• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Hostility, backseat modding, and ignoring the staff post across multiple posts
I think the point you are making is fair, but it's a hard pill to swallow for a lot of people. Here is a video, made by a known rightwing propagandist, which was designed with the sole intention* of convincing the viewer to not vote for Joe Biden this fall. I will admit that I was not able to make it more than halfway through the video before I turned it off. I equate it to someone showing me pictures of the dead children from Obama's drone strikes. Do this children deserve to have their story told and lives remembered? Yes, of course. But as a viewer I am not going to be receptive to it when I feel like it's coming from a place of political manipulation.

*Again, let me be clear that I don't think Tara Reade has that intention. She is being exploited by Megyn Kelly.
Well honestly if you're telling me that you can't take in the point about kids being murdered because the person showing you it is disingenous with their reasoning for showing the fucking truth then it sounds like you don't actually care about those kids getting murdered at all. And thus the same could be said about Tara, if you can't watch the video despite it being almost entirely just Tara's own words, because Megyn is using the literal truth to push an agenda then you clearly don't actually care about tara and should just stop pretending so you can feel like a good person

Dec 22, 2017
Well honestly if you're telling me that you can't take in the point about kids being murdered because the person showing you it is disingenous with their reasoning for showing the fucking truth then it sounds like you don't actually care about those kids getting murdered at all. And thus the same could be said about Tara, if you can't watch the video despite it being almost entirely just Tara's own words, because Megyn is using the literal truth to push an agenda then you clearly don't actually care about tara and should just stop pretending so you can feel like a good person

Nice try psychoanalyzing me, but I made a pretty clear point about not wanting to be in the audience of rightwing propaganda. Choose to interpret that however you like.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Seriously if people arent going to watch the interview even when alternative links are provided then all they are doing is derailing this thread.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Nice try psychoanalyzing me, but I made a pretty clear point about not wanting to be in the audience of rightwing propaganda. Choose to interpret that however you like.
It is a fucking interview, it is almost entirely Tara's own words, all Megyn does is ask the question and most of them, especially the ones that I found slightly distasteful are literally just her asking the same shit that people on this forum and people on twitter have been saying or demanding answers for. The interview itself is not rightwing propaganda. It will be used for propaganda but it is not itself propaganda it is a rape victim telling her story

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
What does that have to do with choosing a right wing propagandist & blackface defender?

what does being a blackface defender have to do with Tara Reade? What does the person who helped Harvey Weinstein running Biden's campaign have to do with this sexual assault story and the way it's been covered in the media? who can say

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
After watching the interview, there are absolutely parts that I think make Reade seem even more credible--her emphasis that voting for Biden without dismissing or disbelieving her as a valid position seems very heartfelt.

At the same time, she says things that come across as carrying political intent. I already voiced my complaint with certain camps acting like the Democratic Party as an institution has utterly betrayed its values, and Reade reiterates the point that it's only okay to report sexual assault and harassment when it's not a Democrat involved. This is just not true.

She also goes on to double-down on the idea that she's not been afforded a platform--even suggesting that her ex-boyfriend and ex-landlord have even more of a platform than she does. Why lean so hard into this when it's not true?

Some of her explanations for her own quotes aren't particularly compelling either, but that's whatever. Even if she was tweeting "tic toc" because she wanted to take down Biden, I think that's fine 🤷‍♀️

Polygraphs are pseudoscience, I don't understand how they're still a thing. Are they even admissible in court?
Yeah, thinking about it more it's actually a terrible idea. If Reade failed the polygraph, who would really think that was conclusive that she was lying this whole time?

EDIT: And for those skeptical about the interview but still considering watching, it really is inoffensive and professional. It doesn't come off as a typical Fox News interview or even a lot of Megyn Kelly's own work. It's very straightforward. I do think a transcript would help the health of this thread a lot though. I looked for one to share after watching and it just looks like there's not one yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously if people arent going to watch the interview even when alternative links are provided then all they are doing is derailing this thread.
I disagree completely, as a queer person, I've been on the receiving end of Megyn Kelly's bullshit and bigoted, right wing attacks. I can't speak for people of color here, but I can't imagine being asked to take a blackface defender at face value feels very good. And honestly, it's scary to see people wave away all of the many, many heinous things Kelly has done. I would love for Reade to sit down with a reputable journalist to tell her story as I think it's important that she be heard but Kelly is not a reputable journalist and her involvement smacks of her trying to exploit Reade for her own gain.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Jeeez, 42 mins... I want.. need to see this but it might be too long, too upsetting considering the content.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I watched it. And I feel the same as before. Maybe more annoyed because we are giving people who are literally 3 ( there is an argument to be made 3 is too many, but I'll be generous) steps removed from David Duke in their open hateful rhetoric and views credit.

