• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
There's no way that otherwise comparable Nvidia and AMD GPUs are offering similar RT performance, even with DLSS off.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Looking at these specs I'm guessing bloobers fetish of choking hardware by not optimizing continues.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ummmm what's all this 30 FPS business about

Also, LOL @ 3700X being recommended instead of 3600

I'm old enough to remember when games didn't need anything more than a 3600

and by old enough, I mean late 2019

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
A 6 core ryzen for minimum settings has me utterly baffled.
Baseline game development is 8c/16t now. Welcome to a new generation.

I honestly wonder if they meant to put the i5-8600 as the minimum CPU because there is no way a 4c/4t CPU is going to hold up.

Hopefully the laptop I plan on getting can run it well(ASUS TUF Dash F15), the only thing that scares me is the CPU that seems rather meh.
The low-powered quad core CPUs in the Dash F15 are going to be a serious bottleneck in the near future, as minimum specs transition to 6-core CPUs.

I'm hesitant to call it a solid purchase if you are keeping it long term.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly wonder if they meant to put the i5-8600 as the minimum CPU because there is no way a 4c/4t CPU is going to hold up.

The low-powered quad core CPUs in the Dash F15 are going to be a serious bottleneck in the near future, as minimum specs transition to 6-core CPUs.

The biggest Intel chip they are recommending only has 8c/8t. I really doubt this has anything to do with the core/thread count on consoles. They are also recommending a 6c/6t chip for like half of these presets...

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
XSX baseline is 8C/8T actually.
And one or two of these are reserved for OS tasks.
So 6C/6T or at least 7C/7C can be seen as a baseline.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

Any alternative with similar power without breaking much more bank? My budget is around 1500 max right now

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I see no medium settings... so disappointed by this unfortunate lack of jokey joke opportunity.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The biggest Intel chip they are recommending only has 8c/8t. I really doubt this has anything to do with the core/thread count on consoles. They are also recommending a 6c/6t chip for like half of these presets...
They recommended the lowest end 8-core chip on each side, back to a certain generation.

I don't take the specs literally, it's more of a guidance from which we can make inferences. To me it says you need at least 6c/6t but 8c/16t is the ideal.

Of course these core counts have everything to do with the new gen consoles.

Any alternative with similar power without breaking much more bank? My budget is around 1500 max right now
Well, the full industry wide NDAs are up on the 26th, then we will have the full picture and know prices on all of the available laptops. You will for sure be able to swing a powerful machine with an 8-core Ryzen CPU for $1500.

Keep track of and come hang out with us in the Gaming Laptop recommendation thread, as I and others are constantly posting the latest news and sharing recommendations.

Drop a post with exactly what you are seeking and we'll find the best fit.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Haven't seen anything from the game that justifies these specs. Good thing is on Game Pass so it won't take much to try it out.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that has me kind of puzzled tbh. The whole list is just weird for a lot of reasons.
The emphasis on AMD GPUs has all signs leaning towards a hard no.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Weirdly high recommended specs for a game that looks good but not, like, "holy shitballs!" good. makes me suspect we are gonna be looking at some rough optimization.

That or the chart is extremely conservative, which also sometimes is the case.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly high recommended specs for a game that looks good but not, like, "holy shitballs!" good. makes me suspect we are gonna be looking at some rough optimization.

That or the chart is extremely conservative, which also sometimes is the case.
1st generation raytracing on AMD GPUs is super duper expensive.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Yeah that has me kind of puzzled tbh. The whole list is just weird for a lot of reasons.

It will according to Nvidia

www.nvidia.com

RTX Technologies, Including DLSS and Ray Tracing, Come To Call of Duty: Warzone, Outriders, Five Nights At Freddy’s: Security Breach, The Medium, and More

Watch exclusive RTX trailers and learn more about all the titles adding these game-changing technologies.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
They recommended the lowest end 8-core chip on each side, back to a certain generation.

I don't take the specs literally, it's more of a guidance from which we can make inferences. To me it says you need at least 6c/6t but 8c/16t is the ideal.

Of course these core counts have everything to do with the new gen consoles.

Well, the full industry wide NDAs are up on the 26th, then we will have the full picture and know prices on all of the available laptops. You will for sure be able to swing a powerful machine with an 8-core Ryzen CPU for $1500.

Keep track of and come hang out with us in the Gaming Laptop recommendation thread, as I and others are constantly posting the latest news and sharing recommendations.

