• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
Since Earth has a heap of Gods, do all worlds have their own Gods?
Yes
And if so, are they also real?
Yes
Are there eight billion gods roaming about doing their own thing?
Yes
Because that seems like a lot of powerful beings who could have helped stop Thanos, instead of like.. watching a guy with a shield do it.
Some probably didn't care, didn't know, not powerful enough to do anything about etc.
And did half the Gods go in the snap as well, or are they immune?
Maybe, depends on how strong/powerful they are
Was Thor never in real danger from it?
I think some Asgardians were also snapped.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
With the birth of the multiverse, none of it matters so don't worry about it.

I think the multiverse will be seen as the cinematic version of "The Death of Superman". It'll be the point in time where everything is cheapened and nothing of real stakes ever comes of comic movies because it can all be overwritten, changed or retconned to fit whatever is needed at the time.

Tony Stark/Iron Man dead? Doesn't matter, we'll just get a new one from a different 'verse when and if needed.
Take a wrong turn with the story and want to fix it? Quickly erase the plotline and just blame it on multiverse shenanigans with a Marvel ™ quip and comedic pause.

They are just dumb popcorn films, don't try and analyse them past that and you'll be fine.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
All this eternals hate breaks my heart lol.

Many people throughout history have claimed to have invented the exact same thing, or told history from the perspective of their own egos and thus become unreliable narrators. This isn't even remotely a plot inconsistency impossible to address.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
It was inevitable since their origins are steeped in comics. It'll only get more convoluted as they add more films, perspectives and characters.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Yes, and in the preceding sentence, again, "apparently". In one movie they said the Eternals were the basis of some Greek myths, in Thor 4 we're seemingly getting the actual Greek gods. That counts as "kinda contradicting each other", IMO. And it's fine to point out, even if the full context is still out. These trailers naturally make people wonder and bring up theories, after all.

I dunno, a number of people are definitely replying disproportionately to the OP. Being pedantic about what I said is also somewhat defensive, no offense. I think some people are a bit too uptight when it comes to any perceived "slight" towards the MCU, and it manifests in weird ways that aren't apparent for many because, well... Because the others are also doing it.
I guess I'm just confused by what you think the words "apparent", "plot hole", and "contradicting" mean. No one's being pedantic. Some people keep using words wrong, and other people are pointing it out. I doubt anyone is mad about it. There's not even anything to argue about. There's literally no contradiction that we know about because we've not seen the movie. To me it reads like you really want something to be wrong with the MCU.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017

I think the multiverse will be seen as the cinematic version of "The Death of Superman". It'll be the point in time where everything is cheapened and nothing of real stakes ever comes of comic movies because it can all be overwritten, changed or retconned to fit whatever is needed at the time.

Tony Stark/Iron Man dead? Doesn't matter, we'll just get a new one from a different 'verse when and if needed.
Take a wrong turn with the story and want to fix it? Quickly erase the plotline and just blame it on multiverse shenanigans with a Marvel ™ quip and comedic pause.

They are just dumb popcorn films, don't try and analyse them past that and you'll be fine.

Pretty much.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All this eternals hate breaks my heart lol.

Many people throughout history have claimed to have invented the exact same thing, or told history from the perspective of their own egos and thus become unreliable narrators. This isn't even remotely a plot inconsistency impossible to address.
I mean that latter can still be true and the former still be a terrible movie that's hard to sit through at best. And I say that as someone who was excited for it since they were kinda unknown to me

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
NmpX.gif

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The great thing about Marvel is that it's filled with interesting lore and tidbits of information but at the end of the day it doesn't matter too much. Spiderman is going to beat up the bad guy regardless of the fact that he is a celestial god being from a different multiverse where the Nordic gods have turned into human donkeys that have eaten the FOX X-Men cast.

