• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Boy...I might wait for a patch, this game does...not run well.

Edit: That's a bit of an exaggeration...but I really did think I'd get a stable 60 on my machine with DLSS. I'll bump it down to 30 and lock it there, it should be fine for this style of game.

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
This is one of those games where I look at some of the review outlets that gave a 3/10 and can't help but think "what the fuck game were you playing?"

I'm about 4-5 hours in and it's a legit 9/10 for me so far. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice level quality in the AA space.
Yeah, this game doesn't deserve a 3/10, but it's not on the same level as Hellblade either.
Is sneaking broken? Every time I click in the left stick, Marianne crouches, but moving the stick at all makes her stand right up.
Works fine on my end.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
The Anybody getting this Weird color lights?
Es2QZs0W4AElVtD

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I'm not playing this myself due to not having the hardware for it, but reports are coming in on Twitter about the content of the ending and I will say this in a spoiler-free manner:

There needs to be a serious trigger warning on this game and a warning on this OT. Mods, please look into this - what I'm reading about the way certain themes are handled in this game is seriously distressing and harmful.

I don't know how this can be flagged up in a spoiler-free manner to people, and I am very much for the importance of keeping things unspoiled, but this is something that needs considering.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Happy it was on GP. I like trying things. This was not for me. Never been into walking around inspecting stuff... and the tank controls make me feel like I'm a character that is bad at life skills.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
you look through a door in the spirit world and see a bathtub with blood. It's draining and out if nowhere a "thing" pops up in the eye hole with this demonic growl. The main character jumps back, the door swings open, blood continues to drain in the tub revealing a knife that you need to cut the door blocking flesh

Thanks, I hate cheap jumpscares like this

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
quite surprised its reviewing well and that it runs well. just going to wait for the frame pacing patch before playing.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Two chapters in on Series X and I'm digging it. Environments are very interesting so far, love Sadness and Marianne's character is growing on me. Really liking all of her inner-monologue character development like with Jesse in Control.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I like the atmosphere, but i expected more Silent Hill or Resident Evil. Its more of an adventure horror game then survival horror. But the game is to slow for me, gonna play some more tonight.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Played the opening. Dig it being fixed camera.
Will play more when there's an achievement guide made. Seems like an easy 1000G you could do all in one go with a guide.

Does the game have a chapter select?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Played the opening. Dig it being fixed camera.
Will play more when there's an achievement guide made. Seems like an easy 1000G you could do all in one go with a guide.

Does the game have a chapter select?

I haven't looked and don't remember seeing any obvious one, but within the load game menu there is a wealth of auto-saves that seem to occur at each new section so I think you could go back pretty far without losing progress.

edit: My load points go back about eight files over 45 minutes, don't see a chapter select.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Not a bad game at all. GamePass is pretty damn good to have because otherwise, I wouldn't have played it. Controller vibration is a bit strong though.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad game at all. GamePass is pretty damn good to have because otherwise, I wouldn't have played it. Controller vibration is a bit strong though.

I don't really care for horror games, but it being on GamePass definitely got me to check it out. And I played it for way longer than I expected, and will most likely continue to do so.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The WIDE camera angles man, they really make the outdoor sections. The voice work is a huge step up from Observer and it's really selling a lot of the later scenes.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Played a couple hours and am probably done. Not terrible, but not really all that compelling either.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I played a little bit last night. It's OK.

