• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the MCU films are fine, outside of total dogs like Thor 2 and Avengers 2, but critics have been softballing these for years. Giving a Marvel movie a bad review just isn't worth getting harassed on Twitter and/or bombarded with death threats.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You put the characters at their most unlikeable and make them sit on a planet arguing while waiting for a plot to actually happen. Thanks for speeding that up Mantis. Oh wait.

And then in the third act they pull that completely undeserved, "I'm such an asshole because I just care so much". Fuck off.

Don't even get me started on Yondu.
The humor was unbearably juvenile.

You can explain what it was about all you want, execution was still shit.

I liked Nebula and the Zune joke. That's all.

I liked the first movie a lot. The trailer for 2 concerned me because it was just loud noises and explosions so I went in with tempered expectations but holy shit.

I wasn't exactly upset about the firing. Not a great reason, but wasn't a bad decision.

People are fucked up and unlikeable sometimes.
That's.. the.. point.

People have bad reasons to justify the shit they do.
People are selfish.
People are petty.

That's why it resonates. You wanted a good feel, clean movie like 1 and 2 wasn't that.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the MCU films are fine, outside of total dogs like Thor 2 and Avengers 2, but critics have been softballing these for years. Giving a Marvel movie a bad review just isn't worth getting harassed on Twitter and/or bombarded with death threats.
I don't know if they're particularly avoiding twitter threats, but fine definitely works on RT.

Oct 25, 2017
People are fucked up and unlikeable sometimes.
That's.. the.. point.

People have bad reasons to justify the shit they do.
People are selfish.
People are petty.

That's why it resonates. You wanted a good feel, clean movie like 1 and 2 wasn't that.
Like I said, you can say "that's the point" all you want, the execution is still shit. That doesn't negate any point I made. Don't tell me what movie I wanted just because I didn't like yours.

My audience was laughing it up the entire time and I was annoyed. We got different things out of what you described. I thought the first movie was funny. This wasn't.

People in the thread didn't care for AntMan and the Wasp, I actually explained why it worked FOR ME, instead of acting like people didn't get it and going "well it's supposed to be like that".

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And yet average/lowest common denominator/inoffensive movies have average/middling RT scores, while movies generally considered good/great/well-made/masterpieces have good to great RT scores.

Like Aquaman has a 65% RT

im confused, that doesn't depute what we've said

im sure you know this already, but the RT score isn't a direct assessment of the film's quality, only how many critics gave it a score over a certain threshold liked it

does anyone know how to see the critic rating on RT? i cant seem to find it anymore (haven't been able to for the last 2 months), i know they removed audience rating, but they seem to have taken the critic rating with it

without being able to see the critic rating anymore i cant even show you what im talking about with my original post

EDIT i found an old post of mine that shows the difference between critic rating and tomatoescore

image.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

even though critics think Suspiria is a better film than Im not a witch, its more contraversial so it has a much worse tomatoescore

if suspria had played it safer it would have had a better tomatoescore, even if it was a 6/10 movie it would have ended up with a better tomatoescore

and then you have hereditary and a quiet place, overall the ciritcs find the movie to be basically the same in quality (with hereditary with the slight lead), but a quiet place gets a noticeable bump, and i think most would agree its a much more conventional film for the genre, i think thats a big reason for it

now RT has gotten rid of the average rating, so now its even worse because you cant see that overall the critics actually think its a great film, all you see is a middling tomatoescore, which represents the critical consensus from one perspective, but completely ignores it from the other

putting the tomatoescore front and center 100% has an emergent effect of which part of the critical consensus is being accentuated, and which movies are likely to benefit from this over a straight average rating

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
And yet average/lowest common denominator/inoffensive movies have average/middling RT scores, while movies generally considered good/great/well-made/masterpieces have good to great RT scores.

Like Aquaman has a 65% RT
I was really trying to stay out of this thread but C'mon, Aquaman shouldn't be at 65%. Should be higher... at least 75%. It is as inoffensive as most MCU films. More spectacle and it knows it's an Aquaman film and leans into that. Just like Shazam and Raimi's Spiderman movies.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was really trying to stay out of this thread but C'mon, Aquaman shouldn't be at 65%. Should be higher... at least 75%. It is as inoffensive as most MCU films. More spectacle and it knows it's an Aquaman film and leans into that. Just like Shazam and Raimi's Spiderman movies.

having just seen it - i am shocked it is so low

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guardians 2 had one of the best opening scenes ever. That movie was incredible, are the people here just trolling or what?

