• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I think the wider issue is that there is a very narrow scope of right and wrong here, and anyone or anything that steps outside of that gets attacked.

There is very little room for people to have a view, or views, that even slightly deviates from the Resetera path, that isn't healthy IMO.

That and the really wonky moderation.

Would you care to illustrate this some more?

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
There is no joy in this place. Anything good is hacked to death by people looking to discredit the people involved for past transgressions. Anything bad is lamented like the end of days with people making wild, ridiculously hyperbolic statements. Everyone seems miserable. People are walking on eggshells all the time knowing that wrong one step means a ban.
This isn't remotely my experience of ResetEra.

Starshaped

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
I personally think that banning thread titles such as this one would be a good idea:

"Trump loyalist and 'Pray against HIV' nutjob to become head of Americas Covid-19 response"

Is it true? well yeah. But if someone who's already having a hard time sees something like that, it's not going to help things.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I know that communities exist in which reaching out will result in being told to kill yourself (Ironically! It's funny, right!?)

So yeah, Era really ain't doing that bad.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
There is no joy in this place. Anything good is hacked to death by people looking to discredit the people involved for past transgressions. Anything bad is lamented like the end of days with people making wild, ridiculously hyperbolic statements. Everyone seems miserable. People are walking on eggshells all the time knowing that wrong one step means a ban.
Accurate. It's sad to see.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I see this thread is already turning into veiled whining about cancel culture.

May 25, 2019
London
I'm glad somebody made this thread because I've been thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if its because gaming communities and forums aggregate video game players, who often can turn to gaming for the escapism it offers.

I'm really not sure what the actions should be here. Maybe a private forum where some people can air out what's really on their mind/causing them to feel this way without being afraid that it's going to get found by random people passing by.

Oct 27, 2017
Making a sticky mental health thread with suicide hotlines and so on isn't going to work. If you're posting a thread on here about killing yourself, you're doing it because, I assume, on some level you're doing that cliche cry for help and you want some interaction, some help, some immediate human contact which a sticky thread isn't going to provide.

If they're at this low point point I can't see these users hitting a sticky thread and silently taking the advice within.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Oh yes I see we have the "it's because Era will attack you for not being morally perfect" narrative already fighting for prominence in here

I do echo the idea of sticking the mental health OT to the front page. But maybe we should do more?
Do more to do what?

Are you actually trying to bait him?

You know fine well if he tries to tell you specific views that deviate from the path he's likely to get banned.
Oh get the hell over yourself.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the wider issue is that there is a very narrow scope of right and wrong here, and anyone or anything that steps outside of that gets attacked.

There is very little room for people to have a view, or views, that even slightly deviates from the Resetera path, that isn't healthy IMO.

Clearly we need more threads about shower pooping to brighten this place up a bit.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
This forum's strength is that its posters are willing to talk to and help people who are feeling suicidal thoughts.

I don't see how that is a bad thing or a danger, so long as the mods keep weeding out the trolls.

There aren't a lot of anonymous outlets for people who are feeling lost and hopeless to reach out to.

The mods here have a lot of responsibility with it. But they seem up to the task.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
It's a community that I feel unfortunately prides itself in basking in negativity, and most of the positivity comes from hyping themselves up for things that don't end up happening, which continues the cycle.
I feel like I recognise this. This board, be it Etcetera or Gaming, does often feel like an echo chamber where the focus on the negative of everything far outweights any focus on positive developments, and when something positive seems to develop, it gets hype trained to expectations that cannot be possibly matched to reality, resulting in even deeper negativity. If you're already feeling isolated from your real life social life, having this place as your main source of your world view can't be a good thing. As supportive as this board can be at times, I feel it would be helpful if troubled posters would spend less time here and spend that energy seeking help in the real world, obviously like therapy but also important, a social circle they can get support from and have positive interactions with.

