• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That song just confirms my lack of overall interest in their new material.

Yep. The comments section and even some on the other thread seem to think it sounds like their "old stuff", but aside from like maybe two riffs, I'm not hearing it. I think the music sounds OK at least, in a Megadeth meets Voivod kind of way, but the lyrics and delivery of them are typical post-Cryptic Writings suckage.

I'll probably end up getting it at some point, but then it will likely be yet another one of those albums that will get listened to about a tenth as much as their '85 through '92 output.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There are just too many bands in the world worth listening to for me to keep giving chances to bands I haven't liked in 20 years. A new Megadeth release hasn't meant anything to me in a long time. It elicits precisely zero emotional response in me.

Like I enjoy new King Diamond releases. I listened to The Puppet Master a lot when it came out, but despite listening to King Diamond with an extremely high frequency I never go back to that album over the classics and the dozen new albums that I try out every weekend.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Megadeth join Exodus bands I could not care less about. Exodus due to Zetro to being a complete stain both on/off stage and the band existing is preventing Lee Altus from writing crazy good shit for Heathen

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Bind Guardian's live from Hellfest. Old album songs only. Me happy.

And actually the full Somewhere Far Beyond album.

Last edited:

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Hellfest was as awesome as you'd expect. Extremely well managed but just like Wacken, way too many people as the day goes on.
So tempted to be a gatekeeper about them claiming it's the largest metal fest in europe. Sooo tempted.

Also, to any Frenchies reading, what the fuck is up with 60 year old french women. One was standing behind me and just pinched me. Another dude said one walked up to him, kicked him then ran off.

Thursday,

Phil Campbell & the Bastard Sons - so bad
Lili Refrain
The Ruins of Beverast - Awesome
Tribulation - As tedious live as they are on record.
Insomnium
Helloween
Septicflesh
Therion - Awesome

Friday,
Neige Morte
Yarotz
Portrayal of Guilt
Crisix - Drummer caught covid so they had a few guests and fucked about. Still a cool set.
Gaerea - Much better in a smaller venue. They only generated the same energy when the singer stopped playing the guitar and roamed about.
Skeletal Remains
Witchery
Dragonforce - Christ they've fallen so far.
Insahn - Fucking awesome.
Gamabomb/Kreator - Rested outside whilst both were playing.
Moonspell - Fucking awesome.
Obscura - Awesome.

The heavens opened and started pissing it down endlessly during Moonspell. After having a tinkle I turned around as Marduk started and just couldn't be arsed seeing them again so I went back to the tent to rest for NIN and Megadeth... fell asleep and only woke up when Megadeth had 30 mins to play and my bowels needed to be immediately evacuated so I missed both. *insert the sound my arse made*

Saturday,
Dropdead Chaos
Les Chants De Nihil - Greatest band ever since they weren't french nu-metal.
Nero Di Marte
Autarkh
Gloryhammer - Wouldn't directly pay to see due to some of them being twats (same with MGLA), so a fest freebie. New singer isn't too bad.
Sorcerer
Arcturus
Epica
Igorrr - Christ the french love him. The only time I couldn't get into the stage before they started. Took 2/3rds of the show to shuffle a third of the way towards the stage. Good stuff but I couldn't see anything that was happening.
Draconian - Fucking awesome. The original singer joined them on stage. Totes awesome.
Nightwish
Conviction
Conjurer - Second best performance of the fest. They slay so hard live. Must watch.

Sunday,
High Command - Awesome
Sordide
Carnation - Awesome
Nytt Land
Demilich - Antti, a person that intentionally sells colourful death metal shirts looked at me like I was a psychopath for wearing the orange Kanonenfieber shirt. I won. And they were awesome.
Svart Crown
Blood Incantation - Awesome
Midnight
Vltimas - terrible
Cult of Fire - Best experience of the show by far. An absolute must watch if you get a chance.
Archgoat
Destruction
MGLA
Pentagram - Third best of the show. So much fun.
Mercyful Fate
Carcass - Went so hard the new live guitarist gave me the side eye. Awesome.
Metallica - Caught the second half. Christ they played poorly, especially Hammett. But Metallica are Metallica so it was fun.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Jamey Jasta spent money to buy the name rights to the Milwaukee Metalfest, for some reason...

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking through the list of Lost Episode and Leviathan Records releases from the 90s this weekend (which is a thing I assume other people also do in their free time...) and came across an album I feel like I haven't though of in years:

Bring back low quality sassy keyboards in black metal

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Went to Celestial Sanctuary/Cryptic Shift/Gatecreeper last night.

Gatecreeper were totes awesome. The room got sweaty very fast.
Cryptic Shift were better than when I saw them last year. They waited to play the ambient atmospheric stuff until the middle and end of their set instead of starting with it and sucking the life out of the room.
Celestial Sanctuary were decent but just another DM band.

RickPresk

May 15, 2018
Went to Celestial Sanctuary/Cryptic Shift/Gatecreeper last night.

Gatecreeper were totes awesome. The room got sweaty very fast.
Cryptic Shift were better than when I saw them last year. They waited to play the ambient atmospheric stuff until the middle and end of their set instead of starting with it and sucking the life out of the room.
Celestial Sanctuary were decent but just another DM band.
Glad it was good, I was supposed to go last night but am on the covid recovery road :(

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/metal_archives/status/1547599912912637952

Posted on Facebook:
20 years!

That's how long this site has been around. Do you feel old yet? Or are you among those of our users who were not even born then?
In early July of 2002, HellBlazer and I put this site online on the public Internet, but almost no one knew about it yet. With the help of a few friends (and some of their own friends), we went about to test the platform and started adding data, with the first band page being Amorphis, added on July 7th. Why Amorphis, we are often asked? I have no idea. I was probably listening to Elegy at the time or something. Or I looked around and saw an Amorphis CD lying around. Or maybe not, I honestly can't remember!

Then, on July 14th we bought the metal-archives.com domain name. Yes that's right, in the earliest, pre-launch days, the site ran on a... Tripod.co.uk URL, seeing as it was one of the rare web hosts that offered free PHP/MySQL hosting at the time. And a few days later - band addition records suggests this would be July 17th 2002 - one of our staff members decided to plug the site on a (sadly now defunct) public metal forum, and thus opened the floodgates. The contributions came pouring in quickly, the early "big push" needed towards building what quickly became the definitive heavy metal database on the Internet.

Never would I have imagined, two decades ago, that one day we would be hosting a staggering ~160k bands, or that there were even that many metal bands in existence. HellBlazer and I are constantly awed and humbled by the wealth of knowledge and information our community has gathered over the years, not to mention the wonderful attention to detail and work ethic of our tireless contributors and staff members. We could not have done it without you all, and we sincerely thank everyone who has contributed to this site, both in big and small ways.

Now, the 20 year anniversary of Metal Archiving ought to be celebrated and commemorated in some ways, and we do have some plans for that, which we will disclose shortly. Stay tuned…

For our users old and new, feel free to share your memories, anecdotes, thoughts, or other comments here or in this thread:
https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135998
Here's to, I hope, several more decades!

M-A has now officially been part of my life for a longer time than it hasn't

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
does a resource as complete as M-A even exist for any other genre? Massive congrats to Morrigan and company.