• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I adore Beksinski but am kind of disappointed with Bloober's take on his style. There are aspects that are there like the pale yellow-orangish lighting, but the geometric detail is severely lacking and doesn't evoke the same sort of complexity found in his work.
Had no idea of the artist inspiration. Looking through his works now I think Bloober did well in mimicing, but definitely could've gone much further with it in terms of color use and creature design.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I think I hit a game breaking bug. On the way to the red house you are supposed to lift yourself up a little mud patch under the bridge. I can't get past that=\

Same thing is happening to me. Did you find a way to progress through?

i've encountered the same issue just now. Restarted the game and still stuck

This happened to a few of us earlier. The fix is to reload the previous save (not the latest save).

It really doesn't take too long to get back to where you're at.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Super happy with the whole thing. Really well done all around. The voice acting stood out especially, which I didn't expect.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This game is awesome. I know Bloober has games that had divisive reviews, but this is their best one yet. Feels like, as a developer, they're really starting come to into their own and the experience they have is realized in this game. I really don't get the 70s MC at all, this feels like an 80s game at least.

Atmosphere, enemy design, environments and sound design are solid.

Oct 25, 2017
Started it with my wife and played about it 3 hours. Really enjoy it. A solid 7-8 so far.

it's a bit inconsistent in how it looks. Sometimes it looks phenomenal and almost photo realistic. Other times it looks a bit last gen.

some aspects feel a bit undercooked too. Like the animations and the faces.

but other parts look truly next gen

overall, worth it. It's more adventure than action. But the atmosphere is great. Will finish

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the inconsistency with the language on the buildings, signs etc. Some things are written in Polish, while others in English. It makes no sense. Looks like the devs couldn't decide on either so they mixed both, and the result is jarring, for me at least :P

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Played a bit more today. Game is slow and boring. Not my cup of tea. Uninstalled

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Mixed feelings after a few hours.

A+ story hook and atmosphere, but C- gameplay, at best. I'll see if go back to it, but it's a mild disappointment so far.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been feelin it so far, about 2-3 hours in. Atmosphere, music, and VO performances are top notch but that's where the strengths stop. Movement feels more sluggish than even classic RE and SH. I adore Beksinski but am kind of disappointed with Bloober's take on his style. There are aspects that are there like the pale yellow-orangish lighting, but the geometric detail is severely lacking and doesn't evoke the same sort of complexity found in his work. I also don't really think a hotel with lots of small rooms is really the best environment for translating Beksinski, the lack of expansiveness is too confining. Some environments look fantastic like the beginning outdoor areas and the foyer of the resort, but individual rooms are entirely unremarkable save for the odd totemic like object in the spirit world view. Maybe it gets more interesting later on but the braindead puzzles and general pacing isn't grabbing me at all. This would have worked much better as a Supermassive style game, mostly story beats with some moderate amount of traversal between cutscenes.
The second half of the game opens up alot more. Only the first half of the game takes place in the hotel

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. This game is awesome. I know Bloober has games that had divisive reviews, but this is their best one yet. Feels like, as a developer, they're really starting come to into their own and the experience they have is realized in this game. I really don't get the 70s MC at all, this feels like an 80s game at least.

Atmosphere, enemy design, environments and sound design are solid.
I never played their games before, but I agree this is great. Reminds me a lot of how Silent Hill felt like an adventure game, and this is the same without combat (which I really don't have a problem with). I love exploring everything.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
When are devs going to learn that easily failable chase and stealth sequences completely break the tension for players? Not to mention these are so annoying they're making me want to stop playing entirely.

how am I supposed to do this first stealth area? I cant like see where this guy is looking or where it wants me to go.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
The soundtrack for this is pretty stellar. I've only now reached the hotel, but I'm loving the music in this. Having personally never played the old Silent Hill games, nor heard any of their music... Somehow, I still immediately get those same vibes from The Medium's ost. Great game so far, even if it is bringing my PC to its knees in certain areas, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I finished this game yesterday. As my playthrough went on, I was planning to write some harsh words on it, but then the credits rolled and I was greeted with a message stating how the devs loved making this game and how close and personal the project was to them. That message tugged at my heartstrings and made me reconsider the tone I was going to use, especially considering how hard a job game development is, so I will try to be as fair with my own feelings as possible without being disrespectful to the development team.

First of all, I think the environmental artists deserve endless praise. The areas are consistently beautiful from beginning to end, and I was overjoyed to just walk around and pay attention to the level of detail and care that clearly went into every square meter of the game world.

The voice acting is also phenomenal. I just love it when characters sound like real people, and this game delivered that in spades. The direction was just... *chef's kiss*

The HDR implementation is some of the best I've seen in gaming.

Marianne is an interesting character and I love her design. Both versions of her felt instantly recognizable to me, and she has a very unique face. Whoever designed her deserves a lot of praise. Thomas also looks quite good, but Marianne steals the spotlight.

Thr art direction is great, but that's a given with Bloober Team (in my opinion, of course. I think their games always look great), so I won't elaborate on that.

They also nailed the fixed camera angles, for the most part. Some of them are a bit disorienting and meh, but the vast majority is great and feel like a love letter to survival horror games of yore.

Edit: It's a fucking crime that I forgot to mention the soundtrack. Yamaoka is a god and one of my favorite composers, and Reikowski is great. The soundtrack is fantastic and contributes insanely to the atmosphere. Excellent work.

And these were my positive thoughts on the game. Not a lot, I know, but at least I'm praising elements that are present all through the game, which is probably a good thing. Now, to the negative stuff.

The gameplay is bad. That is the worst thing I'll say about The Medium, and probably the point I want to flesh out the most. Controls, animations and character movement seem stuck in the past, and the game feels so enamored with its own story that it constantly forces the player to walk to make sure characters will finish their lines, it's like the game is terrified the player will miss something. Not that it's necessary, though, because even interaction buttons will be deactivated until a character finishes what they have to say. A lot of areas also force you to walk for no reason, which makes no sense since even running feels quite slow in this game (except for the escape sections, but I'll talk about these later).

Exploration consists of going through a rather reduced number of rooms and examining a few items here and there. It's all pretty straightforward and it's impossible to stray from the intended path because there are no extra rooms anywhere and almost no incentive to explore either: it's either some collectible note or an object that you need to focus on at just the right angle so it will trigger a residual memory. The puzzles are all very simple and feel like they're there because that's what people expect from a horror game. I really hope you like seeing the same two animations of a razor cutting through stuff and a bolt cutter breaking chains, because you'll be seeing them a lot.

Not only is traversal quite slow and stiff, but about halfway through the game will introduce balancing through wooden planks, and will use that quite a bit until the end, making things even slower. It will also increase the number of chest-high platforms you need to climb, only to see the same slow climbing animation over and over again.

Then there's the combat. Or the complete absence of it, as The Medium is yet another horror game that completely ditches combat in favor of boring forced stealth sequences and scripted escape sequences. This inability to fight back never worked to me. Not in Outlast, not in Amnesia, not in Observer, and I can't make sense of why anyone would think a game would be scarier if you removed a variable that is obvious to any human being. Also, remember when I mentioned traversal being slow? Well, that's because I haven't even mentioned the hold breath mechanic yet. It's simple: If Marianne is breathes, it alerts the stalker creature of her presence, so you can press a button to make her hold her breath, which also makes her walk in the equivalent of baby steps.

There's also the dual reality stuff. Cool idea on paper, but I think it ended up hurting both the physical and the spiritual game worlds. Having both at the same time on screen makes them fight for the player's attention, and I ended up always either focusing on one over the other or constantly jumping bqck and forth so I wouldn't miss an interaction prompt. I'm sure I missed a lot of cool details because of that, and I think both worlds would shine a lot more if less time was spent in dual screens.

Lastly, it was absolutely frustrating to me that a game so committed to hurting its own gameplay in order to tell a story would lose all that commitment in the very last moment. Not that it suddenly starts to improve on the gameplay, no, but that it focuses on the story all the way through, only to back off at the last second and not commit to an ending. I won't even put that in spoiler tags because I think people should know what they're getting into. I like cliffhangers, I just don't think this one has earned it. In fact, this game's story was full of revelations that were not predictable but were not surprising either, which frustrated me a lot because I really enjoyed the story in other Bloober Team's games.

So, I think that's it. I probably won't be playing this game again because every second or it felt like a chore in slow motion, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a sequel that improves on the stuff I mentioned above. I like Bloober Team a lot, and I hope they keep making horror games, getting bolder and bolder with each title. There is a lot of potential there.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
that doesn't really sound like classic re at all

It isn't.

But the fixed camera angles/horror adventure vibes are interesting if you're, for example, someone who's played a lot of RE back in the day.

But, no, if you're looking for A NEW SURVIVAL HORRO RESIDENT EVIL then The Medium isn't the game for you. No shotguns, no flamethrowers, no massive zombie snakes or T-virus bosses. It's more psychological horror (like Until Dawn, my other comparison).

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
When are devs going to learn that easily failable chase and stealth sequences completely break the tension for players? Not to mention these are so annoying they're making me want to stop playing entirely.

how am I supposed to do this first stealth area? I cant like see where this guy is looking or where it wants me to go.

