• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Hey alright.

I don't really have a strong opinion about Iron Maiden and solo Bruce Dickinson. They're both fine but I'm a little ashamed to admit I don't care about/listen to either enough to really have a debate about them.

Anyway, this three day weekend I went on two metal binges: one on 'war metal' which I typically don't like, but a recent Sri Lankan band called Genocide Shrines has been a regular feature of my playlists for the past few years and I finally went back to listen to some classics of the genre.

View: https://youtu.be/Z2W6myQfcPQ

Support the Sri Lankan economy.

The other binge involved me just digging around old Danish metal label releases on Metal Archives.

View: https://youtu.be/FdaDfbNmj7Y

Cool old album.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there was a while where every week brought a new band with the word Bestial in their name. They're cool, but as someone who's never been into the "Bestial" genre they're basically all the same in my mind. I'll give that Bestial Raids an album a listen though, now that I seem to be more accepting of primitivity in my old age.

(Putting "Bestial" into MA gets you 123 unique bands.)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like there was a while where every week brought a new band with the word Bestial in their name. They're cool, but as someone who's never been into the "Bestial" genre they're basically all the same in my mind. I'll give that Bestial Raids an album a listen though, now that I seem to be more accepting of primitivity in my old age.

(Putting "Bestial" into MA gets you 123 unique bands.)
It's all war metal stuff. I'm not a fan personally, it's all very samey and boring 🤷‍♀️

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Archives and Heavy Metal Rarities were/are most most visited sites without question, often times in that order

Oct 30, 2017
I've been battling with a realization that I had this past weekend. I need to be convinced that either I'm reading too much into it or that I'm onto something.

I believe "A Forest" by The Cure is the primordial godfather of atmospheric black metal. Listen to the song and then read my elementary explanation as to why I think this.

www.youtube.com

A Forest (Remastered Version)

Provided to YouTube by Rhino/ElektraA Forest (Remastered Version) · The CureSeventeen Seconds℗ 1986 Elektra/Asylum Records for the United States and WEA Inte...

Now I'm not suggesting that "A Forest" is a 1:1 match with modern atmospheric black metal because it is definitely not. However, it contains so many aspects of ABM that it is hard to ignore. Just a few similarities:

1. Heavy use of ambience/dreamy textures/synths
2. Long periods of just instrumental music playing
3. Lyrical content involves nature, loss, and existential crises/dread
4. Heavy use of multi-track and layering
5. Repetitive riffs

What is missing from "A Forest":
1. Tremolo picking
2. Heavy distortion with down-tuned guitars
3. BM-style vocals

The song was produced in 1979 and released in 1980. Black metal itself wouldn't come to fruition until the early to mid-1980s and atmospheric or ambient black metal wouldn't become a subgenre until much later. Now, I don't think you'll find a single BM band, ambient or otherwise, who cite The Cure as an influence but "A Forest" feels like it shares DNA with modern ABM. Regardless, "A Forest" just feels like a groundbreaking single that really forged a new path during the New Wave fad. It's influences I feel stretch far beyond goth rock.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
I've been battling with a realization that I had this past weekend. I need to be convinced that either I'm reading too much into it or that I'm onto something.

I believe "A Forest" by The Cure is the primordial godfather of atmospheric black metal. Listen to the song and then read my elementary explanation as to why I think this.

www.youtube.com

A Forest (Remastered Version)

Provided to YouTube by Rhino/ElektraA Forest (Remastered Version) · The CureSeventeen Seconds℗ 1986 Elektra/Asylum Records for the United States and WEA Inte...

Now I'm not suggesting that "A Forest" is a 1:1 match with modern atmospheric black metal because it is definitely not. However, it contains so many aspects of ABM that it is hard to ignore. Just a few similarities:

1. Heavy use of ambience/dreamy textures/synths
2. Long periods of just instrumental music playing
3. Lyrical content involves nature, loss, and existential crises/dread
4. Heavy use of multi-track and layering
5. Repetitive riffs

What is missing from "A Forest":
1. Tremolo picking
2. Heavy distortion with down-tuned guitars
3. BM-style vocals

The song was produced in 1979 and released in 1980. Black metal itself wouldn't come to fruition until the early to mid-1980s and atmospheric or ambient black metal wouldn't become a subgenre until much later. Now, I don't think you'll find a single BM band, ambient or otherwise, who cite The Cure as an influence but "A Forest" feels like it shares DNA with modern ABM. Regardless, "A Forest" just feels like a groundbreaking single that really forged a new path during the New Wave fad. It's influences I feel stretch far beyond goth rock.

www.youtube.com

Behemoth - A Forest feat. Niklas Kvarforth (Official Video)

The new EP "A Forest" available May 29th, 2020. Pre-order now from https://behemoth.lnk.to/AForestDirector & Producer: CLAUDIO MARINOSite: http://claudiomari...

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
It's been 7 long years, but for those of us who like a little misandry with their OSDM, the debut full length from Castrator finally drops this Friday. The singles have been great; can't wait to hear the whole thing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZekZonSsTbQ

This is great! The cover is great too

1045223.jpg

They have a tribute to Malala too, awesome:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This band wasn't on my radar, so thanks for mentioning them!

