• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CvGz

Sep 3, 2018
XSX is 8C/16T and one core (two threads) is reserved for the OS (i.e. 7C/14T)

Microsoft is on the record that the baseline for the Zen2 CPU in the Series X is running at 3.8 Ghz with SMT Off (No HT, 3.6 Ghz if devs want to enable SMT). The fact that the requirements chart shows the 9700k (has no HT) , I'd wager The Medium is running 6/7c on the XSX

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Even this gen, we are not seeing anything close to as insane as the X360/PS3 which were more powerful than what you could really even feasibly get on PC when they released.
360 had some GPU features that were yet to be included in PC GPUs (unified shaders) and was almost as performant as top GPUs, but by the time PS3 came out in late 2006, GF8800GTX was running circles around both consoles.

If the game comes out and runs like shit on PC for how it looks/what it's doing, especially compared to the console versions, people absolutely can complain about the required specs.
Agreed. I am expecting bad performance across PC and console, the gameplay video from a week ago was super rough.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
360 had some GPU features that were yet to be included in PC GPUs (unified shaders) and was almost as performant as top GPUs, but by the time PS3 came out in late 2006, GF8800GTX was running circles around both consoles.

Agreed. I am expecting bad performance across PC and console, the gameplay video from a week ago was super rough.

Exactly, but we already have the 3080 and 3090 beating consoles. I don't think we'll ever see another generation like it used to be with everything coalescing under x86. Not until we see some ARM power house at least, that could be something.

The console I/O could be comparable, but I'm not convinced they're as transformative to the experience.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, but we already have the 3080 and 3090 beating consoles. I don't think we'll ever see another generation like it used to be with everything coalescing under x86. Not until we see some ARM power house at least, that could be something.

The console I/O could be comparable, but I'm not convinced they're as transformative to the experience.
I'm hoping my 3080 lasts 4 years at 1440p, it should, but RTX is so damn expensive that I feel like any game without DLSS is gonna have to have RTX off to play at 60 fps

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I'm hoping my 3080 lasts 4 years at 1440p, it should, but RTX is so damn expensive that I feel like any game without DLSS is gonna have to have RTX off to play at 60 fps

I don't think you'll see many games with heavy ray tracing without support for DLSS. The two go hand in hand and I think there's general acceptance that DLSS is necessary when enabling RT.

It's what makes AMD's abysmal RT performance all the more of an issue. Slow RT and no DLSS just means that very few are ever going to enable RT (outside of maybe shadows or mirror reflections) on AMD cards as the performance hit is just too much. It feels more like a token feature than something actually useful to anyone. A spec sheet tick box more than a genuine attempt to deliver real time ray tracing at acceptable performance.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

With how terrible AMD's RT performance seems to be, I fully expect to see cut down ray tracing in most titles.

DLSS is typically present where RT has been so far so hopefully that trend continues as well, it'll certainly help a lot.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is less a performance question but going off that Nvidia video posted earlier in the thread does The Medium allow you to focus on one world at a time and swap your view between the two or is it constantly showing dual view? The latter is an interesting concept in theory but I can see it end up annoying me if we're stuck with it for general exploration, not a fan of sacrificing screen real estate like that for the entirety of a playthrough.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
As you replace your broken monocle and clean your mouth from the justified vomit rage, youll realize those are specs reccomendations. There has been no confirmation of a limit of 30fps on pc.

Devs confirmed that you can turn 30fps limit off, but based on those specs, there isn't hardware that can run at above 30fps.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Can't wait to murder my laptop and run from danger at 10 fps. I've got a weird affection for bloober's games, jank and all. Part of it is probably how endearing it is to me that they named their studio "BLOOBER" for fuck's sakes. Come fight me, trapezoid head!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ugh, I really don't wanna upgrade but it seems I'm at a mismatch with my 3600X for games going forward.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Devs confirmed that you can turn 30fps limit off, but based on those specs, there isn't hardware that can run at above 30fps.

Given it can scale down to a GTX 1060 - I'd be surprised if it was impossible to run at above 30fps on significantly faster cards. You can turn down settings and resolution...

I suspect the game may struggle in general at higher framerates though given the developers suggestion that '30fps is more cinematic'.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I didnt really follow this game, what does it look like? Those requirements seem very high

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Uhhh PS4/XONE was like the only generation where the consoles were woefully underpowered

Even this gen, we are not seeing anything close to as insane as the X360/PS3 which were more powerful than what you could really even feasibly get on PC when they released.

