• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I never had much confidence in the team and expected high 60s to low 70s. However, I just watched the Digital Foundry video and I'm definitely interested enough to give it a shot. I also was under the impression it would feature awkward tank controls combat but seems apart from some stealth and chase sequences it isn't an action game at all (I'm sure I would have noticed if I had paid attention earlier but I didn't)

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Time to bring out the scale:

kj3gFME.jpg
OC has a recommended number. I think that shows better how a game is received. It's at 55%. Don't consider this good, not okay, but mediocre, underwhelming.

I still remember how i even gave 6 and 7 out of 10 games a chance, since..... well it is still good in regards to the review scale, but when we have to bring out a recommended number in order to translate reviews that are written and what a 7 / 10 actually means.

You kinda lost me on that note :P

But yeah a 55% is not good.
But a 7 / 10 is.

I am still baffled that we have a metacritic of low 70% and that is translated into a 55% in Opencritic.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Do i have to wait for the EDGE review in order to read an honest take on this game ?

Seems like they at least use the full scale. I know some hate them for giving beloved games a lower score, but i prefer it over everyone just giving every game an 8 or 9.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this getting a fairly positive response.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been cautiously optimistic about this game and the reviews are actually better than I thought they would be given the studio who was making it and the scope of the game.

I would have played it anyways thanks to gamepass but just a tad more excited about it now.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty pleased/impressed with what I'm reading. ESPECIALLY that it's using narrative and circumstantial tension/horror/dread in place of the cheap scares so much of the genre tends to lean hard on. I'm betting there'll be some disagreement as more reviews come through, but enough writers so far think the split-world mechanics pay off, when they aren't underplayed.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
incredible. 9 points is the difference between GOTY and shit game.

dont think anyone called the game shit, lol

9 points is a pretty big difference in gaming journalism however. there is a reason why metacritic "green zone" is more loose for films and tighter for games - games seem to have a much higher "starting score" if they are at least functional.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Do i have to wait for the EDGE review in order to read an honest take on this game ?

Seems like they at least use the full scale. I know some hate them for giving beloved games a lower score, but i prefer it over everyone just giving every game an 8 or 9.
What is it about these reviews that aren't honest?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I couldn't care less about the reviews. I played Blair Witch and while it's an OK game, what really made it fun was just playing it with some friends around. I intend to do the same with this (eventually).

TBH in the 70s average is quite expected for a horror game. Horror will almost always be polarizing. Hopefully some of the technical issues get ironed out soon.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Some great scores.

Another example of a game I mostkmelt wouldn't have played without Gamepass.

Can't wait to play this over the weekend.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Review are all over the place ! Will wait a little more to make my mind around it, but i'll not jump on it right now.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Sounds like Bloober through and through. I was hoping they would break that ceiling they have. Maybe next time.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
So it's a streamlined/linear horror game that isn't overly scary with simplistic puzzles.
The gameplay seems to be very average with a decent story.. Not too bad I guess.

The bugs like auto-save not loading correctly and the game refusing to progress because you solved a puzzle in the wrong order are a bit worrying.

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl
Love the people who were never going to play it chime in and try to bring it down, anyways looks ok I don't have a series x yet but will give it a try when I eventually do.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, it's included in my game pass subscription, it has the Silent Hill composer and it's got some decent reviews. Why wouldn't I play it???

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Zoes Eurogamer Review mentions that

How in the Game you see the Vision of a man who sexually assaulted a young girl and instead of seeing the girls perspective of that event you see how the man got also assaulted as a child. The Protagonist apparently isn't sympathetic towards the man, but still...

The Execution of that sounds super sloppy, i think i am not gonna play that ever.

Can anyone who played/reviewed the game confirm if this is true and/or a correct reading of what happened?
The Guardian review says that there is some tone-deaf stuff in the plot.
SPOILERS REGARDING THIS ASPECT OF THE GAME
So yeah, those topics are in the game. And you do get to see the "justification" from the man who commits the assault. You're in his spirit, so of course that's what you see. And sure, he didn't have a great childhood himself. But the protagonist does specifically calls him out on it, and says that's absolutely no excuse.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Destructoid - 6

www.destructoid.com

Review: The Medium

I wanted more from the split-reality premise of The Medium. I wanted stakes. If it felt threatening, I'd have a very different outlook.

The Medium took me almost exactly eight hours to finish, and I got most but not all of the optional lore collectibles. While one playthrough was plenty for me, I'm still dwelling on the bigger picture and how everything fits together. Poland is an interesting historical backdrop, one that doesn't feel like an afterthought. And even though this is largely Marianne's personal story – much more than expected – it does ultimately branch out. If you care to look, there are world-building dots to consider and connect.

I wanted a whole lot more from the split-reality premise, though. I wanted higher stakes. Tension. If this game felt threatening, I'd have a very different outlook. As is, I think it's decent. Enjoyable enough.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
Time to bring out the scale:

kj3gFME.jpg

I usually give a try to games that are on radar which go in the 7 range, but this review scale is pretty on point. lmao
I wonder if the fact that this is a Gamespass more like a "free game" will change this scale (I don't think it will).

Xbox needs a hit so that it encourages people to get in Gamespass and this isn't it. I guess they will put all their eggs on Halo.
I might play this on PC though, maybe... if I have time...

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Surprising split scores, but Eurogamer, PC gamer, and Gamespot all liked it. That's a greenlight for me.