• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I really didn't like the Spider-Man trailer because it felt very amateur. Just "Here is the plot...oh, and nostalgia punch at the end", and I was feeling weird that I didn't get why people loved it. I'm still EXTREMELY hyped for the film, but the trailer just felt lazy. Plus they called it a "Teaser" and I'm like "...uh, its 3 mins and shows the entire setup of the plot..."

This trailer felt deliberate and had a lot of thought put into it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks like they selectively colored different parts of the frame for the UHD version. That would never* have been done in for a theatrical release in 1999. (Except as a VFX shot, like in Schindler's List.)
*Pleasantville existed, but that was weird

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
How the f' would that work on HBO Max? Random ending?
The movie Clue did this back in 1985. So I guess it can be done. But I think this is just Kojima going crazy. Who knows, maybe it's giving him ideas...

Shower thought of the day: I would like it if the real world machines are not even the threat in this movie. In fact, they did Neo and Trinity a solid by bringing them back to life, perhaps out of respect for him saving them from destruction. The villains would actually be both humans and programs who want to manipulate the powerful (but apparently clueless) Neo to their own nefarious plots, risking yet another war.

Basically I like more nuance from the machines, the kind we saw in the latter half of the trilogy. Rather than straight up "muhahaha!" evil, we get moments like "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept", Rama telling Neo programs can fall in love, the babyface machine 'leader' acting petulant, and the reverent way they dragged Neo's body away (and choosing not to liquefy him or Trinity).

As much as I like good/bad dynamics in stories like Terminator/Alien, I also appreciate what the trilogy tried to do and give us something different. Rather than give us an enemy to hate (especially during the manic height of the Iraq war), it wanted to have us understand an adversary and give context for their side. Even Smith, the madman, had a compelling motivation throughout the trilogy.
One the major disappointments I had with Revolutions is that it doesn't ultimately pay off any of this. Hopefully that can be corrected in Resurrections. And I think it probably will be. Remember, in the late 90s most people still had a healthy fear and distrust of machines/computers and didn't want their lives to be run by them. The original matrix came out in that societal background. That is no longer the case, so there's no longer a pop culture current to tap into to portray a computerized future as inherently evil.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
The movie Clue did this back in 1985. So I guess it can be done. But I think this is just Kojima going crazy. Who knows, maybe it's giving him ideas...

Okay, now I actually want this.
Thanks Kojima.

IuU8ZmT.gif

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I'm obsessed with Jessica Henwick's character in the trailer. Instantly iconic. Just like before, the Matrix is going to redefine what "cool" means for a whole generation.

Jessica-Henwick-Matrix-4-Header.jpg
matrix-resurrections-trailer-9.png

Last edited:

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to hear all the cool names people have. Like blue haired girl I think will be named Trinity and Morpheus will be Morpheus, but the others I am hoping will have some cool video game based names again. Link!

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm waiting patiently for the movie to explain wtf is up with Morpheus, but I have sympathy for people who are disgruntled, because at the end of the day Lana brought back two dead characters, but recast the one guy who still lived lol...
Maybe that's the twist? They are both really dead. This is some form of Matrix afterlife where Neo and Trinity find each other again, but it's a place where only the dead can go, not the living.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Luckily we won't be able to hear any of that over the tidal wave of this being everyone's Halloween/cosplay/night out/fashion runway inspiration for the next 2 years.

I'm hoping the best for this film, but I wouldn't be jumping to these conclusions yet. It'd be awesome if this film could be good enough to enter the collective zeitgeist though. Now that Neo is just some schlub who looks like he just rocked up on set, Henwick is definitely the coolest looking mfucker in this trailer and is doing all the coolest shit.

Chai86

Jun 2, 2021
Hahaha I love that keanu's costume is literally how he dresses IRL every day. He must have walked in just wearing his own clothes.

I have a theory for the storyline.