With all the insane baggage they are carrying they are very capable at making it extremely simple.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
My question is whether they will get Chloe Zhao back. To be honest I think she's more suitable for movies focused on a single character's journey, emotionally and externally in terms of how they influence the people and world around them. So I think she will be great at making a Wolverine origin movie. Or Silver Surfer.
Eternals is already a Silver Surfer movie.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is how things were before and it was boring as hell. MCU is the MCU because of continuity. Take that out and you are back to square one.

I do think there's a way to make things fun, let creators have their say, have continuity between films and not have to worry too much about super strict continuity and having to, for instance, explain in every subsequent movie why a hero didn't react to a big event in the last movie. Like these are superhero comics/movies, you can suspend disbelief for that and the zany stuff that happens but can't wrap your head around there being multiple sets of inspiration for the ancient gods? Heck, I'm pretty sure both marvel and DC have separate Greek and Roman pantheons (at least DC did post Crisis).

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It is always interesting to see them shift things forward and keep stuff current, with certain characters and then its like.. .what we gonna do with Magneto?....

I wish the movies could more often exist in the same way where its like "okay fuck it all, we are going to do a bad ass Magneto run, 3 awesome movies" and have them be independent of anything else.
In the comics Magneto has been deaged by events in his life twice. (3 times now actually) He's closer to mid 40s.

It's happened to Xavier 4 times.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Since Earth has a heap of Gods, do all worlds have their own Gods? And if so, are they also real? Are there eight billion gods roaming about doing their own thing? Because that seems like a lot of powerful beings who could have helped stop Thanos, instead of like.. watching a guy with a shield do it. And did half the Gods go in the snap as well, or are they immune? Was Thor never in real danger from it?
The storyline that this upcoming movie is based on answers a lot of these questions actually! Its really good, more people should read it. The Thor: God of Thunder - God Butcher storyline

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
The Greek gods have no interest in earth when they stopped believing. They were worshipped along side the Eternals who probably influenced other religions in the past like the Mayans or alongside Kang with the Egyptians. When they left earth to seek out another planets love and attention they were only focused on their world. The Universe is massive, if there was no reason for Thanos to interact with earth there's no Thanos effectively to worry about. When you can't explain something you turn to religion for answers. So the Snap is explained away by any number of religious reasons across the universe.

That or they are butchered. You need god fodder to explain how dangerous your villain is, we don't know when these scenes take place relative to our timeline involving earth.

Or any other mental gymnastics you can come up with to explain away comic book shenanigans. Eternals explained in away in a couple of sentences. Here they'll probably just make it a joke when Thanos gets mentioned one of the Greek gods will ask "Who? Is he related to Thanatos? Hmm I don't know him." And that will be that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I find all the movies very easy to follow. My 65 year old mom watched No Way Home last weekend having never seen the previous Holland movies and she understood it easily. These movies are specifically designed to be consumed by the lowest common denominator. You don't need to know every little detail of the lore by any means, those are just easter eggs really.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
who's the christian/jewish/muslim god in the MCU then?
marvel.fandom.com

Jesus of Nazareth (Earth-616)

14 appearance(s) of Jesus of Nazareth (Earth-616) 32 minor appearance(s) of Jesus of Nazareth (Earth-616) 70 mention(s) of Jesus of Nazareth (Earth-616) 57 invocation(s) of Jesus of Nazareth (Earth-616) 5 image(s) of Jesus of Nazareth (Earth-616) 1 item(s) used/owned by Jesus of Nazareth...

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The storyline that this upcoming movie is based on answers a lot of these questions actually! Its really good, more people should read it. The Thor: God of Thunder - God Butcher storyline
Wouldn't that be ironic and totally unexpected if Gorr has a similar motivation in this movie? Like he tells Thor, "Where were the Gods when Thanos wiped out half of all the life in the universe?"

It would be crazier than the time when people watched the Eternals teaser trailer and were like, "Where the hell were the Eternals when Thanos wiped out half the life in the universe? Plothole!" and then 3 months later we get the next trailer and the very first thing they address is Thanos and why the Eternals didn't help against Thanos.