Here is the problem some aren't getting; the messenger matters. If she went to David Duke to tell her story I imagine none would be pushing it. But Megyn had a shred of credibility with some people because she's more elegant in her hate and was a serious news woman at one point.

And Megyn is only 3 steps removed from someone like that. So it's automatically disqualifying for a lot of people who know who Megyn is.

And the fact she turned down every other legitimate outlet also colors it further in the wrong light.

(And what does 3 steps means? It means she would denounce a white supremacist as trash while repackaging his/her views in a more palatable package. Which she does.)

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
At the same time, she says things that come across as carrying political intent. I already voiced my complaint with certain camps acting like the Democratic Party as an institution has utterly betrayed its values, and Reade reiterates the point that it's only okay to report sexual assault and harassment when it's not a Democrat involved. This is just not true.

She also goes on to double-down on the idea that she's not been afforded a platform--even suggesting that her ex-boyfriend and ex-landlord have even more of a platform than she does. Why lean so hard into this when it's not true?
It took her weeks for her story to get properly reported by big news outlets just from the initial story and we have no way to know definitively how long it took to arrange that so the idea that it took months is definitely not something you should so easily claim isn't true
And for those skeptical about the interview but still considering watching, it really is inoffensive and professional. It doesn't come off as a typical Fox News interview or even a lot of Megyn Kelly's own work. It's very straightforward. I do think a transcript would help the health of this thread a lot though. I looked for one to share after watching and it just looks like there's not one yet.
The issue with a transcript though is a lot of the emotion Tara's words will be lost with the transcript and quite frankly a lot of people on this forum need reminded that she is a human being with pain and trauma that they could easily ignore with a transcript

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree completely, as a queer person, I've been on the receiving end of Megyn Kelly's bullshit and bigoted, right wing attacks. I can't speak for people of color here, but I can't imagine being asked to take a blackface defender at face value feels very good. And honestly, it's scary to see people wave away all of the many, many heinous things Kelly has done. I would love for Reade to sit down with a reputable journalist to tell her story as I think it's important that she be heard but Kelly is not a reputable journalist and her involvement smacks of her trying to exploit Reade for her own gain.
No one's waved away Kelly's racist/bigoted bullshit. This thread isn't (wasn't) about that. It's about Tara Reade. That's why it hasn't been the focus.

More than half this thread is people complaining about Kelly, questioning Tara's story/reasoning, and they haven't at all watched the video.

Watch the video. Don't watch the video but stop putting words in other people's mouths or saying they're being dismissive of Megyn Kelly's blatant racist bigoted past.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
Even if Tara Reade was a right-wing Trump fool that wouldn't mean anything. Why are dismissing victims in the same way conservatives do "she changed her story", "why did she wait so long", "She's doing this for political gain".

Just listen to her. It's heartbreaking. This entire thing is heartbreaking.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I watched it. And I feel the same as before. Maybe more annoyed because we are giving people who are literally 3 ( there is an argument to be made 3 is too many, but I'll be generous) steps removed from David Duke in their open hateful rhetoric and views credit.

Here is the problem some aren't getting; the messenger matters. If she went to David Duke to tell her story I imagine none would be pushing it. But Megyn had a shred of credibility with some people because she's more elegant in her hate and was a serious news woman at one point.

And Megyn is only 3 steps removed from someone like that. So it's automatically disqualifying for a lot of people who know who Megyn is.

And the fact she turned down every other legitimate outlet also colors it further in the wrong light.

(And what does 3 steps means? It means she would denounce a white supremacist as trash while repackaging his/her views in a more palatable package. Which she does.)
So you watched it and then proceed to not mention the actual content of the interview at all?

