• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are half of you going on about? The graphics and animation look fine lol. Looks like a fun game, look forward to it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Man this looks rough, is it a budget title? Cause those animations and graphics are not very good even by last gen standards.
It's a game from a smaller studio that was made out to be one of the "bigger" early Xbox Series X exclusives. I guess people just got a bit too excited and it's an unfair burden on the game. Good thing it's on Gamepass so more people will try it. It also doesn't help that it was seen as a spiritual Silent Hill successor by some, even with the original composer on board.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
What are half of you going on about? The graphics and animation look fine lol. Looks like a fun game, look forward to it.

It's not AAA, so I mean, a lot of people are going to hate on it lol. But I agree, I think for the budget and scope, it looks quite good. I'm more worried about moment to moment gameplay once the game gets going, since I haven't liked most of Bloober's output.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Doesn't look too hot to be honest.
I'm a bit worried that "mediocre" or "not quite AAA" is the new standard for brand new, for Game Pass, developed titles.

Like The Outer Worlds, which was good but far from what it could have been. It's maybe wrong but I feel, it's just a feeling, that games made for being in Game Pass on day one, seem to have development limitations. I don't know why but besides some rare exceptions, none of them are really outstanding GOTY material.
The Outer Worlds wasn't even published by Microsoft, and was a late moneyhat to get it on the service day one. Wasn't a game "made for Game Pass".

The Medium wouldn't be any different regardless of its GP moneyhatting. Did you not play Bloober's previous games? This has by far the highest production values of any of them. Layers of Fear, Observer, Blair Witch, all basically indie+ games that are common in the PC space.

MS is going to be moneyhatting indie and AA games for day one release until their studios are outputting consistently in a year or so.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
This game doesn't have a AAA budget and isn't even full price, why is everyone expecting the second coming of Jesus.

It's probably the best looking game of its scope out there.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit worried that "mediocre" or "not quite AAA" is the new standard for brand new, for Game Pass, developed titles.

Like The Outer Worlds, which was good but far from what it could have been. It's maybe wrong but I feel, it's just a feeling, that games made for being in Game Pass on day one, seem to have development limitations. I don't know why but besides some rare exceptions, none of them are really outstanding GOTY material.

Bloober has never made outstanding goty material. Most of their games aren't even very good.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

Neither of those games were made FOR game pass. Game pass lives rent free in peoples heads.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a lot of people thought this was going to be a AAA game. This looks about what I expected it to look like.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017

Why would you focus on Gamepass and not the developer's pedigree? This is in line with their past titles.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Jesus Christ.
I should keep this thread ready next time someone pops up under a Jim Sterling thread to say gamers aren't the ones demanding inflated budgets for games.

this isn't an AAA game. It was developed with a fraction of the budget devoted to stuff like Demons souls or Gears 5. It also isn't 'made for Gamepass'. Neither was Outer Worlds, for that matter. The major 'development limitation' was budget.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

"Made for gamepass" WTF does that even mean?!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Was never sure why people were so excited about this title. I've never seen a really good game out of Bloober (Some interesting ideas, but always executed in a somewhat janky way).

But I do hope this exceeds their past games.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Don't know why people seem to want to link the game scope/budget to gamepass when bloober has always made smaller scale games? This game actually looks a huge step up from their earlier work both in scale and graphically, keep an open mind ffs. Again, imo the game seems more a modern take on old school / retro fixed camera horror games.
In an era with inflated game budgets and risk aversion due to those budget it good to see smaller developers take a risk.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
The animation/character quality isn't surprising, it's a AA game from a small team. With this also being their first 3rd person game, at least environments look great graphically with nice atmosphere. I don't know why IGN is so incapable of good capture quality tho.

Last edited:

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
When they said they were aiming for a SH spiritual successor, I was expecting that it would be in atmosphere, but looks like they only managed to put that in controls that looks from an early 3D PS1 game.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Don't know why people seem to want to link the game scope/budget to gamepass when bloober has always made smaller scale games? This game actually looks a huge step up from their earlier work both in scale and graphically, keep an open mind ffs. Again, imo the game seems more a modern take on old school / retro fixed camera horror games.
In an era with inflated game budgets and risk aversion due to those budget it good to see smaller developers take a risk.

No reason for the imo, they've been pretty explicit about that being what they are trying to do. And I agree. A lot of people on ERA are very hard on AA games. You can tell a lot posting here have really bought into the 'it's either AAA or cheap indie, nothing more and nothing less' mentality.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No reason for the imo, they've been pretty explicit about that being what they are trying to do. And I agree. A lot of people on ERA are very hard on AA games. You can tell a lot posting here have really bought into the 'it's either AAA or cheap indie, nothing more and nothing less' mentality.
Yep, constantly viewing things through a binary lens of extremes. No room for anything in-between. LOL

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The animation/character quality isn't surprising, it's a AA game from a small team. With this also being their first 3rd person game, at least environments look great graphically with nice atmosphere. I don't why IGN is so incapable of good capture quality tho.

Oh wow, I didn't realize this until you pointed it out. This is Bloober's first third-person game. Looks pretty good for that fact. Going from developing primarily in first person to third person is difficult.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This game doesn't have a AAA budget and isn't even full price, why is everyone expecting the second coming of Jesus.

It's probably the best looking game of its scope out there.
You aren't wrong though at the same tik.there are people spent alot of money on th system and probably looking for eom exclusives that really push the most powerful console, something like DS on the PS5 probably.

It also doesn't help that this was presented as a next-gen only title which probably resulted in eben higher expectations...as in this wouldn't be possible on the One X. So I can see why people expected to be a bit more wowed initially.

Plenty of AA games can look amazing nowadays see Plagues Tale or Hellblade. I still think it looks good enough though. These kind of games don't tend to get massive budgets anyway unless you are RE and Capcom.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Not seeing the main character reflected on anything, not even through SSR, sticks out against the generally believable environments.
Aside from that, I've been telling you people it would be a high 60/low 70 game:P

Curious to try it though, Gamepass is great

Jul 26, 2018
Not really, I mean something like A Plague Tale or Hellblade runs circles around this and those were AA games targeting early 2010s hardware

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
Some nice environment art. Semi static camera looks well implemented. Animation is a bit sub par.
Definitely worth playing on Game Pass.
It's going to get criticism because Colt and the gang have been over selling it as a big console exclusive and it doesn't compare well.

bug

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Paris
User Banned (3 weeks): Platform wars, trolling, prior infraction for similar behavior
It's OK, gamepass quality for the gamepass crowd.