• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
YNUcOYT.jpeg
Also this.

qkHYvMW.png

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited but there sure are a lot of member berries moments

Hey look a black cat
Hey a guy getting pummelled Dragon Ball style against a wall
Hey bullet casings falling from a dramatic camera angle looking up
Hey a bank/lobby action scene
Hey Trinity sitting down hacking as cops attempt to capture her
A freaking dojo fight scene/training moment obviously set in the Matrix itself

It's the same issue the Jurassic World, Ghostbuster Afterlife and most of these revivals have. Too many winks and nods to previous better movies.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Movie looks unexpectedly saturated and colorful

I guess this is what happens when you put a kid in charge of designing the Matrix

Oct 25, 2017

Hey look a black cat

It's the same issue the Jurassic World, Ghostbuster Afterlife and most of these revivals have. Too many winks and nods to previous better movies.

It makes sense for The Matrix though, given the nature and themes of these films. And I wouldn't put it past Lana to comment on the right wing red pilling with this movie.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017

Hey look a black cat

But the whole thing with the Matrix is that they keep rebooting it, and the same things keep happening. It's built into the lore. Some things change, but the path for "The One" doesn't.

Edit: all together now!

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
The music choice is fucked up the Matrix feel, Teasers was much, much more Matrix. But movie is gonna be fucking incredible.

There's a lot of shit to talk about.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trailer looks really good. Visuals & action are probably going to be great, question of course is characters and story.

Trying to figure out WTF happened in the last movie & how Neo is now where he is. But ok.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
This thread is like the posterchild for people jumping to all kinds of conclusions, having basically no info. Man, are people really not that self aware?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Hey look a black cat

Big difference is that deja vu and repeating cycles are literal in-universe things in The Matrix, so imo reimagined aspects of the old movies can become narrative-relevant and says something about the characters/world if implemented well rather than just being hey remember this beats

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly people saying that the new color-grading and lighting is now standard blockbuster color-grading are just straight up wrong. Most blockbusters are not this effectively and aggressively saturated and this one really leans into the orange and blue contrast in a way that makes it its own stylistic choice.

When I think modern standard blockbuster color-grading I think about what the Marvel movies have with their dull, barely properly graded colors and cheap lighting setups that signify nothing.

There are shades of orange and blue in the Matrix raining letters too. And those colours were virtually absent inside the Matrix in the original trilogy until the last shot.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Hey look a black cat

I feel like those references will tie in much more directly to the story than with the other films you mention. I'm sure that the meta aspect of returning to Matrix 1 will be very important, just going by the teaser the "Matrix" that Old Neo is stuck in seems to be very much built around his own memories.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

Hey look a black cat

Of all the franchise resurrections that have happened lately, this is the one where I don't really mind the winks and nods because they're more likely to be there for a reason that isn't just fanservice, especially going on some of the other imagery in the trailer

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It's amazing you can tell all of this from the trailer. Congrats.

Yes, that's the point of a trailer: to communicate what I'll see in the actual movie. It's supposed to give me a taste of what I'm going to see in the full film.

What I saw in the trailer was a rehash of greatest hits moments from the original Matrix. I found that really unappealing. I was shown the same old thing, rehashed. The same old beats. It's not exciting to me. It's dull. I find it disappointing. It doesn't inspire me to want to watch this, and I love the original movie to death.

The full new film may obviously be wildly original and amazing. The full new film may be a lot of things. But the trailer is here to give me a first impression, and my first impression is not great.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
How many of those revivals are directed and written by the original creator with the original cast returning in lead roles, to revisit the original in light of the themes presented by the world today?

The problem with revivals having nods that feel like nostalgia baiting is that it tries to put a fresh coat of paint on what is ultimately an unoriginal idea. Doing Jurassic Park again with a new cast! But look at the references! Etc. Here is a very different thing though.

StickofRock

Oct 28, 2017
All I want from this movie is a scene where somebody frustratingly dumps a drawer full of spoons on the floor. Just a big ol' pile of spoons.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017

Hey look a black cat

I agree, but I can see this being better than reloaded and revolutions, it won't top the 1st one though.

I liked the trailer, I love that it feels different.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Don't look the same to me and I doubt Weaving would care to return.

I think Weaving said he was asked to return and wanted to do it but his schedule prevented it.

Now that I look at the image of Neo and the old man in the reflection, it does look like it could be a bad CGI head of an older Hugo Weaving. The Matrix has a history of terrible CGI faces.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the whole thing with the Matrix is that they keep rebooting it, and the same things keep happening. It's built into the lore. Some things change, but the path for "The One" doesn't.

Edit: all together now!

Kay... interesting if that's the direction they go in then.

Big difference is that deja vu and repeating cycles are literal in-universe things in The Matrix, so imo reimagined aspects of the old movies can become narrative-relevant and says something about the characters/world if implemented well rather than just being hey remember this beats

I guess that's true, the black cat is one thing it's everything else that feels too reliant of pulling cool visuals from the first film.

I feel like those references will tie in much more directly to the story than with the other films you mention. I'm sure that the meta aspect of returning to Matrix 1 will be very important, just going by the teaser the "Matrix" that Old Neo is stuck in seems to be very much built around his own memories.
Of all the franchise resurrections that have happened lately, this is the one where I don't really mind the winks and nods because they're more likely to be there for a reason that isn't just fanservice, especially going on some of the other imagery in the trailer

As I said i'm excited and like what I saw so if you're all right that these callbacks turn out to be important for the story then all the better.

I agree, but I can see this being better than reloaded and revolutions, it won't top the 1st one though.

I liked the trailer, I love that it feels different.

Oh totally, beating Revolutions and Reloaded isn't the highest bars though, ha.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting choice of music...did not not gel at all.