• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How's everything finding the story?

I thought Observer showed some real promise, but find Blair Witch's story, characters, and dialogue utterly woeful.

Hoping this is better.

After having it finished after 7 hours of playtime I am pretty much disappointed. What a waste that was for me. Glad I got it through GamePass

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Played for about an hour or 2. So far I like the game, the tank controls don't even make me mad, kind of nostalgic, however I absolutely do not like the splitting, at least not yet. Don't like the screen being that way. The game overall is cool though, and creepy as hell.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes. Didn't realize it was that short. Guess it really is good that it's a Game pass game.

I always take 20-30% less time for games than most people :) But yeah it's pretty short to be honest which I don't mind, but I feel a bit like I've wasted my time. Not sure, pretty neutral except for the ending.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So. I decided to play the game on low settings, since my computer turns any other setting into a slideshow. But it is simply unplayable.

While I understand the texture resolution takes a hit... who in their right mind had the idea to not separate the inventory resolution to the world one?
Every file and Item I pick up is literally a blur of brown shapes. The game descrives something as "Unsettling drawing" and all I see is a brown page.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I always take 20-30% less time for games than most people :) But yeah it's pretty short to be honest which I don't mind, but I feel a bit like I've wasted my time. Not sure, pretty neutral except for the ending.

I'm the opposite. It takes me longer than the everage specially in games like these. I just like to take my time and explore every nook and cranny for things I might have missed. Love the art so I walk around trying to trigger the different camera angles so I can soak it all in.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Played for about an hour or 2. So far I like the game, the tank controls don't even make me mad, kind of nostalgic, however I absolutely do not like the splitting, at least not yet. Don't like the screen being that way. The game overall is cool though, and creepy as hell.

The game doesnt have tank controls :o Would be cool if it did though!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any patch notes or changelog for the 4~ GB patch that came out for the Xbox version today ?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of seeing Marianne act out the same scenes in the real world when she's not talking to anyone or interacting with anyone? I don't really get it. It just looks weird.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
How scary is this game?
I'd like to play it with my SO, and though we both like suspense, neither of us is really into horror.
Like... TLOU1 and 2 is fine, so is Prey (2017), but Silent Hill or Amnesia is not.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think im around halfway through and some scenes are just way too dark. I'm just stumbling around in pitch black rooms looking for something to interact with. Even with the settings at max brightness.

I'm playing as thomas in the house and i cant figure out what to do because everything is just blackness

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck.

On the second floor of the hotel after dropping down the hole. I need to find either some energy to get through the hallway of moths or something to open the skin wall. I've looked everywhere on the floor and can't go back up. What am I missing?

Edit: figured it out.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Still not done with the game, I'm at the wheelchair scene now but man, the OT should have been called:

The Medium [OT] Spiritfarer 2

😅

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Also what is with the multicolored flashing lights? That's a bug right? Like giving me a migraine.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
the game itself has the warning as you boot it up.
The splash screen is completely useless. It tells you content might be triggering but specifies nothing. This isn't how trigger warnings work.

And from what I've read this game needs a proper trigger warning badly. I'm not saying what for in this thread because people are (rightly) sensitive to spoilers, but the development team have been irresponsible here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
What's the point of seeing Marianne act out the same scenes in the real world when she's not talking to anyone or interacting with anyone? I don't really get it. It just looks weird.

Yeah, it is quite odd. The first time I kind of understand, because it shows you that things are still happening in the 'real world' even when she enters into that dual world state, but like, after that it doesn't really feel like there is much point to it? I thought maybe they were going to do some kind contrast work between what's happening in the real and spirit world, but they...don't really lol

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I actually find this super interesting. Whenever we watch a movie and the character starts talking to spirits, we get inside their head and see the spirits. I think it's cool to see Marianne talking to nobody because it feels like I'm watching her from "my" world.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda don't like how long it takes until you get another checkpoint. Game is interesting so far though I'm going veeery slowly (a little bit past the bathtub)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't see why the trigger warning shouldn't be more specific, I found that odd as well.