Speaking of badass women in metal, check out Slave to Sirens. They are a queer all-female metal bands from Lebanon, and have a documentary about them, I'll be watching it soon at Fantasia Festival

fantasiafestival.com

Fantasia Festival | Sirens

This intimate documentary follows Slave to Sirens, the Middle East’s first all-female metal band, as they strive for success and empowerment.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZDMqq5CRkc

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
It's been 7 long years, but for those of us who like a little misandry with their OSDM, the debut full length from Castrator finally drops this Friday. The singles have been great; can't wait to hear the whole thing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZekZonSsTbQ

might have to come around on these vox, but cool stuff. Looking into this band, I see that scene OG Robin Mazen plays with them. She was a contributor on the Derkéta LP, In Death We Meet which was a crushing death/doom effort. Killer all female OSDM!

View: https://derketa.bandcamp.com/album/in-death-we-meet-remix-with-bonus-tracks

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Derkéta is the only doom/death album I actually really enjoy. For the most part this genre kinda bores me, but Derkéta is so fucking good.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Speaking of badass women in metal, check out Slave to Sirens. They are a queer all-female metal bands from Lebanon, and have a documentary about them, I'll be watching it soon at Fantasia Festival

fantasiafestival.com

Fantasia Festival | Sirens

This intimate documentary follows Slave to Sirens, the Middle East’s first all-female metal band, as they strive for success and empowerment.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZDMqq5CRkc

Thanks for the rec. Liking this a lot, although looking at that cover (well executed as it is) makes my eyes water.
might have to come around on these vox, but cool stuff. Looking into this band, I see that scene OG Robin Mazen plays with them. She was a contributor on the Derkéta LP, In Death We Meet which was a crushing death/doom effort. Killer all female OSDM!

View: https://derketa.bandcamp.com/album/in-death-we-meet-remix-with-bonus-tracks

Their previous EP has a more trad DM vocal approach; it's a hell of a performance, but I think the current vocalist is much more versatile.

Will check it out - been a while since I've indulged in some quality death/doom.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
www.youtube.com

Death Metal Maniac

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesDeath Metal Maniac · CianideHell's Rebirth℗ 2008 Displeased RecordsReleased on: 2008-10-24Auto-generated by You...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqe1jcqduL0

anyone going to wacken here? I'm going, still got my tickets for 2020. would be cool to meet up if any of you are there. me and my friends have a huge camp, power generators etc too, and tons of beer from our local brewery in Germany.

can't wait to see Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, and At The Gates

i'll be there from 1 August to 7 August

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
anyone going to wacken here? I'm going, still got my tickets for 2020. would be cool to meet up if any of you are there. me and my friends have a huge camp, power generators etc too, and tons of beer from our local brewery in Germany.

can't wait to see Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, and At The Gates

i'll be there from 1 August to 7 August
Yep, but arriving wednesday afternoon. If I miss Vulture I am going to be pissed.
I go offline at fests so it's unlikely we'd hookup even if we plan.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
For solo first album this is good stuff. The prog-power tracks were the highlight for myself.
Besides the obvious lack of fleshed out professional mixing the only issues were that on a few tracks you forced too many words in and track 4 just has too many styles clashing.
Congrats on pushing through and finishing it. Was worth the effort.

Thank you for taking the time and for the feedback!

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Veldes is dead.

From his Facebook:
!!!IMPORTANT NEWS!!!
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too." The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed.
I'm letting you know I'll be putting down to rest Veldes after 10 years and creating something new and better this time with the name Ueldes which I've been planning to use since the release of Flameless in 2019. The name Ueldes is actually the 1st mentioning in 1004 of the place and area where I come from (Bled, Slovenia) and then a few years later, in 1011, it was changed to Veldes.
Anyway, through these years of Veldes, quite many negative emotions (especially sadness) were "put" into this project and I was caught in them and didn't even realize I was feeding the wrong wolf all this time. 3 years ago I experienced something that I "got" the enlightenment I need to change the view in my music too, especially in the lyrical themes. I'm not saying I stopped writing about these emotions and that I "turned them off" because you can't but at least I'm trying to do better, not to dwell on the sorrow and despair too long but to make something out of it, in an uplifting sense and never stop hoping and I want the same for YOU, so you may find some solace and a spark of light within my music even though there's sometimes a path of thorns ahead of us all!
And because of that I must leave the past behind and plant a new tree, so I kindly ask of you to follow my journey also in the future under the name of Ueldes. The debut album Foreverer is coming out soon and it's a glorious musical continuation of Veldes! And thank you again so much for all the support you have showed in these 10 years! [emphasis mine]

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Heathen added some shows in September with Warbringer (gross). Have not seen them since the Death Angel album release show a few years back. Excited

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Best metal albums with the worst covers?

I still can't decide if the artwork for Monstrosity's Millennium is a thing of terrible beauty or just plain terrible. Trivia: the weird abominations which adorn Maiden's Dance of Death cover were hatched from these eggs.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I love how dumb these covers are:

Ni0xMTA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

youtu.be

Archagathus - Canadian Horse (Full Album)

Artist: ArchagathusAlbum: Canadian HorseGenre: Mincecore/Grindcore© Archagathus

MzAtNjc3MS5qcGVn.jpeg

youtu.be

LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY - Horrific Compositions of Decomposition (2021)

LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY – „Horrific Compositions of Decomposition“Band: LAST DAYS OF HUMANITYAlbum: Horrific Compositions of DecompositionGenre: GoregrindOrig...

This one is just dumb.

Oct 27, 2017
uqN8TNS.png

Obviously some skill went into this, but I've always found it hilarious that this band waited til their third album to bust out that sick drawing they worked on every day during math class back in high school.

Speaking of hand-drawn album covers, this one is also a classic:

1eY9JJX.png