And you don't need to give Megyn "credit" to actually take in Tara's words, it is a basic ass interview in style, Tara is the one speaking for the majority of the video, there is no reason to focus so fucking heavily on Megyn rather than Tara. And if repacking alt-right ideas into "a more palatable package" then half of this fucking forum can't talk after how they've talked about Tara, a victim of rape, using the same talking points as the right. And if its about racism being too much then sure, but it means nobody can fucking ever agree with anything Biden says on this forum ever again

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I dont think anyone here is a fan of Kelly, but the interview is almost entirely of Tara's words. Im sure the interview will be used for propaganda from the right, but the interview itself is Tara sharing her story.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No one's waved away Kelly's racist/bigoted bullshit. This thread isn't about that. It's about Tara Reade. That's why it hasn't been the focus.

More than half this thread is people complaining about Kelly, questioning Tara's story/reasoning, and they haven't at all watched the video.

Watch the video. Don't watch the video but stop putting words in other people's mouths.

Reade chose to do an interview with Kelly. Reade chose to prop up a hateful right wing zealot who has caused a lot of pain to a lot of people when she chose to sit down with Megyn Kelly.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
She could have gotten an interview with anyone she wanted. She cancelled an appearance with Don Lemon. She chose to sit down with Megyn Kelly.
Yes she did and that doesn't mean she is "propping her up", again she has nowhere near the influence to do that, it would be fucking nice if she did but if she did then she wouldn't need to be getting interviewed in the first place,

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
She could have gotten an interview with anyone she wanted. She cancelled an appearance with Don Lemon. She chose to sit down with Megyn Kelly.

Doing an interview with Megyn Kelly was a horrible decision. Absolutely one of the worst decisions Reade could have made.
but does that make her, and the people that vouch for her story, liars?

i do think she kinda pushes aside and minimizes the putin stuff when asked about that, and there will be people that won't really believe that part of it. like, oh okay now you have a problem with him? alright, whatever.

i think we're at an interesting cross-section here. she came forward because she saw someone else come forward and now she's rightfully concerned that we're elevating someone that did something pretty bad to her, allegedly.

and it's complicated moreso because trump isn't any better and even she doesn't want trump to benefit from this.

the democrats/dnc should just find a different compromise candidate. but i doubt it happens now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reade chose to do an interview with Kelly. Reade chose to prop up a hateful right wing zealot who has caused a lot of pain to a lot of people when she chose to sit down with Megyn Kelly.
Right. MK is a bigot who hurt a lot of people with her words and actions. That is not forgotten.

But we also need to discuss Tara Reade's situation as a victim - not avoid that because she's voicing it on a bad platform.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes she did and that doesn't mean she is "propping her up", again she has nowhere near the influence to do that, it would be fucking nice if she did but if she did then she wouldn't need to be getting interviewed in the first place,

She cancelled an interview with Don Lemon. She could have given an interview with anyone. She chose to lend her voice to a right wing zealot.

but does that make her, and the people that vouch for her, liars?

If Kelly wants people, if Kelly wants Democrats, to listen to her story, she made a horrible decision choosing to share it with Megyn Kelly.

Again, what does this have to do with my post?

Kelly is a part of this story. Reade made her a part of this story.

Right. MK is a bigot who hurt a lot of people with her words and actions. That is not forgotten.

But we also need to discuss Tara Reade's situation as a victim - not avoid that because she's voicing it on a bad platform.

Like I said, if Reade wants Democrats to listen to her story, choosing to share it with a right wing zealot like Kelly was one of the worst possible decisions she could have made.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
She cancelled an interview with Don Lemon. She could have given an interview with anyone. She chose to lend her voice to a right wing zealot.
that doesn't mean that her interview doesn't matter though or that people shouldn't watch it, nor does it make it okay for you to keep spamming the same point in this thread just to derail it. also have you watched the interview?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
The issue with a transcript though is a lot of the emotion Tara's words will be lost with the transcript and quite frankly a lot of people on this forum need reminded that she is a human being with pain and trauma that they could easily ignore with a transcript

I agree. At the same time it's very clear that some in this are interested in the discussion but will never watch a Kelly interview, and also others who are already sympathetic to Reade but worry about the effect the live interview might have on them.

Talking about the raw content at least would be far preferable than talking about how close Megyn Kelly sits to Satan's throne. (I don't like her either but that conversation is a clear dead end)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that doesn't mean that her interview doesn't matter though or that people shouldn't watch it, nor does it make it okay for you to keep spamming the same point in this thread just to derail it

So people giving interviews with bigots like Megyn Kelly isn't in any way problematic?