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird seeing the scores of Doctor Strange and GOTG. Doctor Strange is mediocre as fuck(89%) and GOTG is great(91%). Like that shit is meaningless lol

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of them are totally skewed. Ant-Man and the Wasp absolutely does not deserve an 88%. It's not a good movie.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird seeing the scores of Doctor Strange and GOTG. Doctor Strange is mediocre as fuck(89%) and GOTG is great(91%). Like that shit is meaningless lol

That's why the RT out of 10 score matters more for the 'quality' of the movie. The freshness score is just a simple thumbs up or down.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I'd say they're all good movies with some being amazing. Problem is that these days it's either something is fantastic or utter garbage. Where something that gets reviewed well is still talked like it was bad because it's not in the top 5.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The movies rate well because Rottentomatoes can actually be gamed if you do it right. Its TomatoMeter is basically a "Yes, see it" and "No, don't see it" type of thing. What qualifies as do or don't see it is actually very simple: easy to understand, basic structure is there, and don't make too many inconsistencies / narrative mistakes. This is what the MCU does and how it actually gets those high scores. The MCU also doesn't really dive into any particular theme or subject. They remain very shallow to this day. That makes it easier to digest and be a "fun" movie.

I think Disney has a good grasp on how to game the actual RottenTomatoes site. They use the website in their advertisements even though critical sentiment around the movies have always been, "Yeah, they're OK", but somehow they can get similar scores to things like Fury Road.

This is what happens when things become part of the marketing. If there was only an AI critic that determined the quality of movies, you'd bet your ass Disney and the rest would be trying ways to get that high score. It's the same thing here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The ratings tell the truth. MCU films range from decent to really great. It is amazing that Marvel Studios have maintained such a high level of quality over so many films. For most franchises it takes at most a couple of films until they shit the bed.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The ratings tell the truth. MCU films range from decent to really great. It is amazing that Marvel Studios have maintained such a high level of quality over so many films. For most franchises it takes at most a couple of films until they shit the bed.

Iron Man 2 required a whole new mattress and it was the third film in the MCU

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Nahhhhhh man

Wan got the spectacle right, but anything that isn't a set piece is rotten. It really does not hold up well outside of an IMAX screen.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Nahhhhhh man

Wan got the spectacle right, but anything that isn't a set piece is rotten. It really does not hold up well outside of an IMAX screen.
I just watched it with my four year old last weekend. I think it holds up well... Colors popped and the CG was good as was the action. I really don't see the problem... besides explosions interrupting conversations lol.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean the MCU basically becomes free traffic so they have to review it high

Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther's 97% and 8.26 average (off of 465 reviews!) is incredible and right in line with what the film deserves. Hell of a metacritic score too.

In fact, I'd say it's the most fairly reviewed MCU flick. Doesn't stop the fragile manbabies from whining and screaming about it being "overrated" though. I wonder why that is, hmmmmm.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that Endgame has a higher score than Infinity War.

lots of critics were mindfucked by all of the characters in infinity war and had no idea what was going on

endgame is more focused with a proper beginning, middle and end so I'm not surprised it was more critic friendly

even though infinity war is the better movie ;)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I love them all, I'm a big Marvel fan though but even at their worst, the MCU movies are still good.

The weaker movies, like Iron Man 2, are still mostly saved thanks to a combo of high production values, great cast, good action scenes ect. They haven't made a truly bad one yet.
Phase 1 is the worst for me, I mean I loved Iron Man 1 and Avengers 1, but the others were mostly fairly good to average. Phase 2 is better because of The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy plus I liked Ant Man and Iron Man 3. Then we have Phase 3 and I really liked most of the movies except for Captain Marvel, which was just ok.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Phase 1 is the worst for me, I mean I loved Iron Man 1 and Avengers 1, but the others were mostly fairly good to average. Phase 2 is better because of The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy plus I liked Ant Man and Iron Man 3. Then we have Phase 3 and I really liked most of the movies except for Captain Marvel, which was just ok.

I watched them all again recently in the run up to Endgame and it was great going back to the beginning and seeing how far they've come but I found they were all still very entertaining and held up well.