• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be a douche, but someone telling people in a thread full of extreme metal nerds to check out Gojira if they want to 'dip their toes in to the heavier side of metal' tickles me greatly. Like, read the room, dude.

That poster was clearly not telling you specifically, but speaking generally about the album.
It's kinda offensive that such a lame ass band named themselves Gojira, tbh.
I poked in here to see what the reaction to Fortitude was and y'all can just keep carrying on then.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I poked in here to see what the reaction to Fortitude was and y'all can just keep carrying on then.
ha, listen to whatever you enjoy. And I'm sure they're fine as a gateway band.

There's a more clever analogy to be made that I'm too lazy/dumb to think of, but it's basically Korn being named Seven Samurai or some shit.

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a big Gojira fan or anything and I know this is entirely subjective, but I always felt they had a heavy, lumbering sound to them (more so on their earlier albums). Not the first thing that comes to mind when I think Godzilla, but I think it fits.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
BourbonAFC Valkyr Glad you like them! Blightmarch might be my AOTY so far honestly. Though I need to re-listen to Crypt of Ice.

So sorry to have to be the one to tell you but you are being a douche
Meh, you were being kind of patronizing, honestly.

Anyway, let's all chill out. How about we all bond over some ultra-old-school feminist death metal from my hometown, y'all? ^^

This is a 1995 tape that was re-released last year by Temple of Mystery Records (which, full disclosure, is ran by my friend Annick of Cauchemar and author or Hellbent for Cooking <3).

it's basically Korn being named Seven Samurai or some shit.
lmao

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Anything out of Mexico in the 90s is guaranteed to be good imo:

How about we all bond over some ultra-old-school feminist death metal from my hometown, y'all? ^^

This is a 1995 tape that was re-released last year by Temple of Mystery Records (which, full disclosure, is ran by my friend Annick of Cauchemar and author or Hellbent for Cooking <3).

This is a great album and I also encourage everyone to check it out.

Oct 27, 2017
1487_witchhammer.jpg

Is this a good album cover or a bad album cover

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Turd level. The logo, typography, layout already ruin it without even looking at the drawing. Which is terrifying btw: blurred background, horrible cutting of awful art, etc. I'm honestly having trouble comparing it to Dance of Death tier. This may actually be worse as a cover.

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
That cover looks like a mix of Somberlain (coach, graveyard) and Storm of the Light's Bane (colour scheme, grim reaper)

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
"Should we rip off the Somberlain or Storm of the Light's Bane for our cover?"
"Yes"

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for some recommendations for releases from the last couple of months. I'm currently enjoying Sur Austru (Romanian folky black metal, recommended if you like Negura Bunget), Ruins of Beverast, Cult of Luna, Mare Cognitum and Malist (thanks whoever mentioned it in here).

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for some recommendations for releases from the last couple of months. I'm currently enjoying Sur Austru (Romanian folky black metal, recommended if you like Negura Bunget), Ruins of Beverast, Cult of Luna, Mare Cognitum and Malist (thanks whoever mentioned it in here).

Ildaruni is armenian black metal in the vein of Rotting Christ, and very good.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
Këkht Aräkh - Pale Swordsman is probably going to be one one of the most talked about releases this year, and for good reason. Melancholic and romantic BM.

Otherwise, BM releases i really enjoyed this year so far are:
Ungfell - Es grauet
Koldovstvo - Ни царя, ни бога
Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst
Kirottu - Deity Embers
Escumergamënt - …ni degu fazentz escumergamënt e mesorga…

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I follow Avantasia everywhere on social media and it seems Herbie Langhans has a new band.

Some new power metal to listen to!

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Këkht Aräkh - Pale Swordsman is probably going to be one one of the most talked about releases this year, and for good reason. Melancholic and romantic BM.

This album is really, really good. Straight up Burzum and LLN worship but it's perfect. The bright, reverb-y guitar riff on the first song too is *chef's kiss*. The last song though is a bit cringe-y but easily ignored.

Spectral Wound's album is also good. If you like Sargeist-esque melodic BM, you'll like it.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Coevality's debut album is a great example of high quality Prog. This album kept me company for the last 3 weeks while I was recovering from Covid.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Vendetta by Sonic Demon. Pure fuzzy stoner-doom that sounds like early Electric Wizard.

They're published on Forbidden Place Records, who do physical copies and promotion for a lot of stoner, doom, psych, hardcore, and experimental stuff, both international and near Denver where they're based.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Another new Desaster song from their upcoming album:

This is textbook/classic Desaster, which means it's very very good. Album comes out in a few weeks, can't wait. Maybe AOTY if they keep it up!

I really enjoyed Vendetta by Sonic Demon. Pure fuzzy stoner-doom that sounds like early Electric Wizard.

They're published on Forbidden Place Records, who do physical copies and promotion for a lot of stoner, doom, psych, hardcore, and experimental stuff, both international and near Denver where they're based.

This isn't my favourite genre, but this appears to be a very competent effort at it. I'm enjoying more than I thought I would, basically haha. Cheers

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Another new Desaster song from their upcoming album:

This is textbook/classic Desaster, which means it's very very good. Album comes out in a few weeks, can't wait. Maybe AOTY if they keep it up!
Yes! This is excellent.

This isn't my favourite genre, but this appears to be a very competent effort at it. I'm enjoying more than I thought I would, basically haha. Cheers
Morrigan enjoying some stoner doom?? You feelin' okay, friend?

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
The new album from Dordehuh (which is made up of former members of Negura Bunget) is some weird sounding stuff, but I like it. Hypnotic, but still heavy and catchy. They describe themselves as Dark Folk / Black Metal.

And Cadaveric Incubator came out with their new album "Nightmare Necropolis". It's Cadaveric Incubator, it's swell!

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
The new album from Dordehuh (which is made up of former members of Negura Bunget) is some weird sounding stuff, but I like it. Hypnotic, but still heavy and catchy. They describe themselves as Dark Folk / Black Metal.

Oooh, now that's a recommendation. Will give it a listen shortly.

As an aside, Negură Bunget were one of the more impressive bands I've seen live. They had a truly vast variety of different instruments on stage to play even the longer "acoustic" sections of their albums. I've seen enough other bands just using a laptop for that.