• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You confirmed that The Medium will feature combat through the protagonist's unique powers. How prevalent is the action element in this game, then?

While action is prevalent throughout The Medium, it's not the focus of the game. Instead, we
use it to punctuate and enhance the story we are telling. We really want players to experience and feel the mystery alongside Marianne as she unravels it.

Our action sequences are more about Marianne's survival than combat, so lean closer to those in Amnesia than something more action-focused, like Resident Evil. As such Marianne's powers are primarily there to aid in her defense and help her escape the enemies she encounters.

You've previously cited the next-gen Xbox's SSD as a critical factor to enable the Dual Reality gameplay. However, it doesn't seem like there is an SSD requirement on PC. Will loading times on PC be much slower than on Xbox Series S or X?

It goes without saying that the arrival of new consoles allows us to work with greatly improved hardware, and this is undoubtedly the case with the Xbox Series X. At Bloober we take advantage of level-streaming tech to load all titles, so the inclusion of an SSD in the new Xbox has allowed us to take things to another level.

As we've been using level-streaming in our games for a long time, we have made every effort to ensure that the experience on a PC running the recommended specs is as close as possible to that on the new Microsoft console. For PC players, SSD is recommended but not required, so yes, loading times will be increased when using an HDD. That being said there's quite a bit of difference between console and PC architecture.

To get a little more technical, PC linear transfer from a standard HDD is 100MB/s on average, while the previous generation of consoles have just a third of this value. So when you couple that with the IO cache that a PC's operating system manages, you get loading times of only a few seconds longer than the average SSD. Sure, you'll see some texture pop-in here and there, but you'll still be able to enjoy The Medium from an HDD.

Which ray tracing features will be available in The Medium? Are there any technical differences between the various versions in this and other regards (resolution, frame rate, etc.?)

We have two supported ray tracing modes for The Medium - Performance Mode that has enabled reflections and RTAO in all performant location (when only one word is rendered), and Quality Mode, which features reflections, RTAO, hybrid translucent, and some RT shadows enabled for the whole game world. The latter is paired with DLSS and some other Nvidia improvements but requires a lot of hardware power.

The team is still working to optimize The Medium across Xbox Series X and S and we will be
able to share more details on these versions closer to launch.

The Medium Interview - Bloober Team on Exclusivity, Ray Tracing Support (wccftech.com)

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm really curious about it just because I'm a fan of Horror games but my gut screams 6/10 jank-fest at me every time I check out gameplay.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear action isn't the game's primary focus. Combat heavy takes on survival horror like Dead Space or RE4 are fine, but not really my preference.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Ill give it a go, but I feel its just gamepass flavor of the week. It will release and be forgotten about within a day.

Ill play on pc and contrary to my post I am excited.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I haven't enjoying anything Bloober Team have released but I'll always give their newest projects a chance. Maybe this one will be moderately enjoyable.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Sounds like a bloober release then lol. I get the same vibes tbh. I just don't think this is going to be the new silent hill some people are hoping it will be.

I'm actually not familiar with them. I also somehow missed the bit about combat being closer to Amnesia, so I'm gonna have to get this on the inevitable deep-as-fuck sale in like two years.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I enjoyed the Layers of Fear games on PC. Unfortunately their console ports are always so bad and janky, it makes the games seem worse than they actually are. Hopefully The Medium bucks that trend, but given they're talking about PC performance options and still can't talk about anything for Xbox yet suggests PC is the lead platform again.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really into horror games but I'm really curious about the dual-reality gameplay and tech.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Looks a bit jank...but I'll definitely try it for the visuals. The quality mode sounds legit.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'll play it and I dig the general idea of what they are attempting and want to support and I know that it was going to be that, but reading anything about the combat or lack thereof is always a gut punch. I honestly think I'd rather they just have no normal enemies and focus on puzzles than do the whole hide and seeker thing frankly, and have enemy encounters be like be set pieces or some such.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's on Gamepass. and it apparently already preloaded almost 30GB for me, so I will give it a go when it unlocks near the end of the month

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Launching on gamepass, we've barely seen anything of the game since it was announced,game has a not-so-insignificant pre-order discount on steam on top of launching $10 less than the normal cost of games before we got this new current gen pricing and idk how many AAA titles get pre-order discounts on this platform. I'm going to assume they haven't been showing this game off for a reason.