Example: you watch an episode of Sopranos on Sky Atlantic and it will occasionally have trigger warnings and explain the types of content that might be triggering.

Oct 25, 2017
I greatly enjoyed the game. It's got great visuals and ran well enough for me, though I'm on a beefy system. The story and lore of the world and characters really worked for me; it goes to really dark places, but I think it treats those things reasonably well. The puzzles weren't quite as good as I had hoped (Song of Horror this is not), and the ending is a little unfulfilling, but it's scary, well-paced, and visually unique. Wish the music had been better; it was distracting when it shouldn't be, and much to subtle when it should have pushed harder.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it today. It was pretty fun, but I'm not a big fan of these story-driven games, and this one, in particular, wasn't exceptional. I definitely would not have played it if not for game pass, especially since it was only seven hours long. The performance was also terrible on PC (It does look pretty) and there are a few gameplay hitches, like getting stuck on objects and having to reset.

As I mentioned, I have not played many story-driven games like this, but a seven-hour game that ends on a cliffhanger feels like a huge middle-finger to the audience. At $50 this definitely seems like it was made with game-pass in mind.

Shingaling

Oct 28, 2017
I beat the game yesterday and I'm curious to see how people feel about the part of the game the trigger warning is for.

The Pedophilia stuff feels like a story point that's just tacked on for shock value. I hate the fact that it spends so much time with Richard, dedicating whole sections of the game to him with a generic the abuser was abused at some point in his life story. Even though it explains the reason for The Maw existing, you only get that, along with a few lines of dialogue from Lily that she hates her family, but not really, for any kind of reference to her side of it. I feel like I've missed parts of the game or a lot of stuff got cut.

Ogopogo

Sep 4, 2019
Took me a little less than 10 hours to beat and loved every second of it. Got off my couch only to use the bathroom and get food. Other than that I played it straight through, something I haven't done with a video game since I was a kid. Only missed three achievements too. Can't remember the last time I was SO invested in a game's characters/story.

This is the first Bloober Team game I've ever played. Now I wanna play the rest.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am looking for something different right now with games. I was always going to try this but is this doing something really unique? I might put it at the front of the queue. I don't really care about perfection, just looking for something unique.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I am looking for something different right now with games. I was always going to try this but is this doing something really unique? I might put it at the front of the queue. I don't really care about perfection, just looking for something unique.

I wouldn't say unique. It is fairly novel for 2021 in that it's a fixed camera angle adventure/horror that harkens back to your Silent Hills or whatever in terms of presentation/vibe. It's split-screen/dual world thing is unique I guess. I thought it was super cool.

It's Until Dawn meets Silent Hill. If you like creepy stuff and adventure games then you'll probably find something to like.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't say unique. It is fairly novel for 2021 in that it's a fixed camera angle adventure/horror that harkens back to your Silent Hills or whatever in terms of presentation/vibe. It's split-screen/dual world thing is unique I guess. I thought it was super cool.

It's Until Dawn meets Silent Hill. If you like creepy stuff and adventure games then you'll probably find something to like.
I am going through the RE games again so this looks appealing. I am on Series X, so I hope it runs okay.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I am going through the RE games again so this looks appealing. I am on Series X, so I hope it runs okay.

I'd say if you're a fan of classic RE then it's interesting to see a take on that in 2021. There's no zombie combat or anything (it's more brooding/creepy than combat/gun heavy) so it's more adventure game like than SURVIVAL HORROR. That's be my Until Dawn comparison over something like RE.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I honestly like this game way more than I thought I would. Graphics can be amazing at times, and the story is really cool so far, while still weirdly somber. Might be my surprise of the year if this goes on.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd say if you're a fan of classic RE then it's interesting to see a take on that in 2021. There's no zombie combat or anything (it's more brooding/creepy than combat/gun heavy) so it's more adventure game like than SURVIVAL HORROR. That's be my Until Dawn comparison over something like RE.
Awesome. I am curious to try it out. The dual rendering is cool, I just hope it feels deliberate rather than tacked-on.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
They've done a great job. Eons better than Blair witch. Good portion of the way through the story and having difficulty making sense of all the threads. Hoping the end clears it up.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I think I hit a game breaking bug. On the way to the red house you are supposed to lift yourself up a little mud patch under the bridge. I can't get past that=\

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Man, they are making a strong case for Game Pass... $50 for a digital-only game, or pay $15 and have a month to beat the game.

Though I have been thinking about the Hivebusters DLC for Gears 5 which I own physically, and I'd get it with GPU.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I actually find this super interesting. Whenever we watch a movie and the character starts talking to spirits, we get inside their head and see the spirits. I think it's cool to see Marianne talking to nobody because it feels like I'm watching her from "my" world.
I agree, I like that they present it that way, particularly since she can mentally be in both worlds at the same time or just in one of them.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018

Same thoughts over here. Just the technical aspect on PC was disappointing. Rest was really cool.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think I hit a game breaking bug. On the way to the red house you are supposed to lift yourself up a little mud patch under the bridge. I can't get past that=\

Hmm, can you be more specific? There is no bridge in or around the Red House, at least not that I'm aware of, so maybe I don't know what you mean when you say 'bridge?'

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. It was GOOD!

Definitely my favorite game from Bloober Team.

I really enjoyed the story, it went in places I didn't expect.

I think the thing I took away from playing this is that Bloober have gotten better and better at playing to their strengths. That being atmosphere and tone. The world design and sound design alone are worth it to experience. There were times I was just walking down a hall, and the different faint noises of the resort made me feel uneasy as all fuck. There are also some REALLY well directed moments in the game that took me by surprise in a "Oh wow, this is awesome" kind of way.

Not flawless though. Performance was all over the place on PC for me (i5-4690K, GTX 1070, SATA SSD), and I had a few instances of dialog not loading.

I'm really glad I gave this a playthrough and can't wait to see Bloober Team build on what they learned from making this game.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Just finished it. Well done guys! Great length. The atmosphere and music were exceptional, and I enjoyed the story. Gameplay was a little clunky but nothing unmanageable. Not overly frustrating either.

it's a shame these reviews were so harsh and yet cyberpunk reviews so well.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm stuck

Trying to get into NIWA but I can't find the door handle to open the door to the dumpster.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

so does It have the inventory management risk/ reward that was key to classic RE gameplay loop?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been feelin it so far, about 2-3 hours in. Atmosphere, music, and VO performances are top notch but that's where the strengths stop. Movement feels more sluggish than even classic RE and SH. I adore Beksinski but am kind of disappointed with Bloober's take on his style. There are aspects that are there like the pale yellow-orangish lighting, but the geometric detail is severely lacking and doesn't evoke the same sort of complexity found in his work. I also don't really think a hotel with lots of small rooms is really the best environment for translating Beksinski, the lack of expansiveness is too confining. Some environments look fantastic like the beginning outdoor areas and the foyer of the resort, but individual rooms are entirely unremarkable save for the odd totemic like object in the spirit world view. Maybe it gets more interesting later on but the braindead puzzles and general pacing isn't grabbing me at all. This would have worked much better as a Supermassive style game, mostly story beats with some moderate amount of traversal between cutscenes.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I'll be honest that jump scare got me....

Enjoying the game for what it is a gamepass game. Sounds like it's 7-10 hours which is perfect.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Blooper leaves a message stating The Medium is their most ambitious title yet, which might just be cost based statement because Observer is twice the game The Medium is. More mysterious, more intriguing, more creative, more surreal, and actually unnerving.

But The Medium is definitely a huge improvement in both voice work and overall production value. I loved the lead's even temper and cheery demeanor keeping her going in the dilapidated hell hole. The monster designs and disturbing stories that accompany/precede them are well presented. The visuals are often beautiful with far panned out shots and moody environments. Like others have said, the dual world play is disappointingly shallow, but as a vehicle to drive the intriguing story and cut scenes forward, it's good enough. Too bad the ending did nothing for me, and the scare factor is just too low for the game to offer much tension.

Verdict: Watch The Medium. Play Observer.