• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I know metal isn't exactly known for its subtlety, but Sanchez does take the shitty cake. Guy needs to give Barney Greenway or Jason Netherton a call for pointers on how to mix politics and metal without coming across like a cartoon character.

Great band. The guitarist's new outfit, Quayde LaHüe, is pretty good, too. More of a post-punk vibe but scratches a similar itch.

Also, just discovered this gore-splattered gem is on Bandcamp:

Death/thrash with a sprinkle of grind and some screaming guitar solos. I listened to this album so much back in '06 every riff is seared into my frontal cortex. Underground classic that needs more love.

Thanks for posting this! This is just what I was in the mood for tonight!

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
oh man, I'm literally in the process of rebuilding my Razorback CD collection and making pretty good headway. I owned every single release of theirs up until RR57, like early 2010. But anyways that Frightmare LP is super tight. Gotta give them credit for being able to add a sorta precision thrash angle to their sound. Thing is though, they nailed their ultra catchy, super fat goregrind sound so well on Midnight Murder Mania that I'm sad it only appeared in full force on one album. Love the sophomore effort no doubt, but there are times when it makes me think of, like, Municipal Waste too much lol. I mean just knowing what they used to sound like. That being said, Bringing Back the Bloodshed is still fantastic and it deserves a vinyl release. I hope Maniac Neil comes back with something soon.

As a goregrind fan, stumbling across Razorback Recs back in the day was like finding the Lost City of El Dorado. So many awesome records and their distro was amazing. I hope they put Where Monsters Dwell by Engorged on BC at some point, that record being OOP for so long is a crime.

Deathgrind needs more swingin', southern fried riffs.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
As a goregrind fan, stumbling across Razorback Recs back in the day was like finding the Lost City of El Dorado. So many awesome records and their distro was amazing. I hope they put Where Monsters Dwell by Engorged on BC at some point, that record being OOP for so long is a crime.

Deathgrind needs more swingin', southern fried riffs.

great one! Yeah Razorback was easily one of the most fun labels to follow in that scene. One more under the banner of PDX gore:

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Up until like 2006-ish they were pretty consistently killing it with every release. They've had some solid stuff since, but that initial run was ridiculous.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Up until like 2006-ish they were pretty consistently killing it with every release. They've had some solid stuff since, but that initial run was ridiculous.
yeah once their backbone shifted from grind to more standard death metal the output wasn't as strong. I say that as a big fan of a ton of the older horror death/doom stuff they released.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
yNvUnfp.png

kinda not really my up to date collection. At least a dozen others stuck in the post or in a box somewhere.

wanted to highlight this Funerot record as it's a pretty nice surprise of a release in the Razorback catalog. Incredibly dope crossover.

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
there are only a handful of bands where I'm aware of any prevailing public opinion. Not really important. Also it's To Mega Therion for me.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Help me out Metal Era. I'm jaded with so many of these newer metal bands (formed within the last decade). There is competent musicianship and great style and aesthetics all around but... Its rare i find a band that consistently writes compelling, memorable songs/compositions (what actually matters). Style over substance is nothing new but every time I start exploring new releases it feels depressingly like wading through the muck of once promising bands.

For reference, I listen to mainly death metal, trad heavy metal, some prog and power and black metal. An example of a newer band that is worth the hype imo is Eternal Champion and their album "The Armor of Ire". Of the Manilla Road-like bands ive been trying to find they are exceptionally and notable over the rest... Majorly due to how they do not fail in delivering varied, interesting songwriting.

So Metal Era, who are your favorite newer bands that you feel truly stand out with great and powerful songwriting? Any genre.

I might be in the same boat as you, and it seems like there are a lot of bands that have released material that I can casually listen to anymore, but nothing that truly stands out for my particular tastes all that much.

Here are some of the newer bands that have wowed me over the last few years. While you might find them more on the technical side, compared to simply writing earworms, a lot of this stuff tends to get stuck in my head. For days. They also often mix the genres you say you enjoy.

I honestly haven't been as impressed with a new band as much as I have with Anciients in over a decade. In 2016 there were also a few other bands that were releasing albums that I had eagerly been anticipating, but then Anciients' second album Voice of the Void came out, and it was the only thing I wanted to listen to for months.

Do you like King Diamond or Symphony X?

If Jeff Loomis was the main songwriter for Kamelot

TheLastCandle

Oct 25, 2017
Harrisburg, PA, USA
Length != quality
The songwriting on the s/t is far superior and it has no filler, so it wins. Mindcrime is a good album but massively overrated.

I love the EP so I'm not gonna get all hot and bothered, but I just love Mindcrime so much. It's about as close to perfect as an album can get to me.

Can we all agree that Silent Lucidity is a good song and one of their best?

It's good! Empire is good in general, especially the big hits from the album.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Length != quality
The songwriting on the s/t is far superior and it has no filler, so it wins. Mindcrime is a good album but massively overrated.

Eh, I think "Queen of the Ryche" is probably one of their best songs, "Nightrider" and "The Lady Wore Black" are really good too, but I never really thought "Blinded" was anything special. It wasn't Iron Maiden filler tier, but still nothing amazing compared to what they would write later.

I also highly disagree about Operation Mindcrime being overrated. It's one of the few concept albums that works from start to finish too, maybe even rivaling Abigail, and it's full of great songs. Even if you remove whatever hypothetical filler you think it has (the interludes?), it still has many more consistently great songs than the EP.

It's good! Empire is good in general, especially the big hits from the album.

All this talk of Queensryche got me listening to "Scarborough Fair", and now I just want to listen to Thane to the Throne.

