• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

#TheMetallicaBlacklist is an unprecedented 50+ artists spanning an unbelievably vast range of genres, generations, continents, and more, each contributing a unique interpretation of their favorite Black Album cut.

Available on digital & streaming on September 10th and on vinyl & CD on October 1st, all profits will be donated to charities of each contributing artist's choice along with Metallica's own foundation, All Within My Hands.

Tracklist:
ALESSIA CARA & THE WARNING / ENTER SANDMAN

MAC DEMARCO / ENTER SANDMAN

GHOST / ENTER SANDMAN

JUANES / ENTER SANDMAN

RINA SAWAYAMA / ENTER SANDMAN

WEEZER / ENTER SANDMAN

SAM FENDER / SAD BUT TRUE (LIVE)

JASON ISBELL AND THE 400 UNIT / SAD BUT TRUE

MEXICAN INSTITUTE OF SOUND FEAT. LA PERLA & GERA MX / SAD BUT TRUE

ROYAL BLOOD / SAD BUT TRUE

ST. VINCENT / SAD BUT TRUE

WHITE REAPER / SAD BUT TRUE

YB / SAD BUT TRUE

BIFFY CLYRO / HOLIER THAN THOU

THE CHATS / HOLIER THAN THOU

OFF! / HOLIER THAN THOU

PUP / HOLIER THAN THOU

COREY TAYLOR / HOLIER THAN THOU

CAGE THE ELEPHANT / THE UNFORGIVEN

VISHAL DADLANI, DIVINE, SHOR POLICE / THE UNFORGIVEN

DIET CIG / THE UNFORGIVEN

FLATBUSH ZOMBIES FEAT. DJ SCRATCH / THE UNFORGIVEN

HA*ASH / THE UNFORGIVEN

JOSÉ MADERO / THE UNFORGIVEN

MOSES SUMNEY / THE UNFORGIVEN

J BALVIN / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

CHASE & STATUS FEAT. BACKROAD GEE / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

THE NEPTUNES / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

JON PARDI / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

SEBASTIAN / DON'T TREAD ON ELSE MATTERS

PORTUGAL. THE MAN FEAT. AARON BEAM / DON'T TREAD ON ME

VOLBEAT / DON'T TREAD ON ME

THE HU / THROUGH THE NEVER

TOMI OWÓ / THROUGH THE NEVER

PHOEBE BRIDGERS / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MILEY CYRUS FEAT. WATT, ELTON JOHN, YO-YO MA, ROBERT TRUJILLO, CHAD SMITH / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

DAVE GAHAN / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MICKEY GUYTON / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

DERMOT KENNEDY / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MON LAFERTE / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

IGOR LEVIT / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MY MORNING JACKET / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

PG ROXETTE / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

DARIUS RUCKER / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

CHRIS STAPLETON / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

TRESOR / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GOODNIGHT, TEXAS / OF WOLF AND MAN

IDLES / THE GOD THAT FAILED

IMELDA MAY / THE GOD THAT FAILED

CHERRY GLAZERR / MY FRIEND OF MISERY

IZÏA / MY FRIEND OF MISERY

KAMASI WASHINGTON / MY FRIEND OF MISERY

RODRIGO Y GABRIELA / THE STRUGGLE WITHIN

Some of those artists are certainly.. inspired. But a fun idea and it's all going to charity so, I'm likely picking it up.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This looks fun; I wonder what Moses Sumney is going to cover. Also Flatbush Zombies as a hip-hop group are pretty experimental, hopefully enough to tackle a rap-rock angle that will actually be interesting, lol.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's quite the variety of artists. Ghost covering Enter Sandman is what I'm most interested in, but I really want to hear all the other covers as well.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Some of those artists are certainly.. inspired. But a fun idea and it's all going to charity so, I'm likely picking it up.

I think it's cool. It shows the influence Metallica has had. Almost no one hasn't heard enter sandman or nothing else matters. But it also gives new exposure to some of these artists that might otherwise have gotten it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Elton John? Yo-Yo MA?

Whenever I hear covers, it usually just makes me want to hear the original. However there are so many variations in this that I will definitely give it a listen.

The Black album is not my favorite of theirs but it is the defining seminal moment in their career and the entire album is super good from start to finish.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
In for the Royal Blood cover. Not necessarily excited for the rest, but will definitely give them a listen at some point.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Album isn't my favorite Metallica album, so a remastered version is probably an easy pass. But that cover album is super intriguing, I might have to check that out just to see what all these artists did with these songs.

Mar 21, 2018
Also, the Black album doesn't need a remaster. It's always been regarded as one of the best sounding albums ever made. Hell, I'm pretty sure it won a Grammy for that reason. The dynamic range, nuance and overall three-dimensionality of the original recording puts most album (modern or otherwise) to shame. Just play it on a decent stereo.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
That's quite the variety of artists. Ghost covering Enter Sandman is what I'm most interested in, but I really want to hear all the other covers as well.

Since "Ghost" is technically one person, I'd expect it to sound a lot like the Enter Sandman cover they already did:

I really liked it when it first came out and really like it still, I'd expect the recorded version to be similar.

Also, the Black album doesn't need a remaster. It's always been regarded as one of the best sounding albums ever made. Hell, I'm pretty sure it won a Grammy for that reason. The dynamic range, nuance and overall three-dimensionality of the original recording puts most album (modern or otherwise) to shame. Just play it on a decent stereo.

As awesome as the Black Album was, it doesn't sound as good as a lot of modern metal (that isn't sound crushed) on modern sound systems. The volume is also a hair too low (for my tastes) in comparison to other music on streaming services.

