkey Island series—which I only say because, despite having no skin in the game whatsoever, I really loved reading the OP. Fantastic job on making an interesting and compelling case to someone who would otherwise be disinterested.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Well I can only say for someone like myself who grew up with the games on Amiga 500 that it was not the perfect sequel I was looking for. The story and the Guybrush American voice acting really turned me off. That's not to disparage his voice acting, it was very good but in the first two games the voice in my head was classic British. It was a great game but I have always been disappointed with it because of my own expectations.

I would never shit talk it though. It is a very well designed game and visually it holds up very well.

tenor.gif

What I hate the most is that I now associate Dominic Armato's voice with the character after playing Curse, and the Special Editions.
I can't go back and play the originals without having that voice in my head, and it's just not how I imagined the character to be.

I don't hate Curse, but I don't really care for it either.
I like the art style, as compressed as it is, but never really cared for it much as a game - and was very disappointed in it as a sequel to the first two when I first played it back in '97.

I never liked the voices or the cartoon styles of the characters. It was like watching the movie of a much loved book with the actors not matching at all. It was Saturday morning cartoon style when I wanted more Pirates of the Caribbean style.

This is my Guybrush:

guybrush-and-elane-never-pay-more-than-20-bucks.jpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no rubber chicken with pulley in the middle or Guybrush voodoo doll is silly.

I was hoping this series would get the Jak and Daxter treatment. They clearly put in a ton of effort and those CEs came out great.
I can't even believe the Jak games got such good CEs. The actual ports of the game ranged from alright to unplayable and awful, but the CEs seemed so good.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Haha, your reply cheered me up after a miserable day. I was too kind to the game in my reply to be honest. There were many more things I didn't like about but I didn't want people to think I was trolling.

It's a series that means a lot to fans no less so than those that were there at the beginning.

Deleted member 3203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
International House of MOJO has an interview with LRG about the challenges of putting together this set: https://mixnmojo.com/features/inter...es-Monkey-Island-30th-Anniversary-Interview/2

while i'm curious to see what changes comes out of this, indicating that individual releases may be pursued down the road when they have access to the archives really just highlights how this whole project should be delayed.

VaeVictis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen this excellent Making of Monkey Island video published here yet. As someone who got to experience these games when they first came out and change the industry forever, I am amazed of these very talented people and their skills to overcome limitations of technology of that time.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they do an AI upscale of Curse of Monkey Island.
With the techniques we have now it would look way better.