• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Best demo: Dødskvad - Krønike I or Coagulate – The Art of Cryptosis
Best old band that's still putting out music: I dunno, Abigor I guess? Definitely not …and Oceans.
Best album that I waited years for and didn't end up sucking: Eurynomos – From The Valleys of Hades
Album I listened to the most but somehow doesn't feel like the "best": Intellect Devourer – Demons of the Skull
Best album: Too much work.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I know Sunburst has been mentioned here before with the Kamelot/Roy Kahn fans, but I was unaware the vocalist had another band from before (as well as the guitarist).

Black Fate put out a new album in October, and I'm enjoying it so far. edit: Dang I thought that was great.

blackfate1.bandcamp.com

Ithaca, by Black Fate

12 track album

Last edited:

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might have been too hasty with my top 5 of the year. Just listened to the new Kashiwa Daisuke and hook boy is this a weird little album with the exact kinda weirdness I love. Though I'm guessing this should go under post-rock rather than metal. I hope no one minds.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Yo, maybe a stupid ask but I'm learning how to scream like what the deathcore kids do and am looking for songs to practice to. The problem is, most deathcore and vocal melody aren't really friends, so it feels like I'm reading lyric sheets and shooting pretty blind as far as what comes next. Whitechapel is the closest I'm getting to "okay this is almost singable..." but I'm wondering if any of you guys know of more melodic deathcore bands out there.

I can't do highs yet :X Just mids and lows, so anything with lots of highs is kinda out.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Chimp Spanner should be close to releasing something. He updated his Facebook cover photo with something called "Tombstone City."

Last edited:
May 7, 2020
Most eagerly awaited album in a while. One of the guys from Bog Body, and I suspect Avi from Magrudergrind is involved as well. One of the only bands that's really nailing the Blasphemy triplet these days.

Somewhat of a departure but also really loved the new Venus Star LP from last year. Not a band I can ever see disappointing, and a nice gap filler until the new Ride For Revenge LP that was being written comes out.

Also doing my yearly Ravenous revisiting. You'd think with the Reifert connection and nowadays OLD SCHOOL mania, people would be all over this record. It's so hard. Alas it remains one of Reifert's most unsung projects.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has passed away. RIP. He did a lot of good things for Finnish metal scene.

Doomshine

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, he can't have been that old. RIP.
I could probably credit him and CoB for getting me into the more extreme side of metal.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Laiho was one of my favorite guitarists when I was a teen and I loved a few of those CoB albums. Goddamn.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So young. I had no idea he had health problems but I haven't been following CoB in decades, admittedly. Still like their first two albums. RIP :(

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Listened to those first few records constantly in HS. Still remember how excited I was when I finally got to see them. Eventually completely lost interest, but they definitely helped me get into more extreme stuff.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Something Wild, Hatebreeder, Follow The Reaper and HCD are the reason I'm a metalhead. Hugely influential albums for me in my teens.
Rock in Peace Alexi

Edit - CoB's cover of Oops I did it again is probably the funniest cover I've ever heard.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Yup saw this everyone but was waiting for the news to hit because I didn't want to, well, possibly break site rules 😂

It's almost certain to be him. A friend of mine saw a comment in a public Facebook group made by ex-Iced Earth singer Gene Adam. Gene deleted it, but he screencapped it first:

image0.png

Also there's a photo of Jon with the same hoodie as today's photos.

What a total chud, lol

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is okay to say all those cool riffs from Iced Earth just came from a draft wind in studio brushing up against a lone guitar.

TheLastCandle

Oct 25, 2017
Harrisburg, PA, USA
Iced Earth were my real gateway into underground metal when I was in high school, and they were my favorite band for a long time. I remember going to see them on the Horror Show tour with my then girlfriend and buddies when I was 18.

Jesus christ. I knew he was a wackjob but I guess this is where I finally cut the cord. I'll always have Burnt Offerings, I guess.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Just saw the news about Jon Schaffer. I ran into him and spoke with him for a couple minutes at my hotel the day after the Demons and Wizards show in 2019. Damnit, what a piece of shit.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Jon Schaffer was also seen at a pro Trump demonstration in November. He was coincidentally interviewed by a German news website. The reporter didn't even now he was a "rockstar". He is just described as one of many random protesters. He is quoted in the article:

Jon Schaffer: "If someones uses violence against us we will react accordingly. We don't want to, but we are ready." and "They will go under. They are challenging the wrong people, you can believe me."

Link: https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland...rd-fliegen-Faeuste-und-Feuerwerkskoerper.html

Fortunately I'm not a fan of Iced Earth.

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Schaffer has been on his bullshit for years so I'm not surprised at all by this. Hope he gets blacklisted after this and relegated to some MAGA corner that no one will listen to. Fuck him. When the Eagle Cries indeed.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The metal scene is full of conspiracy theory nut jobs. Half the brutal dm scene is probably far down the Q rabbit hole.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Hahahaha 😂

www.blabbermouth.net

Police Are Looking For ICED EARTH's JON SCHAFFER For 'Unrest-Related Offenses'

Washington D.C. police and federal investigators have released 38 images of individuals suspected of unlawful entry during a violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol carried out on Wednesday (January 6) during the final Congressional vote recording for the 2020 general election. Among them is a...

Anyone wants $1000, now's your chance

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Was talking to my friends about our favorite metal stories. History's dumbest coup attempt is good and all (he'll get extra points if he goes to jail over it), but there's also the time the dude from Malevolent Creation lied about killing a homeless person in defense of a convenience store and being rewarded with a lifetime supply of chocolate milk.

However, I don't think anything will ever top the time Will Rahmer was arrested in Poland for stealing a taxi at knife point and attempting to escape to the border and his unhinged rant when he finally got home.