I said in other threads that this is a battle in the court of public opinion, and it's important for Reade to get her message across to Democrats. Choosing to sit down with a bigot like Megyn Kelly is having the exact opposite reaction to getting the message out to Democrats.

Okay, it was a bad decision. But does that invalidate a rape? Or any kind of sexual harassment/assault?

I didn't say this invalidates her story. I said if Reade wants to get her message out to Democrats, then sitting down with Megyn Kelly does the exact opposite of that.

Again. this has what to do with my post? I was clearly responding to a specific post that claimed people were downplaying Kelly's racism and bigoted history.

People are telling others to watch a Megyn Kelly interview. There's links to her interview on Youtube in this thread (and links to not Youtube).

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
So people giving interviews with bigots like Megyn Kelly isn't in any way problematic?

I said in other threads that this is a battle in the court of public opinion, and it's important for Reade to get her message across to Democrats. Choosing to sit down with a bigot like Megyn Kelly is having the exact opposite reaction to getting the message out to Democrats.
I'm not going to judge a rape victim for who she felt comfortable being interviewed by. Now again, did you watch the interview? Cause if not, would you kindly fuck off out of this thread and stop derailing

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I am sure people would be dismissing this interview if it had been on Fox too, let's not pretend otherwise.

That said it is also important to note that the producer of the MK interview is McHugh

Imo, Kelly being a right wing extremist, racist and longtime Fox News propagandist would mean that she's not a great choice. I would have liked to have seen Jodi Kantor or Megan Twohey do the interview after their Pulitzer winning work with MeToo.
I am quoting myself from earlier in the thread. The MK team has legitimate metoo people With relevant experience on it.
I have little doubt that this kind of interview is an immensely stressful situation for the victim. Personal rapport and feeling comfortable seem paramount and who are we to judge who Tara Reade feels comfortable talking with.

Is MK a problematic choice? No doubt. But it's what we have to work with. Let's not second guess the victim for the difficult choices she has to make.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Derogatory remarks towards a sexual assault victim
Okay, it was a bad decision. But does that invalidate a rape? Or any kind of sexual harassment/assault?

Speaks to it being a political move, rather than any other motive in my mind, that is pertinent to the discussion.

Personally I'm not swayed by her, and appeals to emotion don't change that, I think she suffered a borderline harrassment work environment, possibly even from Biden himself, I think she has expanded on that with a falsehood allegation of assault in recent times when it became obvious that alone wasn't enough to bring down Biden politically. So yes, the political choice of a right-wing nazi hack like Megyn Kelly is important, it, for me, speaks to her true motives. (And yes, I'm aware that that position requires me to consider her to be lying).

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It took her weeks for her story to get properly reported by big news outlets just from the initial story and we have no way to know definitively how long it took to arrange that so the idea that it took months is definitely not something you should so easily claim isn't true

Weeks is not long enough to report on an accussation like hers. She was giving journalists new witnesses to interview a month after the Katie Halper appearance. Taking time to investigate a story is not a tell-tale sign of bad intentions.

Deleted member 22901

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Speaks to it being a political move, rather than any other motive in my mind, that is pertinent to the discussion.

Personally I'm not swayed by her, and appeals to emotion don't change that, I think she suffered a borderline harrassment work environment, possibly even from Biden himself, I think she has expanded on that with a falsehood allegation of assault in recent times when it became obvious that alone wasn't enough to bring down Biden politically. So yes, the political choice of a right-wing nazi hack like Megyn Kelly is important, it, for me, speaks to her true motives. (And yes, I'm calling her a liar).
this is a fucking disgusting post. i doubt there would be any amount of evidence that would ever make you believe her, no matter how open minded you claim to be. you're vile.

lmao holy shit you edited it. coward.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Weeks is not long enough to report on an accussation like hers. She was giving journalists new witnesses to interview a month after the Katie Halper appearance. Taking time to investigate a story is not a tell-tale sign of bad intentions.
I'm talking about the overall timeline for her story to be told, your view isn't inherently incompatible with my point. My point is it took 3 weeks just from when we first became aware of this, but that obviously it would have also taken time to get it out at all as well. Which means someone claiming its not true that it took her months to get her story told which is what she actually said in the interview in regards to what they were saying, that is simply not something we can say truthfully. The only one who knows for sure how long it took is her
this is a fucking disgusting post. i doubt there would be any amount of evidence that would ever make you believe her, no matter how open minded you claim to be. you're vile.

lmao holy shit you edited it. coward.
thought he was being slick with that edit, the slimy fuck

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said, if Reade wants to get her message out to Democrats, sitting down with Megyn Kelly does the exact opposite of that. I didn't say this invalidates her story.
Then let's discuss her story! People talking to you are not defending MK. We all would love to see this on other platforms. But there's not much more to be said about that topic.