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Gave a latest Vader album a spin during my cardio... and made 10 km in a record time .. short but brutal.

Spinning it now and it is awesome. Going back to our most consistent band discussion, Vader have to be in that list. Huge discography and very few, if any, duds. There's some fucking awesome riffs on this new one.

Oct 29, 2017
I might be in the same boat as you, and it seems like there are a lot of bands that have released material that I can casually listen to anymore, but nothing that truly stands out for my particular tastes all that much.

Here are some of the newer bands that have wowed me over the last few years. While you might find them more on the technical side, compared to simply writing earworms, a lot of this stuff tends to get stuck in my head. For days. They also often mix the genres you say you enjoy.

I honestly haven't been as impressed with a new band as much as I have with Anciients in over a decade. In 2016 there were also a few other bands that were releasing albums that I had eagerly been anticipating, but then Anciients' second album Voice of the Void came out, and it was the only thing I wanted to listen to for months.

Words cannot adequately describe how much I INSTANTLY loved that Anciients song. Thank you for posting them!

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Spinning it now and it is awesome. Going back to our most consistent band discussion, Vader have to be in that list. Huge discography and very few, if any, duds. There's some fucking awesome riffs on this new one.

Agreed Vader have been quite consistent over the years. Haven't listened to the new record though probably will try it out later.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Thane to the Throne is a great album, probably my favorite overall Jag Panzer album.
Same
Had an old metal head talking about Trigger Zone and Liquid Nation, opinions or heard of either?
Never heard of either. Is this them?
They seem pretty obscure! I wouldn't be surprised if Bitanator knew them well and had all their demos though :)

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

here's something pretty obscure that I found sometime during high school. Ontario heavy/power/thrash with killer leads. Honestly I jammed this demo a shit ton. I didn't know a whole lot about metal at the time, basically was just a huge Iron Maiden head but I knew that I liked this kind of music.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Re-listening to Shotgun Justice, and this album kicks ass, man. Really looking forward to their new album that's supposed to come out this year.

Razor is one of those success stories where changing the vocalist ended up being awesome for their sound.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

so I'm late to this party, but this is easily one of the best LPs to come from my state in recent times. Touches on a lot of notes from various melodic black/death scenes in Scandinavia which results in really intricate, layered guitar work and constantly moving, interesting chord progressions. It's pretty amazing that something like this is coming from the bay area. Both members are fairly young, so I expect much more killer material to come from this project.

some trivia, Jake/Pendath was originally involved in Fabricant which was a short lived but high quality OSDM outlet primarily worshipping Demilich and Timeghoul. They got Turkka Rantanen, known for his work with Demilich, to work on Emberdawn and the demo previous.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

here's something pretty obscure that I found sometime during high school. Ontario heavy/power/thrash with killer leads. Honestly I jammed this demo a shit ton. I didn't know a whole lot about metal at the time, basically was just a huge Iron Maiden head but I knew that I liked this kind of music.

Pretty cool. Can't really think of too many other power/thrash bands that sound that much like Iron Maiden, and with such a good production. Kind of sounds a bit like Argus maybe, but at a much higher tempo.

I'll see your obscure power/thrash, and raise you one:

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty cool. Can't really think of too many other power/thrash bands that sound that much like Iron Maiden, and with such a good production. Kind of sounds a bit like Argus maybe, but at a much higher tempo.

I'll see your obscure power/thrash, and raise you one:

cheers for this. Huge sound and the chops are strong yet subtle. Gonna check out some of their LPs as well as some Communic stuff. I really have no idea what's going on when it comes to prog lol.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
cheers for this. Huge sound and the chops are strong yet subtle. Gonna check out some of their LPs as well as some Communic stuff. I really have no idea what's going on when it comes to prog lol.

Strange to Numbers is different from the other Scariot stuff. The previous albums are death metal, and the next has a different vocalist (sort of James Rivera), and actually sounds more like Forbidden mixed with Control Denied at times to me. The first two Communic albums are fantastic too, and the third is good as well, just a bit more repetitive, and the fourth...awful, muddy production.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am currently trying to sort my one and only huge Metal playlist. It's impossible.
Old stuff you can't hear anymore but are kinda dear to your heart.
New stuff you liked for some hot minutes but are not so sure about anymore.
Genre differences, only for solo, something for everyone. This will spread into 10 more playlists!

How do you folks do this?

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently trying to sort my one and only huge Metal playlist. It's impossible.
Old stuff you can't hear anymore but are kinda dear to your heart.
New stuff you liked for some hot minutes but are not so sure about anymore.
Genre differences, only for solo, something for everyone. This will spread into 10 more playlists!

How do you folks do this?

I'm an album person so I tend to not have any playlists just put on whatever album I want to listen to at the time. The avoidance of playlists is exactly because of the problem you are running into. WAYYYYYY too much music to put into just one or two. I think I have two total playlists, one is new albums I'm meaning to check out and one is Powerviolence because I was working out to it and the song lengths were just too short.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
the art of the mixtape. I honestly don't make playlists at all. All my music is ripped to my drive and I keep them all tagged clean. I listen to whatever when the mood strikes, so having a playlist is kind of redundant for me as they function the same as any other album. As an aside, I use foobar2000 as my player on the PC. I tag everything by region so it's easy to search for like "(swe) death metal".

coma

Oct 28, 2017
For some stuff (hip hop, classic rock) I make giant playlists and just throw them on shuffle. For metal, I tend to just listen to albums I guess. Grindcore/powerviolence specifically I find jarring to have in a playlist, going from one random 40 second to another.