Drop a post with exactly what you are seeking and we'll find the best fit.
Thanks a lot, I will :)

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
jfc, ultra at 4k is literally my rig XD. i79700k/rtx 2080 S. Too bad I don't have a 4k monitor. Will stick to Xbox Series X and the big screen me thinks.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

" GeForce RTX gamers can explore The Medium's creepy areas and mind-bending twists on reality with real-time ray-traced reflections and shadows. And so you can enjoy these spooky ray-traced visuals at smooth frame rates, Bloober Team's also adding support for NVIDIA DLSS at launch on January 28th. Take a look at both technologies in action in our new, exclusive RTX ON trailer: "

www.nvidia.com

RTX Technologies, Including DLSS and Ray Tracing, Come To Call of Duty: Warzone, Outriders, Five Nights At Freddy’s: Security Breach, The Medium, and More

Watch exclusive RTX trailers and learn more about all the titles adding these game-changing technologies.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I mean, the engine is basically running two games at once in a lot of cases from the looks of it. It's no surprise that this next gen only game is gonna be intensive as hell.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
That's demanding; game doesn't even look especially impressive outside of a couple locations in the recent RTX trailer.
Wonder how SX version will compare with requirements like those.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the engine is basically running two games at once in a lot of cases from the looks of it. It's no surprise that this next gen only game is gonna be intensive as hell.
I don't think people realise what the game actually is, and are just simply reacting to the chart specs as they are. People also need to remember we've moved into next-gen now, low core/thread count CPUs will not cut it for PC games alongside GPUs that are going to get thrashed with RTX increases. More developers will utilise the XSX/PS5 specs and expect PC users to have similar setups for the real whizbang graphic settings.

This doesn't usually happen in a new gen, as for the most part consoles are playing catch up but as well PC users have been able to enjoy stagnant specs thanks to especially last gen running so long. Now we have consoles with some beefy parts in them, so developers are 100% going to utilise that to the extreme. Of course add on top optimisation difficulties some studios notoriously have, and you'll see developers hamfist PC performance by requiring higher specs.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Looks like my recent build could run RT High settings, but I honestly wasn't planning on playing this... however, I've been playing games that have Ray Tracing so I can get some nice eye candy and properly utilize my hardware. Ghostrunner is a good example of a game I wasn't planning on playing but decided to buy for the fact it has Ray Tracing, and I ended up really enjoying it... So I guess we'll see about this.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sadly it's probably gonna be another game that you're just gonna have to turn RTX off for good performance and high res. Love that it's supporting DLSS tho.
Yeah, I am so glad DLSS exists. It's funny how I didn't care at all about DLSS when I got my GPU, but now it's the defining feature of my 2070 and what will make it last, with this game being one. Of course my CPU is a 6600k which is the bottleneck in everything lol.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I don't think people realise what the game actually is, and are just simply reacting to the chart specs as they are. People also need to remember we've moved into next-gen now, low core/thread count CPUs will not cut it for PC games alongside GPUs that are going to get thrashed with RTX increases. More developers will utilise the XSX/PS5 specs and expect PC users to have similar setups for the real whizbang graphic settings.

This doesn't usually happen in a new gen, as for the most part consoles are playing catch up but as well PC users have been able to enjoy stagnant specs thanks to especially last gen running so long. Now we have consoles with some beefy parts in them, so developers are 100% going to utilise that to the extreme. Of course add on top optimisation difficulties some studios notoriously have, and you'll see developers hamfist PC performance by requiring higher specs.
Yeah, I think a lot people are shell shocked by how demanding games are this early in a console new generation, lol. That's what happens when said machines are very powerful from the get go, and aren't playing catch up; developers and studios aren't just going to sit on their hands when the hardware is there for them to use. I expect most games now going forward that are cross platform on PC, will have similar charts to The Medium. Plus, the game is stunning from what we've seen in videos; I can only imagine how it translates to an in person experience.

That said, I'm very excited to see how my rig will handle this beast.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

Uhhh PS4/XONE was like the only generation where the consoles were woefully underpowered

Even this gen, we are not seeing anything close to as insane as the X360/PS3 which were more powerful than what you could really even feasibly get on PC when they released.

If the game comes out and runs like shit on PC for how it looks/what it's doing, especially compared to the console versions, people absolutely can complain about the required specs.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to try this out on Game Pass on Series X, kind of preparing myself for the worst. Observer on XB1X was one of the most unstable games I've ever played in terms of performance, just swinging wildly from 60FPS to single digits every time you moved the camera or crossed a room.