It means you have to increase the volume 5-10% to get the same volume level on something like Enter Sandman if it's mixed in with other stuff.

Other bands and albums (some modern) have this problem too, but I've always noticed it the most with the Black Album.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Juanes covering Enter Sandman?! Wut? I know he was in a metal band before he blew up and went solo. I'm sure it will be interesting. But I know Metallica was a huge influence on him.

Miley Cyrus with Yo Yo Ma and Elton John is even more baffling. But I'm curious. And it's cool they got Rodrigo and Gabriela.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Not sure what y'all are talking about. There are some legitimately huge names on here.

Tracklist:
ALESSIA CARA & THE WARNING / ENTER SANDMAN

MAC DEMARCO / ENTER SANDMAN

GHOST / ENTER SANDMAN

JUANES / ENTER SANDMAN

RINA SAWAYAMA / ENTER SANDMAN

WEEZER / ENTER SANDMAN

SAM FENDER / SAD BUT TRUE (LIVE)

JASON ISBELL AND THE 400 UNIT / SAD BUT TRUE

MEXICAN INSTITUTE OF SOUND FEAT. LA PERLA & GERA MX / SAD BUT TRUE

ROYAL BLOOD / SAD BUT TRUE

ST. VINCENT / SAD BUT TRUE

WHITE REAPER / SAD BUT TRUE

YB / SAD BUT TRUE

BIFFY CLYRO / HOLIER THAN THOU

THE CHATS / HOLIER THAN THOU

OFF! / HOLIER THAN THOU

PUP / HOLIER THAN THOU

COREY TAYLOR / HOLIER THAN THOU

CAGE THE ELEPHANT / THE UNFORGIVEN

VISHAL DADLANI, DIVINE, SHOR POLICE / THE UNFORGIVEN

DIET CIG / THE UNFORGIVEN

FLATBUSH ZOMBIES FEAT. DJ SCRATCH / THE UNFORGIVEN

HA*ASH / THE UNFORGIVEN

JOSÉ MADERO / THE UNFORGIVEN

MOSES SUMNEY / THE UNFORGIVEN

J BALVIN / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

CHASE & STATUS FEAT. BACKROAD GEE / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

THE NEPTUNES / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

JON PARDI / WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

SEBASTIAN / DON'T TREAD ON ELSE MATTERS

PORTUGAL. THE MAN FEAT. AARON BEAM / DON'T TREAD ON ME

VOLBEAT / DON'T TREAD ON ME

THE HU / THROUGH THE NEVER

TOMI OWÓ / THROUGH THE NEVER

PHOEBE BRIDGERS / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MILEY CYRUS FEAT. WATT, ELTON JOHN, YO-YO MA, ROBERT TRUJILLO, CHAD SMITH / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

DAVE GAHAN / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MICKEY GUYTON / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

DERMOT KENNEDY / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MON LAFERTE / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

IGOR LEVIT / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

MY MORNING JACKET / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

PG ROXETTE / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

DARIUS RUCKER / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

CHRIS STAPLETON / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

TRESOR / NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GOODNIGHT, TEXAS / OF WOLF AND MAN

IDLES / THE GOD THAT FAILED

IMELDA MAY / THE GOD THAT FAILED

CHERRY GLAZERR / MY FRIEND OF MISERY

IZÏA / MY FRIEND OF MISERY

KAMASI WASHINGTON / MY FRIEND OF MISERY

RODRIGO Y GABRIELA / THE STRUGGLE WITHIN

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
thats a nice idea and hopefully its profitable, but that's a who's who of who? and who?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Portugal the Man was going through a period where they were opening all their shows like this (I think), and it's pretty epic:

SpitfireKit

Oct 27, 2017
A little sad DragonForce didn't get their St. Anger cover in on this but it might have been too tongue in cheek.
#TheMetallicaBlacklist is an unprecedented 50+ artists spanning an unbelievably vast range of genres, generations, continents, and more, each contributing a unique interpretation of their favorite Black Album cut.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Mon Laferte, Juanes and J Balvin?

Mac Demarco, The Hu, Elthon John?

I'm absolutely listening to this whole thing

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
Juanes covering Enter Sandman?! Wut? I know he was in a metal band before he blew up and went solo. I'm sure it will be interesting. But I know Metallica was a huge influence on him.

Miley Cyrus with Yo Yo Ma and Elton John is even more baffling. But I'm curious. And it's cool they got Rodrigo and Gabriela.
Mon Laferte, Juanes and J Balvin?

Mac Demarco, The Hu, Elthon John?

the Juanes and Miley songs are out there already…saw them on Apple Music on this album (all other songs not yet available)

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I love Nothing Else Matters, but did it really need 12 covers? Of Wolf and Man only got 1.

That complaint aside, I'm in. A great number of these have huge potential.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
So it's just a variety of musicians covering the same six to eight songs. I only recognize Corey Taylor (who I think is a great singer), Ghost, The Neptunes, Weezer, Miley Cyrus and Elton John from that list. Only songs I'm interested in hearing are the Corey Taylor, Ghost and Weezer songs.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This is such a diverse lineup of artists, definitely excited for this. And it's for charity, so even if it's half sucky there's no real negatives.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This will be a good opportunity for people to diversify their musical tastes a little bit

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Juanes and Ghost covering the same song is exciting as hell.
RODRIGO & GABRIELA? OH SHIT

Edit: The Juanes track is already up on Apple Music. It tries to stick to the classic way too much when I KNOW Juanes could have gone in harder.
Still got the classic "twang" sound from his stuff.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty weird thing with them limiting the artists to just this album. But, whatever, as said, it's for charity.

Already put down my money for the deluxe black album box set.