• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Garcetti is the biggest phony out of all of these mayors.
De Blasio's daughter got doxxed by the NYPD and he still says they didn't do anything wrong.

Or the Buffalo mayor saying the 75 year old who got his skull cracked open deserved it.

3-way tie.

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how any place could function without some form of "policing" without devolving into complete anarchy. If you completely abolished police forces, neighborhoods, random groups of people etc, would band together and enact their judgement on who they perceive to be criminals. (And there will ALWAYS be criminals.) People with even less training.

Many other countries seem to have good cops. I think the trick is to have a lot more training. There needs to be a better vetting process, more and much better training. And a completely separate agency that regulates and investigates them.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I don't see how any place could function without some form of "policing" without devolving into complete anarchy. If you completely abolished police forces, neighborhoods, random groups of people etc, would band together and enact their judgement on who they perceive to be criminals. (And there will ALWAYS be criminals.) People with even less training.

Many other countries seem to have good cops. I think the trick is to have a lot more training. There needs to be a better vetting process, more and much better training. And a completely separate agency that regulates and investigates them.
Training is constantly a part of police reforms that pass in cities and it does FUCKING NOTHING. They are clearly wiping their ass with that money.

American police are rotten to the core.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
Words are meaningless. He thought he was an ally because of the things he's said and thought thus why he felt he could be amongst the crowd in plain clothes. He's in a position of power and has done nothing with it on this issue and only spoke out about the officers after protests started.

Curious to see what he does after this embarrassment.
My only hope is that he learns and changes his sentiment. He seems genuine but possibly has an inner circle which downplays the "disband the police" mentality, and of course you can always be surprised by public figures.

It's a hilarious video to watch but also extremely disappointing when thinking long-term.

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
Training is constantly a part of police reforms that pass in cities and it does FUCKING NOTHING.

American police are rotten to the core.

The type of "training" that cops seem to get in the U.S seems to be about how best to inflict violence, that every single citizen is out to get them and how best to protect themselves. Not how to de-escalate, how to see "potential" criminals as human beings in a tough spot, empathy. But this isn't something that you can do a 2 week course on. This is a constant process. Make them interact with their community in some capacity. I'm sure there are many ways to instill empathy for the people they are supposed to protect.

But yeah, I agree, the entire system seems to be corrupt, as evidenced by their callous disregard for protestors and fellow human beings.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

Also educate people to understand what cops are and aren't.

Too many people are subservient to cops in a way that doesn't make logical sense.

The police department should work like the fire department: Highly specialized, trained, and summoned only for emergency response situations. Guns should ALWAYS be a last resort in ANY situation.
It's scary that guns are so entrenched in US culture that you guys have to consider an ideal situation where cops still have to carry guns at all.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Words are meaningless. He thought he was an ally because of the things he's said and thought thus why he felt he could be amongst the crowd in plain clothes. He's in a position of power and has done nothing with it on this issue and only spoke out about the officers after protests started.

Curious to see what he does after this embarrassment.

Thanks for the context, maybe some sidenote could be added to the OP for those not in the know.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is good. Even if ultimately it is about reducing the funding to police rather than abolishing, pushing is good. Very unlikely we reach our ultimate aim in the short term, but need to push it hard. This is part of it. Well done

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The type of "training" that cops seem to get in the U.S seems to be about how best to inflict violence, that every single citizen is out to get them and how best to protect themselves. Not how to de-escalate, how to see "potential" criminals as human beings in a tough spot, empathy.

But yeah, I agree, the entire system seems to be corrupt, as evidenced by their callous disregard for protestors and fellow human beings.
They are often specifically given deescalation training. You are seeing the result of that currently.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I mean what can he say. What is the alternative to not having police?
Like in every negotiation, you aim high and negotiate something in the middle. So when the people go into the negotiation with "abolish the police" and in the end, "defunding and reform" is the outcome, everyone is partially happy and unhappy. The government can point to a lesser success in not completely getting fucked and the protesters get what they wanted, except some radical elements who really wanted no police.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defunding the police is not realistic. It needs serious reforms.
Defunding the police IS the reform. The whole operation needs to be scaled back. I've said this many times but police exists to police poverty and protect property value.

Their current funding is a reflection of that.
There's a big reason why our buddy Cuomo decided to cut Medicaid, public Hospital, and School funding in the midst of a pandemic no less while the NYPD got a budget increase to 6 BILLION. Not only is this a reflection of what we value in society but it becomes very clear that the Police are used to managed the consequences of severe poverty, homelessness, lack of education etc. with violence.

Reforming the police through adding more procedures on top of what they already do doesn't matter as long as this is the working relationship they have with the community they are "serving" is inherently toxic due to that paradigm I laid out. Not to mention the things like broken windows policing which is a deliberate tax on poor people and Black bodies and further serves to criminalize their existence.

The police budgets we see aren't necessarily a reflection of community security and crime fighting. The bulk of there funding is here to fulfill this particularly mission. Crime rates in major cities have been dropping rapidly there's no reason why these cities have to spend billion on a police force while school districts are underfunded and public housing is falling apart. Defunding the Police means we re-prioritize people and invest in them instead property values. It means we solve societal ills not by throwing my cops at it but by improving material conditions.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree — I wouldn't describe that as abolishment, though. Maybe that's what people get stuck on: it just sounds like eliminating it altogether rather than a complete overhaul.

Defunding was probably not the best choice of words since many people take it as the literal dictionary definition, and not in the contextual meaning which is more akin to "slash the fuck out of their budget and put more to social services"

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How will defunding the police help with police brutality? I don't get it.

They need to be trained differently.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Yeah I'm kinda baffled at people thinking the abolishment of law enforcement would lead to a good thing. What do people think is going to happen in situations involving, well just about anything?

Psychopathic Nazi incel piece of shit decides to bring a gun to a protest, and no one is there to return fire or arrest him ahead of time?

Woman gets beaten by her drunken asshole husband and instead of getting carted off to a jail cell he gets a stern talking to by volunteers?

Child gets abducted from a public park and who's there to deal with the pedophilic killer once found?

We already have a massive gun problem thanks to dumbass Republicans and completely abolishing law enforcement would just give the most insane crazy ass Trumpers inspiration to make everyone who's different from them's lives a living hell if not ending them altogether.
And when that persons a cop?

And when those people are cops

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

And when those people are cops

Abolishing the police wouldn't change the fact that person was that person. These things aren't mutually exclusive, or shouldn't be.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This. Abolishing/Defunding police is idiotic and wouldn't do anything. There needs to be a complete dismantling and reform which is easier said than done....but it needs to be done somehow.

Part of the reform needs to be lessening the burden that over-policing puts on local budgets and populations.

Their are tangible examples on how to do this, already in effect in this country.

www.citylab.com

What Happened to Crime in Camden?

Often ranked as one of the deadliest cities in America, Camden, New Jersey, ended 2017 with its lowest homicide rate since the 1980s.

After a particularly deadly year in 1995, Camden's Cathedral of Immaculate Conception began illuminating one candle for each homicide victim. In 2012, the year ended with 67 candles—a rate of about 87 murders per 100,000 residents, which ranked Camden fifth nationwide.

But on New Year's 2018, just 22 candles were lit: The city's murder rate fell to its lowest since 1987. The number of annual killings has been in decline since 2012; so have robberies, aggravated assaults, violent crimes, property crimes, and non-fatal shooting incidents.

So what's happening in this city, which for many years has been deemed among the dangerous in America? Thomson, who took the helm of the Camden police force in 2008, says the biggest factor may have been the change in structure of the department itself. In 2013, the Camden Police Department was disbanded, reimagined, and born again as the Camden County Police Department, with fewer officers, lower pay—and a strategic shift toward "community policing."

So yeah. Abolish and Defund - build something better in its place.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Defund the police is right.
For ordinary police work, Italy spends something around 12bn/year, or 0.2bn/million people, and that's already substantially above the EU standard, and i'm already counting some corps that the usa would budget under federal
how does LAPD need 3bn for 4m people? more than 1000$/person?

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a notification on citizen that they're lifting the curfew today in NYC. Anyone else heard anything? would help stop giving themselves excuses to needlessly beat up and arrest people

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Ha, my boss from Minnesota thinks that he'll run for president someday. Can't wait to see her reaction to this

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
This. Abolishing/Defunding police is idiotic and wouldn't do anything. There needs to be a complete dismantling and reform which is easier said than done....but it needs to be done somehow.
Dept. of Justice is supposed to do that, and being that we don't really have a Federal Gov't right now, that's why it's important for people to get out and vote.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
The more I think about this, the more despair I feel about the future of the movement. The mayors in NYC and LA, yeah, we all know they don't understand the protests and are in the pocket of / being blackmailed by their police unions.

But this guy, from the beginning, seemed like he understood the problems, and his city council was arguing for disbanding as well. I really, really hope he changes his mind on this.