I'll watch streams when it's out before I dive in, seems interesting but it sounds like the writing is on the wall when you consider these factors.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Launching on gamepass, we've barely seen anything of the game since it was announced,game has a not-so-insignificant pre-order discount on steam on top of launching $10 less than the normal cost of games before we got this new current gen pricing and idk how many AAA titles get pre-order discounts on this platform. I'm going to assume they haven't been showing this game off for a reason.

I'll watch streams when it's out before I dive in, seems interesting but it sounds like the writing is on the wall when you consider these factors.

I mean, I feel we've seen a decent amount honestly? There was that gameplay demo not long ago, and I feel like there was another earlier.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I mean, I feel we've seen a decent amount honestly? There was that gameplay demo not long ago, and I feel like there was another earlier.

The only one I remember seeing was from the same conference where they showed halo infinite. Not sure if there's been one since and if there has, I haven't seen anyone talking about it in the games media that I follow so I'm assuming they haven't shown much since.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The only one I remember seeing was from the same conference where they showed halo infinite. Not sure if there's been one since and if there has, I haven't seen anyone talking about it in the games media that I follow so I'm assuming they haven't shown much since.

Oh, there has definitely been more since then if that's what you're talking about. They done stuff showing off the Dual Reality, the main monster that Troy Baker is voicing and one showing off a side character.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Bloober Team typically puts out "full price"/$60 games.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
Our action sequences are more about Marianne's survival than combat, so lean closer to those in Amnesia than something more action-focused, like Resident Evil. As such Marianne's powers are primarily there to aid in her defense and help her escape the enemies she encounters.

tenor.gif

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I could see it becoming a sleeper hit like A Plague Tale: Innocence.

But I'm not sure if they can pull it off looking at their past output.

The backtracking regarding the SSD is also not a good sign that the dual realitly feature will be something mindblowing.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see it becoming a sleeper hit like A Plague Tale: Innocence.

But I'm not sure if they can pull it off looking at their past output.

The backtracking regarding the SSD is also not a good sign that the dual realitly feature will be something mindblowing.
I don't think the dual reality feature was ever meant to be "mindblowing". It's best you lower your expectations in that regard.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I don't think the dual reality feature was ever meant to be "mindblowing". It's best you lower your expectations in that regard.

You're probably right.

Honestly, I haven't followed the marketing of the game too closely.

I just assumed that the goal was to make the Dual Reality a showcase of the next gen SSD similar to the portals in R&C: Rift Apart.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're probably right.

Honestly, I haven't followed the marketing of the game too closely.

I just assumed that the goal was to make the Dual Reality a showcase of the next gen SSD similar to the portals in R&C: Rift Apart.
I think the more important thing is whether the system itself enhances the overall experience. So far I have yet to see anything from being in both realities simultaneously that couldn't be accomplished by switching back and forth between worlds.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually not familiar with them. I also somehow missed the bit about combat being closer to Amnesia, so I'm gonna have to get this on the inevitable deep-as-fuck sale in like two years.

The games I've played from them are layers of fear and observer. Neither of which play or perform well and fail at being scary, which...is pretty important in a horror game. But then their games aren't full price either, but even with adjusted expectations their output is very janky.

What happened regarding the series X version of Observer btw? Did it get the missing raytracing option that was in the PS5 version?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I want this to be good but Bloober''s track record is so damn spotty. I initially liked Layers of Fear when it first came out because at the time there weren't many of these walking sim type horror games Bloober likes doing...problem is they do them over, and over, and over again. Observer is their strongest by virtue of the stronger story and Hauer's VO, and at least they mixed up the formula with the scanning investigation mode. Blair Witch was pretty awful, maybe their weakest, so I really hope they managed to turn things around for The Medium. If they can get some decent puzzles in there with a serviceable plot that isn't just "things are getting increasingly weirder and more intense!" to the end this could be a solid 8/10. Never expected anything on the level of a Team Silent SH game from this.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
"Dual reality" always was a fairly stupid thing to advertise as a next gen feature. There's nothing in current gen systems, with HDDs and all, which prevents them from implementing something similar, with lower details and performance.