• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't a difficult boss. It took me a few tries to beat (because I was falling off the edge from time to time) but not too long. I just wanted to talk about this because of how badly I think this fight is designed.

1) The game designers for whatever reason, chose to have the moth flip between dimension repeatedly, over and over again. So this has the effect of flashing constantly on screen. If you're photosensitive or anything like that, this is likely to trigger some issues. I'm a little sensitive to light at times and I left this boss fight with a terrible migraine.

2) The boss fight relies on an attack that reverses your controls. There's no real risk the boss will kill you by dealing damage directly. Instead the intent is that it will mess up (reverse your controls) and you'll throw yourself off the edge. Between trying not to look at the screen during the boss animations, I found it pretty easy to fall for the reversed controls and make a mistake during the platforming.

I imagine it doesn't come up often because the boss fight is so easy, that most folks just move through it quite quickly, but I really think this is one of the worst designed boss fights that I've encountered.

I don't really have anything else to say, but it's a shame that this game mars an otherwise pretty good game. I probably would never replay the game because it gives me a headache to play.

This is more of a rant than anything, but feel free to post your thoughts on this, and if you've encountered similar issues elsewhere. Particularly cases where the design was obnoxious and uncomfortable, rather than difficult.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are a number of weak bosses in the Messenger, the first boss in the DLC is similarly rough. I spent an hour trying to beat it and gave up, never playing the rest of the dlc. The concepts are good but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
There are a couple weak bosses, the first boss in the DLC is similarly rough. I spent an hour trying to beat it and gave up, never playing the rest of the dlc. The concepts are good but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
It was tge toughest boss of the dlc for me. Everything else after was way easier. The final boss was a pleasant surprise.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't that bad. I had more trouble with the endless runner stages with your shadow.

It's not that it's difficult, it's just mostly that it's a combination of annoying design + flashing effects. It's an accessibility issue built into a boss mechanic, for me. Obviously people's experiences will vary on that side of things, I don't expect most people to leave the fight with a headache like I did, but it happens specifically because the developers thought it was a good idea to have the screen repeatedly flash (with each stage of the boss).

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's not that it's difficult, it's just mostly that it's a combination of annoying design + flashing effects. It's an accessibility issue built into a boss mechanic, for me. Obviously people's experiences will vary on that side of things, I don't expect most people to leave the fight with a headache like I did, but it happens specifically because the developers thought it was a good idea to have the screen repeatedly flash (with each stage of the boss).
I agree with you on the flashing issue. It could have been done differently.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember the boss, but I don't remember the fight itself, which means it was probably just kind of boring.

The video is reminding me of that.

Don't think it's especially bad, but yeah, the flashing is not nice.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I dont remember that boss, was that after the "Half way point"? I fell off quick after that.

Yeah quite a bit after.

I actually haven't gone back to the game since this boss. I beat this boss and then put the game down (because of the headache at the time).

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I hate anything that reverses my controls so this would be the hardest fight in the game for me.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was one of the easiest boss of the game (what a game BTW ! Felications à mes cousins Québécois). I think I did it first try.

Edit: oh it's about photo sensitivity, can't say I remember that, but that has never been an issue to me, sorry to hear OP.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't enjoy this boss much. Reversed controls + insta-death on falling into pits is a terrible combination.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I died far too many times to that boss. Reversing the controls plus forgetting to jump was terrible. I thought it was cheap. While the flashing didn't bother me, it's something the devs should have taken into account for people who are sensitive to it.

And I got frustrated by the relay race in the DLC so I gave up on it. Although the totem pole boss took me something like 30+ tries to finally beat. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and don't have the patience for games as I once used to.