Think you get caught the first time, it lets you press RT to shake him off, I also don't think it respawnsuntil the next part if you make it run back into the safe room. The stealth parts are generally very straight forward, it's just about watching the pattern and going behind him, so far the rules have been pretty fair, it hasn't seen me through objects or anything. There was potential for the monster to turn unexpectedly to fake you out, but it hasn't happened in my 3-4 hours, just going when it felt right has worked perfectly so far.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Call it nostalgia but fixed camera angles have that charm or magic that i no longer see when the camera is behind your back imo.
Don't get me wrong, i love the 'over the shoulder' view just as much as fixed but the latter offers something that is rare nowadays...it's not better or worse, just different.
Kept thinking of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare while playing this, i wouldn't mind if bloober team made a new game with this style tbh.
Also Marianne being a little dorkish was a surprise, the bolt cutter joke made me chuckle..she has some jesse faden(control) vibes when she acts like that.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't get some of these complaints. I got through all the chase sequences and stealth sequence first try, no issues. Just focus on the clues in the environment during chase sequences, and take your time, hold your breath a lot, and watch for route patterns during the stealth sequences. It doesn't matter where the creature is looking; he can't see you any more than you can see him. It's all about staying quiet (holding your breath) and keeping out of his way.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't get some of these complaints. I got through all the chase sequences and stealth sequence first try, no issues. Just focus on the clues in the environment during chase sequences, and take your time, hold your breath a lot, and watch for route patterns during the stealth sequences. It doesn't matter where the creature is looking; he can't see you any more than you can see him. It's all about staying quiet (holding your breath) and keeping out of his way.

People get pretty heated about stealth sections in non-stealth games. I get confused because in these non-stealth games the sections are extremely authored. They are basically puzzles.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
Just finished the whole game in a single sitting, overall it was pretty good. I had not seen much on the game before playing it so i was surprised to learn it was essentially a horror themed adventure game, it felt more like a puzzle light version of monkey island mechanically speaking then like Silent Hill. It took a while for it to dawn on me that there was not going to be any real form of combat. The atmosphere was good and the voice acting was also good, the music did what it needed to do. The graphics were okay, nothing spectacular (especially considering the locked camera angles), the split screen felt rather under-utilized and like they could have removed the few puzzles that required it and just gone for purely shifting between both. Whenever they did the split during the cutscenes there was never any reason to look at the screen showing the material world as there would never be anything worth looking at so it seemed pointless to not just show full screen spirit world. I only criticize the split screen as that seemed to be something which impacted the performance of the game and it really didn't feel that core to how the game played and it easily could have been removed without really impacting the game.

The ending was a little weird, it was like the developers wanted the players to choose their own ending, but without having to make multiple endings to show the player, kind of just leaving it to your imagination.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I do believe it's going to take a very special dev to balance the potential of a perceived non-achievable failure and excitement of a big chase without disrupting the flow of the drama. I'd say that in this game the stealth sections are actually fair as the AI for the moth does not allow it to actually search for you. It sort of just walks around in a circle and smashes some objects so you can carry on with your path. Any death I did achieve was relative to camera issues.

That doesn't mean that people don't have something to complain about. I did die a few times in both sequences and it did take me out of the tension quite a bit. All I'll say is that this is a greater issue with game development than just this AA title. I'd say they did a better job than some bigger studios with it. Uncharted and Fallen Order are two games I can think of where the rug is pulled entirely out from under you because they want you to do something quickly, but the platforming and direction can be imprecise to the point where your big moment is squandered because you die 10 times trying to land the right platform or fight with the camera along with a low margin for error.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have played for a few hours so far and I really dig what's going on here. Had some good scares, the music sometimes adds to that as well. Visuals.....for a small ass team during COVID in a probably small budget....I'm satisfied with that.

I will say I wish during the first chase that they kept the camera angle with you running towards the screen that angle added so much tension because he always looked like he was gonna get you.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gripes so far: no matter how much I try to adjust the gamma it just doesn't look quite right. The game is a little too dark at times. Also, the graphics can range from "solid" to no joke..."late 360/early X1 days". I mean, Merrianne's face, especially when she's talking...yeesh. Her furry jacket and hair look better than her actual head. Emotionless like a mannequin. The environments look stellar, though. But like I said earlier, a small budget team trying to breakthrough to the big leagues now that they're MS backed have done great.

I hope MS continues funding and hiring talent for the team because I think they can drop a big gem on Series X in a couple years. Hopefully they stick with horror, too.

Last edited:

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I never played their games before, but I agree this is great. Reminds me a lot of how Silent Hill felt like an adventure game, and this is the same without combat (which I really don't have a problem with). I love exploring everything.
And without real puzzles. Or exploration. I honestly don't get why people keep comparing this to Silent Hill or adventure games in general. All similarities are surface level and feels nothing like that in practice.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
But like I said earlier, a small budget team trying to breakthrough to the big leagues now that they're MS backed have done great.