Dept. of Justice is supposed to do that, and being that we don't really have a Federal Gov't right now, that's why it's important for people to get out and vote.
The Camden NJ example posted above is illuminating because it was done entirely at the county/municipal level - no federal intervention. Newark NJ, another famously violent city, has federal oversight but also did not have any looting or violence this week.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Defunding the police IS the reform. The whole operation needs to be scaled back. I've said this many times but police exists to police poverty and protect property value.

There's a big reason why our buddy Cuomo decided to cut Medicaid, public Hospital, and School funding in the midst of a pandemic no less while the NYPD got a budget increase to 6 BILLION. Not only is this a reflection of what we value in society but it becomes very clear that the Police are used to managed the consequences of severe poverty, homelessness, lack of education etc. with violence.

Reforming the police through adding more procedures on top of what they already do doesn't matter as long as this is the working relationship they have with the community they are "serving" is inherently toxic due to that paradigm I laid out. Not to mention the things like broken windows policing which is a deliberate tax on poor people and Black bodies and further serves to criminalize their existence.

The police budgets we see aren't necessarily a reflection of community security and crime fighting. The bulk of there funding is here to fulfill this particularly mission. Crime rates in major cities have been dropping rapidly there's no reason why these cities have to spend billion on a police force while school districts are underfunded and public housing is falling apart. Defunding the Police means we re-prioritize people and invest in them instead property values. It means we solve societal ills not by throwing my cops at it but by improving material conditions.
Gotcha. I think someone else made a thread. Unfortunately it seems defund and abolition are being seen as the same thing.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He said he wouldn't support the full abolition of the police. I don't know anything about his actions as mayor, but what politician in the world would say yes to the full abolition of the police? And I doubt any country in Europe would vote for the full abolition of the police.

Oct 25, 2017
He's going to lose his re-election. Not because of this, but rather because his response to the first days of protests wasn't hard enough and required aid from the governor. Despite Minneapolis being a "liberal" or "progressive" city, it's still majority rich white people who, despite posting BLM on their social media and walking at protests, would still rather keep the status quo.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

This is a brilliant post and should be the manual for what folks want to achieve throughout these protests.

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
This was stupid as shit. I just hope the media doesn't spin this as "all black people" wanna police themselves and abolish the police. How did they expect for him to say yes to that dumb ass question she asked?

she didn't ask for the defunding she was asking for dismissing it. Not only that but the presentation of the question was just vile and dumb. This hurts the cause by optics by making unreasonable demands and in general, acting out of pocket imo. Idc what his answer was, video reaction is wrong.

I'm all for reforms but the idea of policing ourselves in some of these cities is laughable. Maybe training or a rebranding can change police in the city. But yeah imma have to say no to no law enforcement.. East side of Detroit police comes so slow it feels like there's no law enforcement here and boy that shit gets abused. I can't imagine why people in MN think crime will get better without police. It won't. Wish they could've been more rational here, cause again it just makes things worse imo and makes the cause look unreasonable.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The police department should work like the fire department: Highly specialized, trained, and summoned only for emergency response situations. Guns should ALWAYS be a last resort in ANY situation.
Any shots fired by the police should come with an extensive report and bodycam footage to be reviewed an independent third party. If the review determines that the weapon was fired for a legitimate reason, the officer must go through a full psych evaluation, hundreds of hours of de-escalation training, and be relocated to a less dangerous area for the next year.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're someone who thinks the solution is more funding for training programs for cops, please sit this one out like Kanye.
Any shots fired by the police should come with an extensive report and bodycam footage to be reviewed an independent third party. If the review determines that the weapon was fired for a legitimate reason, the officer must go through a full psych evaluation, hundreds of hours of de-escalation training, and be relocated to a less dangerous area for the next year.
That's how it is in most European countries. After every shot fired there is an investigation to see if shots fired were mandatory. Isn't this the case in the US?

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The whole point of policing should be its required to police crime. You know what brings crime down? Social programs, lack of poverty, jobs education etc etc.

Their will always be some kind of crime but if you actually spend money on the root causes of crime you wouldn't need over bloated expensive police forces.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I watched the entire video thinking "Where is the mayor? I can only see this kid"

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point all police should be disarmed. No more guns for police until they realize and figure out how they can do their jobs without them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That's how it is in most European countries. After every shot fired there is an investigation to see if shots fired were mandatory. Isn't this the case in the US?

It is as well but the process is more of a formality. The cop still has to write a report documenting why they discharged their firearm and a supervisor is supposed to investigate. The problem is that such reports are basically rubberstamped.