Thomas Anderson is an actor and he starred in a move called The Matrix ages ago. After that and getting older, he's been getting more and more disconnected with his world.

The last guy in the trailer calls him up and ask him if he wants to star in the latest Matrix movie.

That's why he dresses like Keane Reeves in the trailer. Because he is literally playing himself.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Neo is just some schlub who looks like he just rocked up on set, Henwick is definitely the coolest looking mfucker in this trailer and is doing all the coolest shit.
Yea Neo as we've seen so far just looks like some LA stoner who goes to coffeeshops lol. I kinda like it tho

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yea Neo as we've seen so far just looks like some LA stoner who goes to coffeeshops lol. I kinda like it tho

Got massive Harrison Ford Blade Runner 2049 we-blew-all-our-budget-on-everything-else-just-wear-your-regular-damn-clothes-I-guess vibes. Keanu is naturally cooler looking though.

Just realised there's a guy wearing a face mask in the back. This iteration of the Matrix is designed in a post-Covid world?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

Thomas Anderson is an actor and he starred in a move called The Matrix ages ago. After that and getting older, he's been getting more and more disconnected with his world.

The last guy in the trailer calls him up and ask him if he wants to star in the latest Matrix movie.

That's why he dresses like Keane Reeves in the trailer. Because he is literally playing himself.
So like Wes Craven's New Nightmare?

Oct 25, 2017
Best breakdown video I've seen thus far. Eric is on a whole nother level

Simulatte seems more like a reference to Simulacra and Simulation than what this dude was originally saying.

Just realised there's a guy wearing a face mask in the back. This iteration of the Matrix is designed in a post-Covid world?
Aren't they on a bullet train in Japan? Doesn't seem out of place or post covid, but just something you'd see on a bullet train.

Oct 25, 2017

There is no logical throughline from software engineer to actor. It makes more sense that he's still working in software. Probably something smartphone related.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
There is no logical throughline from software engineer to actor. It makes more sense that he's still working in software. Probably something smartphone related.
Not if they've intentionally given him a new life that's designed to keep him docile and placid. Plus, there's this exchange in the first movie:

Cypher: I don't want to remember nothing. Nothing. You understand? And I want to be rich. You know, someone important. Like an actor.

Agent Smith: Whatever you want, Mr. Reagan.

Oct 25, 2017
Not if they've intentionally given him a new life that's designed to keep him docile and placid. Plus, there's this exchange in the first movie:

Cypher: I don't want to remember nothing. Nothing. You understand? And I want to be rich. You know, someone important. Like an actor.

Agent Smith: Whatever you want, Mr. Reagan.
It makes sense that Cypher would want to be a professional liar. Neo, not so much. I guess we'll see.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Huh, if the Matrix has Covid (and everything that came with it) that really puts the whole Blue vs Red pill thing in a new perspective, doesn't it?

"If you take the blue pill you'll wake up in your bed and continue to live your life here on Earth. Take the red pill and - "

"Wait, I can get out?!? Oh, fuck this then. Give me the red pill and let's bounce."

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think in terms of Neo potentially being something different that could make sense depending on how Lana is trying to frame the new movie and themes.

The Machines could have put Neo in this new role, but Neo could also just be a different person after dying in 3. If he's an actor here there are equal opportunities for him to fulfill a role, i.e. Neo as a hacker dude in the first was about breaking boundaries, exploring places to be hidden, where as an actor here his role could related to a theme about Simulating, Pretending, helping others Pretend, if they go that route.

But either way we don't know what he is, just that he's bougie af here now

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm obsessed with Jessica Henwick's character in the trailer. Instantly iconic. Just like before, the Matrix is going to redefine what "cool" means for a whole generation.

