• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
(No one called dibs on an OT for this movie, and it's about to release. So you're getting this quick and dirty one.)

MV5BMGJkNDJlZWUtOGM1Ny00YjNkLThiM2QtY2ZjMzQxMTIxNWNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Welcome back to the Matrix. Let's make this brief. You have two ways to watch this movie. The first is in theaters starting December 22nd. The second is to watch on HBO Max also starting December 22nd for 31 days. The choice is yours.

Need to catch up? The entire trilogy is available now for streaming on
HBO Max

Review thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-matrix-resurrections-review-thread.530152/

Trailers:

That's all you need to know. Enjoy!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That poster is such caca. Why didn't they ask me what I thought first?

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I just finished a rewatch of the Trilogy. Now I'm even more hype.

NEVER FORGET that this series is trans culture.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Sucks HBO Max isn't available here.

Also, I procrastinated and haven't rewatched the trilogy. Gotta do it tomorrow.

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
I am the Resetera Poster. I've been waiting for you.

You have many questions, and although the process of posting has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human.

Ergo, some of my memes you will understand, and some of them you will not.

Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also irrelevant.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Revolutions last night. Honestly the sequels are decent movies imo. I liked what they tried to do, especially in Reloaded. Revolutions was a step down but still fun. I think I'm going to love Resurrections

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Anderson, welcome back. We missed you.

Waited damn near 2 decades for this franchise to come back. I'm ready for the philosophy lectures with some action in-between. Don't let me down Lana.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
I had no idea it was going to be out on HBO Max, now I dont have to go to the movie theater again after watching Spider-man No Way Home lol.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched Reloaded yesterday. The Architect sequence gets a bad rap. It's the best part of the movie outside of the action. A crushing blow of bold sci-fi ideas and mythos-eviscerating revelations that still hinges on love and Neo's humanity. Also dawned on me that Dune and the overarching Matrix saga share quite a few parallels in regards to prophecies and messiahs as means to trap, control, and doom.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this. Just finished my rewatch of the trilogy last week.

Papo

May 7, 2020
I've been literally dreaming of this movie for 15 years. Got my tix for tomorrow!

Oct 25, 2017
It's dumb, it's kind of brilliant, it's funny and sweet. I haven't seen a critic yet compare it to a Mike Judge joint, but it's kinda a Mike Judge joint.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Kept rewatching scenes from the first 2 movies yesterday. Actually, I might as well have watched The Matrix in its entirety instead of absorbing ~40% of it via YouTube videos, but yeah. God damn good movie.

I don't really have high expectations for Resurrections, but I hope there's some special, neat stuff in there.

Oct 28, 2017
Been out in Japan since the 17th now. Went to see it on the 18th. If I get some time later today, I'll spoiler tag some thoughts.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Just rewatched Reloaded yesterday. The Architect sequence gets a bad rap. It's the best part of the movie outside of the action. A crushing blow of bold sci-fi ideas and mythos-eviscerating revelations that still hinges on love and Neo's humanity. Also dawned on me that Dune and the overarching Matrix saga share quite a few parallels in regards to prophecies and messiahs as means to trap, control, and doom.
I loved the Architect sequence when i rewatched it yesterday. Was probably bored out of my mind in 2003.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Rewatched the Trilogy recently in anticipation.

The first one holds up as a pretty decent sci-fi action film. It's ideas aren't exactly original but it does them well.
The sequels are a mixed bag but the bag is completely different for me than most people. I love every scene where people are just sitting around and talking. I love the way the dialogue is in these two movies especially and I find it's themes and concepts about choice, fate, and cycles more engaging than what the first movie had to offer. But every time the bloated action scenes started I checked out and they lasted way too long.

I would love it if this movie would be able to take the storytelling and dialogue style of the sequels and match it with the more reigned in and engaging action of the first.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I am the Resetera Poster. I've been waiting for you.

You have many questions, and although the process of posting has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human.

Ergo, some of my memes you will understand, and some of them you will not.

Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also irrelevant.

Why am I here?

No really, I should be getting some sleep or something.

Oct 28, 2017
Right, here's my thoughts. Obviously heavy spoilers.

The movie is good overall. Its daft, fun, and continues on the world of The Matrix in a logical fashion. The Matrix Online is canon but has no real bearing on the story told, it jumps far enough into the future of the world to feel original but keeps enough characters and info about the originals around to keep it consistent, and leaves a lot of space for more media if the creators feel like adding more.