The people asking the questions just wanted answers, so when presented with the film giving them reasons for why they didn't help, of course they they felt satisfied and they not only accepted the explanations, but enjoyed the movie much more because of it......LMAO

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Since Earth has a heap of Gods, do all worlds have their own Gods? And if so, are they also real? Are there eight billion gods roaming about doing their own thing? Because that seems like a lot of powerful beings who could have helped stop Thanos, instead of like.. watching a guy with a shield do it. And did half the Gods go in the snap as well, or are they immune? Was Thor never in real danger from it?

there's a fucking badass story during Secret Invasion when the Skrulls were taking over the Earth, where Thor joins a team of interstellar god killers to take on the Skrull gods, and they meet all sorts of other alien gods along the way

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
there's a fucking badass story during Secret Invasion where Thor joins a team of interstellar god killers to take on the Skrull gods, and they meet all sorts of other alien gods along the way
There's also a whole city where all the gods come to chill

Or the time Shiar gods were petty that Thor was getting praise because they (Jane Thor and dude Thor) and made a game referees by another god that put lives on the line until the Phoenix came in who is technically a shiar god technically

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

They didn't need the multiverse to revive someone from the dead; it's a comic book movie. The source material sparingly uses stuff like that to bring people back because it doesn't need to.

We can get Tony back the same way we did in the comics -- he backed up his brain into a supercomputer AI and then they download it into a clone body. But because it's a clone body, he comes back younger. Bam, and now you have an explanation for a recast.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
To me, I have BE (Before Endgame) and AE (After Endgame). There is no way the MCU can replicate all of the events that led to Endgame again. Everything after Endgame, to me, is kind of its own thing in my mind (kind of how I view Star Wars, and the sequel trilogy and the PT and OT).

After Thanos and the events of Endgame, it becomes REALLY difficult to tie new characters, especially strong ones (looking at you Eternals), who were around and did nothing while a universe impacted event happened.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's bound to happen. If you want to diversify you content and provide creators a level of freedom in order to create a good product, things will get convoluted.

People don't give marvel enough credit. How many other companies tried to create they're own type of "universe" and have not had the consistency marvel has.
Forget a cinematic universe, it's disappointing when the same writer/director works on sequels of their own films and forgets what they have set up in the previous films and where they have taken the characters. For Marvel to have all these projects roughly line up all their plot threads and character arcs, while honoring the visions and stories they writers and directors want to tell, while also honoring the decades of comic stories they are pulling from, they are executing the most elaborate and successful game of telephone/improv that is a joy to witness.

It's like watching artists play Gartic Phone with a few parameters/goals and with a lot of communication and intuition they can have animations that have moments of just pure raw inspiration and creativity while also seeming like it was all meticulously planned out because of how smoothly people can work together to tell a story when everyone is on the same wavelength working towards the same goal.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
To me, I have BE (Before Endgame) and AE (After Endgame). There is no way the MCU can replicate all of the events that led to Endgame again. Everything after Endgame, to me, is kind of its own thing in my mind (kind of how I view Star Wars, and the sequel trilogy and the PT and OT).

After Thanos and the events of Endgame, it becomes REALLY difficult to tie new characters, especially strong ones (looking at you Eternals), who were around and did nothing while a universe impacted event happened.
Which is why it'll be easier to just make the superhuman arms race of post-Endgame be the explanation for a lot of shit. Mutants weren't really a thing until the Gauntlet radiation acted as a catalyst for extra mutant births. These other gods were dead from their own shenanigans or got trapped in their own dimensions until the Gauntlet fucked shit up and freed them.

Then there's just the general multiverse stuff of "their dimension is actually a different universe and they come to visit sometimes and weren't even on this side of existence when Thanos beat the shit out of everyone". All are better handwavy explanations than them just being around and not helping.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
From what little we know, the "greek gods" are from a different planet/whatever therefore were never "greek gods". Not much to explain; other than there's a Zeus and Hercules somewhere and they haven't been to Earth...or something...maybe.

