• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reirom

Nov 3, 2017
Liked metroidvania part 2 like i said Many resetera eras here have shit taste game like this need a sequel Anyone know the Sales are good ?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just heard about this game because of Kinda Funny, a cursory look says it's coming to PS4 at some point this year. Have there been any updates on that?

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I just heard about this game because of Kinda Funny, a cursory look says it's coming to PS4 at some point this year. Have there been any updates on that?
I'm wondering the same thing. Seems like it was planned for PS4 but hard to find anything current about it. Maybe Switch has it console exclusive or something?

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
Is it me or is the game timer bugged? I loaded my save yesterday and it said 21 hours which seemed kinda high, and now I just finished the game and my save says 5 hours which seems really low.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The performance issues are quite annoying. The game always starts to stutter if you've been playing consecutively for any decent amount of time and only putting the console on Sleep and resuming. So far I had to restart the software 3 times because it had started becoming sluggish. It's leaking something quite badly. I hope they end up patching this...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or is the game timer bugged? I loaded my save yesterday and it said 21 hours which seemed kinda high, and now I just finished the game and my save says 5 hours which seems really low.
I think the game has a lot of bugs.

I had a game breaking bug right before the part where the gameplay switches. Had to start all over.

Have to say the 2nd half of the game is kind of a drag compared to the first half. I am not feeling the metroidvania in this one. But still a few more things to get so I might change my mind by the end.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Reached the second half last night myself and feel I have the opposite feeling to a lot of criticisms. Really digging it a lot, especially with how it ties the world together with the two distinct time periods. Exploring the entire map feels way more fresh than I expected given a majority of re-traversal is entirely new content in the 'other' period with new challenges, routes, and obstacles.

You definitely aren't just aimlessly wandering through the same shit again, like hardly at all. Maybe a couple screens at most to suss out a traversal puzzle to reach an obvious map room you haven't explored yet. I am really digging it.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
?? No one is claiming the shopkeeper is based on Jordan Peterson. I agree - the bit in the game that references him is fairly innocuous, but the fact that the developers even put in the reference and attributed it to "Jordan the wise" is a tacit endorsement of his ideals. If I had known that a darling of the alt right got an homage in this game, I would not have bought it, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Jordan Peterson, darling of the alt-right? LMAO

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan Peterson, darling of the alt-right? LMAO

Yeah you're right, someone with a giant alt right fan base actually is not favored by the alt right. Got me!

DUjdL5dW0AUNuCI

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Bit late to the party but I finally started this today. Enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I've only done the first 4 levels so far, and I know the difficulty will no doubt ramp up soon which frankly terrifies me.

It's another one of those games that just looks perfect on the Switch screen.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah you're right, someone with a giant alt right fan base actually is not favored by the alt right. Got me!

DUjdL5dW0AUNuCI

I'm just going to take the L on this one. I'm not on social media or plugged into internet culture past what pops up on ERA, Kotaku, Waypoint podcasts, and other gaming outlets. After looking into it, fair enough.

I have listened to and read some of Peterson, and of all the unflattering things I could say about him and his ideas, that he is on the alt-right is not a conclusion I would draw.

If you really want to boycott or otherwise take umbrage with a game because of a possible Easter Egg referencing a person who is in dialogue with people attracted to the alt-right ideology with the stated intention of de-radicalizing them, be my guest.

I think you're missing out on a great game.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that is the one where you need the item
boots that let you run on water/lava
. If you have those, it should be straightforward.

Yeah, I have those. I'm in the area, I even paid for the hint (something I haven't done up to this point). I have absolutely no idea how to access the part of the Underworld the game is telling me to go to.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have those. I'm in the area, I even paid for the hint (something I haven't done up to this point). I have absolutely no idea how to access the part of the Underworld the game is telling me to go to.

Trying to recall from memory...I sort of remember accessing the area from a unique location.
Did you talk to the two ogre bosses in the 8-bit past(after bringing them a certain item?)

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to recall from memory...I sort of remember accessing the area from a unique location.
Did you talk to the two ogre bosses in the 8-bit past(after bringing them a certain item?)

lol I figured it out. There was a room on the map I hadn't visited yet and my eyes kept glancing over it for some reason haha

Thanks for your help!

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm two notes in to the Metroidvania section and I'm finding it legitimately hard to find the motivation to finish right now. Backtracking isn't fun enough, and I've yet to receive anything meaningful since starting this section. If the game ended before this section began, it'd be an indie GOTY contender. Now it's just a top 5 or top 10 of the year for me.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm two notes in to the Metroidvania section and I'm finding it legitimately hard to find the motivation to finish right now. Backtracking isn't fun enough, and I've yet to receive anything meaningful since starting this section. If the game ended before this section began, it'd be an indie GOTY contender. Now it's just a top 5 or top 10 of the year for me.

Yep, agree.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The backtracking is a bit frustrating, especially if you're going for 100%, but some of the game's best moments (including the two best bosses) happen during the second half of the game. And the final level is awesome.

I love levels that sync the music and stage hazards together

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering why my game timer said I'd played for 6 hours already... after only beating the first boss. LOL

I had a weird graphical issue where I fell in water and he didn't go into his swimming animation. He just sat there in a static falling frame and then into a single standing frame when he touched the bottom. So weird. Getting lots of bugs related to overall polish, but none of them game-breaking... yet.

Also wish the font was double its current size. It's a bit too small IMO in handheld mode.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game last night with 100% completion. Absolutely loved it. The final boss and level were both so cool. Easily one of my favorites of the year and one of my favorite Switch games overall.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my death count is somewhere in the 270's, but at least the checkpoints are aplenty so I'm never bothered so much about retrying.

I wish there were more checkpoints!

For some reason I was really struggling with that lady boss in the woods (who jumps from hook to hook above you), but then found the two ogres who are guarding their soup really easy. I realise this is early game stuff so you may not remember.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus climbing up this snowy mountain is making me feel as stressed as when I did it on Celeste.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Since we are talking about Deaths, anything in particular happen if you don't die and beat the game? I imagine some cutscenes would change if you never become a customer of Quarble.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Since we are talking about Deaths, anything in particular happen if you don't die and beat the game? I imagine some cutscenes would change if you never become a customer of Quarble.
There's an achievement and presumably a slight script change if you don't die before meeting a certain someone, but I'm sure you can figure out who that is if you've played very far.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
This game has a big memory leak problem on the Switch. The more often you die, the worse the framerate gets in certain areas. It's especially noticeable in areas with a lot of moving objects on the screen. I had a huge problem with a certain area with a power seal because the slowdowns impacted the control scheme leading to me dying a lot, but once I effectively flushed the game from memory by closing it and booting it up again, the slowdowns were gone and I got the power seal in one try.

This needs to be fixed...

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it 100% myself just now and really enjoyed it. Wasn't really bothered by the open-world shift at all and felt it was pretty straight-forward and offered lots of new content to see. To the point that you barely feel like you are backtracking much outside of a few quest needs. The progression just felt smooth for me.

Some of the bosses may have been given too much health though.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This game has a big memory leak problem on the Switch. The more often you die, the worse the framerate gets in certain areas. It's especially noticeable in areas with a lot of moving objects on the screen. I had a huge problem with a certain area with a power seal because the slowdowns impacted the control scheme leading to me dying a lot, but once I effectively flushed the game from memory by closing it and booting it up again, the slowdowns were gone and I got the power seal in one try.

This needs to be fixed...

Yup I've been saying this a lot. How in hell did this get past Nintendo's certification process? They're getting soft...

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
So I am at the last boss fight I guess? I'm surprised it felt like I had a huge journey at first but all of a sudden it looks like end game. I have only about 70 deaths so far... O_o

Anyway so this boss is the first one that really annoyed me. I have his 1st pattern down and can dodge almost everything, but I can only ever hit him a couple of times and then he just repeats his pattern and I just have to dodge for what feels like 2 minutes. But then the 2nd phase shit gets real and I get destroyed so quick I'm barely able to learn the new attacks. So I'm dead quickly, have to do the whole 1st phase again... This is gonna be a grind... And then this monk said it's only his turn? But there are 3 monks so this thing has 2 additional forms then?? God damn...

Also I feel like I messed up by picking the wrong upgrade. I wanted the "damage over 2 reduced by 1" but didn't have enough money to buy it. I think it would help a lot but that upgrade is like 1000 bucks and I have like 50 and I'm right at the boss. >_>

Jul 20, 2018
So I am at the last boss fight I guess? I'm surprised it felt like I had a huge journey at first but all of a sudden it looks like end game. I have only about 70 deaths so far... O_o

Anyway so this boss is the first one that really annoyed me. I have his 1st pattern down and can dodge almost everything, but I can only ever hit him a couple of times and then he just repeats his pattern and I just have to dodge for what feels like 2 minutes. But then the 2nd phase shit gets real and I get destroyed so quick I'm barely able to learn the new attacks. So I'm dead quickly, have to do the whole 1st phase again... This is gonna be a grind... And then this monk said it's only his turn? But there are 3 monks so this thing has 2 additional forms then?? God damn...

Also I feel like I messed up by picking the wrong upgrade. I wanted the "damage over 2 reduced by 1" but didn't have enough money to buy it. I think it would help a lot but that upgrade is like 1000 bucks and I have like 50 and I'm right at the boss. >_>

Try jumping into his hands when he swipes them across the stage.

And this isn't the last boss lol.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I am at the last boss fight I guess? I'm surprised it felt like I had a huge journey at first but all of a sudden it looks like end game.

haha

You can do so much damage to this boss by attacking, using the cloud jump, attacking, cloud jump, rinse, repeat. He can be defeated very quickly and easily. If you're good enough, you'll be in the air attacking him during a large portion of his ground attacks.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018