• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't sure I ever checked out Pestilence before, but randomly decided to check out the new album and think it's pretty awesome. Going backwards through the catalog.

Just through the post reform material. Exitivm, awesome. Hadeon, decent tracks but poor production. Obsideo, enjoyed it. Doctine, complete junk. Resurrection Macabre, great.

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't sure I ever checked out Pestilence before, but randomly decided to check out the new album and think it's pretty awesome. Going backwards through the catalog.

Just through the post reform material. Exitivm, awesome. Hadeon, decent tracks but poor production. Obsideo, enjoyed it. Doctine, complete junk. Resurrection Macabre, great.

Oh god, when you get to Consuming Impulse and Malleus Maleficarum

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
One of the best things about streaming is definitely being able to dip into the back catalogues of bands you either missed or overlooked. Before I binged their discography on Apple Music last year I though Immolation were the Acme of death metal, now they're one of my favourite bands.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Just sitting about reading reviews and waiting for Senjutsu to drop now. I take back everything I said about Stratego before, sure it needed a little more time in the oven and the production is soupy and indistinct but the song itself slaps so hard. That marching rhythm has come to land just perfectly with me. Favourite Maiden single since Breeg or Rainmaker probably.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Damn no Colors 2 talk in here yet?

I keep intending to listen to it from start to finish, but I keep playing it at night so I fall asleep halfway through heh.

Gonna give it a full listen today.

edit: that Ants of the Sky throwback in Bad Habits. Chills.

I absolutely love the album.. pretty much not a single bad song in there.. I heard some people that "Prehistory" is strange and doesn't really do anything special, but I really dig it - those cartoon sounds are maybe gimmicky, but I love them and I think they fit the band and this album perfectly
And some people don't really care about "Turbulent", but I think it's a great song and for me the "hit" song of the album - not the best, there are better songs on the album but for the way how it's melodic, more standard and simpler sounding and with a more basic song structure compared to other their songs, but in my opinion its definitely fits the album

Best songs for me are "The Double Helix of Extinction" - air horn in a BTBAM? Why not and then right after that some tribal sounding drums? Oh yeah..
"Revolution In Limbo", "Never Seen / Future Shock", "Bad Habits", "The Future Is Behind Us" and of course "Human Is Hell (Another One With Love)"..all the callbacks to Colors 1 and other their previous material is the cherry on top.. so far my favorite album of this year, with Erra's album not far behind

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
BTBAM - Colors 2: Really great album. Highlight for me is Prehistory into Bad Habits. Right now I'd probably rank the album lower than anything Colors or after but that's just because those are so strong for me. BTBAM's stuff always grows on me so I'm curious where this will end up.

Leprous - Aphelion: Man I love this album. I think it's definitely better than their last (which I also did like) and Malina, possibly Coal as well. They're hard to rank. Currently The Shadow Side is stuck in my head daily. Nighttime Disguise is amazing and apparently they wrote it on a fan stream with some fan stipulations. It's cool to hear a scream again. Kinda wish they did a few more tracks with screams.

Deafheaven - Infinite Granite: I should really be into this one but honestly it kinda passes by without hooking me. It finishes and I'm like wow I don't remember any of that. Ordinary Corrupt is still by far my favorite of theirs. Bummer this was a letdown.

Wolves in the Throne Room - Primordial Arcana: Good album but kinda buried with all the rest of the releases.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think I've ever mentioned to anyone how much I like the Heretic album by Morbid Angel, but I am no longer going to hide. This track is maybe one of the best MA tracks there is.

This post is brought to you by me having my mind blown at how Azagthoth is pronounced after saying it wrong? for 20 years:

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
I CAN'T HANDLE HOW GOOD THIS ALBUM IS FUCK
Quite a bit better than I was expecting but I went in with low expectations (decent album with a few bangers).
Only downside is the instumental lengths on the Harris tracks. Hopefully then do a 5 minute version of Death of the Celts as a B-side or a fan knocks one up. Trimmed up version would be sweet live.

Enjoying TWotW more as part of an album than as a single.

