• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you have preferred the MCC to launch?

• All at once, even if it launched later.

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • One by one, like they're doing.

Votes: 167 69.9%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
For those of you who've been living under a rock for the past week, Halo Reach as a part of the Master Chief Collection is releasing today on PC, being the first Halo Title to be released on the platform in quite some time. However, despite it being a collection, only Reach is available for now until the first Halo arrives after the holidays and after that it'll be a wait for each game until all of them release in 2020.

This is honestly... kinda great as weird as it sounds. While releasing all of them at once would've definitely made the internet melt or whatever, with that not only do you guarantee there's gonna be a shitton of server issues and glitches across all the games in the collection, but it makes every entry feel a little less "special". For the last week or so I've been watching the Halo Reach trailers, reading a couple of old reviews, and so are other people. The game is getting a "launch-lite" of sorts, and so will every game in the MCC when they eventually arrive.

So, I think it's actually cool they went this route. The end result is still the same, the games get mini-launches that also allow discussion of each one to breathe and to have mini-hype cycles for every game. Do you agree with this way being better?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Ideally I'd like it on launch for all of the games but I don't trust the dev. enough to release all games at once and not having issues big time.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
considering the nightmare launch MCC had originally and how public facing the flights have been, its a REALLY nice change of pace

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I love this method of content release and honestly wish this kinda modular downloading was an industry standard with the size of games these days.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
The original MCC was the worst launch of any AAA game I've played in the last decade. So one at a time is ideal. That said, I wish they had gone in release order, instead.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I think it's great as it allows every game to be celebrated a bit as opposed to being overwhelmed all at once and more importantly 343 won't be overwhelmed. Really highlights how much value you're getting as well, that these games are somehow 10 bucks a pop.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not really.

Discussion helps as you said, but a lot of people in the 'episodic is better' camp need to learn some self control.

Will wait till at least the 5 good ones are out, if not a sale

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
After being burned to hell and back with the original MCC launch, I'd much rather have 343i take things slow this time around.

I don't think this is "better," though. The ideal scenario is all of them being out at the same time, running well and with working online systems.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Nah. I didn't know, loaded the 'collection' up to find one game, and rolled my eyes so hard I pulled a muscle.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
People who prefer waiting can just... wait. So everyone's happy!
Also keeps the playerbase at least somewhat focused until the next one. Not a bad call.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it if Halo 1 came out first. I've never played any of the games before and would like to start at the beginning. I know Reach is the prologue, but I would rather start where everyone did. Kinda like how you should watch A New Hope before Phantom Menace.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
No because the only reason they're doing this is because it was screwed up the first time. I'd rather get everything at once but I'll take what I can get on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
The one at a time method works great for me. But my opinion is colored by the fact I only really want Reach, maybe I'll play CE and ODST again somewhere down the line.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Personally speaking, if it would come at no expense to the games' quality (which I know it would in reality, hence the staggered release), I would prefer having it all at once since I've already played the whole series a ton over the years.

That said, I think a staggered release is smart and a good decision not just because of the devs being able to give each game the time it needs to come out polished, but also because it lets newcomers to the series on PC really take in and see everything that each game has to offer before moving on to the next one. Almost makes each new addition to the collection an event and, really, a new game release.

Oct 30, 2017
After being burned to hell and back with the original MCC launch, I'd much rather have 343i take things slow this time around.

I don't think this is "better," though. The ideal scenario is all of them being out at the same time, running well and with working online systems.
That doesn't happen often anymore. The last MP game I played that launched with relatively few issues was Apex Legends.

Jan 4, 2018
The original MCC was the worst launch of any AAA game I've played in the last decade. So one at a time is ideal. That said, I wish they had gone in release order, instead.
I think the fact that only Reach was missing on Xbox and that it still makes sense as a starting point (though I prefer release order too) made it so they could concentrate everybody on that game and then they can "forget" about Xbox and concentrate on MCC PC (and Infinite)

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I think it's great as it allows every game to be celebrated a bit as opposed to being overwhelmed all at once and more importantly 343 won't be overwhelmed. Really highlights how much value you're getting as well, that these games are somehow 10 bucks a pop.

Yeah, i feel it actually gives the individual games more time to shine instead of just being dumped all at once. It probably means better support too, as it effectively gets GAAS type development.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's how it should've been in the first place back when it launched on Xbox One. As cool as it is to collect all these games together, I find it unfortunate that Halo 2 had to share the spotlight on its anniversary and that the H2A MP had to share the spotlight with 4 other MP games when it's the only example of a modern "Classic Halo" we've had since 343 took over. I'm looking forward to when H2 comes to PC and that MP can get the attention it deserves.

And I'm glad that Reach is getting all the attention right now.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, i kinda wanted to play through them all in story order from Halo 1, so i find it weird they started with Reach :/

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda pathetic tbh. How hard can it be to port these ancient games?
Releasing the newer games before the older games doesn't help, too. After playing Reach it will be hard to return to Halo 1+2.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
The only thing that's it's good for is not splitting up the player base off the cuff. But I really would like to play halo 3 MP. Like right meow

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, not even a little. The only benefit is 343 can take the time to make sure it's done right and is the product it always should have been. Which, going by the work put in thus far, they completely nailed this time.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like the idea. it gives players time to absorb each game in its own entirety, have more focused attention on the multiplayer for each title and also nip any issues in the bud rather than try to play whack a mole like they did with MCC when it initially came out on the xbox one.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I would prefer to be able to play the Halo games I want today but as long as they don't lose momentum by the time they release Halo 2 or 3 ill be happy. If it ends up bringing excited players to Halo 2 and 3 in the same way it is to Reach today then great.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
All at ones would have been great. But looking at it realistically this is better. Its 6 games etc. MCC history, first on PC.
This is the way.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
It's perfect... Can't wait for Halo CE to get it's own online spotlight for the first time since the original PC port.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, Reach was the toughest to bring to PC so they started with it first. The others should be much quicker releases. I don't remember if they have a release schedule but it seems like Halo CE would be the next easiest considering the Xbone Halo CE MCC is literally a modified PC port itself.
Halo 2 was also on PC.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's kinda pathetic tbh. How hard can it be to port these ancient games?
Releasing the newer games before the older games doesn't help, too. After playing Reach it will be hard to return to Halo 1+2.
Porting games is not as easy as pressing the "port" button, especially for PC when the games were designed for a very specific, now ancient hardware.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
It would be amazing to see it launch with all games in the collection, but considering how massive the project is, running like 9 engines, and the amount of content in it, I'd honestly rather them take it slow and steady.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's great. Otherwise Reach multiplayer would be basically dead on arrival. This guarantees each title gets a few months at least of active playerbase.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Halo expert but I think it's the best way to populate every game's multiplayer. If they released them all at once people would gravitate towards the 1 or 2 that are considered the best.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I am usually against games being releases in "piecemeal" fashion, but I'll allow it with MCC given how problematic and bad the original release was at the time. Just a bit disappointed that they started with Reach, but I get it.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am fine with it, but I also wish they started with Halo 1. I am happy they are polishing this up the best they can. Once the whole thing is out it will be one of the best deals in gaming honestly.

New002

Oct 25, 2017

All of this. Given how MCC went the first time around this approach is for the best, but it's not the ideal one in a "perfect world."

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
If there's a separate multiplayer for each game then I think it's cool to do it one at a time.