If the game comes out and runs like shit on PC for how it looks/what it's doing, especially compared to the console versions, people absolutely can complain about the required specs.
I will be honest and say I somewhat forgot about the 360 and it having unified shaders before GPUs. As someone pointed out, the PS3's release had PC in a better position so I think that's what my memory was recalling.

I will standby though my claim that this generation has a far better tech spec punch on launc, especially with how"future proof" it could be thanks to the SSD inclusion. Obviously there will be developers offering up complex scenes, or worse yet ones with horrible optimisation in hopes of cramming their game into the system to just work. However, I'm hopeful we see some truly stunning games like this one, with two completely intact worlds being rendered at once.
I don't think you'll see many games with heavy ray tracing without support for DLSS. The two go hand in hand and I think there's general acceptance that DLSS is necessary when enabling RT.

It's what makes AMD's abysmal RT performance all the more of an issue. Slow RT and no DLSS just means that very few are ever going to enable RT (outside of maybe shadows or mirror reflections) on AMD cards as the performance hit is just too much. It feels more like a token feature than something actually useful to anyone. A spec sheet tick box more than a genuine attempt to deliver real time ray tracing at acceptable performance.
Personally I argue that RT is still in its infancy when it comes to video game usage. Yes it looks prettt, but the sheer toll on FPS you take just turning it on is tremendous. Of course DLSS is there to help rectify that to a degree, but it's still not worth that trade off to me yet.

Not to mention that, again in my opinion, by turning on RT you are losing out on performance and in some way reducing the capability of cards that cost an arm and a leg. It's pretty sure, but I think I am in the position of just not caring for pretty light reflections to increase atmosphere. For me that can be achieved for art style or higher quality models/textures.

I did buy a 6800XT, however this isn't me defending the performance RT gets on those cards. AMD now has the support there, and much like Nvidia's 2000 series, it'll build on that and grow. Yes it's disappointing but least we got some cards that actually pack a punch on their own without RT.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they show 30fps requirements?
No PC gamer is ever going to want to play at 30 unless they really, really, really have to.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Requirements are crazy high, and for 30 fps. The visuals look like a low budget last-gen game, and with a fixed camera.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Personally I argue that RT is still in its infancy when it comes to video game usage.
Did you try Miles Morales with performance RT? The world felt flat in perfomance mode vs quality mode, performance RT mode is straight up witchcraft. The lighting off diffuse surfaces really make the streets more lifelike.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a GTX 1060 6GB. Can only run this at minimum settings. I'll probably skip this one unfortunately.
Sorry to say, but that GPU isn't going to run many new games from here on out.(my 1050 ti laptop is in the same boat, even war zone at this point requires a lot of tinkering to get 60 fps locked).

With consoles having a baseline of 2070 superish specs, expect requirements to jump drastically in the next year or so.
With how terrible AMD's RT performance seems to be, I fully expect to see cut down ray tracing in most titles.

DLSS is typically present where RT has been so far so hopefully that trend continues as well, it'll certainly help a lot.
Yeah that does seem to be the case. RT also at this point isn't worth it performance cost wise. If I can get 60 fps in Single Player games with DLSS Quality I'll leave it as is, but games like CoD I will prioritize pushing 144 fps over RT every time.

I know RT is the future, but it's still not at a good performance cost to visuals ratio yet and the only reason it is viable at all is DLSS.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Given it can scale down to a GTX 1060 - I'd be surprised if it was impossible to run at above 30fps on significantly faster cards. You can turn down settings and resolution...

I suspect the game may struggle in general at higher framerates though given the developers suggestion that '30fps is more cinematic'.
None of that does much for CPU load though. If these requirements were accurate it would be impossible to hit 60fps as no CPU can deliver 2x game performance as the ones mentioned in the requirements. Thankfully these requirements are almost never very accurate.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I just started watching the 14 minute video, and man, they really went for those Silent Hill 2 vibes. I don't have much faith in the story or the splitscreen gameplay though. Nevertheless I'll gladly give it a try through gamepass.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
None of that does much for CPU load though. If these requirements were accurate it would be impossible to hit 60fps as no CPU can deliver 2x game performance as the ones mentioned in the requirements. Thankfully these requirements are almost never very accurate.
This only matters if the game is CPU bound, which I doubt.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Double these and you'll get to 60.
But I really doubt that this will actually be the case.
It's dangerous to promise 60fps in the system requirements anyway.

Might as well under-promise with 30fps targets and let people figure out how to scale up from there.

1060 as minimum?! What? I guess this one is for PS5 on sale. Got PC game pass but i doubt a 1660ti laptop can run this well.
The 1660 Ti's lack of tensor cores is really going to hurt its longevity versus the 2060.

Last edited: