• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
the-medium-game-art_feature.jpg

CnGAlyN.png

Platform(s): Xbox Series X|S, PC
Release Date: January 28th, 2020
Genre: Horror
Price: $49.99 USD or free with Xbox Game Pass
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
ESRB Rating: M
Developer: Bloober Team
Publisher: Bloober Team
Metacritic: ?
Opencritic: ?

OT BEST ENJOYED IN LIGHT MODE

CONTENT WARNING: Without delving into spoilers, there is a plot twist about 3-4 hours into the game, when you are placed in a wheelchair. It deals with subject material that is incredibly sensitive, and the handling of it appears to be quite divisive. The section as of writing is unskippable. It does further the plot but is hardly alluded to after, and nothing in great detail is shown. If you feel uncomfortable, my recommendation would be to turn off audio and subtitles and just play through the section, get a friend to play through it for you, or if need be retire the game.

Medium_Gif_1.gif

The Medium is a third-person psychological horror game that features patented dual-reality gameplay and an original soundtrack co-composed by Arkadiusz Reikowski and Akira Yamaoka.

702.png

1_BECOME_A_MEDIUM.gif

Wield unique psychic abilities reserved for those with the gift. Travel between the realities or explore them both at the very same time. Use the Out of Body experience to investigate places where your real-world self can't go. Create energy shields and deliver powerful spirit blasts to survive the spirit world and its otherworldly dangers.

703.png

2_SEE_WHAT%E2%80%99S_HIDDEN.gif

Delve deep into a mature and morally ambiguous story, where nothing is what it seems and everything has another side. As a medium you see, hear and experience more than others, and with every new perspective you will change your perception on what happened at the Niwa resort.
704.png

3_PLAY_IN_TWO_WORLDS_AT_THE_SAME_TIME.gif

Never-seen-before and officially patented gameplay that plays out across two worlds displayed at the same time. Explore the physical world and the spirit world simultaneously, and use the interactions between them to solve dual-reality puzzles, unlock new paths, and awaken memories of past events.
705.png

4_ENTER_A_DARK_REALITY_INSPIRED_BY_BEKSI%C5%83SKI.gif

The Medium's spirit world is a dark mirror reflection of our reality, a grim and unsettling place where our unpunished deeds, evil urges, and vile secrets manifest themselves and can take on a form. This world has been invented and designed under the inspiration of Zdzisław Beksiński's paintings, Polish dystopian surrealist internationally recognized for his distinctive and strikingly ominous style.

706.png

5_MUSIC_BY_YAMAOKA___REIKOWSKI.gif

Immerse yourself in the disturbing and oppressive atmosphere of the game thanks to the original 'dual' soundtrack co-created by Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski. Yamaoka-san is a legendary Japanese composer best known for his work on the Silent Hill series; Reikowski is a Hollywood Music in Media Awards nominee who worked on such acclaimed horror games as Blair Witch, Layers of Fear, and Observer. Now they join their creative forces for the music and songs of The Medium.

T8d3xTQ.png

Q: What is this game?
A: The latest horror game from Bloober Team, developers of >Observer, Blair Witch and the Layers of Fear Series.

Q: Is it coming to PS5?
A: Bloober Team currently has no stated plans to bring the game to PS5, as their focus is on the Xbox Ecosystem platforms (Series X|S and PC) but it may come at a later date.

Q: Is it on Xbox One?
A: No. The Medium is a next-gen title that pushes the limits of the new hardware, and thus will not be on Xbox One.

Q: Is it coming to XCloud?
A: As of writing, XCloud's consumer-facing server blades are based on Xbox One SOCs so no. However, when the server blades are switched to Series X hardware, a port cannot be ruled out.

Q: Is this game coming to Xbox Game Pass on day one?
A: Yes! However, not every Bloober Team title has stayed on the service in perpetuity so be sure to enjoy sooner rather than later.

Q: What is the performance of the game?
A: 4K 30fps on Series X and 1080p 30fps on Series S, variable on PC. Raytracing on both Xbox platforms.

Q: When does the review embargo lift?
A: January 27th at 9am EST.

Q: What are the system requirements on PC?

A:

Minimum settings

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 / AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500X
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: @1080p NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon™ R9 390X (or equivalent with 4 GB VRAM)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 30 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended
Recommended settings

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9600 / AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: @1080p NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti / Radeon™ RX Vega 56 | @4K NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070 / Radeon™ RX 5700 XT
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 30 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended
  • Additional Notes: NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080 for 4K with ray tracing on.

lQJCiJf.png

You've only seen half so far • The Medium (themediumgame.com)

The Medium | Xbox

Profile / Twitter

Thanks to Bloober Team for the gifs and text, and Dancrane212 for the logo. Apologies for imperfect background removal on the last two headers. I made them by scratch and don't have great editing software.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Great OT!

Looking forward to giving this game a heartfelt try. It looks pretty good, I hope the whole experience lives up to my positive impressions so far.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That thread title lol ... looking forward to absorbing all of this info.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
cant wait, not expecting a masterpiece but should be a nice shorter game to run thru over the weekend, been wanting a more horror/thriller experience and RE8 is still a few months away so this will fill that hole

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Really hyped for this, I'll wait on getting my new laptop sometime next month tho.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It seems weird to me that the OT for a horror game works better in light mode. ;)

Jokes aside, great OT!
I'm intrigued by the game, and Game Pass means I have no reason not to try it out.

May 10, 2019
Great OT! Been wanting to play this but still hunting for a Series X console. I'm hoping it's sooner than later.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I'm excited, because I love horror and the mechanics of this game look great, but I don't know that I should be.
Blair Witch was not so much scary as it was me running around pitch black hoping to stumble into the puzzle solution. And layers of fear was a strong Meh.
Here's hoping!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This game seems neat and I was gonna check it out on Game Pass, but the Xbox app has done the thing again where it doesn't display any games rated above 12.
So I won't be able to until Microsoft eventually hopefully fixes this glitch for a second time. They should stop introducing it, really.

Never-seen-before and officially patented gameplay
It's absurd that this is being used to sell the game. Patenting gameplay is dumb and shouldn't be a thing.

Bloober Team can claim they're not going to act on it however much they want, but the risk of a lawsuit or having to pay a license fee is now there if anyone else gets near whatever this patent describes. So it's a reason not to. Imagine all the loading screen hijinks we've missed out on because of Namco being dumb patent assholes.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Cute title lol. Really been looking forward to this since I've been somewhat itching for a horror game and something that actually pushes the new hardware.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This game seems neat and I was gonna check it out on Game Pass, but the Xbox app has done the thing again where it doesn't display any games rated above 12.
So I won't be able to until Microsoft eventually hopefully fixes this glitch for a second time. They should stop introducing it, really.

You can't even change it in your settings or anything?

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Loved Blair Witch so super pumped for this. Got it on my series x already.

Also would have been cool to do an OT that's half readable on light mode, then if you use dark mode more text appears. (Or something)

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Obligatory 'Gamepass so why not'..

In all honesty this game looks like it has potential to be pretty damn good.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a gamepass game to test out my new pc, this might do it.

Some of the footage looked amazing, but a few scenes looked weirdly uneven. Still, the concept sounds interesting if nothing else.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love horror games! Have a feeling I'm going to love it no matter what.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play this but I don't have a PC that can run it, and I can't find an Xbox Series X anywhere (legit).

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't realize this was coming out so soon. Good for the heads up, set it to pre-install to my Xbox.

darkkinder

Oct 28, 2020
Do we know if Mary Elizabeth Mcglyn participated with Akira Yamaoka for the OST? I would love to see them together again, Mary Elizabeth has such a fantastic voice

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread but

Is there any word on a physical release? I was gonna preorder it to play it Day 1 but if there's no physical release I'll wait for it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I posted this in the other thread but

Is there any word on a physical release? I was gonna preorder it to play it Day 1 but if there's no physical release I'll wait for it.

None that I know of and since they have no publisher backer and, no my knowledge, no game they worked on has ever had a physical release, it's doubtful this will get one unless it ends up being a big hit

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Do we know if Mary Elizabeth Mcglyn participated with Akira Yamaoka for the OST? I would love to see them together again, Mary Elizabeth has such a fantastic voice

She did.

youtu.be

The Medium - 9 Uncanny Facts

The Medium is a game about untangling a mystery. A terrifying secret that stretches further and deeper than our real world. But the story of The Medium is ev...

It's one of the facts in here. I forget which