• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel like this isn't even debatable. It encapsulates the world as it radically changed at the tale end of the 90's without even realizing it. It was an original work outdoing such greats as novels even from William Gibson.

Also the greatest fight scene in western cinema:
www.youtube.com

Kung Fu: Neo vs Morpheus | The Matrix [Open Matte]

The Matrix (1999)Scene: Kong Fu: Neo vs MorpheusPlaylist: https://is.gd/ZaNrdDStoryline: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true natur...

The realistic hacking scene pre-2010, actually using nmap to find an open port:

Still watchable today.

I am including all Matrix films as they bleed together.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Funny, I woke up this morning and thought about that as well. Might have been one of the most influencial movies of the decade.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about "best", but most influential for sure. It changed cinema forever and I feel the Wachowskis don't get enough credit for that, even if their output aftewards was a little underwhelming.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its good but certainly not the best sci-fi movie ever made. I would put 2001, Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell (anime) or even Arrival before it any day.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
It's Blade Runner. Also is more influential.

Matrix is a mix of many ideas already seen, especially in manga, with a great budget.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Thats a weird way of spelling Attack of the Clones.
visible.jpg

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's great.

The sequels are slightly less great, but still great, and fairly unappreciated. A bit like the Back to the Future sequels. There's no argument the original film is the best, one of the goats.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun action movie. I like it lot.

Best sci-fi movie ever? Absolutely not.

Disclaimer: Any rhyming in this post is completely unintentional, but left as is when discovered by author.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I never loved it very much but it's fun enough . I actually don't see the matrix as being terribly influential - I can't point works (besides trashy derivative stuff) which are clearly influenced by the matrix. Blade runner, 2001, alien 1/2, have all clearly affected sci fi - but the matrix? It had a strong visual identity, copied for a little while after the movie came out. But now? What has the movie left us? It popularized the real or simulated trope, but that was popular in sci fi before.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It is a great film but let's not get crazy here. It might just make the top 10 of best sci-fi films.

The sequels were super disappointing at the time but in retrospect they are not that bad.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Also the greatest fight scene in western cinema:
www.youtube.com

Kung Fu: Neo vs Morpheus | The Matrix [Open Matte]

The Matrix (1999)Scene: Kong Fu: Neo vs MorpheusPlaylist: https://is.gd/ZaNrdDStoryline: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true natur...
You don't watch enough Western Action Cinema. That scene is stiff due to the lack of experiance but everything else is amazing.

That's just one example. It is too late for me to do a list. There is better.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Ever?
Nahh.
Giorgio Moroder's 1984 re-versioning of Metropolis beats it easily.

Just watch the damn thing ok.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Go ahead and rewatch 2001.

It's boring.

Says nothing about the modern world, which sci-fi should.

Never understood the 2001 love.

Maybe you're just trolling, but this is so wrong. I mean, did you watch the movie? Even the more 'difficult' segments of the movie (Dawn of Man) are iconic pieces of cinema that still resonate with our struggle to cope with technology today.

To put it into perspective, 2001 created the entire visual language of space travel, which we still use today, before we put someone on the moon.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I never loved it very much but it's fun enough . I actually don't see the matrix as being terribly influential - I can't point works (besides trashy derivative stuff) which are clearly influenced by the matrix. Blade runner, 2001, alien 1/2, have all clearly affected sci fi - but the matrix? It had a strong visual identity, copied for a little while after the movie came out. But now? What has the movie left us? It popularized the real or simulated trope, but that was popular in sci fi before.
Bullet time

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
The matrix is a good Action Sci-Fi film and while I enjoy it, it isn't the best sci-fi film made ever. In a world of Metropolis, 2001, BladeRunner(and sequel), La Jetee(12 monkeys), MM: Fury Road, Alien, Solaris (the original), Iron Giant, Brazil, Ghost in the shell (1996), Something by Alex Garland (probably Sunshine/Ex Machina), etc it'll fit in the top 10 sort of. But not the best.

The Matrix was pop-culture influential with bullettime, redpill, etc and it came at a perfect time. 1999 when people still had a lot of uncertainty about the future in ways, Y2K, and other things.

I'd like to add Primer but the film seems largely forgotten after the 2000s.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Maybe not of all time but it's certainly one of the best modern Sci-Fi movies. It still holds up today and is just an all round excellent movie. Definitely worthy of anyone's top 10 list.