I love that there was no "happily ever after" with the ending of Revolutions. The machines eventually go into a resource war between each other thanks to Neo fucking up The Matrix power supply. People are still enslaved in a new Matrix, but there's now different cities of humans with different ideologies outside of it. Some machines are working with humans, even programs existing in the real world that are on the humans side, using a crazy tech that involves magnets and ball bearings.

I love that the central concept is that Neo is caught in this perpetual nightmare machine that generates electricity for the machines that don't want to live in harmony with humans, but he's been leaving himself breadcrumbs of support throughout (in the form of programs that reflect his own ideas of old friends and enemies), to help himself escape it. A machine thinks its a waste to put Neo to rest after his death, and decides to rebuild him and Trinity, putting them inside a Matrix where they're both teased with memories of their past association, which generates an incredibly huge amount of power, to keep the machines going. Neo gets out with the help of some people who absolutely idolise him, and he decides to go back in to save Trinity from being bluepilled forever, because he loves her.

There's a strong thread of identity in this film. The Morpheus of this movie is a program made by Neo, disguised as an Agent to avoid detection by the machines. The original is dead because its been 60 years outside of this new Matrix (and he got killed in The Matrix Online anyway, but that's never mentioned in the movie). He's more flamboyant and playful than the original Morpheus, but this is a recreation of how Neo remembers him, or perhaps an idealised version of Morpheus, or just the small fragments that Neo can remember outside of the poison that the machines keep feeding him. A man with a penchant for being ostentatious, as evidenced by the outfits he wore in The Matrix originals, and his famous original dojo fight with Neo. Same goes for Agent Smith, who exists as another program created by Neo, disguised as the shark-toothed CEO of the gaming company Neo works for in the new Matrix (Andrew Wilson of EA was absolutely the inspiration for him). It seems Neo never really saw him as a proper adversary, more like a rival that pushes him onwards to exceed his current capabilities. The Smith in this film appears to be fully out to kill Neo, even bringing back The Merovingian and his Exiles to attack Neo, but ends up flipping close to the end to help Neo out during the final segment of the film. Neo gambles on designing this Smith to be like this as it helps him shake off any doubts he might have.

One section that gave me a good chuckle was Neo trying to kill himself in the new Matrix, right after he receives a Game Awards trophy. Can Geoff Keighley really drive a game dev to suicide?

For the action scenes, they were likely the weakest part of the movie. There's one long fight that occurs in a moving bullet train in Japan, and the camera flies all over the place like mad, and its completely unclear what's going on for most of it. I understand why they did this, because the enemies in this scene are people within the Matrix who have been driven berserk by programming (think fast zombies from modern zombie films), and the windows have been smashed so there's a lot of wind, but I'd have preferred the camera been steady so I could make out what's actually going on. Otherwise, I think the fights were alright, actually. The hand-to-hand stuff is still there, plenty of big gun fights too, though I feel like they slacked by having characters standing a little too out in the open while exchanging shots, with nobody actually taking any hits, to my memory.

I also can't remember any music from the movie, which is surprising. The original 3 all have standout music that really made scenes, but this one really lacked that. Maybe I just need to watch it a couple of times, but everyone remembers the use of music in the originals, even though they're from 20 years ago.

Anyway, I'm rabbling at this point. I've written this between various distractions at work so it'll probably look like an insane mess.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Not reading any of the posts here because I don't want to get even tangentially spoiled, but I just want to say I am so HOYPED for this. The movies are back. We're going back to the Matrix.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
something tells me this one is gonna spring a LOT of discussion

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I showed my son the trilogy over the weekend. Have some stuff to do in morning but as soon as we finish lunch we're putting Resurrections on. I'm very excited for it.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've still got to rewatch Revolutions on 4K UHD, then I'll probably see this in theaters mid-January when it's less crowded. I'm very tempted to see it on Max, but I want the best quality.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
Probably gonna pass on seeing this in a theater given the omicron situation so I'm glad it's streaming. Can't wait!

Oct 8, 2018
If you read the reviews before you see the movie:

1. You risk minor or major spoilers

2. There is a chance the reviews may weigh into whether or not you enjoy the movie

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Seeing it in the theater at noon with my family. There were only 6 tickets sold for my showing before they had to shut down ticket sales due to changing capacity limits with omicron, but the showing is proceeding and they will go on sale again in the morning. Hopefully no one else buys any.

Would have streamed it if that was an option in Canada.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Very very excited

It scored lower than I had thought, but this was a watch regardless and it scored well above all else
HBO max for me

Gin

May 2, 2018
I am a marvel fanboy - and as much as I loved Spiderman ..... I am more hyped for Matrix
However, I am in Canada - and I cant find a damn theatre showing this :(