Music is very good. Visuals can be very good, but also oddly ordinary, often compounded by late loading textures or some that never bother upping LODs. Pacing slow, but that's not an inherently bad thing, I approve. The world feels too clinical, boring, dead. Solving problems to make progress is trivial, to the point where it registers as purposeful mini road bumps to elongate story progression (this might improve further in). Animation is very stiff. Acting is similarly wooden at times, yet at others it seems perfectly fine during scenes that look to have been fully acted and captured. Speaking characters present best when they're masked as the lipsync tech is lacking, giving the game another layer of old-fashionedness.Holding the bumper to use magic vision doesn't feel great, especially when the game has to remind you to do it. Had a Broken Sword flashback when she said "the door was locked", not sure if that was intentional. I only got as far as the Bandicooting badguy and died 3 times at the same point with deadly moth swarms, the game reminding me during the reload (which takes far too long for a next gen game running from a next gen SSD) that I can press a button to use charged magic burst things, so maybe I have to do that, but trial and error is never a fun thing for me personally and I just couldn't be arsed and left it there. Similarly, running away from the big bad guy, towards the screen, has rarely been fun or enjoyable, so putting the two together was a big put off.

So far the twin worlds rendered simultaneously mechanic hasn't been revelationary, more a novelty, and nothing that simply switching planes on the fly as games have done for decades could have handled just as well, without the downgrade of visuals, lack of direction and IQ compromises it demands. I don't know which came first, the game concept or the patented dual viewports idea, but I've seen little justification for it beyond gimmic.

This seems oddly critical reading it back when I've been looking forward to a first new gen game for the xbox, it was actually OK playing through leisurely but I suppose a few things began to add up. To be fair, the only real problem I've had with the game is something I didn't mention above and I've not seen mentioned elsewhere so I think it's just on me lol. I think I've kinda been trypophobia triggered. It's not exactly that but I think similar somehow. It's a combination of the fungus-like stuff on her spirit world version's arm (although I feel fine when it's glowing for some reason), and then especially the girl with the same stuff on her upper body and missing limbs with stuff creeping out but particularly the red-cage-fungus-like missing bits in her remaining limbs... I just feel physically sick, uncomfortably hot and sweaty, and fixated on that rather than whatever stuff is going on in the game. It's not at all gory or horrific, it just makes me feel uncomfortably uncomfortable. Weird af!

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying this so far, though the stealth section thing was...eh. I love horror games but these moments sorta break things for me a lot, the failstate saps the tension from the sequences and the actual actions are never all that fun. I do like the general dual screen/out of body stuff though, it's a very cool premise.

On SX the frame stutter is driving me batty, and I've seen that weird artifacting a lot too. Much like damn near everything I've played in the last couple of months it seems like the game will be much better after a few patches.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'm actually a fan of the vibration. Using the rumble triggers to actually rumble when the controller does shouldn't feel novel but it does. I feel like nobody else uses the full range of the Xbox rumble.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Came here to say that this is the first game I am really jelous of not being able to play since I dont have a Series X or S right now.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
This seems oddly critical reading it back when I've been looking forward to a first new gen game for the xbox, it was actually OK playing through leisurely but I suppose a few things began to add up. To be fair, the only real problem I've had with the game is something I didn't mention above and I've not seen mentioned elsewhere so I think it's just on me lol. I think I've kinda been trypophobia triggered. It's not exactly that but I think similar somehow. It's a combination of the fungus-like stuff on her spirit world version's arm (although I feel fine when it's glowing for some reason), and then especially the girl with the same stuff on her upper body and missing limbs with stuff creeping out but particularly the red-cage-fungus-like missing bits in her remaining limbs... I just feel physically sick, uncomfortably hot and sweaty, and fixated on that rather than whatever stuff is going on in the game. It's not at all gory or horrific, it just makes me feel uncomfortably uncomfortable. Weird af!
As someone who is also super sensitive to this, I noticed it as well. But hasn't bothered me to the same extent. Friendly warning: stay away from another upcoming horror game called Scorn. It's basically Trypophobia: The Game.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Played through last night what might be the first act or chapter (up until it cutd back to Marianne at the table talking to someone).

It really pulled me in, the charcter design and voice work is really strong, the atmosphere is excellent and I think it looks great visually. That wide shot as your approach Niwa was ace. The splitscreen mechanic feels like far less of a gimmick than I anticipated.

The controls can be a bit fiddly, and I've had the occasional visual glitch but overall I'm really enjoying it.

