• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
those goddamn Swedes. It's sounding like vinyl pre-orders are going fast so might wanna jump on it. Also forgot to mention that In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead is being reissued as well but there's no release date yet.

Oh thanks. Went to Century Media's store and they had Nattens Madrigal and Kveldssanger re-issues on sale for 13 bucks so I picked those up too.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
this footage rules

Glad I got to see them that year when they toured with Aura Noir, easily the best of the few times I've seen them. Vicious.

really not familiar with any recent Marduk but Rom 5:12 is being reissued next month, totally sick. I should probably take my next chance to see them when it comes.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
really not familiar with any recent Marduk but Rom 5:12 is being reissued next month, totally sick. I should probably take my next chance to see them when it comes.
I've never listened to their studio stuff much but i've been on a kick recently

I was a bit disappointed last time I saw Marduk in like 2017 because it wasn't just nonstop blasting (which I know people criticize them for but that's entirely the appeal for me).

As far as recent albums go, not a fan of Frontschwein really but Viktoria was decent. I think the stretch from Rom to Serpent Sermon is the sweet spot for me, just pure blast destruction

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Oh thanks. Went to Century Media's store and they had Nattens Madrigal and Kveldssanger re-issues on sale for 13 bucks so I picked those up too.
PlBzqH6.png

just came the other day. I've slept on the remasters for way too long. I checked out a vinyl rip of Wolf and Passion off the remastered Nattens Madrigal LP and I bought this shit immediately lol. Listening to a version that I don't have to manually EQ, a dream come true. These riffs are immortal.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
PlBzqH6.png

just came the other day. I've slept on the remasters for way too long. I checked out a vinyl rip of Wolf and Passion off the remastered Nattens Madrigal LP and I bought this shit immediately lol. Listening to a version that I don't have to manually EQ, a dream come true. These riffs are immortal.

I've sold my LP a long time ago, but always kept the T-shirt that came along with it, one of the few i still own, really like it and still like new despite wearing it usually.

oHimSu6.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil + the 2009 follow up are getting reissued proper by Century Media soon. Been wanting legit editions of these albums for a while now and they are here.

FFO: Dissection, Necrophobic

...How have I never heard of this band before? This is right up my alley (Storm of the Light's Bane is one of my all-time favourites). This is kind of "clone"-ish so far but fuck, I don't even care. Thanks!

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I love how Blut aus Nord is actually in the tags, lol. I mean the drum machine just seals the deal. But this is probably some of the coolest stuff Colin has played on. Very cool, thanks for posting.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

rediscovering my favorite Razorback albums and I found that the whole Decrepitaph catalog is NYP on Bandcamp right now. Old school death/doom with monstrous guitars. Wayne is more known for Encoffination and Father Befouled but these albums have always ruled.

FFO: Autopsy, Cianide, Asphyx

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
some colin marston and vindsval pre-pyramids

Holy shit, I didn't know about the A Northern Meadow album. Both that and this version are very interesting, thanks for posting this. I'm a fan of both Colin and BAN but I haven't followed them enough to know they worked on that Pyramids album or even contribute to the debut.

Speaking of Pyramids, the Sailors with Wax Wings and White Moth albums are no longer available on Spotify and I am sad. :(

I own them both, but still.

How do those albums sound in relation to these I mentioned? Should I be interested too?

Edit - found both on bandcamp, less interesting but still.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Who are the most consistent metal bands? As in bands who have put many albums over 10+ years, in which almost all of them are atleast good or better.

First band for me is MANILLA ROAD. They had been around since the late 70s and have one of the most impressive discographies that one can explore. 1983's "Crystal Logic" is in the top 10 of my favorite heavy metal albums of all time, and after that they released classic album after classic album even as their sound evolved (barring Circus Maximus I suppose). Most people familiar with Manilla Road know their streak of incredible albums in the 80s, but their later records released in the '2000s such as "Spiral Castle" and "Atlantis Rising" are incredible pieces of heavy and raw epic metal and deserve more attention.. And they kept making great records until the end. Rest in Valhalla Mark Shelton!

Listening to the Road gives me the same feels as reading a classic R.E. Howard Conan tale. And here we have one of the most classic heavy metal songs of all time:

My other pick is THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG. Quite possibly my favorite heavy metal band still in tact. Each time I revisit their records, I am so impressed at how consistent frontman Mike Scalzi is at writing varied, unconventional and memorable songs that have their own moods, themes and instantly recognizable melodies.... for the most part avoiding the "every song sounds the same" syndrome many metal bands have from album to album.Their brand of heavy metal is very melodic and influenced by Celtic folk, but no other band really sounds like them so listen for yourself.

Everyone recommends "Traveller", but while it does have a sick space doggo on the cover, it is not my favorite as it is too straightforward and isn't as unique, YMMV. Their best records IMO are "Down Among the Deadmen", "Atavism", and "Hardworlder". They recently released a new album, "New Organon" and it is very good as well! Better than their last.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Who are the most consistent metal bands? As in bands who have put many albums over 10+ years, in which almost all of them are atleast good or better.

