• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't care what anyone says, all three are great fun and I enjoy watching them all every few years + Animatrix.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Just off the top of my head

Children of Men
Solaris
Brazil
12 Monkeys
Alien
Aliens
Terminator
Terminator 2
Blade Runner
Total Recall
Videodrome
Dark City

And many more, all better imo
Take off Terminator 2 and Children of Men and add Robocop and Akira and you have all my favorite sci-fi movies.

The Matrix is great but it's definitely not better than any of these, especially 2001 and Solaris.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I love The Matrix. I do. I want to rewatch 2001 every time it's mentioned. This doesn't happen when I see The Matrix mentioned. Taste and opinion and all that.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It isn't even the best sci-fi action film, that's T2 or Aliens. It is not in the competition for best sci-fi.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't say it's the best but it is fantastic. One of the best. It was a gateway drug to other scifi and philosophy for me. Great scifi should make you think and it definitely did that for me.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Ridiculous premise for a thread. It's not even the best "the world people are living in is actually a lie" movie of its time.

Mar 29, 2018
Maybe you're just trolling, but this is so wrong. I mean, did you watch the movie? Even the more 'difficult' segments of the movie (Dawn of Man) are iconic pieces of cinema that still resonate with our struggle to cope with technology today.

To put it into perspective, 2001 created the entire visual language of space travel, which we still use today, before we put someone on the moon.
I don't disagree with OP, but OP FaceHugger must heed this post

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
51VBoz7p8bL.jpg

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matrix Reloaded still has the best fight sequences of the franchise, and arguably the best of the decade.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
The matrix is a good Action Sci-Fi film and while I enjoy it, it isn't the best sci-fi film made ever. In a world of Metropolis, 2001, BladeRunner(and sequel), La Jetee(12 monkeys), MM: Fury Road, Alien, Solaris (the original), Iron Giant, Brazil, Ghost in the shell (1996), Something by Alex Garland (probably Sunshine/Ex Machina), etc it'll fit in the top 10 sort of. But not the best.

The Matrix was pop-culture influential with bullettime, redpill, etc and it came at a perfect time. 1999 when people still had a lot of uncertainty about the future in ways, Y2K, and other things.

I'd like to add Primer but the film seems largely forgotten after the 2000s.

Is 12 monkeys that good? Maybe i should watch it....

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
The matrix is a good Action Sci-Fi film and while I enjoy it, it isn't the best sci-fi film made ever. In a world of Metropolis, 2001, BladeRunner(and sequel), La Jetee(12 monkeys), MM: Fury Road, Alien, Solaris (the original), Iron Giant, Brazil, Ghost in the shell (1996), Something by Alex Garland (probably Sunshine/Ex Machina), etc it'll fit in the top 10 sort of. But not the best.

The Matrix was pop-culture influential with bullettime, redpill, etc and it came at a perfect time. 1999 when people still had a lot of uncertainty about the future in ways, Y2K, and other things.

Your list is the perfect Primer for the genre. Speaking of which, it's a damn shame it doesn't get more love.

Obligatory xkcd: https://xkcd.com/657/

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alien and Aliens
Terminator 1
Blade Runner and BR 2049
Matrix

I know people love to wank over 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I've always found it to be tedious.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Go ahead and rewatch 2001.

It's boring.

Says nothing about the modern world, which sci-fi should.

Never understood the 2001 love.

Wow, how did I miss this post?

2001 explores:
-the advancement of AI
-humanity's place in the universe
-humanity vs. technology
-the evolution of humanity, both natural and technological

It's a film full of big ideas that were relevant is '68 and is even more relevant now as technology rapidly progresses more and more.

Also, in my opinion, anyone who finds 2001 boring is too impatient to appreciate it. Slow doesn't equal boring. 2001 is a feast for the eyes, ears and mind. It is one of the most enthralling movies to ever grace cinema.

Last edited:

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, it really, really isn't though. Not even in my top 10. I think it aged like spoiled milk. But hey, opinions, whatever.

Oct 27, 2017
Member with username "facehugger" says "The Matrix" is better than the movie from which their username is introduced. Did not see that coming.

I can't blend the Matrix movies all together like that. The first one is certainly under consideration though. At the time it was very different and stood out. I saw it 4 times in the theater myself, so it ranks rather highly indeed.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I was a real dum dum when the movie came out, and did not understand anything. I think I thought the movie was about a virus inside a computer. Didn't get any of the red pill vs blue pill stuff.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Op is absolutely right. People putting 2001 haven't watched 2001 in a very long time or are just cray cray. 2001 was the most Influential probably followed by Metropolis and then Blade Runner but if you layer on it actually being a good movie. Then Matrix wins

How are you counting MM FR?

