• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
About 45 minutes in... idk it just feels.. boring?

bored as hell playing this game. Does it pick up at all

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried 10m. First. Since next gen launch I play 100% 60fps games even with fixed camera. It's very tough to go back to 30. It's not like before where 60 was a minority. Now I don't think I'll buy a 30 FPS game or it needs to be very special. And it's a bit ... boring

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I'm actually playing this at 30 on my 3070, the sudden FPS drops when you go to the upsidedown was just a bit too much. But I find the 30fps experience pretty pleasant in comparison, I don't think it really requires all that smoothness when it's slow and fixed with its camera angles.

I think tho as the next gen gets on with things 30 will just remain the norm anyway

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Game looks decent but for the way it looks it should be running at 60 fps on both series consoles...

Feels like a Remedy game on a technical level in that there is an expensive gimmick that's graphical intensive that drags the whole performance of the game down.

Last edited:

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
This score is legendary. The tone of the game is on point, the atmosphere is mental and the writing and acting are very good. This is turning out to be an awesome surprise haha.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Put about 3 hours into it on Series X and just impressed with it. I have not had any "jump" scares, but it seems intense in a way. Looks really good on Series X and the split screen is great. Someone mentioned it earlier, but when the split screen thing is happening at times you loose focus on one or the other where you can miss some stuff. The play switches to this split screen is welcoming and is something really different which i enjoy. I do notice some textures loading in, but it is rare but it does happen. For example when you click on some signs, the higher res textures load in very quick, but you do notice it. Fortunately it seems like this is just for some items as the world seems to be loading textures properly on Series X.

Overall...pretty impressed overall with the game. You can see that there are some budget limitations such as animations and facial animations. This team has been evolving for some time and this seems to be their best one yet. If they can keep growing and more financial backing I bet their next game will be more on the AAA level. I think Phil needs to write a check! lol

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Having liked Observer from the same team a lot, I was very curious. Really enjoyed that intro sequence and want to know what's up with the protagonist's powers. Plus I really love games in this narration style. Looks good technically as well on Series X. I hope this title gets some exposure given it's one of the first newly released games for this console generation.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
I put in about 3 hours so far and really enjoying the game so far . Playing on cx oled 65"

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I just played through the intro and noticed some weird graphical glitches when the main character is sitting at the desk.

Yep!
Mostly her hair, weird coloured spots flashing, I thought Series X GPU was fried but everything else seemed fine.
Happened later too, again main characters hair.
Is it intentional? Weird.

Couple hours in and it's intriguing. Slow, but with tons of atmosphere.
Nice score. Track playing when you meet *redacted* sounds an awful lot like a song from the movie Akira.

An interesting game so far.

I thought someone said it doesn't have jump scares? Right.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yep!
Mostly her hair, weird coloured spots flashing, I thought Series X GPU was fried but everything else seemed fine.

Also have these crazy coloured flickers. Noticed it first
around Jack's head when you first do the dual world stuff in the funeral home.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep!
Is it intentional? Weird.

Couple hours in and it's intriguing. Slow, but with tons of atmosphere.
Nice score. Track playing when you meet *redacted* sounds an awful lot like a song from the movie Akira.

An interesting game so far.

I thought someone said it doesn't have jump scares? Right.
Yep same exact spot it happened with mine. Doesn't seem intentional, but since it's happening in the same place to all of us i assume it's a graphical bug. Not sure how noone noticed this in testing lol

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That visual glitch was mentioned in the Digital Foundry video. It's a bug.

Anyway, several hours into the game. Enjoying it so far. Reminds me of the old horror games from the early 3D days.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing on Series S, it does look pretty great to be honest. When it's dual screen though, you can almost count the pixels around the main character though haha. Having fun so far.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bwuh that prologue was not good for me mentally, seeing as how I had to say goodbye to my grandmother 2 days ago...

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
The game hooks me, it's intriguing and that soundtrack is amazing.
Was not expecting much of it but it seems it's a nice surprise.
Playing it on series X and no problems so far. Great art design too.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know what the LPV setting do? It crashes my PC when on and it's off by default.

I'm guessing Light Propagation Volume. It's like a voxilized representation in the scene where bounced/indirect light will occur. Simplified version of Global Illumination. I believe Fable Legends was one of the first games it was used in/was created in conjunction with.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
As a big fan of classic Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Maniac mansion and the like this game is amazing so far!!

plays so good on Series X!!

really surprised, Gamepass is so awesome.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Really liking this game so far. I absolutely love the art style and the cinematography. Almost every inch of the game feels like you are playing through gorgeous concept art or photos. Really liking the old-school feel with the fixed cameras.

The story is off to a nice, but typically relaxed pace, the introduction of the main character is very well placed.

Also love the spirit world, extraordinary artwork and great atmosphere so far. The game also has some nice, suitably creepy moments, and a generally brooding scenario.

Can't wait to play more.

I have it installed on a SATA SSD

Ok, interesting. I will boot it up on my PC on both, and see how it runs. I'm curious if this is a universal problem, or something that can be solved by playing with settings. 8bdon't remember hearing digital Foundry call this out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying it so far. Got through the first chase sequence and it's giving me a lot of great Silent Hill vibes.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised but glad so many people here like it. I love static camera angles, love older horror games, music is fantastic, but the game is just... boring. Like really really boring. I'm easy to scare and despite sudden loud noises and a jump scare annoying me its not all that scary imo.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Does windows HDR work on this game, I know in general HDR on PC is garbage. It looks like I get crushed blacks with it on.

is there any way to get good HDR on PC?

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I'm stuck here, wth

20210129-021401.jpg

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm enjoying this game so far, digging the dual reality stuff, but the technical side is rather rough.

Some strange artifacts in this game:

Feb 19, 2018
Playing the game via Gamepass on PC and have some issues with my DS4 controller. Nothing gamebreaking, but the Y button for reading doesn't work (have to press R on my keyboard instead) and when I had to hold the X button for the lighting machine to develop the first photo I had to use KBM again because holding the X button did nothing. Also I have to use the analog stick for menus, because using the digipad always jumps past the next option/selection.

Did anyone find a solution for these problems? I already tried the "hide DS4" option in DS4windows, but it didn't change a thing.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No spoilers screenshots here but I'm glad my three years old budget GPU is still handling next gen games quite decently, for now at least!

Really love the dual reality stuff. Didn't see the point in trailers but it makes for really cool visuals in game.
3loyis3.png

Jun 10, 2018
The game is really good so far aside from some of the technical issues, ~5 hours in.
These artifacts part of the game or some GPU related thing?

I'm enjoying this game so far, digging the dual reality stuff, but the technical side is rather rough.

Some strange artifacts in this game:

I get the same things on the Xbox Series X every now and then. Seen them during a certain cut-scene as well (in the spoiler below). Such odd visual artifacts.

During the cut-scene with Thomas, some parts would have colored artifacts only on his face. The rest of it was fine.

Oct 27, 2017
I went in expecting something with strong atmosphere and pretty visuals and I am impressed. Only played a few hours and just got to that conference with the names of the attendees. If you like narrative driven games like Edith Finch or Plague Tale, you'll be into this.

There is some jank with that weird hair pixel bug during a couple cutscenes but the actual experience feels super polished, like the level designer and artists went down each hallway hundreds of times before tuning all the lighting and camera movements just right.

Warning that if you don't like creepy games, this will make you very uncomfortable. There's no combat or jump scares but it's the type of horror that just keeps digging relentlessly under your skin.