Favourite part is The Who sounding guitar on The Time Machine.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think I've ever mentioned to anyone how much I like the Heretic album by Morbid Angel, but I am no longer going to hide. This track is maybe one of the best MA tracks there is.

This post is brought to you by me having my mind blown at how Azagthoth is pronounced after saying it wrong? for 20 years:

Heretic is a great album. The production on it is not good though compared to Formulas or Gateways. Still, those first 3 Steve Tucker albums all great.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Leprous - Aphelion: Man I love this album. I think it's definitely better than their last (which I also did like) and Malina, possibly Coal as well. They're hard to rank. Currently The Shadow Side is stuck in my head daily. Nighttime Disguise is amazing and apparently they wrote it on a fan stream with some fan stipulations. It's cool to hear a scream again. Kinda wish they did a few more tracks with screams.
I felt as if it's a direct continuation of Pitfalls yet much more mature and complete. On Hold is the standout track for me.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've been out of the metal scene for some years. Any good tech-death or old-school-style metal albums lately? Just listened to Deeds of Flesh's latest album and it's great!

May 10, 2021
Germany
I've been out of the metal scene for some years. Any good tech-death or old-school-style metal albums lately? Just listened to Deeds of Flesh's latest album and it's great!

Latest Nile album was cool. Also check out some Obscura records (Akroasis,Diluvium or the upcoming "A Valediction"). Another band you might wanna check out is Rivers of Nihil. They will release a new album by the end of september.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020

How many years are we talking? Here's some recent (and recent-ish) tech I've been listening to:

Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology (I'm not sure if this is tech, progressive or melodic, but it's definitely one of the best DM albums of the last few years)
Vale of Pnath - Accursed
Hideous Divinity - Simulacrum
Hour of Penance - Misotheism
Alustrium - A Monument to Silence
Burial in the Sky - The Consumed Self
Unfathomable Ruination - Enraged and Unbound
Aepoch - Awakening Inception & The Scryer EP
Mithras - On Strange Loops
Allegaeon - Apoptosis
Ophidian I - Desolate
Abysmal Dawn - Phylogenesis
Afterbirth - Four Dimensional Flesh
Beneath the Massacre - Fearmonger
Shadow of Intent - Melancholy
Skeletal Remains - Entombment of Chaos (This is more OSDM, but with a slight, techy slant)
Horrendous - Idol
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race (I don't get the hype, but the internet lost its mind over this album.)

I'll stop there, but if you're after more rec's lemme know. Not as up on my trad metal, but the new Portrait is out today and the last Eternal Champion album, and Rex by Vampire are both worth checking out.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Latest Nile album was cool. Also check out some Obscura records (Akroasis,Diluvium or the upcoming "A Valediction"). Another band you might wanna check out is Rivers of Nihil. They will release a new album by the end of september.
Listened to some of Akroasis and i'm loving them! Will check out the others. Thank you. :)
How many years are we talking? Here's some recent (and recent-ish) tech I've been listening to:

Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology (I'm not sure if this is tech, progressive or melodic, but it's definitely one of the best DM albums of the last few years)
Vale of Pnath - Accursed
Allegaeon - Apoptosis
Ophidian I - Desolate
Skeletal Remains - Entombment of Chaos (This is more OSDM, but with a slight, techy slant)
Horrendous - Idol
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race (I don't get the hype, but the internet lost its mind over this album.)

I'll stop there, but if you're after more rec's lemme know. Not as up on my trad metal, but the new Portrait is out today and the last Eternal Champion album, and Rex by Vampire are both worth checking out.
Thanks for the recs! :) That's plenty for now thank you I've been out of the loop for about 2 years.

May 10, 2021
Germany
Oh, I can't believe I forgot Ulcerate. In my opionion one of the best modern (brutal) tech death bands.