Feb 16, 2022
An easy way to have both things is to have the Greek gods existing because mankind keeps believing in the stories told by/based on/about the Eternals. It's how gods work in Marvel comics, they exist because they have believers.

Eternals create stories about themselves > people record those stories and add more to the myth, creating Greek mythology > Greek gods exist because of the stories

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
there's a fucking badass story during Secret Invasion when the Skrulls were taking over the Earth, where Thor joins a team of interstellar god killers to take on the Skrull gods, and they meet all sorts of other alien gods along the way

GOD SQUAD GOD SQUAD GOD SQUAD

Wouldn't that be ironic and totally unexpected if Gorr has a similar motivation in this movie? Like he tells Thor, "Where were the Gods when Thanos wiped out half of all the life in the universe?"

It would be crazier than the time when people watched the Eternals teaser trailer and were like, "Where the hell were the Eternals when Thanos wiped out half the life in the universe? Plothole!" and then 3 months later we get the next trailer and the very first thing they address is Thanos and why the Eternals didn't help against Thanos.

The people asking the questions just wanted answers, so when presented with the film giving them reasons for why they didn't help, of course they they felt satisfied and they not only accepted the explanations, but enjoyed the movie much more because of it......LMAO

The hilarious part is people didn't even seem to register that the second trailer answered that question. Jon Snow's like "who?" and they show the big red metal guy and I think most people watching were like "huuuuuuuuuuuuuh?"

Like shit, half the answers that Marvel can give people are gonna hate on anyway so fuck it.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017

This is how I feel, as well. I was HUGELY invested in the MCU - the amount of hours I spent theory-crafting re-watching, discussing with friends - the MCU was the center of my pop culture existence, more or less.

But now with the multiverse, when EVERYTHING is canon, this also means that nothing is canon. None of it "matters" in-universe in a way that feels like it has real stakes from the storytelling perspective. And none of it matters to me personally, as someone invested in this fiction.

I feel like Marvel could have used the multiverse to have their cake and eat it too - tell cool one-off stories like Logan or The Batman without the weight of it being tied to canon and an over-arching storyline. Just say it takes place in a different universe. Feige is certainly enough of a Real One when it comes to comic books to have pushed through some really interesting creative stories.

Instead, the multiverse is just being used for "get as batshit crazy and throw as much shit at the wall as we can" it seems like, based off Spider-Man NWH and Doctor Strange spoilers.

With the way Marvel is setting up its multiverse storyline, I really don't see how anyone can care about any of it. From a narrative standpoint I half expect them to crash the multiverse back in on itself into a single universe, or at lease close all the doors between universes, and just use all of this story junk as an excuse to pull in the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and other Fox characters. Because if there continues to be access to infinite universes, none of this matters. But then the other half of me expects them to keep using the multiverse as an excuse for recasting, and keeping everything going forever.

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017

I think they can and they should pick up the pace towards that imo. All the D+ shows seem to be holdovers until they can really kick up the build towards Hickman. I'm checking the leaks and spoilers for all the new films to gauge if its directly setting up what I'm excited about. If its not, I skip it

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel, as well. I was HUGELY invested in the MCU - the amount of hours I spent theory-crafting re-watching, discussing with friends - the MCU was the center of my pop culture existence, more or less.

But now with the multiverse, when EVERYTHING is canon, this also means that nothing is canon. None of it "matters" in-universe in a way that feels like it has real stakes from the storytelling perspective. And none of it matters to me personally, as someone invested in this fiction.

I feel like Marvel could have used the multiverse to have their cake and eat it too - tell cool one-off stories like Logan or The Batman without the weight of it being tied to canon and an over-arching storyline. Just say it takes place in a different universe. Feige is certainly enough of a Real One when it comes to comic books to have pushed through some really interesting creative stories.

Instead, the multiverse is just being used for "get as batshit crazy and throw as much shit at the wall as we can" it seems like, based off Spider-Man NWH and Doctor Strange spoilers.