First band for me is MANILLA ROAD. They had been around since the late 70s and have one of the most impressive discographies that one can explore. 1983's "Crystal Logic" is in the top 10 of my favorite heavy metal albums of all time, and after that they released classic album after classic album even as their sound evolved (barring Circus Maximus I suppose). Most people familiar with Manilla Road know their streak of incredible albums in the 80s, but their later records released in the '2000s such as "Spiral Castle" and "Atlantis Rising" are incredible pieces of heavy and raw epic metal and deserve more attention.. And they kept making great records until the end. Rest in Valhalla Mark Shelton!

Listening to the Road gives me the same feels as reading a classic R.E. Howard Conan tale. And here we have one of the most classic heavy metal songs of all time:

My other pick is THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG. Quite possibly my favorite heavy metal band still in tact. Each time I revisit their records, I am so impressed at how consistent frontman Mike Scalzi is at writing varied, unconventional and memorable songs that have their own moods, themes and instantly recognizable melodies.... for the most part avoiding the "every song sounds the same" syndrome many metal bands have from album to album.Their brand of heavy metal is very melodic and influenced by Celtic folk, but no other band really sounds like them so listen for yourself.

Everyone recommends "Traveller", but while it does have a sick space doggo on the cover, it is not my favorite as it is too straightforward and isn't as unique, YMMV. Their best records IMO are "Down Among the Deadmen", "Atavism", and "Hardworlder". They recently released a new album, "New Organon" and it is very good as well! Better than their last.

I'd throw in Incantation, Immolation, Bolt Thrower, Pagan Altar, and Satan.

for some reason I could never really get into Slough Feg, but I'll give them another shot.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
I'd throw in Incantation, Immolation, Bolt Thrower, Pagan Altar, and Satan.

for some reason I could never really get into Slough Feg, but I'll give them another shot.
Good pick on Pagan Altar, another one of my all-time favorites.

Slough Feg definitely aren't for everyone, especially Scalzi's vocals. But aside from Warrior's Dawn above, if I were to make a small playlist of some highlights it would look something like this:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Immolation is a solid pick for most consistent death metal band with a large discography. Listening to Majesty and Decay right now, which is killer.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Immolation is a solid pick for most consistent death metal band with a large discography. Listening to Majesty and Decay right now, which is killer.
yep. Gods of dark death metal, no two ways about it. It's insane how mature their early LPs were compared to so many of their contemporaries, and they still managed to continue pushing boundaries.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Been listening to the new Black Dahlia Murder album since Friday. Nightbringers was borderline perfection but this somehow feels like a worthy followup. The Wereworm's Feast is an absolute killer track.

Didn't realize Night Flight Orchestra had a new album out, glad I checked this thread, gonna throw that on at work next.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Good taste. I think both bands have some filler albums tbh, but overall they have been of exceptionally high quality for sure.

One of my "can do no wrong" bands is Summoning. Even if their later albums are not as exceptional as their pre-2002 ones, they are still one of the greatest and most consistent bands out there.
Moonsorrow hasn't released a bad album yet imo.
Hmm, maybe I need to revisit their last few ones, but... they did nothing for me. They always had a few long-ish songs on their earlier albums, but since Verisäkeet they just basically doubled down on the interminable, meandering 15 minute nonsense and while Verisäkeet still kept my interest somewhat, they lost me completely after that.

I am still a huge fan of their first 3 albums though. Kylän päässä is one of the greatest metal songs ever recorded.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Just found a really small Melodic Death band. They only have one album so far, but it's pretty good stuff.

Know any Technical Melodic Death bands? I'm interested in diving into that rabbit hole.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
New Mushroomhead. New album coming June 19 and the first without Jeffrey Nothing:

Sounds decent. I like the riff.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
There are two distinct eras of King Diamond. '86 to '95 and '96 to '07. One of these is way better than the other, and is also just shy of the ten year mark. If you want to add in his other band to the mix, then that changes things slightly, but that's also cheating.

Can't all be all time greats, but discography wise, cannot find much a fault in their catalogue.

I've yet to hear a bad album from Grave Digger as well

Doomshine

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, maybe I need to revisit their last few ones, but... they did nothing for me. They always had a few long-ish songs on their earlier albums, but since Verisäkeet they just basically doubled down on the interminable, meandering 15 minute nonsense and while Verisäkeet still kept my interest somewhat, they lost me completely after that.

I am still a huge fan of their first 3 albums though. Kylän päässä is one of the greatest metal songs ever recorded.
If you don't like the direction they took after Kivenkantaja I don't know that there's anything that will change your mind, but give it a shot.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Moonsorrow hasn't released a bad album yet imo.
That would've been the one I wanted to mention, yes.

I really like that they try to keep it "fresh" and every album sounds somewhat different, yet familiar. It's not "yet another Moonsorrow album", which makes me look eagerly forward to each new one.

Also, they are best at long songs, so I hope they keep doing that 😜

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Just found a really small Melodic Death band. They only have one album so far, but it's pretty good stuff.

Know any Technical Melodic Death bands? I'm interested in diving into that rabbit hole.

Never heard of these guys, but liking the embedded track.

I'm guessing you're familiar with the likes of Death, The Black Dahlia Murder, Allegaeon and Arsis, but some of my picks for more melodic, techy DM would be:

Polarity by Decrepit Birth - Heavy on the tech but also hyper melodic. Complete sensory overload, but still among my favourite TDM albums.

Obsolescence by Abysmal Dawn - These chaps definitely fall on the heavier end of the spectrum, but for a tech band they have a strong melodic sensibility and a good ear for neck wrecking grooves.

Our Cursed Rapture by Enfold Darkness - Super solid melodic tech death with a blackened edge.

Accursed by Vale of Pnath - One of my favourite EPs from last year. These guys started out as a pretty straightforward TDM band but have shifted towards a more neoclassical, black metal focused sound.

Interdimensional Invocations by Xoth - OSDM band that go heavy on the tech, but still manage to pen really catchy, melodic songs. These riffs will be stuck in your head for days.

Bonus: Mithras - On Stranger Loops and Sarpanitum's Blessed Be My Brothers... both heavy as balls and weird as all get out but packed with some of the most transcendent lead work in the genre.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
so I lied. High Roller, Nuclear Blast, CMDistro, Napalm Records all have open pre-orders. And I'm just now finding out that Century Media has pre-orders open for Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun? Yes I'll take it.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
Albums been out for a week and nobody has mentioned Oranssi Pazuzus, Mestarin kynsi yet. Took me a few listens but i am really liking the album. Värähtelijä is better, but this is still more of the good stuff. Shame i can't see them live anytime soon.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Albums been out for a week and nobody has mentioned Oranssi Pazuzus, Mestarin kynsi yet. Took me a few listens but i am really liking the album. Värähtelijä is better, but this is still more of the good stuff. Shame i can't see them live anytime soon.

My favorite of the year so far, actually, and for me it's their best by a considerable margin.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area Thrash doc "Murder in the Front Row" now seems to be available to buy/rent. Should be a fun watch.

Dig that Carrion Vael track. I'll have to check out these bands too. Only one that rings a bell is Abysmal Dawn, not sure they clicked with me.

Didn't realize Night Flight Orchestra had a new album out, glad I checked this thread, gonna throw that on at work next.

Hell yeah. It's so good.

I stumbled on this release from Andy Gillion (Guitarist from Mors Principium Est), and it's awesome. Mostly Instrumental.

andygillion.bandcamp.com

Neverafter, by Andy Gillion

11 track album

Last edited:

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
new Paradise Lost single out, "Ghosts".

These guys are always mentioned alongside My Dying Bride (whom I love) but I've never really given them the time of day. Best place to start?

Anyone else listened to the new Warbringer yet? I've spun it a couple of times and I'm liking what I hear. They're definitely leaning into the death/black influences a lot more this time round - Unraveling is packed with straight-up Schuldiner-isms, and Defiance of Fate is basically Immortal by way of vintage Metallica.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
These guys are always mentioned alongside My Dying Bride (whom I love) but I've never really given them the time of day. Best place to start?

Depends on what you like about different doom styles. Probably Icon, but I also like Dracoian Times a lot, and Shades of God. If you want brutal vocals, Gothic and/or Lost Paradise. Forget the rest (the new ones are good supposedly, but better start from the beginnings) unless specifically you want to endure One Second or something along those lines.

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what you like about different doom styles. Probably Icon, but I also like Dracoian Times a lot, and Shades of God. If you want brutal vocals, Gothic and/or Lost Paradise. Forget the rest (the new ones are good supposedly, but better start from the beginnings) unless specifically you want to endure One Second or something along those lines.
I'd argue that it's only really the middle albums that could be skipped, the newer ones have gone back to their gothic/doom sound. I only got into them myself with 'In Requiem', so maybe I'm a little more bias towards the newer albums but I definitely recommend that one and 'Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us' for the more gothic side and 'The Plague Within' for the older doom sound with harsh vocals.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue that it's only really the middle albums that could be skipped, the newer ones have gone back to their gothic/doom sound. I only got into them myself with 'In Requiem', so maybe I'm a little more bias towards the newer albums but I definitely recommend that one and 'Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us' for the more gothic side and 'The Plague Within' for the older doom sound with harsh vocals.

Yeah well, I didn't mean I don't recommend them (for what little I have listened, they sound good), but instead in response to where to start, I'd prefer starting on the earlier ones that are where the new sound comes from.
Start there and then move to either the middle ones or the newer ones, depending on what you like about the albums up until Draconian Times.

Or, you can go from the start up to Draconian and then skip to the newest one and go backwards from there, probably the best route.

By middle ones I assume you mean after Draconian Times and until the comeback (don't know the exact album). If so, yes by all means, those are the safe to ignore ones.

Anyway as a general sound of Paradise Lost and a general album to start with I'd still recommend Icon as it's probably the most representative and complete (and best).