In short, I believe this community could help by encouraging people to find likeminded people in the outside world and maybe give less the vibe that it's the last safe space available.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I've been thinking about this since the weekend but I'm not sure if I should make a thread or not. Sticking the mental health OT is a good start.

That said, I think we have enough fun and entertaining threads around. It's not all about negativity.

I tend to stay way from US political news, so I can't relate to how bad it is over there.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
or you know, people actually go see real therapists in real life.

Why should mods take on any of that responsibility?

They shouldn't, and that's why you might want a mental health professional on staff. So that individuals can be given advice from an authority, like 'Here's how you can get in contact with a therapist', 'Here's who you can call'.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

To help the people of our community who are having a rough time?

I don't mean this as a personal responsibility of any sorts, but I'm sure there are active members here who wouldn't mind helping out other members who are going through something? What do you think?

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Derailing a serious discussion with insensitive and inflammatory commentary over a series of posts in this thread. History of dismissive behaviour.

Agreed, and I see the usual people are already out for your blood.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (6 Months): Derailing a serious discussion with insensitive and inflammatory commentary over a series of posts in this thread. History of hijacking sensitive topics with complaints of cancel culture.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't, and that's why you might want a mental health professional on staff. So that individuals can be given advice from an authority, like 'Here's how you can get in contact with a therapist', 'Here's who you can call'.
on staff? What exactly do you think Era is?

There are plenty of people in these threads that help out OP, a lot of times the OP is already getting help or is not willing to get any. A mod telling OP what they've heard a million times isn't gonna help shit.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's always been this way. Whether at the old place or here, it's just an inevitable part of the culture of the site. It naturally attracts lonely, depressed people who have no other place to express these feelings. I don't think there exists any effective solution as far as the site is concerned when ultimately it's up to the users making the threads to go out and seek help themselves

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
This forum thrives on negativity. Also the bubble effect only surrounded by the same type of comments fuel increased tension and depression. I frequent a few different forums and this place is something else.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Cancel culture is problematic.
So is taking a thread about concerns regarding suicidal users and using it as a springboard to whine about cancel culture on the forum for the nth time. Which is actually just whining about people talking negatively about celebrities on a forum than actual cancel culture and harassment.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The absolute lack of self-awareness it requires to go to a thread about the mental health issues in a community and hijack it to whine about cancel culture and heavy moderation. Clowns.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, we should consider whether the entire site needs to be dragged down by people's negative posting habits.

Other users have suggested stickying the mental health thread. Not a bad idea but I'd take it a step further. It would be great if we could have subcommunities or master threads for all of the most common depressing topics.

Some of us don't want to be constantly reminded that the world, the US, and people's personal lives are brimming with misery and hopelessness.

Yeah, I think the structure of EtcetEra is an issue. I think it would be better split into two - Entertainment and World News. As it stands the same place you visit to hear about the latest James Bond trailer is also the place where you're reminded the world is terrible.

That would also make it less of a miscellaneous pool of everything that isn't about games. So hopefully mental health or relationship discussion would firmly find its place in those threads.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To help the people of our community who are having a rough time?

I don't mean this as a personal responsibility of any sorts, but I'm sure there are active members here who wouldn't mind helping out other members who are going through something? What do you think?
I refrain from answering to those topics as I don't want to hurt anyone by accident, or even worse make them hurt themselves, but I read them often to see if there's something I could do.

I feel like most of the people posting threads like those have something in common: loneliness.

Maybe Era could host some events on games or whatever to help people feel included, secure, and most of all to enable them to talk casually with some other people, even if it was with strangers ?

I feel like giving people having personal issues the possibility of engaging with others could help, as it would maybe create some nice friendships and make them feel like they are part of a real community instead of just a bunch of strangers that happen to post on the same forum.