I hope MS continues funding and hiring talent for the team because I think they can drop a big gem on Series X in a couple years. Hopefully they stick with horror, too.

What? Bloober Team is independent, they are not "MS backed". It's just a timed-exclusive deal they have, that's it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And without real puzzles. Or exploration. I honestly don't get why people keep comparing this to Silent Hill or adventure games in general. All similarities are surface level and feels nothing like that in practice.
What doesn't feel real to you can feel to me. I don't have the same requirements as you to define these things. I'm enjoying my time with it.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I disliked the stealth sections quite a bit, and also don't think they were hard in any way. I do think they are too short to the point the concept is wasted, and that the monster really should be more visible than it is. I get why it isn't from a narrative point of view, but gameplay-wise it's not fun to keep squinting just to spot it, and its design is wasted that way too.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I disliked the stealth sections quite a bit, and also don't think they were hard in any way. I do think they are too short to the point the concept is wasted, and that the monster really should be more visible than it is. I get why it isn't from a narrative point of view, but gameplay-wise it's not fun to keep squinting just to spot it, and its design is wasted that way too.
You have to use insight to make it prominent.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A couple hours in and got to a part where it
switched characters. I feel like I can hear a little bit of Keanu Reeves in this guys voice. I know it's not but I find it amusing.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You can do that? Well, that's on me then. Full-blown visible?
Without spoiling, in one of the sections you can and it's fully visible like the objects outline get highlighted when using insight. This could be a bug because other times I recall you only see a directional HUD indicator on your character which changes colour to display proximity to it.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Did the first chase and stealth section. They sucked. Like everything else about the game though so I hope they isnt too many of those sections.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
All I could do was laugh when...

she fired up the generator and slowly trudged through the gate with it, then seeing it take off like it'd been hit by a truck and she shouted some corny line like "TAKE THAT YOU FUCKING BITCH!!!11". It was all a bit thatescalatedquickly.gif

I disliked the stealth sections quite a bit, and also don't think they were hard in any way.
That's the thing with stealth in this game. It's not hard, but it's in equal measure simply not fun. If you die, it's very likely because you didn't have the patience with the process, and for me that's entirely understandable 'cause the whole game (bar a couple of failable forced run away now sections) is really plodding paced and it can test the patience of the player. Even the LT "run" feels like a middle aged man out for his first lockdown jog since they made him do laps in school, the kind of running pace and action that's actually slower and more laboured than a brisk walk. All the more annoying when the chase sections have you going hell for leather when they can control exactly what you do, where you go, what you see - normal run is likely restricted for streaming issues (textures load up late a lot in new scenes and menus, so kinda like the hub was in Anthem).

TBH a lot of the game simply isn't fun for me, not just the stealth. But not every game has to be a blast to play, so while my best bud has given up on the game, I'm still getting it done in bits and bats. Kinda like the Vogon grunt when asked if the hours are good (and at 10 to complete this game ain't bad) but as he replied "most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy".

While I'm here, someone tell me this: why is everyone is American? wtf kind of casting decision was that? Poland's bleak Euro dankness realised really well and yet I've got all these US accents, pronounciations and inflections, it destroys the whole vibe.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Lastly, it was absolutely frustrating to me that a game so committed to hurting its own gameplay in order to tell a story would lose all that commitment in the very last moment. Not that it suddenly starts to improve on the gameplay, no, but that it focuses on the story all the way through, only to back off at the last second and not commit to an ending. I won't even put that in spoiler tags because I think people should know what they're getting into. I like cliffhangers, I just don't think this one has earned it. In fact, this game's story was full of revelations that were not predictable but were not surprising either, which frustrated me a lot because I really enjoyed the story in other Bloober Team's games.
Nice write up, and great description here. There's technical quirks and gameplay shortcomings but the narrative remains a highlight that doesn't quite manage to hit emotional highs, but is easy to get invested. I'm big on appreciating the journey over the destination, but I agree The Medium's closing felt gutless.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I will say that although the dual screens have you fighting for attention it does work in the artistic sense (games as art) because Marianne is burdened with being in two worlds at once, just as the player is. For that to be reflected in how a player plays the game may be tedious but art can be. I don't know if that was the intention of it tho.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm here, someone tell me this: why is everyone is American? wtf kind of casting decision was that? Poland's bleak Euro dankness realised really well and yet I've got all these US accents, pronounciations and inflections, it destroys the whole vibe.

Yup, that's really stupid. More so because they had mocap and voice recording sessions with character's "face" actors (Polish actors) and then recorded the english dub with new voice actors.