• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
Any Draconian fans in here? I discovered the band earlier this week and have been listening to them non stop since.
Death, Come Near Me and Pale Tortured Blue are my favorite songs for the moment.
Going to listen to their newest album, Under a Godless Veil, which is apparently mellower according to the reviews I've read.

Oct 27, 2017

I've been racking my brain over the past few months trying to remember an old death metal 45 I picked up back in middle school and I finally rediscovered it today. It's nothing special, but I'm posting a track from it here to make the search feel worthwhile.

In more recent music, I just saw this posted over on /r/metal FFO: Paradise Lost/My Dying Bride and I'm really feeling it:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could get into 'mainstream' power metal (as opposed to bands like Manilla Road; is European power metal the term?) because there always seems to be an abundance of it that fans of the genre are crazy about, but I haven't cared about any band like that since Kleid and Harpen left Elvenking.

...which was over 15 years ago now.

8d6.gif

Really takes me back.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been listening to a lot of Immortal today and was reminded of this legendary Abbath guitar lesson that every aspiring artist should watch.

iFSur9x.jpg

I want an Immortal cake

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Got a Ticketmaster email saying the Judas Priest show is postponed. I thought it was gonna be some covid shenanigans (which would be weird since our lockdown is ended here) but it's unrelated, Richie is unwell :(

unknown.png

Hope he's OK and recovers soon

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
Video for the 3rd single from the upcoming Archspire album was released today. This album is going to be monstrous.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Video for the 3rd single from the upcoming Archspire album was released today. This album is going to be monstrous.

I wish I liked their music more. Like, I love the novelty/skill of it, but at a certain point it feels like listening to a really complicated yo yo trick. I know with their last album, I couldn't tell any of the songs apart. This one isn't having that problem as much, but it still feels like it'll be an album that'll get kind of tiring to listen to by the end. Which sucks because their guitar tone is sick, and Olli is an absolute fucking beast of a frontman.

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
I wish I liked their music more. Like, I love the novelty/skill of it, but at a certain point it feels like listening to a really complicated yo yo trick. I know with their last album, I couldn't tell any of the songs apart. This one isn't having that problem as much, but it still feels like it'll be an album that'll get kind of tiring to listen to by the end. Which sucks because their guitar tone is sick, and Olli is an absolute fucking beast of a frontman.

I can get that. I thought the songwriting was much improved on the last record (Relentless Mutation), and I feel like the three singles they've released thus far from "Bleed the Future" have all been distinct, memorable, and contained good hooks. But you can also definitely pick out the tropes they use in each song, as well.

May 10, 2021
Germany
Newest Hypocrisy song is not just pretty boring and irrelevant it's also top tier conspiracy stupidity.

Well, that's nothing new the with their previous stuff like aliens and NWO, but in the past I could enjoy stuff like "The pyramids were build as beacons for the space ships of alien", "Maya temples", Area 52 etc. on an trashy/entertaining level.

But the newest song is just "The evil government wants to control us until we are dead" and "chemtrails as far as eye can see".

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020

I think Archspire are actually pretty canny songwriters who walk that tightrope between memorability and corkscrewing technicality better than a lot of their contemporaries. A band like Origin or Spawn of Possession never released a straight up banger like Remote Tumour Seeker, for example. That said, they're still operating in a pretty tight niche which is extreme even by normal death metal standards, so I get it.

Kicking off spooky season in style, NecroticGoreBeast released their new album today. Neck wrecking riffs by the ton and vocals only a garbage disposal could love. Highly recommended for those willing to sacrifice a few of their brain cells to the altar of slam.

Also stumbled across this newish Worm track while on Bandcamp and came away highly impressed. Melodic doom death with a bit of blackened theatricality. Definitely gonna go back and check out their previous album.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Got a Ticketmaster email saying the Judas Priest show is postponed. I thought it was gonna be some covid shenanigans (which would be weird since our lockdown is ended here) but it's unrelated, Richie is unwell :(

Hope he's OK and recovers soon
He posted an update on his social media. Aorta ruptured in his chest during the performance. But luckily it happened at the end of the short set and hospital was close enough.

Jan 11, 2019
Any Draconian fans in here? I discovered the band earlier this week and have been listening to them non stop since.
Death, Come Near Me and Pale Tortured Blue are my favorite songs for the moment.
Going to listen to their newest album, Under a Godless Veil, which is apparently mellower according to the reviews I've read.
Yes, Sovran is my fav, a real tearjerker. I like the newest one as well.

Now listen to Hour of the Nightingale and embrace all the tears.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Sovran is my fav, a real tearjerker. I like the newest one as well.

Now listen to Hour of the Nightingale and embrace all the tears.

Thanks for the recommendation! I learned a bit about Trees of Eternity by listening to some Hallatar, but haven't listened to any of their songs yet.

Sovran is an incredible album! Arcane Rain Fell and Under a Godless Veil too, these three are my favorite of their albums.
Have you ever seen them live? I was disappointed by the videos I watched on YouTube, but I couldn't tell if it's solely because of the quality of the recordings or if the band is simply not as good live.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Jane Doe identified!

www.brooklynvegan.com

The woman from Converge’s ‘Jane Doe’ artwork reveals herself, J Bannon confirms

20 years after the release of 'Jane Doe,' model Audrey Marnay has said that the mysterious woman on the cover is her, and J. Bannon has confirmed it.

attachment-janedoe-16x9.jpg

Jacob Bannon said:
Just to be clear: This is definitely one of the sources for the original stencil/mixed media piece for the "Jane Doe" album. Most of my work always been collaged cut/paste based (and still is). Hundreds of images were xeroxed and repainted/inked in a loose style to create the release artwork. This process is similar to everyone from Shepard Fairey to Francis Bacon. Over time my work has evolved into something more much more refined, but the roots will always be in this style. I wonder if folks will still insist that it is actually from the cover of Slayer's "Reign In Blood"?

The original goal was to create ghost-like forms that embodied the concept of "Jane Doe". In recreation identifiers are removed from physical forms, making all humans become relatable and stoic. We see what we want to see in them, and often times, it's a reflection back onto our own life experiences, etc.

Thank you.
-J.

Jan 11, 2019
Thanks for the recommendation! I learned a bit about Trees of Eternity by listening to some Hallatar, but haven't listened to any of their songs yet.

Sovran is an incredible album! Arcane Rain Fell and Under a Godless Veil too, these three are my favorite of their albums.
Have you ever seen them live? I was disappointed by the videos I watched on YouTube, but I couldn't tell if it's solely because of the quality of the recordings or if the band is simply not as good live.

No I haven't but I will probably go see them should they ever play around here. Also hour of the Nightingale was released just after the singer, Aleah, had passed away, which makes it somewhat special to me. And the mood is very similar to Draconians music so you should like it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
In "What year is this??" news:

www.loadedradio.com

IRON MAIDEN Loving High School Principal Under Fire By Students' Parents For Being A Metalhead

A number of concerned parents have been trying to get a principal removed from her high school because she listens to IRON MAIDEN.

Satanic moral panic over... Iron Maiden. In Ontario, Canada, 2021. Yeah, you read that right. How pathetic is that lmfao

a0076259712_10.jpg

https://naturmachtproductions.bandcamp.com/album/kuu-erkyl-n-yll

Looks like the new Havukruunu EP came out in full today (not sure why the media link isn't working).
Gotta use the
Code:
[media]
tag:

Sounds good so far.