Jessica-Henwick-Matrix-4-Header.jpg
matrix-resurrections-trailer-9.png
I can't disagree more lol. I was born in the mid 90s so correct me if I'm wrong as I wasn't there but weren't the trenchcoat/leather/glasses fashion in the first Matrix pretty unique? Blue hair girl couldn't be further from that in terms of character design. Looks incredibly generic to me
Sorry, but why is this? Seems a weird thing to hate on.... Is there a particular reason why this is so?
It was born from those SJW GETS OWNED!! type videos around ~2016. Coloured short hair indicates feminism to right wing types

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Sorry, but why is this? Seems a weird thing to hate on.... Is there a particular reason why this is so?
They associate it with feminists because "woke females" (their words not mine) want to make themselves "unattractive."

I saw it a lot back in the front lines during the GamerGate war. Basically changing your hair color to an "unnatural" one means your a man hating slut.

Don't know how or why blue became the actual target though.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't disagree more lol. I was born in the mid 90s so correct me if I'm wrong as I wasn't there but weren't the trenchcoat/leather/glasses fashion in the first Matrix pretty unique?
Trenchcoats were pretty common in later 80s to mid 90s in high schools, I remember a lot of goth kids wearing them in the mid 90s in high school, but that died down after Columbine. Lots of schools wouldn't allow you to wear them after that.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I can't disagree more lol. I was born in the mid 90s so correct me if I'm wrong as I wasn't there but weren't the trenchcoat/leather/glasses fashion in the first Matrix pretty unique? Blue hair girl couldn't be further from that in terms of character design. Looks incredibly generic to me
The look of the Matrix was basically a combination of several late 90s subcultures (goth, scene and rave) mixed with some smart casual business wear. It combined the trends and made them mainstream.

The same is true here. While individual elements (like the short blue hair on a woman) are common if you know where to look but aren't quite mainstream. The difference is we're now more aware of different subcultures thanks to social media and the like.

Just like the original film, they've taken elements from various youth fashion trends of the past half-decade and refined them, ready to re-present to those same youths who are now entering their 20s. While still staying true to the overall aesthetic of the franchise.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Still hoping they retcon the human battery nonsense and move it back to IIRC the original idea of it being the brains the machines were using as CPUs.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me think about that sheriff in No Country for Old Men, "I saw a kid with GREEN HAIR."

?

I think a lot of people are more invested in Trinity than Neo, I am at least.

Lol

Maybe. I don't engage with Matrix fans as I pretty much immediately felt foul about the whole series after seeing the sequels. And increasingly so as the years passed.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
In my opinion, the only way this can be good is if it's trying to be its own thing and distant images itself as far as possible from the originals. I think the original trilogy suffered from Star Wars sequel syndrome. They wrote out the first one, and when it became a critical success came up with stuff to make two sequels. They may not be as bad as people make it out to be, but there's a reason why they are semi universally considered worse.

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, the only way this can be good is if it's trying to be its own thing and distant images itself as far as possible from the originals. I think the original trilogy suffered from Star Wars sequel syndrome. They wrote out the first one, and when it became a critical success came up with stuff to make two sequels. They may not be as bad as people make it out to be, but there's a reason why they are semi universally considered worse.
They had the idea for a trilogy from the very beginning according to the Matrix Revisited, they even wanted to release them the way they did years later.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Still hoping they retcon the human battery nonsense and move it back to IIRC the original idea of it being the brains the machines were using as CPUs.
Both are nonsense from a 'realistic' pov so not sure why it matters. Anyway plot will be the machines need neither and they're just protecting humans from themselves 🧠🧠🧠

solisolisoli

Jul 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Why does the movie have such a flat and cheap look to it? The shots of Neo and Trinity in the coffee shop almost look like a coffee commercial. Same with the shots of NPH. It just looks like he's about to tell me about Verizon or something.

The best way to describe it, is that they shot it overlit with too high of a shutter speed, and then just tried fixing it in post.

I think the movie can be good, but I'm very put off by its look.
I'm gonna go with no one is ever gonna fuck up shutter speed in a movie. Specially since it has a very different role in video than in photography. Also it looks pretty great.