EDIT: also this:
Yeah, I think the structure of EtcetEra is an issue. I think it would be better split into two - Entertainment and World News. As it stands the same place you visit to hear about the latest James Bond trailer is also the place where you're reminded the world is terrible.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
If someone had really decided to end their life they wouldn't be posting about it here. I agree the forum being open to the conversation might be a good thing.
I agree. Which is why i'm really sceptical about keeping those threads open.

If someone wants to talk about their problems i have no problem with it but i think these 'i'm gonna end it tonight' threads are not good for the community.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

That would also make it less of a miscellaneous pool of everything that isn't about games. So hopefully mental health or relationship discussion would firmly find its place in those threads.
I'd be all for this.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is taking a thread about concerns regarding suicidal users and using it as a springboard to whine about cancel culture on the forum for the nth time. Which is actually just whining about people talking negatively about celebrities on a forum than actual cancel culture and harassment.

People have actually committed suicide because of cancel culture so this runs deeper than celebrities.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
From where I sit, the atmosphere of this forum (general discussion) is often times dark, depressing, heavy, and even oppressive. There's no shortage of bad stuff happening outside, but it feels like all of it has to be shared here. Cynical as it gets.

Sometimes I have to dip, or chance having my day ruined by Resetera threads.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Which is why i'm really sceptical about keeping those threads open.

If someone wants to talk about their problems i have no problem with it but i think these 'i'm gonna end it tonight' threads are not good for the community.
That's what's called a cry for help. Close those threads and very bad things could happen.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Derailing a serious discussion with insensitive and inflammatory commentary over a series of posts in this thread. History of infractions for insensitive commentary.
I agree that threads should be locked as soon as possible. No need to keep them around. Honestly, I just ignore them as they pop up and if someone keeps doing it I put them on my ignore list.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
There definitely has been an uptick in suicide threads and just overall negativity in this community lately, it really has been concerning. Negativity thanks to social media and current events is everywhere but it's definitely been super focused here.

Really wish people could see the value of it being OK to disconnect once and a while. Everyone needs a mental break here and there.

Yeah it's made me in general really back off from social media I'm tired of the constant shit every single day, there is only so much I can be informed about the world before it starts killing you from all the negativity.

Yeah it really makes you wonder if we should really have all this access to this stuff overloading us. I don't even want to know what it's like being a young developing teen in this day and age of social media/constant connectivity. I see news of kids under 10 having depression and everything. I can't imagine being that young and already having such a negative outlook on life already.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see exactly what you mean, OP, and I'm fairly certain it crossed a lot people's minds seeing these threads and their recurrence. I don't know that a forum mod could or should do anything, in the sense that the most sensible course of action is to talk to professionals trained to deal with this.

Also, I really don't think people should hijack the serious issue of negativity and its mental health effects to settle their beef with moderation. But hey, when trans people and other marginalized group expressed how uncomfortable they felt, and why, even that was hijacked with bullshit hivemind posts, so idk.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I agree that threads should be locked as soon as possible. No need to keep them around. Honestly, I just ignore them as they pop up and if someone keeps doing it I put them on my ignore list.
Curious as to why you think locking threads and ignoring cries for help is the solution?

May 25, 2019
London

I like this suggestion. When I'm trying to find the NFL OT on Sundays I don't need to read the sixteen Trump threads that pop up every day.

Also, maybe we can just have a Trump OT? It overwhelms EtcetEra at times

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Mental health is such a complex thing that it's difficult to diagnose why. And every person is obviously unique.

One thing that is a good sign is that people do feel safe to ask for help.

I personally think it's a wider problem in society. Increased loneliness, lack of support, generational issues (student loans, underemployment), a dearth of physical community.

Online bullying is also a huge problem and suicide rates with teens is increasing. It's a wider scale problem than we think.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Forging bonds with people outside of Era can certainly help. While I know that can be difficult for a lot of the types that congregate here, having a safety net of friends you can rely on in your life is vital and will help way more than any forum can. That and therapy.

Whatever we can do, I think we should do something because it seems to be a bit recursive.

Status
Not open for further replies.