Also Primer! Sunshine and Ex Machina!? Well that's it for my day I have to go to bed

Last edited:

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Member with username "facehugger" says "The Matrix" is better than the movie from which their username is introduced. Did not see that coming.

I can't blend the Matrix movies all together like that. The first one is certainly under consideration though. At the time it was very different and stood out. I saw it 4 times in the theater myself, so it ranks rather highly indeed.

Oh shit. I didn't even notice that until now.

Da fuk, OP?

Op is absolutely right. People putting 2001 haven't watched 2001 in a very long time or are just cray cray. No other sci-fi movie had the impact on cinema the way the Matrix did

I watch 2001 multiple times every year. And I ain't cray cray, it is considered one of the greatest films of all time for a reason.

The Matrix is impactful for sure, but sleeping on the impact on 2001 is a mistake, both for sci-fi and cinema as a whole. Here's some insight from various film folks:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/apr/02/50-years-of-2001-a-space-odyssey-stanley-kubrick

John Gaeta, visual effects supervisor, The Matrix

I could dot-connect where I am today back to being a young man watching 2001. Kubrick allowed Douglas Trumbull to explore and envision things by any means necessary. And that led to startling breakthroughs and a level of immersion we haven't seen before. The Wachowskis [Lana and Lilly, sibling directors of The Matrix] acted very much for me like Kubrick acted with him. They told me to find the form that allows a concept to resonate, which led to Bullet Time. And now I'm at Magic Leap, working on augmented reality.

HAL is really the first mass understanding that artificial intelligence could exist. The people building those interfaces use films like 2001 as guides and influences. The film is completely contemporary in its idea that AI could destroy us. We're within five years of that moment now. Not necessarily in the exact context of that story, but in the context of AI overruling us on something important. The next step is what Spike Jonze was talking about in Her. 2001 was basically off by 20 years.

Last edited:

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't know about the greatest, but it definitely is among the greatest. it mainstreamed a lot of new technologies and made kung fu in movies cool to a new generation of movie goers.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might be the worst and most objectively wrong movie opinion I've seen on Era. And that is saying A LOT.

It's a good movie, but it's nowhere near the top of the genre. Your favorite??? Sure, that's fine. Better than 2001? No. Laughable.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2001 and Blade Runner are kinda in their own category, they're almost like art films.

But I do think Matrix certainly has a case against things like Alien, Terminator, Robocop, etc.

I'll be honest Alien/Aliens are fun to watch but it's basically just a slasher movie in outer space with not a lot of story depth past that. The xenomorph alien is outerspace Michael Myers basically.

Terminator has B-movie horror roots as well and while the second one elevates that formula, I still think Matrix is right there.

The bit where Agent Smith talks about the nature of humanity to Morpheus is great.

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 90s are the best decade for action movies PERIOD. It started strong 1990 with Total Recall and ended with one of the most influential action movies ever. And so much gold in between. I'm really curious how Matrix 4 will turn out.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I think it has the best idea ever presented in a sci-fi story.

The fight scene is not that great, even Collin Chou has better outside of the matrix:

Anything with Michael Jai White also shits over Matrix fights.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am including all Matrix films as they bleed together.

Uh, that certainly weakens your thesis. The sequels aren't remotely in the same ballpark as the original.

It's Blade Runner. Also is more influential.

Matrix is a mix of many ideas already seen, especially in manga, with a great budget.

So was Blade Runner, really. Both of them re-codified cyberpunk in ways that had never been seen before in cinema, yet were inspired in other forms of media like literature (Blade Runner), comics (both of them) and manga (Matrix). This doesn't make them any less groundbreaking.

Gattaca is great and its subject matter is not explored often enough.

I should give it another watch. I recall greatly enjoying it but finding something odd about the tone. However, I can't remember specifically why that was the case.

Gattaca is one of my favorite movies of all time. Its tone is pretty unique in that it's sometimes warm and hopeful, and others cold and heartbreaking. Frankly it's one of the things I love the most about it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly say the only big Hollywood action/adventure/sci-fi genre films that match The Matrix 1 since its release are the LOTR trilogy.

Everything else ... MCU, Star Wars post OT, even the Nolan Batman films are a notch or two or three below.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Gattaca is one of my favorite movies of all time. Its tone is pretty unique in that it's sometimes warm and hopeful, and others cold and heartbreaking. Frankly it's one of the things I love the most about it.

Thank you, that's exactly what it is. It is cold and sterile, and yet very sentimental, often simultaneously, iirc. Nolan sort of does something similar, but it doesn't come across as genuine in the way that Gattaca does.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I remember it definitely helped push the DVD format because everyone wanted the DVD when it came out.