• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
About in line with my expectations. I'll certainly give it a fair shake thanks to gamepass.

EDIT: In that reviews are mixed. Certainly didn't expect the high end scores its getting - good to see it appears to be a narrative success

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Be warned that performance is not that great on PC, even without the Ray Tracing effects.

www.dsogaming.com

The Medium cannot run with constant 60fps on the RTX3080, even at 1080p/High/RT Off settings

There are numerous scenes in which The Medium drops below 60fps on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080, even at 1080p/High settings and without any Ray Tracing effects.

Eeesh. I'm guessing optimization issues or just the nature of how they put it together?

Jan 4, 2018
Gameblog.fr : 8/10
www.gameblog.fr

TEST de The Medium : Une bonne exclusivité pour votre Xbox Series X|S ?

The Medium devrait envahir le disque dur de vos rutilantes Xbox Series X et S dès ce jeudi 28 janvier 2021. Nous avons a eu la chance de pouvoir nous y plonger tout le week-end. Alors, tient-on là un des fers de lance des débuts des nouvelles machines de Microsoft, The Medium y étant disponible...

Jeuxvideo.com : 7/10
www.jeuxvideo.com

Test du jeu The Medium

La Bloober Team (studios polonais derrière Layers of Fear, Observer et Blair Witch) poursuit avec The Medium son périple horrifique entamé en 2016. Ce thriller psychologique et surnaturel porte sur ses épaules le statut de première véritable exclusivité Microsoft destinée aux Xbox Series X/S...

Jeux Video Magazine : 7,5/10
www.youtube.com

THE MEDIUM : Le GRAND TEST ! 🔥 Alors, que vaut la première exclu Xbox de 2021 ?

Hello la team, et voilà notre test de The Medium ! Alors, le titre du studio Bloober Team est-il une bonne exclusivité pour les consoles Xbox Series et le PC...

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a Bloober game lol.
Yep. I loved Observer but knew its rough edges (and story that just derailed itself in the end) would make it unpalatable for most. I think the same will be true here but that's fine for me.

Looking forward to cracking into it this weekend. Have had it preloaded on XSX for a few weeks now.

Oh no, what happened to Karak resulting in a ban? I usually really like ACG reviews.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
So its getting the expected 7s with the outliers loving it instead of hating it

Good enough for me

The game is totally dependent on what you're hoping for. Are you wanting excellent gameplay? You're going to be let down. Are you in it for the story? You're going to love it.

I'll take story over gameplay for horror any day

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
When does the game unlock on Game Pass? Later tonight (eastern time) or at midnight?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 on Gamekult
To fully appreciate The Medium, you have to get rid of an idea that the communication around the title may have put in your head: it is not a survival horror. Survival here is not particularly grueling, and you're unlikely to let panicked squeals escape you. Your neighbors can sleep soundly. The old foxes, skilled at the best dodging techniques, rationing resources and solving twisted puzzles, will have no trouble walking to the end credits. But that's not what the Bloober Team's latest achievement relies on to convince. The Medium is a journey behind the scenes, an incursion into what individual and collective traumas produce the most monstrous. And the title uses multiple narrative strings to tell its many stories. Here the Bloober Team demonstrates its talents in constructing a vast narrative, much of it based on environmental narrative. Above all, the studio takes us on a contemplative journey through worlds tortured and perverted by suffering. The Medium is an undeniable artistic and narrative success, which is served by a very good production, despite some inevitable technical concessions during the split-screen sequences.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Here is my review in portuguese for Echo Boomer:
echoboomer.pt

Análise - The Medium

Com um conceito tão interessante como a possibilidade de viajar e controlar ações entre dois mundos em simultâneo, a nova aposta de horror da Bloober Team tem dificuldade em fazer justiça ao seu fantástico potencial.
Overall I enjoyed Mariannes journey, but there's a bit too much jank, and I feel there is too much missed opportunities, especially in the utilization of the two world mechanics. A little bit of freedom and more puzzles wouldn't hurt the experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I spoke too soon.

Still a 7 isn't bad at all. Tons of games that I love got that score and I enjoyed them way more that perfect score games.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The game is totally dependent on what you're hoping for. Are you wanting excellent gameplay? You're going to be let down. Are you in it for the story? You're going to love it.

That's good to hear. A good story with a short length of total gameplay that's what I like to hear for a horror game.

I will try this when it gets a big discount.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Polygon:

www.polygon.com

The Medium starts off personal and poignant, but ends in cliché

Bloober Team’s horror game gets bogged down by tired tropes

Eventually, The Medium abandons its surprisingly empathetic take on the afterlife altogether to become a thriller, which, while honing in on a single thread, ends up being shallow and disappointing. The twists aren't predictable but aren't shocking, either, and while the latter half of the game sets itself up as an intricate web of interconnected relationships and secrets, it teases out hidden identities and other twists for way longer than it took for me to figure them out, leaving me waiting for the story to catch up. By the time I'd rolled credits and began processing what had just happened, I realized I didn't have many plot points or striking moments to chew on.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are 37 reviews on Metacritic but only 2 listed in the OP? Any reason for not updating mazi?

In any case, I'll give this a go due to it being on Game Pass, but I'm not sure I'd have otherwise tried it. At the very least I'm intrigued by it, mostly due to the dual world stuff.

Edit: Looks like Mazi updated as I posted lol.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are all over the place but it's definitely getting good enough view for me to 100% dive in as soon as it's available. Excited to play this!

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty promising reviews!
Observer is the only Bloober game I've liked so far, but I liked it a lot so I'm looking forward to giving this one a shot.

There are 37 reviews on Metacritic but only 2 listed in the OP? Any reason for not updating mazi?
Looks like they were updating it as you posted lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This might be one of those games where a lot of reviewer criticisms are actually positives for my sensibilities. Happens all the time with RPGs and horror games.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
IGN - 8

www.ign.com

The Medium Review - IGN

Brilliantly paced and palpably tense, The Medium is a psychological horror adventure that’s all thriller and no filler.

Confirms Troy Baker is in it as well lol

It's more conv

Seems like it's good gameplay with a fantastic story then which sounds good for me.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Bummer about no combat. It was an opportunity to go full old school RE. Missed opportunity!

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Gamespot the only company to divisive scores hm... anyways about 75ish is what i expected and it seems to be in that line