With the way Marvel is setting up its multiverse storyline, I really don't see how anyone can care about any of it. From a narrative standpoint I half expect them to crash the multiverse back in on itself into a single universe, or at lease close all the doors between universes, and just use all of this story junk as an excuse to pull in the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and other Fox characters. Because if there continues to be access to infinite universes, none of this matters. But then the other half of me expects them to keep using the multiverse as an excuse for recasting, and keeping everything going forever.
Being emotionally invested in a particular media is all well and good, but I'm sure the general audience is more than fine with the movies that "don't matter" in the grand scheme of things if the entertainment continues to be good. Just because the multiverse exists do people like Logan less now? I think what if...? proved (I dunno what the exact overall consensus was on the quality, but I'm sure it did well enough) that folks are willing to enjoy MCU stuff that's largely disconnected from any major plots in the MCU proper.

And yes, the multiverse will be one of the tools Marvel Studios is going to use to make movies and such forever. They have plans beyond 2030 after all.

Feb 16, 2022
Being emotionally invested in a particular media is all well and good, but I'm sure the general audience is more than fine with the movies that "don't matter" in the grand scheme of things if the entertainment continues to be good. Just because the multiverse exists do people like Logan less now? I think what if...? proved (I dunno what the exact overall consensus was on the quality, but I'm sure it did well enough) that folks are willing to enjoy MCU stuff that's largely disconnected from any major plots in the MCU proper.

And yes, the multiverse will be one of the tools Marvel Studios is going to use to make movies and such forever. They have plans beyond 2030 after all.
I think within a decade, Marvel Studios will be making movies not set in the main MCU Earth.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
In 616 they do. There was even a tie comic for Secret Invasion where
Hercules and a few other folks killed the Skrull gods as an act of vegeance

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

While they've introduced the multuverse concept. The only movie/show so far where it takes place in multiverse is Loki and What If. Everything else including Dr Strange and No Wah Home still follow the character in universe we've known since IronMan 1. I don't see why it suddenly make this universe doesnt matter.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
While they've introduced the multuverse concept. The only movie/show so far where it takes place in multiverse is Loki and What If. Everything else including Dr Strange and No Wah Home still follow the character in universe we've known since IronMan 1. I don't see why it suddenly make this universe doesnt matter.

The multiverse will end after Doctor Strange.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because people care about continuity. Sure they can recast and justify a new Iron Man but that doesn't erase RDJ to the viewer. People will still care about RDJ's version of Iron Man. Just look at Spider-Man. Tons of people raved for both Andrew Garfield and Maguire. Sure a lot of it was the implication but I bet a ton more were happy to see "their" Spider-Man.

Things can be erased in-universe but none of us are in the MCU. We won't suddenly forget Chris Evans' Captain America once he inevitably gets recasted.

And like from my perspective, it allows the MCU to do more storylines that early MCU was too meek or afraid to do. Live-action as a medium does not lend well to comics' long long longform continuity because actors will get tired of the role or inevitably age out. But there's so much cool shit to cover and now they have an easy way to keep characters going.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

I think audiences enjoy multiverse stories. They've done well in comics for decades and in more mainstream entertainment over the past decade on TV and film. People are Ok with loving their favorite version of a character and also thinking it's cool when Spider-Man hangs out with Spider-Man of 1776 in a tricorn hat. As long as the stories are good audiences will buy in.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Kang is the main villain in Ant-man 3 so don't count on it.
America Chavez is just getting introduced and her powers involve traveling across universes.

Loki and What If? are both getting second seasons and they are intertwined with the multiverse.

The Ancient One talked about the multiverse in the first Doctor Strange so other dimensions and alternate realities are always going to be a part of that franchise.

Fantastic Four is also another franchise that will likely deal with exploring all aspects of reality: the cosmos, other dimensions, and even the multiverse, just from the science side of things rather than the mystical side like Strange.

The multiverse may eventually be a bit more in the background, but the door has been opened.