Something about the way the creature says "let me try you on" really made my skin crawl

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
That wide shot as your approach Niwa was ace. The splitscreen mechanic feels like far less of a gimmick than I anticipated.
Combined with Yamaoka`s music I got some serious Silent Hill-vibes there.
And I agree about the splitscreen mechanic. So far, the game feels more "gamey" than I thought it would be, which is a good thing because I´m bored by walking sims and similar at this point. It reminds me more of classic/old school adventures.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Just started playing this...

Hmmm usually this is not my kind of game but overall I am quite enjoying it. If it wasn't on GP I would not have bought this TBH... not because of the game but because of the genre. I like the athmosphere, the main character and the location.

Only thing that really annoys me is the walking animation against walls/objects. Come on, this isn't RE from 1995 any more.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I would have never tried this if this wasn't on Gamepass (I don't like scary games) but... I dig it! I want to play more today after work.

Also, as a Pole, I must say that Jack's appartment is... 100% Polish. My uncle's flat looked almost identical. Furniture, floor boards, and appliances etc. were almost the in every home in Poland in the 90s. Really weird to see something like that in a game, haha.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Trying the game out now. Pretty interesting, prob give it some more time before making an opinion. Does anyone else's volume start out loud sometimes and then fades down? I keep getting that in the volume, not sure what causes that.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If this wasn't on gamepass I would never have purchased because I don't do horror games.

But I'm.surprisingly playing more than I thought

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The fixed camera angles are really firing off the nostalgia feels for me.

I'm so glad that they went with this rather than first person like their prior games. It works so well.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
That intro was something else... really dig it so far. Does it get gross/gory?

There are blood splatters in places, pools of blood etc. I don't remember anything gory in my 3-4 hours thus far. The grossest thing in the game is the child that was featured in the trailers and you meet quite early. Her limbs are sort of fleshy plant-like tendrils that are pretty unsettling to look at. I don't know if it's actually gore, it's hard to tell with the art style, but it looks sufficiently fleshy to be discomforting.

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
Does the game have jump scares? Might wanna try this one if the horror is just atmospheric.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
As a scaredy cat, this seems to strike a fine balance of being spooky but not scary. Not too far in so that could change though.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a scaredy cat, this seems to strike a fine balance of being spooky but not scary. Not too far in so that could change though.
I usually love scary games and films, but man... Playing this one in a pitch black room with headphones on has been pretty damn terrifying, haha.

The
monster thing, and the fact that he can now show up in both worlds at any time,
makes me full of anxiety at all times while playing. Having a blast with it though.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying my playtime so far, a couple hours in. Appropriate parts tension and curiosity, and no action-game filler so far, which has made the pacing feel a lot tighter re: how they dole out information.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm getting wild performance differences though, where the first areas of the game were 60fps and the two worlds gameplay is sitting around 20-30fps lol. I know my machine isn't a blast, but thank god im not bothered too much by low framerates.

I like the atmosphere, the gameplay, the music, it's all ticking the right boxes for me so far. My biggest complaint is that it feels like the two worlds rendering at the same time is wholly unnecessary. I'm not sure why they couldn't have implemented a zapping system ala Resident Evil Zero. It just hogs so much performance and granted I'm only at the hotel so far, feels like it doesn't necessitate showing both screens at the same time.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first hour or so this morning. I do like the characters and setting and where this is going.
I like the atmosphere, the gameplay, the music, it's all ticking the right boxes for me so far. My biggest complaint is that it feels like the two worlds rendering at the same time is wholly unnecessary. I'm not sure why they couldn't have implemented a zapping system ala Resident Evil Zero. It just hogs so much performance and granted I'm only at the hotel so far, feels like it doesn't necessitate showing both screens at the same time.

Totally agree here. So far the two worlds stuff just feels unnecessary to me too. It's a neat gimmick for a minute or two but then it's kind of just left me scratching my head as to why they would do this (beyond just showing off the power of the Series X).