Reade didn't say she wants to reach Democrats. In this interview, she mentioned she doesn't care if people believe her or not. She believes a vote is a very personal decision, and that people don't have to dismiss her to vote for Biden. She wants him to step down and be held accountable, but knows he won't.

I'll say this again: this goes beyond elections. This is about a working woman who was abused by a man in power. He's the candidate against Trump, but we can't create more obstacles because of that. What message are we telling victims who want to speak up in the future?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
the pearl clutching in this thread over who Tara Reade decided to do her on-camera interview with is soul crushingly pathetic

everybody knows Megyn Kelly is a terrible person, but my god, some of you seriously refuse to just give space for this woman's story to shine through, to wrestle with the uncomfortable and depressing and sometimes inspiring things she has to say

call Kelly out, make a statement of discomfort with Tara Reade's choice to speak to her, but how about centering and empathizing with the victim here and what SHE'S had to go through throughout all this, instead of endlessly justifying why the Megyn Kelly factor is the deadly important point we all need to be focusing on right now

we're mature enough to do that, right? to feel bad that shitstain media figure #11031488 is exploiting this for their personal gain, but not miss the forest for the trees?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and listened to at least the first half of the interview. I do think that people should take her words into consideration when evaluating her credibility and whether or not they think this particular accusation actually happened, so on that basis I would encourage everyone to listen to the interview. At the same time, it's silly to not expect people to *also* take her choice of venue as yet another factor in their own evaluation of her credibility. When you say Megyn Kelly, for a lot of people (in particular LGBTQ and minorities), you might as well be saying Jacob Wohl.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Personally I'm not swayed by her, and appeals to emotion don't change that, I think she suffered a borderline harrassment work environment, possibly even from Biden himself, I think she has expanded on that with a falsehood allegation of assault in recent times when it became obvious that alone wasn't enough to bring down Biden politically. So yes, the political choice of a right-wing nazi hack like Megyn Kelly is important, it, for me, speaks to her true motives. (And yes, I'm aware that that position requires me to consider her to be lying).
She's been very clear that she doesn't want to change anyone's mind on voting. Reliving trauma is incredibly painful, and you thinking that's simply "appealing to emotion" speaks volumes. No matter what happens moving forward, her life is already destroyed.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018

Personally I'm not swayed by her, and appeals to emotion don't change that, I think she suffered a borderline harrassment work environment, possibly even from Biden himself, I think she has expanded on that with a falsehood allegation of assault in recent times when it became obvious that alone wasn't enough to bring down Biden politically. So yes, the political choice of a right-wing nazi hack like Megyn Kelly is important, it, for me, speaks to her true motives. (And yes, I'm calling her a liar).
So, if I'm getting this right, your point is that Tara is lying about the assault, not the rape, and is doing this on Meghan Kelly because the reason she's lying is political. You're telling me that a man in an immense position of power harassing a woman is totally expected but assault? no way, implausible. You're telling me that Tara Reade, a warren supporter, is trying to help Donald Trump and the right. You're telling Tara Reade is doing this for political ends, the Tara Reade who said in this interview that her credibility shouldn't have to influence anyone vote.

If we follow your logic then Ford must be lying to, right? I mean, she's actual ideologically opposed to Kavanaugh, right? She had as much, less actually, evidence against Kavanaugh as Tara. Does that mean we shouldn't believe her? Of course not. But conservatives thought that. They thought that because they wanted a political goal, blinded by ideology. Can we please be better than conservatives. we have to be.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
She's been very clear that she doesn't want to change anyone's mind on voting. Reliving trauma is incredibly painful, and you thinking that's simply "appealing to emotion" speaks volumes. No matter what happens moving forward, her life issue already destroyed.

The appeals to emotion were from other posters earlier in the thread, not Tara Reade