• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Damn that's a shame, unfortunately a no buy because the combat is what I really want.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
While this is true we both know that video games traditionally have very clustered scores. These scores reflect some people really liking it, a bulk feeling okay about it and some people really hating it. So maybe it is more you may love it, are more likely to be okay with or might hate it. It is hard because video games traditionally have criticism that is seen through a very black and white lens with outlets being afraid to have nuance in their scores.

It just feels like this gets exaggerated a bit. I just went and looked at Maneater which has 11 90+ scores despite being a 72 rated game. Like has anyone actually gone and measured the standard deviation to make these statements?

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who finishes a game (especially on Gamepass) probably somewhat enjoyed it so they will give it a favorable review. Otherwise they would stop playing.
I see what you're doing, Bloober.
I finished Blair Witch and I thought the second half was complete garbage so that's a bit too general to apply to everyone the finishes the game.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It just feels like this gets exaggerated a bit. I just went and looked at Maneater which has 11 90+ scores despite being a 72 rated game. Like has anyone actually gone and measured the standard deviation to make these statements?
What site? Maneater has only two 90s for the PS4 version on Metacritic. https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/maneater/critic-reviews

To answer your question what I was saying is purely anecdotal and I would love to be proven wrong.

Jul 26, 2018
How massively the scores of horror games often vary between identical entries of the same game kind of supports what I was saying.
They were talking about the same game having different metascores because of different amount of scores for individual platforms. Opencritic combines all scores for all platforms. That's why Metacritic has cyberpunk at 87ish and then 50s for PS4/X1 and Opencritic it's just a 75 for everything... Don't know if you quoted the wrong post or...

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
They were talking about the same game having different metascores because of different amount of scores for individual platforms. Opencritic combines all scores for all platforms. That's why Metacritic has cyberpunk at 87ish and then 50s for PS4/X1 and Opencritic it's just a 75 for everything... Don't know if you quoted the wrong post or...
The OpenCritic score of Cyberpunk is not useful because of this. Combining platform scores probably makes sense most of the time but it really should be done on a case by case basis.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
DY1z5esX4AEUXTn.jpg

We swimmin in 7s baby
Technically, we seem to be swimming in 8s (the modal score), which is probably about the best I could have hoped for.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Is the PC port as big of a mess as people are saying? Hearing that it drops down to 15fps at times on a 3080 and high end CPU/SSD and stuttering regardless of overall FPS (unreal engine issue for sure if true, seen it loads of times before, poor framepacing.)

Blair Witch was pretty awful as a port on PC as well and was and still is, riddled with stuttering for me on my 3080.

L337Sauce

Oct 4, 2019
Scrolled through some reviews looking for an average completion time but didn't see anything. Does anybody have a rough estimate?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The deeper I read into the reviews, the more concerned I am. Seems like Bloober once again delivered a challenge-less horror game that's basically a haunted house ride with solid scares but very little stakes. I've seen this complaint for the first Layers of Fear and it's still prevalent years after.

The Medium always looked like those adventure style environment tour puzzle games, hasn't it?
Seems the Silent Hill label being thrown around this game hasn't done it much favor for expectations.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Yea hyped for Village. Almost thinking of grabbing Evil Within 2 because I really need something similar right now. I liked the 1st one but for some reason skipped the 2nd when it launched.

You should totally get Evil Within 2, I enjoyed a lot more than the first one, gameplay is so much more refined in it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The Medium always looked like those adventure style environment tour puzzle games, hasn't it?
Seems the Silent Hill label being thrown around this game hasn't done it much favor for expectations.

Yeah, everything we've seen has been more puzzles and adventure game like. The comparison to Silent Hill and Resident Evil was always more about the presentation and stuff: the fixed camera angles, the tone, etc. They never really tried to portray the game would actually play anything like those, but I get where people ran with it if you didn't actually follow what they were showing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I sorta lost interest in this when they revealed there wouldn't be combat. Bloober should do a proper survival horror game next.

Apr 24, 2018
I was expecting high 7s for this game and it still seems like most reviews place it around that. At a glance, it appears that it's a few outlier scores that are woefully low dragging it into a low 7 overall. Still excited to play what in my mind is the first true next gen title for Series X, though, and since its on Game Pass, really no reason not to give it a fair shake!

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

I'm glad you mentioned this, I was going to say it as well. You see the same score distribution for comedic films. If the jokes don't land, then the movie is like a 2/10 for you. Nothing can really "save" it. A comedy that didn't make you laugh just can't score well with you specifically.

The same goes for a horror product that didn't scare you.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Whats weird to me isn't a few reviews being all over the place, its the outliers praising the pacing in the high reviews and bashing it in the low reviews.

Oct 28, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yea hyped for Village. Almost thinking of grabbing Evil Within 2 because I really need something similar right now. I liked the 1st one but for some reason skipped the 2nd when it launched.
Second is very different, it has some small open-world sryle maps to roam around in and explore, and some fo the exploration is really cool. You can pick it up really cheap now, I think it definitely might scratch thst itch.

Or replay Dead Space gams like I am!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, what? I've been planning all day to play this tonight in like 2 hours... I even took off of work tomorrow so that I could stay up late playing. God damnit.

I feel like they just threw together that graphic at the last minute. Wrong EST date, "RELESASE DATE", etc..

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe somewhat of an inherit bias in the review scores, which could lead to the difference of 7 points in the Meta Score? Especially when 3/4 of the scores are from Xbox centric sites. It goes both ways for both systems.
Even if there was inherit bias, it's not like the game was exclusive to Xbox. It doesn't make any sense that they'd score it higher.

Oct 28, 2017
Even if there was inherit bias, it's not like the game was exclusive to Xbox. It doesn't make any sense that they'd score it higher.

I agree, it isn't an exclusive, and there shouldn't be bias. But they are still reviewing the Xbox Version of the game on an Xbox Site, so it's not like that is out of the realm of possibilities. And if you want to look at the Medium, 3 of the top 6 highest scores for the Medium are from 3 of these same sites that scored Observer so well. I mean, the PlayStation sites do the same thing.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Gonna pick this up, I just really hope it's scary

Edit: Ah what a load of shit, gotta wait til 12pm to play it

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So no midnight then eh? Well that is a bummer.