My favorite albums are "Shrines of Paralysis" and the latest "Stare Into Death and be Still".

www.youtube.com

ULCERATE - "Shrines of Paralysis" (Official Track)

ULCERATE - "Shrines Of Paralysis," from the new album 'Shrines Of Paralysis, out now on CD/2xLP/Digital via Relapse Records. Order here: bit.ly/ulcerate-sopO...

www.youtube.com

Ulcerate - Stare Into Death And Be Still

Taken from the album "Stare Into Death And Be Still", out on April 24th 2020. Order from :- the European shop at http://bit.ly/ulcerateEU- the North American...

www.youtube.com

Ulcerate - Dissolved Orders (Official Video)

Taken from the album "Stare Into Death And Be Still", out on April 24th 2020. Directed by Dehn Sora.Order from :- the European shop at http://bit.ly/ulcerate...

Crimmson

Oct 26, 2017
Conversely, new Maiden is largely quality. Two of the ten tracks are duds but the rest I'm finding to be good to great.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved Book of Souls but the new one kinda blew past without me noticing the two times I listened to it. Not bad but also not great.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Bandcamp Friday haul:

Chinese epic black metal. FFO: Summoning, Bathory, Graveland

Romanian folk metal. FFO: Hantaoma, Vintersorg, Moonsorrow

Cypriot heavy metal. Might have made my AOTY list last year but I only discovered it now! FFO: Jag Panzer, Manowar, Cauldron Born

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Vale of Pnath - Accursed
Allegaeon - Apoptosis
Ophidian I - Desolate
Horrendous - Idol

Just finished Enraged and Unbound and wow that was sick! Reminds me a little of Defeated Sanity which I love. :)

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
New Maiden is their best work since Dance of Death imo. Haven't been a massive fan of anything they've done since although I can certainly appreciate and return to it sometimes. Just some absolute bangers in the mix this time, like Days of Future Past and the title track, and some really worthwhile longer cuts too. Lost in a Lost World could be a Blue Oyster deep cut if they ditched some of the lengthy midsection. Definitely sounding like an older band now but I'm here for it, this band raised me just as much as my parents ever did, and if this is their final album, it's a solid exit.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I didn't even like Hell on Earth at first glance, I had set it up in my mind to be the most heavy and myopic track in the band's history and upon actually hearing it, its unabashed sentimentality really threw me off to begin with. Now that 'love** in anger - life in danger' part in its midsection nearly brings a tear to my eye, a first with this band to say the least. It sounds like an X Factor song in a lot of ways, but the best possible execution of that style and a shockingly effective way to potentially write the end of Maiden's album career.

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Made the mistake of listening to Garage Inc. Again for the first time in like 10 years... Terrible, unlistenable trash the majority of it. Worst offender could be their Mercyful Fate medley, what a disaster.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Made the mistake of listening to Garage Inc. Again for the first time in like 10 years... Terrible, unlistenable trash the majority of it. Worst offender could be their Mercyful Fate medley, what a disaster.
The cover of Loverman by Nick Cave, which i believe is from Garage Inc, makes me want to throw up. It replaces the dark and majestic flavour of that song with cheap beer and salty pretzels

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even like Hell on Earth at first glance, I had set it up in my mind to be the most heavy and myopic track in the band's history and upon actually hearing it, its unabashed sentimentality really threw me off to begin with. Now that 'lost in anger - life in danger' part in its midsection nearly brings a tear to my eye, a first with this band to say the least. It sounds like an X Factor song in a lot of ways, but the best possible execution of that style and a shockingly effective way to potentially write the end of Maiden's album career.

Yep, honestly I really can't complain if Hell on Earth ends up being the band's final song. Steve knocked it out of the ballpark.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
So those Gloryhammer leaked conversations from last week were confirmed real and Chris Bowes released a statement on the matter.
Statement
Damn shame. Really enjoyed both Alestorm and Gloryhammer for what it was.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I was at all of Alestorm's first three gigs, when they were still called Battleheart, and actually sat on a wall consoling Chris outside a pub in Dundee about how his keytar fell off one time (😂) it's super weird and surreal to see him and his projects go down in this particular manner, always seemed like a sensitive, relatively self-aware lad to me. Not excusing, it's just odd to see. Hope he grows a bit from this.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'm a little late to the game on this one but...

Oh my god. That breakdown in "To the Hellfire" by Lorna Shore.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Wes Thrailkill and Ron Jarzombek did a song together. It's going to release next Friday. Should be fucking chaos.